Sorgenfri Palace, Lyngby

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulette

Courtier
Country
Philippines
Sorgenfri Palace

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q79/MaryMessageBoard/Palaces/org-1.jpg

Sorgenfri Palace was built between 1705 and 1706 by Francois Dieussart for Count Carl Ahlefeldt.
The Palace has been property of the Royal Family since 1730.
King Frederik V gave the Palace to his aunt, Grand Duchess Sophie Caroline of East Friesland, when he became King in 1746. The Palace's main building was then demolished and a new Palace built in its place in 1756 and 1757.
Another renovation took place between 1791 and 1794 by the future Frederik VI.
In the time of King Christian X and his wife, Queen Alexandrine, Sorgenfri was the preferred summer residence of the Royal Family.
King Frederik IX and his brother Prince Knud were both born at the Palace.

The Danish Monarchy - Palaces - Sorgenfri Palace
---​
10. Sorgenfri Slot

11. Sorgenfri Slot

Attachments

• Sorgenfri_Slot.jpg
    Sorgenfri_Slot.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,914
  • Sorgenfri.jpg
    Sorgenfri.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 875
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorgenfri Palace and Palace Gardens

Since it was first built in 1706, Sorgenfri Palace in Lyngby has been rebuilt several times and the present Neoclassical palace with its characteristic steeple dates from the end of the 1700s. For most of its history the palace has been a Royal residence and is now at the disposal of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II. During the 20th century Sorgenfri was home to Christian X and Queen Alexandrine, then to their Heir Presumptive Knud and Caroline-Mathilde, and today to Earl Christian of Rosenborg. The palace is closed to the public but can be seen from a distance, e.g. from Lyngbyvej.

Sorgenfri Palace Gardens, which surround the castle, are peaceful, wooded landscape gardens situated close to Lyngby's shopping centre. Like many other palace gardens, these gardens were converted at the end of the 1700s and beginning of the 1800s from the baroque to the Anglo-romantic style with winding paths and numerous small surprises hidden among the trees.

If you follow the Mill Stream through the gardens, you will pass the small timber-frame cottage known as the Swiss House, a memorial bench to the poet Viggo Stuckenberg, the Grotto and The Queen's Well.

The Reserved Garden, which is the area of the gardens situated closest to Sorgenfri Palace, is reserved for the Royal Family and hence closed to the public. However, most of the gardens are permanently open to the public.

Paulette,
Nice presentation of the palaces.

paulette said:
Sorgenfri Slot

Isn't "no worries" the translation of "Sorgenfri" ?

I have been looking through this thread, and I have some questions:

Sorgenfri: Again, is it state or private property. Count Christian of Rosenborg and his wife are living there but not in the main house. Princess Elisabeth would have liked to live there but that was not possible. For what is the main residence used now?

Sorgenfri: Again, is it state or private property. Count Christian of Rosenborg and his wife are living there but not in the main house. Princess Elisabeth would have liked to live there but that was not possible. For what is the main residence used now?
Sorgenfri is like a lot of the other Danish palaces, historically belonging to the royal family, but in reality state property. I don't know what the main building is used for - but the palace is not open to the public.

Sorgenfri is like a lot of the other Danish palaces, historically belonging to the royal family, but in reality state property. I don't know what the main building is used for - but the palace is not open to the public.
I believe the main building is just empty nowadays - since Caroline Mathilde's (full name: Caroline-Mathilde Louise Dagmar Christiane Maud Augusta Ingeborg Thyra Adelheid!!) death in the mid-90s. Prince Knud's and Caroline-Mathilde's youngest son, Christian, lives with his wife in one of the wing buildings - called The Ladies' Wing.

And it is clear now why the Queen didn´t allow her cousin Elisabeth to live at Sorgenfri, it wasn´t in her right to grant that to the Princess as it is state property. Norwegianne, you said that Princess Elisabeth lives in North Copenhagen, does she have an appartment there or a villa?

