Danish Crown Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I don’t think so. I think that they are all privately owned. I also think that all the Tiara’s were bought at auction for the new brides. If Jokuem (sorry don’t know the spelling) remarries will his wife get a new one?

Are there any tiaras that are part of the Crown Jewels?

Yes the Emerald parure, A link to a picture is in post 26 of this thread

There is a wonderful and informative book by Bjarne Steen Jensen called Juvelerne i det danske Kongehus that I've heard about in the past, and according to an interview, he is apparently going to update his book in English and may be published by an Austrailan publishing house. Let's cross our fingers that it will be. I would love to read it and I imagine that it's filled with thorough research and exhaustive information about the Danish royal jewels.

To read this very interesting interview (yes, it's in English) with Bjarne please click [URL="http://royal-jewels2.blogspot.com/2006/03/interview-with-bjarne-steen-jensen_22.html"]here[/URL] or visit his site [URL="http://www.royal-jewelry.dk/123/"]here[/URL].

Last edited:
Thanks jcb!!

Interesting, at the bottom of that page, it says that Joachim owns the diamond drop tiara. Is there truth in that?

If Bjarne says it, then it must be true. He has amazing access to the collection. It actually makes sense tha the tiara would belong to Joachim and that it was given to Alexandra to wear in her role as his wife, but then they divorced. I suppose it's like Diana, Princess of Wales--she kept the pieces "given" to her as a lifetime loan, but on her death they reverted back to the Crown. I suppose on Alexandra's death they will revert to Joachim, or one of the boys, or the Crown. We don't really know the specifics (sigh)

Thanks jcb!!

Interesting, at the bottom of that page, it says that Joachim owns the diamond drop tiara. Is there truth in that?

It was assumed that the tiara is owned by Prince Joachim. But after the divorce when Alexandra was wearing it for some Event it was stated by someone that it actually was a personal gift to Alexandra. The mentioned
book came out before this Information.

The emerals are truly amazing. What are the chains for on the earrings, do they go over the ear to screw in the back?

Amethyst (1305 carats/261 g.) in a casing with Christian V's name in Gold on Enamel, possibly made by Paul Kurtz in 1671. The jewel was only used when the kings sat on the throne during the anointing.

This thing is huge! I was lucky enought to see in person. It is so beautiful!!

Where can I buy the book by Bjarne Steen Jensen, "Juvelerne i Det Danske Kongehus" Thank you,

Dear Friends,
Amazon does not have the book by Bjarne Steen Jensen. I have even written an e-mail to the publisher for information on how to get his book on the royal jewelry. Can anyone please help me. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Muellera,

It looks like the book is out of print: Juvelerne i det danske kongehus af Bjarne Steen Jensen - køb bogen hos SAXO.com

A new book (or perhaps a revision of the old book?) -I'm sure some of the Danish posters or Jewelry experts on this board will know) called "De kongelige juveler" is listed on the same site. This book is supposed to be published next year.

I've ordered books before from this site and have had no problems - but it is very expensive.

Regards.

I like some of the Danish crown jewels especially some pieces worn by Queen Margarethe II,Crown princess Mary and princess Marie except I debt really have much of a liking of the Queen's orange poppy tiara.

A very nice nine pic gallery of one of the sets among the crown jewels: Se billederne: Her er dronningens uvurderlige smaragder | www.bt.dk

Not sure what this set is called in English, (emerald parure?) but here in DK it's known as the Smaragd set.
The reason for this gallery is that we are getting close to Christmas and a new book about the jewels used by QMII and emeralds in general is in the stores.
In it's current configuration it consists of 18 emeralds, 882 briliants and 127 rose stones (whatever that is).

Here are the pics in high res: http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/973/6/2048x-u/6973555-kort-om-smaragdsttet---ny.jpg

http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/973/6/2048x-u/6973518-kort-om-smaragdsttet---2.jpg

http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/973/6/x2048-u/6973520-kort-om-smaragdsttet---4.jpg

http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/973/6/x2048-u/6973519-kort-om-smaragdsttet---3.jpg

http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/973/6/2048x-u/6973516-kongehuset-har-verdens-fineste-smaragder---5.jpg

The value, as far as it can possibly be estimated, has been compared to a emerald set owned by Elizabeth Taylor, which was sold in 2011.
A brooch of 23.56 carats was sold for 39.47 million DKK. (Roughly 7 million $).
The necklace went for 56.78 million DKK (roughly 10 million $) and a ring was sold for 19.8 million DKK. (Roughly 3.5 million $).

