The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2018, 07:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, wonder if QMII initially preferred to be laid to rest with her parents outside the cathedral?
Only to be persuaded to have a sarcophagus later on.

It also makes me wonder whether PH changing his mind was in spite? That is a somewhat childish act, perhaps reinforced by his dementia.
At least 15 years ago his leaning towards Buddhism didn't seem important enough at the time for him to insist on being cremated and not buried in a church.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
https://www.bt.dk/royale/manden-bag-...henrik-en-stor

An interesting article from BT.

The man who created the sarcophagus, Bjørn Nørgaard, has told a bit about hos it came about.
Both QMII and Bjørn Nørgaard hails from the Protestant culture where large grave monuments are uncommon.
So it was very PH who in the first years of the creative and design stage came with suggestions and inputs. PH wanted this to be a statement to the future, that they (he and QMII) were here. A don't forget us, so to speak.
It was only late in the design process that he changed his mind, but by then it was too late to change the design.

This is how it looks today and until QMII needs it. Screened off: https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...-vre-frdig.jpg
It is indeed strange that he discarded his own "statement", and so late in the process. When exactly did he change his mind?

Old 04-29-2018, 02:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It is indeed strange that he discarded his own "statement", and so late in the process. When exactly did he change his mind?
The article doesn't say, but it was too late in the process for modifications to be made.
IMO so late that the glass-pieces, which are the central pieces of the sarcophagus, were either made or in the process of being made.
So I'd say within the past 5 years.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Interesting that it was mainly PH's idea and that now his wife will be the only one to actually use it. He clearly crafted attention and his change of mind will only lead to more attention in the decades and probably centuries to come.
The Queen will not use it. It is called a sarcophagus but it is actually a memento mori as the Queen will be interred somewhere else in Roskilde Cathedral and not into the "sarcophagus".
Old 04-29-2018, 06:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

She will indeed be interred in a crypt under the sarcophagus.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:01 AM
Courtier

Forgive me but I find that sarcophagus to be one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. Entirely out of place with its environment and just plain tacky looking. I know Margrethe is an artist but this is an enormously expensive failure of a concept IMO.

A very strange spectacle indeed.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The entire sarcophagus looks like it was part of the set of '2001: A Space Odyssey' totally out of place in St Brigitta's chapel.

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 04-29-2018, 09:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

"My God! It's full of stars..."

That makes sense, it doubles as a portal. A star gate...
Old 04-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I saw at Roskilde Queen Margarethe the First stone sarcophage , I hate Queen Margarethe II 's
Old 04-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She will indeed be interred in a crypt under the sarcophagus.
That's what I was thinking of. She will use it in being interred under it.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes, wonder if QMII initially preferred to be laid to rest with her parents outside the cathedral?

It also makes me wonder whether PH changing his mind was in spite? That is a somewhat childish act, perhaps reinforced by his dementia.
At least 15 years ago his leaning towards Buddhism didn't seem important enough at the time for him to insist on being cremated and not buried in a church.

Indeed strange. Last year when it was announced that Prince Henrik would not be buried alongside the Queen it was told that is wish of him he had for a long time. It seems not soo long if 15 years ago he was still involved into the planning of this Monument.
What also find a bit strange that it has alredy been placed inside the Chapel but will now be covered for a hopefully long time. Why did they place it then already. Could still be done after HM is gone.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I saw at Roskilde Queen Margarethe the First stone sarcophage , I hate Queen Margarethe II 's
I don't like it either. It looks like a cartoon version of a space ship.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Why did they place it then already. Could still be done after HM is gone.
Do you suggest to hold it on the queen's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Forgive me but I find that sarcophagus to be one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. Entirely out of place with its environment and just plain tacky looking. I know Margrethe is an artist but this is an enormously expensive failure of a concept IMO.

A very strange spectacle indeed.
This " failure" will attract visitors and generate money for the Cathedral many, many years.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
This " failure" will attract visitors and generate money for the Cathedral many, many years.
Would you go if you can't actually see it as it is covered now until the time it is needed. Would be no reason for me to go if i hadn't planned it anyway.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree with Spheno.
This sarcophagus will attract visitors, whether we like it or not (I happen to like it), certainly for no other reason than that it is so unusual - and has a good saucy story.

