Schackenborg Castle, Tønder

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much land surounds the main house, and how much land is farmed by the Prince??
Also, does he own any part of the town (hotel,chapel,etc). I read something a while back, but for the life of me I can't remember.

thanks.

How much land surounds the main house, and how much land is farmed by the Prince??
Also, does he own any part of the town (hotel,chapel,etc). I read something a while back, but for the life of me I can't remember.

thanks.

Acording to Niels Peter Stilling's book, the area is about 1000 ha, and is comprised of several fields and farms beloning to the estate.

The In/hotel used to be part of Schackenborg. But Joachim had to sell it after the divorce, acording to writings in the press, to be able to afford to buy Alexandre a new house. The In is today owned by Hans Michael Jebsen, a Danish businessman living in Hong Kong, who owns several small hotels in Denmark, including Frederiksminde in Præstø.

The church used to belong to Schackenborg untill 1970. Acording to a website I found, the church has what is known as "selveje", meaning it is owned by a union or community and run by a board. I dont know if that is the norm for churches here, but I believe it is, atleast in some form.

Such an interesting history. Now that Prince Joachim has remarried and there is a royal baby on the way, perhaps he and Princess Marie would permit some pictures to be taken at this lovely home. There were some nice pictures taken there on their wedding day.

They did hold pre-wedding interviews there as well and the prince mentioned several times during those interviews that this would be "home." However, it does seem that his two sons will continue their studies in Copenhagen, and not near Schackenborg Slot. Time will tell where his future child(ren) will study.

Interesting remark about his hay fever. I agree --- it must be very hard to be associated with agriculture and be around pollen if allergic to it.

This is a very beautiful Manor and property -- am glad it is being cared for so well.

Are their any old pictures of Schackenborg when Joachim & Alexandra first married..............the Danish people gave them some sort of renovation of their home, and did they actually live their during these renovations.

Next question, what were these renovations ?

There are a few pictures of Princess Alexandra and Prince Joachim inside one or two rooms in Schackenborg as well as the long driveway. They are in different parts of The Royal Forums (like the thread of them with their two children and the christening of Felix). It would be nice to be able to see newer pictures with him and Princess Marie (plus the new baby).

The rooms that were pictured before, during the time Alexandra was there, seem to look about the same as those featured in recent interviews (pre-wedding) of the prince and new princess.

It is a beautiful place, resembling a large country estate rather than an ostentatious, heavily adorned palace. Perhaps Something like an elegant English country home.

There are a few pictures of Princess Alexandra and Prince Joachim inside one or two rooms in Schackenborg as well as the long driveway. They are in different parts of The Royal Forums (like the thread of them with their two children and the christening of Felix). It would be nice to be able to see newer pictures with him and Princess Marie (plus the new baby).

The rooms that were pictured before, during the time Alexandra was there, seem to look about the same as those featured in recent interviews (pre-wedding) of the prince and new princess.

It is a beautiful place, resembling a large country estate rather than an ostentatious, heavily adorned palace. Perhaps Something like an elegant English country home.

Thank you, it sounds like you have seen this lovely Manor -- lucky you

Actually, I've never been there, but remembered details from perusing various TRF threads.

When touring, I've always been intrigued by royal homes, from the Petit Trianon to Schonbrunn and others. Unfortunately, haven't been to Denmark yet.

Are their any old pictures of Schackenborg when Joachim & Alexandra first married..............the Danish people gave them some sort of renovation of their home, and did they actually live their during these renovations. Next question, what were these renovations ?

A belated answer :)! :

Schackenborg was in disrepair when Prince Joachim took possession of it! Count Hans Schack (the childless previous owner who returned the castle to "the crown" ) had not been able to take on the extensive restoration needed.

The solution came in 1995, with the impending marriage. Karl Toosbuy, a local tycoon organized a "people's donation" , which eventually amounted to about 14 million Danish Kroner (ca. $ 2.5 million or £ 1.4 million)

I no longer remember what was renovated, restored, respaired! The place needed a good going over, and the donation payed for the most urgent renovations. Come to think of it: I remember something about a new roof!

Viv

Yes, some pictures that have been posted show a rather delapidated roof (perhaps some unseen leaking problems), while new pictures show a very tidy roof.

The exterior also appeared needed some updating. Today's exterior is quite nice, the cranberry colored trim offsets the rest of the colors of the structure. Very fine taste.

