The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Aristocracy

The Maori king wore a fine cloak which belonged to his mother and I believe belonged to the 2nd Maori King Tawhiao. Also, during his coronation he sat on a carved throne which was originally made for the 3rd Maori King Mahuta.

The woven panel seen at the top here, is the same panel seen at the bottom of King Tuheitia's cloak.

Te Arikinui Te Atairangikaahu on her coronation day on the same throne used by her son 40 years later and wearing the same cloak as him.

Note the bible being placed on her head, this was the same bible used to crown the first Maori King Potatau in 1858. This has been used at every coronation since.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Serene Highness

Can anyone help me find the Crown of Pepin (Charlemagne's son, made King of Italy)? I would love to see it in its current location.

I hope this image of it shows up.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Can anyone help me find the Crown of Pepin (Charlemagne's son, made King of Italy)? I would love to see it in its current location.

I hope this image of it shows up.
I've never seen that Crown before,the only Italian Crowns I knew of were the The Iron Crown of Lombardy & Napoleon's Coronation Crown.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Serene Highness

I just recently discovered the existence of this crown while reading biographical material on Pepin, second son of Charlemagne. Pepin and his son Bernard were both crowned with this crown, then it went to one of Louis I's sons, after Bernard was killed by Louis I. I really love its combination of gold leaves and natural elements with the intricate, wavey geometric patterns and the discreet use of what I assume are rubies or carnelians, but would love to know more about it.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Commoner

This link Crown jewels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia gives a good run down of the crown jewels of just about every monarchy.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I just recently discovered the existence of this crown while reading biographical material on Pepin, second son of Charlemagne. Pepin and his son Bernard were both crowned with this crown, then it went to one of Louis I's sons, after Bernard was killed by Louis I. I really love its combination of gold leaves and natural elements with the intricate, wavey geometric patterns and the discreet use of what I assume are rubies or carnelians, but would love to know more about it.
From what I have read Peppin was crowned by Pope Hadrian I with the Iron crown of Lombardy which I posted a picture below of.

File:Iron Crown.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If there is another, it is likely in a vault. The crown jewels of Italty are in a bank vault. The bank of Italy is in possession of them in a dispute with the house of Savoi over ownership.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Serene Highness

From what I have read, Charlemagne had a separate crown (the one in my avatar) created for Pepin.

However, it was probably some web-based source like Wikipedia.

Nevertheless, the crown in my avatar exists and everywhere I see it, it is called the Crown of Pepin, King of Italy.

Thank you for the information about where the Italian crown jewels are (that's a pity, but I should have expected)

Edited to add:

Alas, I am a dull and overly optimistic at the same time. The crown in my avatar is a reconstruction of this one:

...one of the several crowns of Charlemagne, the one he gave to his second son, Pepin, and the crown went on to Bernhard, and I'm not even sure it still exists.

Hence, the attempt at reconstruction (by more than one person). Well, at least that means maybe I can get one!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Polish Crown Jewels

Polish Crown Jewels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Theft of The Irish Crown Jewels in 1907

Old 08-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darky View Post
Pics 2 : Crown of Empress Marie Louise
Was the crown of Empress Marie Louise made specifically for her?
If Yes, was the crown made in France or did it come from her father, the Emperor Francis (Franz)?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

Was the crown of Empress Marie Louise made specifically for her?
If Yes, was the crown made in France or did it come from her father, the Emperor Francis (Franz)?
Hi!
Yes, this crown was made specifically for the empress Marie Louise.

It was part of a the Ruby Parure created by François-Regnault Nitot (Nitot et fils jewellery) in 1811 at Paris.
The crown is made with gold, diamonds and rubies.
Is not a large crown, because it should be worn at the top of the head and stopped with a brooch (like the crown of queen Ena of Spain).
The height is 10 cm and the diameter is 14,4 cm.

The crown was dismantled in 1887. Recently the jewellery Chaumet, heir of the Nitot et fils, has made a replica of the crown and todays it is exposed at Chaumet Collection at Paris. Anyway the replica is made with silver, white sapphires, diamonds and red garnets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corona Imperiale Francese (Maria Luisa).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	292225   Click image for larger version

Name:	wpid-Photo-Dec-14-2013-1057-PM.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	292226  
Old 08-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Serene Highness

IlMilanese, Thank you for all the details of Empress Marie Louise's crown. A very grand crown!!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Serene Highness

I like the St. Edward's crown.
I like the fact that the coronation crown was named for the Anglo-Saxon monarch, Edward the Confessor.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Serene Highness

In The Royals Their Lives, Loves and Secrets, I saw a photograph of the coronation crown of Britain's Queen Adelaide, 1831.

Has any Queen worn this crown since Adelaide?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In The Royals Their Lives, Loves and Secrets, I saw a photograph of the coronation crown of Britain's Queen Adelaide, 1831.

Has any Queen worn this crown since Adelaide?
No. Traditionally, British Queens Consort have each had a personal crown made for their husbands' coronations, the last being that of Queen Elizabeth, wife of George VI. However, in today's climate, I would be surprised if this tradition continues and that the future Queens will wear either the crown of Queen Elizabeth or that of Queen Mary. (Queen Alexandra's and Queen Adelaide's were made to be worn high on top of the head, not fitted to it and subsequently have very small circumferences.)

Tags
crown jewels, crowns, royal regalia