The Danish set is a little less than 200 carats altogether. The author of the book claims that the emeralds with 99.99 % certainty stems from the Columbian mine Mozo

The book, should you be interested, is by Nina Hald - Smaragder, slebet skønhed Smaragder af Nina Hald (Bog, indbundet) - Køb bogen hos SAXO.com
ISBN-13:9788792894304

Other books by Nina Hald, who appears to know what she is talking about, can be found here: Du søgte: 'nina hald' - Find bogen hos SAXO.com

Last edited:
Loaning Tiara's

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this discussion

I was looking through the tiara's owned by Queen Margrethe and noticed that she has never loaned one to her daughter's-in-law. At first I thought maybe she just doesn't loan her tiaras but there are photo's showing that she has loaned them to other family members.
Does anyone know why CP Mary and Princess Marie so far haven't borrowed tiaras from Queen Margrethe?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this discussion

I was looking through the tiara's owned by Queen Margrethe and noticed that she has never loaned one to her daughter's-in-law. At first I thought maybe she just doesn't loan her tiaras but there are photo's showing that she has loaned them to other family members.
Does anyone know why CP Mary and Princess Marie so far haven't borrowed tiaras from Queen Margrethe?

Yes, the stipulation for the Crown Jewels at least is that they are for the Queen only.
But QMII is the Monarch, I doubt anyone would batter an eyelid of she allowed Mary to wear some of the Crown Jewels. On the contrary in fact. - I personally think the jewels would be much more exiting to follow, so to speak, if the primary female members of the DRF took turns wearing them.

Yes, the stipulation for the Crown Jewels at least is that they are for the Queen only.
But QMII is the Monarch, I doubt anyone would batter an eyelid of she allowed Mary to wear some of the Crown Jewels. On the contrary in fact. - I personally think the jewels would be much more exiting to follow, so to speak, if the primary female members of the DRF took turns wearing them.

I would love to see Mary in some of the bigger tiaras. I think it is way past time that she adds another tiara to her repertoire. :whistling:

And I think she may be the only one to make that poppy head piece look good tbh.

I can understand that Queen Margrethe keeps the Crown jewels for herself. But i think it would be nice if she would share her other jewels like the Baden palmette tiara or the trqiose bandeau with her daughter-in-laws and could ion the other side borrow the ruby Parure from mary. And i think it would have been better to keep the Dagmar floral tiara and share these to with both daughter-in-laws instead of gifting it to Marie (and the same for the Alexandrine drop tiara) so to keep the collection intact.

Because like we see with the Jewels once given to Princess Caroline-Mathildethe tend to beeing auctioned off at some point.

At first I thought maybe she just doesn't loan her tiaras but there are photo's showing that she has loaned them to other family members.

The only loan I can remember seeing is the turquoise tiara to Theodora once. Have there been other instances?

The only loan I can remember seeing is the turquoise tiara to Theodora once. Have there been other instances?

She has loaned out the Baden tiara, the Dagmar tiara (prior to Marie), and the turquoise. I think both of Benedikte's daughters have worn the Baden. She loaned the Dagmar to her mother-in-law and her niece.

Last edited:
When did Queen Margrethe II loan the Dagmar Tiara to her mother-in-law?

She has loaned out the Baden tiara, the Dagmar tiara (prior to Marie), and the turquoise. I think both of Benedikte's daughters have worn the Baden. She loaned the Dagmar to her mother-in-law and her niece.

Thank you for this info! I'm glad to read that QM has been kind to her nieces, since she seems to keep a pretty firm grip on her tiaras. I would imagine that she feels that all her daughters-in-law were generously given a tiara at marriage, with Mary also having use of the ruby parure, and that those pieces should be plenty for them.

I think that was when Queen Ingrid was still alive and the Baden tiara still belonged to her.

Back
Top Bottom