The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-08-2016, 03:43 AM
Majesty

In a large villa, north of Copenhagen. You will find info and location in the general thread, because there is no specific thread for their new home.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Schackenborg Castle has extensive gardens and a working farm. This includes a Christmas tree farm.
Schackenborg Palace – The Royal Post

Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 AM
Majesty

This is interesting!

Joachim has for the first time spoken about the reasons behind the sale of Schackenborg and he is IMO pretty frank.
Prins Joachim har for første gang kommenteret sin flytning til København - Indland

He gave an interview to the financial magazine Børsen (the DK equivalent of Financial Times in regards to seriousness). I'll look for that article later when I get more time.

In that interview Joachim is quoted for saying: (Danish and translation):

Det var et opgør med egne ambitioner og illusioner, at det, man egentlig havde sat sig for skulle være ens livsgerning og renommé, ikke bare skulle tages op til revision, men faktisk også ændres. Det var at stå ansigt til ansigt med en virkelighed, som de færreste måske var helt klar over,«

"It was taking a stand with you own ambitions and illusions and the fact that what you intended should be the accomplishment of your life/your work for life/life's work and reputation, not only had to be taken up for review, but actually also changed.
That was facing a reality that few perhaps realized".

Prins Joachim siger, at han »af 10 millioner gode grunde« ikke var nok til stede i sin virksomhed på slottet.
»Måske skulle jeg have gjort op noget før: Står det her mål med virkeligheden? Er der hold i det her?,« siger han.

Prince Joachim says that he "for 10 million good reasons wasn't there enough in his business at the manor.
Perhaps I should have taken stock before: Is this compatible with the real world? Does it swim", he says.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

interesting.
I thought one of the reasons stated years ago was that Joachim wanted to pick up more royal duties (which really has not happened) or that it was hard to do both the farm and royal duties.

Now he is doing courses with the army defense.
thanks for the article
Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 PM
Courtier

think after 20-years he really tried...............don't forget he has always suffered from asthma....he could and would do well if the Queen would let he and Marie do more...................but he could NEVER ever over shaddow his brother & his wife...that is rather hard
He has always been for want is best for Denmark and its culture & tradition...............he is very articulate in several languages (Danish,French,English,German,wee bit of Spanish------------------------------not sure about Greenlands language).........
Now he Danish media keeps knocking him down-for what ever reason..actually I do not understand why he gets just poor media attention
is it ONLY to beef up his brother and his wife............
Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Majesty

Joachim is a man who has his demeanor against him. - In other words: He is not easy to like.

You have to take a closer look at him and no doubt get to know him, before you realize that he is perhaps not so arrogant as he appears.
Joachim is not folksy. He is not a peoples-person and he is also a bit old-fashioned.
On top of that he is very intelligent and very articulate - that can make it difficult to find him endearing as well... unfortunately.
That makes him easy to dislike and as we all know, every good soap-opera needs a villain or at least an unlikable character. - That character is Joachim.

Joachim is IMO a complicated person who deserve a better press than what he is getting. But that is unlikely to happen until someone come along who suits the role as the dislikable member of the DRF better.

And I agree with you.
Joachim was told as a child that you are going to get a manor and be a farmer. That's your life - regardless of your dreams, interests and abilities.
On top of that Schackenborg was neglected and worn down.

So yes, Joachim tried and failed. Better and more talented men than him have failed too in a similar situation.

It didn't exactly help either that he had to sell off a considerable asset in order to finance Alexandra's house after the divorce.

Yet, Schackenborg was modernized, restructured and rationalized - at a huge cost due to investments.
And with four children, it's difficult to divide a manor (with debts) into four portions.

I see elsewhere that Joachim seems to have been quoted for saying that he should have sold Schackenborg earlier.
Perhaps he should never have taken over the place.

I do not agree with you that the heat Joachim is getting is to beef up M&F.
However, and I know this may be considered controversial, the criticism Frederik got earlier on in particular would have been much worse had Joachim not been around.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Majesty

interesting views, mulher. i didn't know that about joachim. however, it makes me feel sorry for him that he is the 'punching ball' of the family. despite his demeanor, he hasn't really done anything wrong. even when he got backlashed during his divorce to alexandra, i feel the media may have been biased: seeing how alexandra divorced martin airing her personal life out to the media, maybe she wasn't that much of a saint in the time leading up to the divorce from joachim.

i am somewhat surprised as well to read that he is snobbish and not that friendly/likeable as marie comes across as being very down to earth and not at all arrogant.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Majesty

Hmm, it is noteworthy that Joachim had the guts to say "I failed, I am not a good farmer and, in point if fact, I never really wanted to be a farmer at all!" I have to admit 'Joachim' and 'farmer' seemed a strange match to me. He alway came across as fashion conscious, cultured, urbane, erudite and reserved, everything your average farmer is not!

