Schackenborg Castle, Tønder

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He should have be an excellent Diplomat ,one of his best performance is to be Elegant.
It's not the main purpose of a diplomat to be elegant. He has to represent his country, to stand for it's values and merits and to bond with people in other countries.
And I don't think Joachim would be any better as a diplomat than as a businessman. Joachim seems rather out of touch with modern day Dk and he definitely does not have the ability to bond with people, not even in his birth country. I am quite sure Dk does not want to be seen as an old-fashioned country with arrogant royals.

The man can't even go to an amusement park with his children without upsetting people (we have a first hand report of this on this board). I have experienced him once at an event in Germany and I can assure you I wasn't the only one who was pissed off by his arrogant demeanor. Unfortunately he sends out "I am better than you"-vibes and this is hard to endure, especially when it turns out he is not the successful businessman he was promoted as for years.

IMO the military with its hierarchic structure is perhaps the best solution for Joachim. He is good at wearing uniforms and giving orders. Superior behaviour is not unusual in the army, therefore Joachim can send out his "I am better than you"-vibes as much as he wants and it will be accepted. And since he is a royal he will probably never have to stand his ground in a war or dangerous mission.

MARG
Hmm, it is noteworthy that Joachim had the guts to say "I failed, I am not a good farmer and, in point if fact, I never really wanted to be a farmer at all!"
But where and when did he say that?

Last edited:
Apanage in the DRF as per 1st October 2016

QMII: US$ 1000662,69 pr. month
Prince Henrik: 10% =US$100066,19 pr. month
Princess Benedikte: 1,5% = US$ 15009,94 pr. month
CP Frederik: US$ 246309,55 pr. month
CPss Mary: US$ 24630,96 pr. month
Prince Joachim: US$ 43535.57 pr. month

Writing it down like this gives a wrong impression. Mary does not receive an apanage of her own but 10% of the Crown Prince's apanage is meant for the Crown Princess.
In 2016 Mary will receive 2 mio. Danish crowns (301.073 US$) from the 19,6 mio. crowns (=2.950.520 US$) Frederik receives. That would be 25.089 US$ per month.

lyndaW
Do not forget that lovely Marie gets -0- income for all her appearances.
Of course Joachim's apanage is for him and his wife (just like his brother's apanage). He got a considerable raise when he married Marie, so we can assume that the increased sum is meant for Marie (in 2008 it was ~800.000 kr= 120.429 US$, 10.035,75 per month which is far from 0). But unlike the Queen and the Crown Prince Joachim does not disclose in detail how his apanage is used.

Last edited:
To the extent that it is different I prefer the Danish scenario because it is actually disclosed how much funding their working royals receive.

In the example of Prince Joachim a royal receives half a million US Dollars per year from the state, for lifetime. This Prince can lead an independent life as the state provides his income.

In the other example the monarch requests a member of the family to attend a royal event somewhere. Their invoices for transportation, accomodation, clothing, gifts, etc. can be sent to the palace. This Prince has to provide in his own income, he receives no penny from the state.

The state of Denmark is very generous to junior princes (Joachim), divorced wives (Alexandra) and sons of former thronefollowers (Ingolf). They are lucky indeed!

Last edited:
In the example of Prince Joachim a royal receives half a million US Dollars per year from the state, for lifetime. This Prince can lead an independent life as the state provides his income.

In the other example the monarch requests a member of the family to attend a royal event somewhere. Their invoices for transportation, accomodation, clothing, gifts, etc. can be sent to the palace. This Prince has to provide in his own income, he receives no penny from the state.

The state of Denmark is very generous to junior princes (Joachim), divorced wives (Alexandra) and sons of former thronefollowers (Ingolf). They are lucky indeed!

I agree that the state of Denmark has been generous but it seems like those acts will not be repeated. Joachim getting the apanage in the first place was a one-off and then that was compounded by Alexandra getting an apanage when she and Joachim divorced. It has already been announced that Christian will be the only royal in his generation to get an apanage.

Again I stand by my original point, if Joachim and wife's work vis a vis Frederik and his wife's is proportional to their respective apanages then I don't see the problem. Of course we can criticize how he got the apanage in the first place but I think that is a different argument than the point I originally made which was in response to a comment that Joachim needs to work more. Maybe he does but before I sign on to that I would like to know how much royal work he is doing in comparison to Frederick's and then see how that compares to the funding they receive.

Prins Joachim fortæller

Joachim is here telling us about the ghosts at Schackenborg. - All manors with an ounce of self-respect must have ghosts. :ghost:

At Schackenborg there are several, the most prominent being the Evil Countess.
She was actually widow after the third Schack (so it must have been around mid 1700's). A young and despite having no formal education a successful business-woman or rather estate manager. In fact she ended up being one of the most prominent landholders in DK at the time.
But she was also a very strict lady!

According to the legend she tied a lazy maid to an oven and went to church.
When she returned only the skeleton of the maid remained. Standing with clattering teeth because the fire had gone out.
When the Countess untied the skeleton, it screamed and ran up the stairs until it collapsed. And when the bones bundled there is a scorch-mark to this day!

In fact the Evil Countess is pretty busy! Owning several estates she is also appearing at other manors in DK.

But there is a multitude of ghosts at Schackenborg. Also in the adjacent buildings.
In the caretakers house (where Alexandra's parents lived) a boy one day ran straight into a wall and when asked what on earth he was up to, he explained that he merely "followed the girl". It turns out that there previously was a door in the wall exactly where the boy hit the wall.

Joachim tells about a personal experience:
"I haven't seen any ghosts myself, but I do convince myself that I from time to time have heard something.
The closest thing I recall was a day some three-four years ago, where we stood in the great kitchen with a couple of friends with small children. Suddenly their little daughter said: Who's that old lady? - and pointed out to the yard in front of the manor, but nothing and no one were to be seen. So who knows? Perhaps it was The Evil Countess who returned home after one of her visits to Gram Slot or Giesegård (manors)".

Joachim intends to spend the whole autumn-holiday at Schackenborg, also with Nikolai and Felix. - Who still know some friends around Schackenborg from the time they lived there.

Reactions: eya
Have you seen the old danish movie "Baronessen fra Benzintanken" recently, Muhler? :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Nooo, alas I must have missed that one - the last few times... :D:innocent:

Joachim and his family are lucky to have technically sold the Castle but still be able to benefit from it, I guess if the price to pay is only being able to visit at certain times that is pretty cheap IMO.

Interesting. I wonder if they decided to open Schackenborg now that Joachim and co. will be moving to France, and as Muhler pointed out, will thus have less time to visit the castle.

Back
Top Bottom