I also think it would be in poor taste to exhibit the sarcophagus until after QMII has been laid to rest. After all the main purpose of grave monuments is not to be an attraction, even though we know they very much are attractions.
When we talk about sarcophaguses (or whatever the plural word is) a mere 5-10-15-20 years is nothing. The sarcophagus will be there (hopefully) for centuries, it can wait for its audience.

In the BB article I summarized it said that it was a complicated task to assemble the sarcophagus, so complicated it was decided not to dismantle it.
In say 15 years, those who build the thing may not be available with the consequent risk of damaging the sarcophagus when someone else has to assemble it.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

In her mind is she a greater Monarch than her King Predecessors Christians and Frederics ?
Old 04-29-2018, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
In her mind is she a greater Monarch than her King Predecessors Christians and Frederics ?
Well, I can't look into QMII's head, however I think it's pretty safe to say that she don't.
She took the name Queen Margrethe the Second, out of respect of the 1400's regent, Queen Margrethe. Who technically was never a monarch, but is nevertheless popularly known as Queen Margrethe the First.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A lot of medieval Monarchs and consorts are buried at St. Bendt's Church, Ringsted though the tombs are not as impressive as those at Roskilde Cathedral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Be...urch,_Ringsted

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 04-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

The gossip mag Se & Hør, which at the best of times is unreliable, has come up with an explanation for why PH refused to be buried next to his wife at Roskilde Cathedral.
And as even a broken clock is right twice a day...

The theory is that the artist who designed the sarcophagus, Bjørn Nørgaard, was very critical and satirical against the DRF in the late 60's, bordering on being insulting and certainly tasteless. - And as such PH and Bjørn Nørgaard didn't see eye to eye and that, my friends, is the real reason why PH refused to be interred under this sarcophagus.
Bjørn Nørgaard has commented on his "art" back in the 60's saying times were different and provoking and being against the established system was the norm back then.

- Okay, I don't believe that story for one single second.
PH was initially very much involved in the design of the sarcophagus.
Also, PH had his flaws, but bearing a grudge for decades was surely not among them!
Finally, would PH - who QMII very much listened to - select an artist he couldn't stand the sight of to design his tomb? That seems unlikely to me.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/manden-bag-...henrik-en-stor

An interesting article from BT.

The man who created the sarcophagus, Bjørn Nørgaard, has told a bit about hos it came about.
Both QMII and Bjørn Nørgaard hails from the Protestant culture where large grave monuments are uncommon.
So it was very PH who in the first years of the creative and design stage came with suggestions and inputs. PH wanted this to be a statement to the future, that they (he and QMII) were here. A don't forget us, so to speak.
It was only late in the design process that he changed his mind, but by then it was too late to change the design.

This is how it looks today and until QMII needs it. Screened off: https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...-vre-frdig.jpg
Quote:

Quote:
The gossip mag Se & Hør, which at the best of times is unreliable, has come up with an explanation for why PH refused to be buried next to his wife at Roskilde Cathedral.
And as even a broken clock is right twice a day...

The theory is that the artist who designed the sarcophagus, Bjørn Nørgaard, was very critical and satirical against the DRF in the late 60's, bordering on being insulting and certainly tasteless. - And as such PH and Bjørn Nørgaard didn't see eye to eye and that, my friends, is the real reason why PH refused to be interred under this sarcophagus.
Bjørn Nørgaard has commented on his "art" back in the 60's saying times were different and provoking and being against the established system was the norm back then.

- Okay, I don't believe that story for one single second.
PH was initially very much involved in the design of the sarcophagus.
Also, PH had his flaws, but bearing a grudge for decades was surely not among them!
Finally, would PH - who QMII very much listened to - select an artist he couldn't stand the sight of to design his tomb? That seems unlikely to me.
I agree that Se & Hør's explanation is difficult to believe. It's possible that Prince Henrik's family is aware of the true explanation, but in light of the seemingly unclear meaning of his changed decision I wonder if the decision to complete construction of the sarcophagus and eventually lay the Queen to rest under it might have been perceived by his family as an opportunity to honor his original wishes (while his own burial would honor his final decision), just in case.