The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
https://t.co/TnRPsrklks

Breaking ; Swedish Regalia STOLEN

That is terrible ! I hope they can recover it from the thieves or the loss will be incalculable.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:31 PM
Royal Highness

What I wonder is how this even happened? Aren't these historical artifacts guarded or locked safe somewhere in a vault? People just can't wonder into a church and steal things can they........I do not think that something like this *just happened*, it seems planned and calculated to me for this to happen. I really pray that the artifacts are found safe and not harmed in any way.....this is so sad for the entire country as it is part of their history...

Old 07-31-2018, 05:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That is terrible ! I hope they can recover it from the thieves or the loss will be incalculable.
It seems to me that these thieves have made a huge mistake. What do they think they will do with the items? Sell them? One thing I know is that they won't sleep a good night's sleep until they're captured and brought to justice. They'll have a cozy bed in a nice, warm cell.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-31-2018, 07:13 PM
Courtier

Swedish Crown Jewels are STOLEN from Strngns Cathedral | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I also wonder what the plan is but I assume they had a plan. Hopefully it's not melting it as that would sem the only eay they could get a lot of vslue out of it. Offering them up for sale is a sure way to prison.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:53 PM
Courtier

That's shocking...

These are very old jewels and by the look of it, there isn't much value in the gold and stones other than it being historical. I wonder what the thieves plan to gain from it, unless they have some sort of collector that's willing to pay for it?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:17 PM
Majesty

There are plenty of gold items on display elsewhere if people wished to steal precious metals. IMO these precious historical items were probably stolen for a collector to feast his eyes on in some private part of his home.

I hope I'm wrong because, unless the actual thieves are prepared to talk if they are caught, items taken for a specific purpose for a very wealthy collector are incredibly difficult to track down.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

This is an unfortunate experience. Do you believe the people had calculated this well in advance?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:56 PM
Royal Highness

Yes I do believe that this was planned in advance.........just how not could it be? Are these artifacts left out in the open in the church? Does not the people that run or operate the church realize that there are thieves out there in this world? Goodness that is dumb founded to even think that way........these are antiques of historical purpose and they will be so easy to spot somewhere, like Curryong said I am strongly believing that some person wants these for their own sole purpose to have and enjoy hidden from everyone, a collector and if so then they are long gone. I now hope the government and royal family realize that any other artifacts sitting around in churches are now taken away to be locked in vaults and brought out only with guards when they are needed. I am appalled that this happened in Sweden of all places.....just look what is lost in history and look at all the ancient artifacts lose in Iran during that time period when there was war, and this is not a war zone here.......yes I am shocked by this and saddened....
Old 08-01-2018, 01:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

Yes I do believe that this was planned in advance.........just how not could it be? Are these artifacts left out in the open in the church? Does not the people that run or operate the church realize that there are thieves out there in this world? Goodness that is dumb founded to even think that way........these are antiques of historical purpose and they will be so easy to spot somewhere, like Curryong said I am strongly believing that some person wants these for their own sole purpose to have and enjoy hidden from everyone, a collector and if so then they are long gone. I now hope the government and royal family realize that any other artifacts sitting around in churches are now taken away to be locked in vaults and brought out only with guards when they are needed. I am appalled that this happened in Sweden of all places.....just look what is lost in history and look at all the ancient artifacts lose in Iran during that time period when there was war, and this is not a war zone here.......yes I am shocked by this and saddened....
The regalia was kept in sealed alarmed glass boxes and stolen right before the lunch service held in the church every day so it's not as if they're just laying around in a corner somewhere.
You can't just pack up all historical church objects and put them in storage somewhere. That would leave the country's churches empty.
I doubt that the Royal Family have any say in anything about these artifacts. They are either State or Church property and the Crown jewels that I've seen articles and posters on both the forums and Twitter confuse them with are kept at maximum security in the vaults beneath Stockholm Palace.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 AM
Royal Highness

This is very shocking news. The tragedy may be if they prise out the pearls and precious stones to sell separately and melt the gold. At the moment it is very hot property unless they have a prearranged buyer/dealer as some of you have suggested.

Here's hoping the authorities retrieve the items unharmed. People do get emotional about their National treasures and rightly so.
Enough beautiful treasures were lost and destroyed during WW1 & WW2 from all over Europe.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Crowns and Royal Regalia

How did they get from the church to the boat with it all ? Did they carry it ? Running down the street ? Lots dont make sense
Old 08-01-2018, 02:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
How did they get from the church to the boat with it all ? Did they carry it ? Running down the street ? Lots dont make sense
There's only a few hundred metres between the church and the water so a run is the most probable. The two crowns and the orb can't have been that hard to carry.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Crowns and Royal Regalia

So there was no one guarding them ??
I would have thought they would have several guards Goodness what a disaster
Old 08-01-2018, 06:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
So there was no one guarding them ? Goodness what a disaster
The items were displayed in sealed alarmed glass boxes. While no guards I'm sure there is a perfectly adequate security system in the church. Unfortunately it wasn't enough.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Gentry

Anything new about the jewels? This seems very planned operation. Just wondering what could be motive. These are impossible sell anyone and surely thieves aren't so stupid that they would try that. Probably this they are after of ransom or they are hired by someone rich, greed and immoral treasure collector. Hopefully Swedish police and perhaps Interpol can capture these thieves.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Majesty

The heist is odd/puzzling as it would be impossible to sell the pieces.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich Karl II View Post
Anything new about the jewels? This seems very planned operation. Just wondering what could be motive. These are impossible sell anyone and surely thieves aren't so stupid that they would try that. Probably this they are after of ransom or they are hired by someone rich, greed and immoral treasure collector. Hopefully Swedish police and perhaps Interpol can capture these thieves.
They could be amateurs.

A big bronze age gold-horn was stolen from a museum in DK some years ago.
Totally priceless and of enormous historical value.
Except that it was a replica...
The amateur thieves hadn't done their homework, they just saw an opportunity.

I wonder if it is something similar in this case?
They saw an opportunity and went for it without really thinking through what to do afterwards.
Let's hope that.

The items stolen are so red-hot that it will be extremely difficult to sell them (except on order, as has been suggested.) but then a ruthless goldsmith will only require a few hours to pry out the gems and melt down the gold.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I find it staggering that they were able to steal such an important part of Swedish royal history so easily; though I do remember being at the Tower of London a couple of years ago and being surprised at the seemingly lack of security (this was in 2015 though so I don't know if security has tightened since then) round "our" crown jewels here in England.
One would think that it would be difficult for burglars to steal such precious and antique items of jewellery, I hope the SRF manages to get them back soon.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Royal Highness

To JR76. I hope you will be able to keep us up to date with news of the stolen items.
I thank you in advance. Cheers T.

Tags
crown jewels, crowns, royal regalia