I believe the main building is just empty nowadays - since Caroline Mathilde's (full name: Caroline-Mathilde Louise Dagmar Christiane Maud Augusta Ingeborg Thyra Adelheid!!) death in the mid-90s. Prince Knud's and Caroline-Mathilde's youngest son, Christian, lives with his wife in one of the wing buildings - called The Ladies' Wing.

Sorgenfri is indded empty, though acording to Niels Peter Stilling's books "Royal recidences through 1000 years" it is going through a renovation and is still scedueled to be used as such. They renovations has appearently only been done on the outside as of now, and it is most likely on hold since there is no great need for the house rightnow now, and the renovation of Amalienborg takes up most of the budget.

Sorgenfri is indded empty, though acording to Niels Peter Stilling's books "Royal recidences through 1000 years" it is going through a renovation and is still scedueled to be used as such. They renovations has appearently only been done on the outside as of now, and it is most likely on hold since there is no great need for the house rightnow now, and the renovation of Amalienborg takes up most of the budget.
I didn't know they were working on Sorgenfri as well - thank you for the information Tricota :flowers:

Wonder what they intend to do with it - unless we imagine that Joachim and Marie will get a really nice place to stay when in Zealand, I cannot see who would be going to live in it after the renovation (F&M would not give up the Kancellihuset surely?)

I didn't know they were working on Sorgenfri as well - thank you for the information Tricota :flowers:

Wonder what they intend to do with it - unless we imagine that Joachim and Marie will get a really nice place to stay when in Zealand, I cannot see who would be going to live in it after the renovation (F&M would not give up the Kancellihuset surely?)

Well, as I mentioned, only the outside has been renovated by now. So far the interior has not been worked on. And I am sure it wont happen at least untill Amalienborg is ready for Fred and Mary in 2009, and perhaps a few other places are fixed. Time, money and even skilled labour is a shortege. So perhaps they could start the interior renovation around 2012/2013 or perhaps even later and it could easely take 3-4 years if they really start working on it and have the time...So lets be generous and say with parks, the interior, added security and all, the house might be ready to live in by 2017 or 2018...

By then I am sure that the Queen and Prince Consort will have retired - or at least be very close to it - and would have left Fredensborg. And allthough they may chose to stay in one of the castles in Jylland, they seam to prefer being close to Copenhagen. And none of the big castles are really suteble for year round living, not to mention they are too big for just a small family as they would be as retired. They could of couse chose to take over Kancellihuset after Fred and Mary, but I doubt they would want to live there. To close to the action and perhaps a bit to modern decour, from what I can tell.

So all in all, Sorgenfri would be perfect for Magrethe and Henrik, once they retire. Big enough for the 2 of them and a small household, but not to big.

So I guess the renovation plans would simply have to be fitted into those plans...

Hi everyone,

I have an obituary of my great, great grandfather Niels Peder Skousbo who was head gardener of the castle of Sorgenfri under Queen Dowager Caroline Amalie but who left when she died. Can someone tell when the Queen died? Sorry to sound so ignorant but I'm completely new to the Danish Monarchy. I would also like to know if anyone is aware of surviving staff records for Sorgenfri to see if I can find out more about my relative, or indeed would like to hear more about what his life might have been like. Niels's son Carl Johannes Skousbo I believe was born in the gardener's cottage in the grounds and it would be wonderful if anyone can point me in the direction of any photographs of this cottage.

Thanks for any tips or advice, it is much appreciated and anticipated.

Many thanks,
Paula

Queen Karoline Amalia was the second wife of King Christian VIII of Denmark, and lived between 1796 and 1881.

I have seen this Palace before, reminds me of Fredensborg.
x

Sorgenfri Slot/Manor - Former home of the Rosenborgs.

Based on an article in Billed Bladet #09, 2014, I've created this basic info on Sorgenfri Manor.

Here is an airphoto of the manor: https://app.box.com/s/8pwsearxvwtn6yup8136 (large file).
Key: Kavalerbygningen: - Now used by the Home Guard and the Naval/Marine Association.
Damebygningen: The actual home of Count Christian and Countess Anne Dorte, from 1999.
Hovedbygningen: The main residence. The home of Prince Knud and his wife Princess Caroline Mathilde until 1995. Now used as storage for furnitures.