During their interviews the couple was asked about redecorating ideas, or new wallpaper, and Joachim commented on the fact that the rooms had a particular decoration, and that it had all been planned out carefully. This would give the impression that when the restoration was caried out, a lot of thought went into it and that it should be maintained pretty much as it is. This would hold true for the public rooms, the receiving rooms, for sure.

I wonder if nulle 30 was with a group, or how it happened, since there are big gates at Scackenborg.

I wonder if nulle 30 was with a group, or how it happened, since there are big gates at Scackenborg.

I was thinking the same?
I can understand being outside the Castle, seeing Marie and Joachim on the other hand. :whistling:

May I Ask how many rooms are their?

How large would their dining room be --- afterall they hosted rather a large number of people for their marriage as well as the christening dinner, also how many full time people do they employ

In the christening video, the last part showed people, including the queen and prince consort, arriving at Schackenborg. Immediately beyond the front door, one could see a long table with tablecloths on it, probably set for the dinner, I would think. Folded napkins were on top, all white.

I believe that is what was shown.

In the christening video, the last part showed people, including the queen and prince consort, arriving at Schackenborg. Immediately beyond the front door, one could see a long table with tablecloths on it, probably set for the dinner, I would think. Folded napkins were on top, all white.

I believe that is what was shown.

That's what I noticed too in the christening video. It looks like everything are white inside the Schackenbourg Castle.

That entry room, perhaps a great hall, may have been the only room large enough to hold all the guests. That is what I surmise.

In the pre-wedding video about Marie, towards the end, she calls her mother into another room, set up like a dining room, to see some newspaper clippings of Joachim as a young boy on a tractor, etc. This dining room furniture was quite modern, and looked like it sat maybe 14 people or so. it was very modern, square looking, and placed in the middle of a much larger room. (It almost looked too modern for the style of the home).

That's what I noticed too in the christening video. It looks like everything are white inside the Schackenbourg Castle.

Not everything is white. In one of the interviews released about Marie before the wedding, Joachim and Marie are sitting in a living room on a sofa. The walls of the room were red.

The table for the baptism was all in white, the room for the formal baptism and wedding pictures were also white, with baseboards and trim in a grey / taupe shade. The first formal pictures of Henrik Carl were also taken in a white room, on a white sofa, in a room with a white rug.

There have been other videos filmed, or pictures taken in the interview room which you are referring to. The walls are a deep red there. Years ago, there was a wonderful picture of Alexandra and Joachim in formal attire, taken in the same room. It had the same deep red color. Cozy looking room.

Yet another room is a very soft pink shade, nearly white. This room looked more formal, with period furniture. I think the stools on which they sat at their wedding were taken from this room. The video about Marie before the wedding featured this room.

Pictures of Joachim and Alexandra were taken in a billiards room as well. These walls were a very light grey or white with the same trim as the other rooms. Joachim and Alexandra have also been pictured on the stairs. These are in old threads, obviously. Still, it looks like quite a few rooms that have been featured are painted white, or just off white.

Does Prince Joachim maintain a horse stable ?? We know Prince Joachim did ride as a young man, does he continue to do so, and what about Nikolai & Felix, and of course Marie ??

Does Prince Joachim maintain a horse stable ?? We know Prince Joachim did ride as a young man, does he continue to do so, and what about Nikolai & Felix, and of course Marie ??

I've never seen any of them ride a horse. But I imagine such a place like Schakenborg does have a stable. :)

I have seen pictures of Joachim riding (while married to Alexandra---I don't know he she also rode-----the pictures are in one of the closed threads here -- but you can still see the pictures).
Also in this closed thread it mentioned that when Joachim & Alex married they had no Gala dinner

I have seen pictures of Joachim riding (while married to Alexandra---I don't know he she also rode-----the pictures are in one of the closed threads here -- but you can still see the pictures).
Also in this closed thread it mentioned that when Joachim & Alex married they had no Gala dinner

Quite the contrary.
Imageshack - ut00059115gu.jpg

Their wedding hread has pictures of the wedding banquet it wasn't at Schackenborg though.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/prince-joachim-and-alexandra-manley-1995-a-7973.html

:flowers:

Does Schackenborg get decorated outside for the holidays?

We've seen heart-shaped wreaths for the Joachim and Marie's wedding, but don't recall decorations.

The link in lyndaw's post has now been fixed :flowers:

sorry but i still an not see it!

Back
Top Bottom