Crowns and Royal Regalia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am curious what crown is set with the greatest number of gemstones? Is it the Imperial Crown of India?

About coronation rings: when reuler wear this ring ?

This is some of the swedish crown jewels. this is the jewels of the sovereign, including the crown from erik XVI (?) from the 1560s...

Last edited:
Mapple said:
I am curious what crown is set with the greatest number of gemstones? Is it the Imperial Crown of India?
Pure guesswork, but how about the Pahlavi coronation crown?

Probably might be. Some of the Russian crowns are pretty solidly encrusted with gems too.

I've thought about those ones...

The Imperial Crown of Russia, the most elaborate of the Russian crowns, contains circa 5,000 gems, the Pahlavi Crown--approximately 4,000.

The Imperial Crown of India, made in 1911 for George V and worn only once, is set with more than 6,100 stones...

i saw it and i just dont believe that all of that is real. im just speachless its so beautiful

King Christian 4. of Denmarks crown

How much do the crowns weight? They certainly look very impressive.

The Scandinavian Kingdoms have some of the most impressive, medival, royal and majestic crowns and royal jewels. It is a real shame they are not used any more. I would love to have the coronatins brought back. I know that they use the danish crown jewels at a monarchs funeral and the norwegian crown jewels at the annoitment ceremony, but what else do they use them for and does sweden use theirs.

Princejonnhy25 said:
The Scandinavian Kingdoms have some of the most impressive, medival, royal and majestic crowns and royal jewels. It is a real shame they are not used any more. I would love to have the coronatins brought back. I know that they use the danish crown jewels at a monarchs funeral and the norwegian crown jewels at the annoitment ceremony, but what else do they use them for and does sweden use theirs.

In sweden they have been on display at important cermonies such as the wedding between the king and queen in 1976. Then the kings crown and the queens crown where placed on small cusions at either side of the altar (do you say altar in english?). I don´t remember if they have been in use since then, maybe at the christenings, maybe someone else can help with that answer?.

The Swedish National Regalia are still used at the most important events of the country and in the Royal Family. For example at funerals, weddings, accessions of a new monarch, baptisms and things alike.

They are however not worn, as correctly pointed out here, but displayed (at a table) - marking the special moment and rare occasion of the country and in the Royal Family.

I believe that the last time we saw one of the royal crowns used in Sweden was at the death of Prince Bertil, when the Ducal Crown of Halland was displayed on his coffin during his laying-in-state, and present at the funeral (I have posted a few pictures from his funeral and lying-in-state where you can see the crown, the post can be found here).

Last edited:
betina said:
King Christian 4. of Denmarks crown

This is my favorite crown, much more royal looking than the crown of Danish kings that came afterwards. I chose it for my tinyhead.

The purpose of all the filigree work was to let rays of light stream out of the crown in all directions making the king appear as the source of light. A coronation must have been very impressive in those days.

does anybody know about the Greek and Spanish crowns, I know there's no Greek royalty anymore (in terms of state, because I know about Konstantinos & Co.;) ) and in Spain there's not a crowning because the king/queen does not wear it, but I'm curious to know where are their crowns, the only thing we see is the girls' tiaras...

It's interesting crisinaki. I couldn't find much about Spanish crowns other than this link.

http://www.crownminiatures.com/spain-alphonso.html

It says that the old crown jewels of Spain were destroyed by a fire in 1734 and this crown was created in the 19th century.

The site is fascinating; it's a business offering miniature crowns of several nations so you could gather a collection of most of the crowns of Europe.

thanks a lot for the link ysbel!!!
it's awesome and I recomend everybody to visit it :)

No it is not placed on the head of the monarch anymore. The original one was stolen I think and that is just a replica. The replica is still used in the ceremony it is just not actually put on the monarchs head.

That point could be very nasty.

Two Thai Crowns

pics from Escati.com...Kingdom of Thailand

The Kingdom of Thailand

Left: The Crown of Siam; Right: The Prince's Coronet

ThailandCrownofSiam.jpg
ThailandPrincesCoronet.jpg

Old pics of the Coronation as King and Queen of Hungary of the Emperor Karl of Austria and his wife the Empress Zita (neé Princess of Bourbon-Parma) in Budapest in 1916.
The Austrian side of the Dual Monarchy did not have a Coronation ceremony for the Emperor of Austria, or before that, of the Holy Roman Emperor.
No Hungarian King was considered legitimate until he had been crowned with the Crown of St Stephen. The golden pinnacle cross was knocked askew about 1790, and has remained at that angle since then.

The King Emperor is wearing the historic Crown of St Stephen (the lower part of which may date from the 1070s), while the Queen Empress is wearing the Hungarian Queen's Crown.
The Crown of St Stephen was seized by US troops during WWII and not returned to Hungary from its safe-keeping at Fort Knox until 1978.
pics courtsy Getty Images

Coronation of Emperor Karl & Empress Zita as King Charles IV and Queen of Hungary 1916,
with the young Archduke Otto (still alive today), Crown Prince of Hungary

EmperorKarlCoronation1916.jpg
. . . . . .
EmperorKarlIVEmpressZitaCrownPrince.jpg

Last edited:
The Five Royal Regalia of the Kingdom of Thailand

The Five Royal Regalia of the Kingdom of Thailand
RoyalRegalia-0.jpg

The Great Crown of Victory
RoyalRegalia-1.jpg

The Sword of Victory
RoyalRegalia-2.jpg

The Royal Staff
RoyalRegalia-3.jpg

The Royal Fan And The Royal White Elephant-Tail Whisk
RoyalRegalia-4.jpg

The Royal Slipper
RoyalRegalia-5.jpg

All the pictures are Scanned from Calendar 2006 of Bangkok Bank Plc.

Warren said:
pics from Escati.com...Kingdom of Thailand

The Kingdom of Thailand

Left: The Crown of Siam; Right: The Prince's Coronet

1. Both have to be heavy as heck, they should wear a head/neck supporter of some kind to bear that weight:rolleyes: :confused: :cool:
2. Did the DoE wear a crown in the coronation of QEII? Which one?

I think that I would want to keep this gorgeous crown too.

Back
Top Bottom