Sorgenfri Slot (Manor) was build a little more than 300 years ago in Kongens Lyngby just outside Copenhagen. Put at the disposal of the DRF since 1889.
Was made the official home of then crown prince Christian, later Christian X.
He was so fond of the the place that it was used as a summer residence As such QMII is very familiar with the place.
After the change in the Law of Succession, this is where Prince Knud lived.

After the death of both Count Christian of Rosenborg and his wife, it will now be vacant. (In royal circles you are not homeless you are palaceless. Sorry, couldn't resist).
It has not yet been decided what will happen to the place. More on that later.

First a Google overview: https://app.box.com/s/ks1es167bj0eo0vabi6q

And here is an updated map of the various residences: https://app.box.com/s/6dkvmx8abxohunxa0yfn

Damebygningen, which was used as a home for the Rosenborgs will now be emptied and it has been suggested that Joachim and our Marie will take the place, as their Copenhagen residence.
They do have an apartment at Amalienborg, but with four growing children it's pretty crowded.
The building will need a coat of paint or two and new curtains and it will be ready.
BB also suggests that the eight children will convert the place into a kind of commune, when they move away from home. - I personally find that unlikely. There is a considerable age difference and it would be most unlikely that they all studied in Copenhagen or even settled in Copenhagen at the same time.
Princess Elisabeth is most adament, she will not move in at Sorgenfri.

I find it most likely that Joachim and Marie will take over the place and perhaps their children will have an apartment or two on the estate as well.
Damebygningen was, as I understand it, previously used to house senior members of the staff as well as adjutants and LiWs when Christian X was in residence.

- Sorgenfri is one of the places I know next to nothing about, so if anyone has more to add, please do. :)

Last edited:
The architect who built the Sorgenfri Manor was Francois Dieussart.
The Slot was built for Count Carl Ahlefeldt.

The old vegetable garden of Sorgenfri Palace features the remnants of an early 18th century trellis wall and the garden's old fruit trees..

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #16, 2014.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

Who took the 78 year old Princess Elisabeth on a ride to Sorgenfri, so they could have a look at the place, get some good shots and a chat about the place. (*)
It is a very frank, informative and touching chat they had.

As you know Princess Elisabeth will the autumn be moving in at Sorgenfri Manor, or more correctly the Damebygningen, at the estate. (See above). And she admits freely it's bacuse she can't afford to remain in the very big house where she is living now. "There is nothing embarrassing about admitting that, but it would be nice if a buyer showed up soon".

Elisabeth has already gone into moving-away-mood: "I'm thinking about how I'm going to furnish the house, where my paintings should hang, whether the floors need planning/scalping (?), or whether I want floor to floor carpeting. And what about cupboards? There sure is enough to keep you awake at night.
Even though I'm soon to turn 79, there is still a lot of go in my, so it'll all be alright. No at least I have an address, so that I know where I am to move to".

Elisabeth with her siblings grew up in the main building of Sorgenfri Manor, but when her younger brother Christian was in his early 20's an apartment was made for him at Damebugningen, and Elisabeth will move into that apartment, when it has had a coat of paint.
"I was very close to Christian, so I often came in Damebygningen, I even believe I helped him with an assignment he had, when he attended the (officers) Cadet Academy, and it sure it a little funny that I'm now going to live in the same rooms in which he once lived".

There are many fond memories from her life at Sorgenfri: "We climbed the trees in the park and had a smashing good time, just as the Peacock Garden was a terrific playground. When I move in at Damebygningen I can stand and look over from the kitchen window. That sure will be a bit cosy".

It was Prince Knud and Princess Caroline Mathilde who took over Sorgenfri after WWII.
"That was in the beginning of the 1950's and just before I became a realist". (**) Elisabeth studies in Switzerland, before having a career for 45 years in the Foreign Ministry.
"But I was 25 before I moved away from home in earnest".