I always thought that he would be at home going to the theatre, the opera, the ballet, anything rather than tending crops or animals. I also thought that having given up Schackenborg and moved to the city, both he and Marie would have a far higher profile and carry out more royal engagements. That does not appear to be the case.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:40 AM
Majesty

I more imagined Joachim being at home in the world of diplomacy and business.

And true, despite Joachim's work for the Defense Command, he does need to step up his workload, since he is getting an apanage.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

He should have be an excellent Diplomat ,one of his best performance is to be Elegant.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Majesty

Prince George of Denmark was the Danish Ambassador in the Netherlands. So there is a Danish example.

Picture: Prince George and Princess Anne of Denmark née Bowes Lyon formerly the Countess of Lichfield at the State Banquet in honour of Queen Margrethe, in Amsterdam: http://www.anp-archief.nl/attachment/47226
Old 09-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I more imagined Joachim being at home in the world of diplomacy and business.

And true, despite Joachim's work for the Defense Command, he does need to step up his workload, since he is getting an apanage.
How much is his apanage, if memory serves it is a fraction of his brother, the heir, but maybe I am mis-remembering. I think that Joachim should not be expected to work at the same level as Fred because he, like most spares, is a stopgap until the younger heir comes of age. IMO spares like Joachim, Carl Philip, Harry and other should get funding to carry out royal duties but at the same time they need to be given enough leeway to build a non-royal life for themselves and their families since they are not expected to be mainline royals for all of their lives.

As controversial as the whole Schackenborg matter seems to be, it served its purpose which is to give the spare assets and income to make his own way. In the end Joachim decided he did not want to run Schackenborg and cashed out which is fine by me, now he has to use the windfall to support his family and hopefully provide a decent inheritance for his four children.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Majesty

If I am correct, Prince Joachim receives around half a million US Dollars in apanage. That is generous: his "colleague" Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands receives zero.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Nobility

Different country, different bookkeeping. Sweden's spares also receive zero but they are compensated out of the monarch's fund.

To me it's about relativity, for example, if Joachim's apanage is 1/3 of Frederik's and his royal work is 1/10 of Frederik's, then that not is OK, but if Joachim's apanage is 1/3 of Frederik's and his royal work is 1/3 of Frederik's then that is OK, assuming that I do not have a problem with how the overall funding that the Danish Royal Family receives.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Schnackenborg Castle was a personal present to Prince Joachim.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Courtier

Oh my, looks like I opened a can of worms................
Do not forget that lovely Marie gets -0- income for all her appearances.
..........and CP Mary gets 10% (to use as she sees fit) of Fred income for her own use in her name +++++plus the use of Freds income...and it is a lot.................
Alex was a good Princess until SHE defaulted.....just after she & Martin did the project together.....she hooked up with Martin & left Joachim hanging (not a very good year for Joahim----I think he really didn't see it coming----and YES he did act out)..but who would not have...and for that (after many years of great service to Denmark) he was and is still bashed by the media....
Old 09-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Different country, different bookkeeping. Sweden's spares also receive zero but they are compensated out of the monarch's fund.

To me it's about relativity, for example, if Joachim's apanage is 1/3 of Frederik's and his royal work is 1/10 of Frederik's, then that not is OK, but if Joachim's apanage is 1/3 of Frederik's and his royal work is 1/3 of Frederik's then that is OK, assuming that I do not have a problem with how the overall funding that the Danish Royal Family receives.
That is the same in the Dutch situation: the expenses of Prince Comstantijn are met by his brother, the King, but that is not the same as receiving an annual income of half a million dollars. It is really a generous arrangement by the State of Denmark.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:05 PM
Serene Highness

Apanage in the DRF as per 1st October 2016

QMII: US$ 1000662,69 pr. month
Prince Henrik: 10% =US$100066,19 pr. month
Princess Benedikte: 1,5% = US$ 15009,94 pr. month
CP Frederik: US$ 246309,55 pr. month
CPss Mary: US$ 24630,96 pr. month
Prince Joachim: US$ 43535.57 pr. month
Old 09-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That is the same in the Dutch situation: the expenses of Prince Comstantijn are met by his brother, the King, but that is not the same as receiving an annual income of half a million dollars. It is really a generous arrangement by the State of Denmark.
To the extent that it is different I prefer the Danish scenario because it is actually disclosed how much funding their working royals receive.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Prince George of Denmark was the Danish Ambassador in the Netherlands. So there is a Danish example.

Picture: Prince George and Princess Anne of Denmark née Bowes Lyon formerly the Countess of Lichfield at the State Banquet in honour of Queen Margrethe, in Amsterdam: http://www.anp-archief.nl/attachment/47226
Thanks for posting this great old picture. Love old pictures.
I, too, could see Joachim as a diplomat, rather than a farmer/business man. For a farmer is a business man! It seems to me that Marie has been an asset to him in many ways. And, hopefully, he will continue to find his own niche.

Tags
castles, danish royal history, danish royal palaces, residences, schackenborg castle