When Caroline Mathilde died in1995, Prince Christian and Anne Dorte moved in at Sorgenfri.
"When mother died I would have liked to move in at manor, but I knew very well that it would never amount to something".

But she is pleased to move back home, here in her old days. Not least since that means that the children of Christian and Anne Dorte can still come and visit Damebygningen, where their parents lived: "I also think their children think it's marvelous. All seven of them had a very close relationship with their mormor and morfar (maternal grandparents). Anne Dorte and Christian loved them. Now they can still come here and play in the park".

Elisabeth never married, even though she lived with the same man, Claus Hermansen, for twenty years. He is now dead and missed:
"Claus and I furnished/decorated/made homely the house in Holte (posh part of Copenhagen), which is now to be sold. We ,oved in one January day inbetween two snowstorms and I did survive that ordeal. So moving to Damebygningen, sure can't be worse - except that I'm now alone".

In May Elisabeth will go through the house along with the responsible from the court to see what needs to be done, befor she can move in.
"I still don't know hom much needs to be doe, but for example I need to pick which colors the walls must have". For now she has no idea how the result will be.
"I'm just so glad that Damebygningen remains within the family. The thought of others living there would have been very difficult for me to cope with".
This also means there will be ample rooms for most of her things she otherwise would have had to sell.
"When I at some point is settled down, the Queen and the Prince Consort must naturally come out and see how I live. Then we'll have a cosy dinner".
Even though she and QMII are kusiner (female cousines) they are not constantly hanging out together.

She will be turning 80 next year and even though her health isn't perfect she intends to have a party: "I have a little problems with my legs, but I go to rehabillitation/training twice a week and that helps a lot.
Her brother, Ingolf, lives at his estate in Jutland and though he is pleased on behalf of his sister they haven't talked much about Elisabeth's worries: "We are not much for showing feelings in our family. All that about hugging and a lot of words, that's not us. We've never done that".

(*) It's also a testament to the closeness some members of the DRF have with some members of the press.

(**) I don't know what she means. Any suggestions? This is the sentence in Danish: Det var i begyndelsen af 1950'erne og lige inden jeg blev realist".

That's it for today. A good walk down memory lane with Benedikte tomorrow.

:previous:Thank you Muhler
A very nice interview with Elizabeth. :flowers:
I hope she enjoys going back "home" so to speak

(**) I don't know what she means. Any suggestions? This is the sentence in Danish: Det var i begyndelsen af 1950'erne og lige inden jeg blev realist".
Sorry, this is in danish, but I can´t explain it in english :flowers:

Prinsesse Elisabeth har gået i realskole - deraf ordet "realist", ligesom man er gymnasiast, når man går i gymnasiet :flowers:

Sorry, this is in danish, but I can´t explain it in english :flowers:

Prinsesse Elisabeth har gået i realskole - deraf ordet "realist", ligesom man er gymnasiast, når man går i gymnasiet :flowers:

I guess we can compare it today with a mix of basic highschool and highest level of public school?

I believe the US equivalent is 11 and 12th grades.

Thanks, FasterB.

Is this palace still used by any of Queen Margrethe II's cousins? I find it strange that this palace is little used by the DRF, especially because it was here that King Frederik IX and Prince Knud were born.

Is this palace still used by any of Queen Margrethe II's cousins? I find it strange that this palace is little used by the DRF, especially because it was here that King Frederik IX and Prince Knud were born.
Princess Elisabeth, who died in 2018, spent her last few years in the ladies wing of the palace. Before her it had been inhabited by her brother Christian and her sister-in-law Anne-Dorte. Since then the palace has stood empty.

Princess Elisabeth, who died in 2018, spent her last few years in the ladies wing of the palace. Before her it had been inhabited by her brother Christian and her sister-in-law Anne-Dorte. Since then the palace has stood empty.

It is used as storage for the DRF furnitures.
It's also an HQ for a local Home Guard company.

Back
Top Bottom