Marselisborg Palace, Aarhus

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sinced it is at least in theory a private residence could QMII sell it?

That's an interesting question.

It's a little problematic selling such a gift, without causing an uproar in Aarhus.
I guess QMII's option would be to return the gift to Aarhus municipality. - That would also be seen as a snub by the DRF.

Marselisborg is in serious need of some thorough modernization, so if the DRF came out and said: "Sorry, it's too expensive to maintain". That could be seen as the only acceptable reason.
Perhaps funding for such a renovation could be raised in connection with QMII's 50th jubilee (if she's still around) or Frederik's 50th birthday?

Perhaps funding for such a renovation could be raised in connection with QMII's 50th jubilee (if she's still around) or Frederik's 50th birthday?
Or when Frederik becomes King :flowers:

That's an interesting question.

It's a little problematic selling such a gift, without causing an uproar in Aarhus.
I guess QMII's option would be to return the gift to Aarhus municipality. - That would also be seen as a snub by the DRF.

Marselisborg is in serious need of some thorough modernization, so if the DRF came out and said: "Sorry, it's too expensive to maintain". That could be seen as the only acceptable reason.

But if it is truly a privately owned residence why would the public pay anything towards its renovation? Who pays for the upkeep and maintenace now, QMII or the tax payer? I could see public funds for security but other than that if it is truly a private residence why would anyone other than the DRf pay anything towards it?

But if it is truly a privately owned residence why would the public pay anything towards its renovation? Who pays for the upkeep and maintenace now, QMII or the tax payer? I could see public funds for security but other than that if it is truly a private residence why would anyone other than the DRf pay anything towards it?

Because the manor was a present to the DRF from the public. In return the DRF was very much expected to live there from time to time.

The DRF pays for maintaining Marselisborg, not the taxpayers. The park however is maintained by Aarhus municipality, because the public have access to the park when the DRF is not in residence.

As Aarhus in particular and eastern Jutland in general wish to maintain the affilliation with the DRF by their presence at Marselisborg, it is not unrealistic to believe that the DRF, Aarhus municipality and other contributers will share the bill for renovating the manor at some point. - Something similar happened in regards to Frederik VIII's mansion, where M&F live.

In contrast to M&F's home, Marselisborg will hardly need such a major renovation to it's structure, but the heating system, the electrical system, the water pipes and the windows needs to be replaced by something modern. Just as the walls and roof no doubt need insulation. - I think I would faint on the spot if I ever saw the heating bill for Marselisborg during Christmas!
It would it any way be a sound investment, because the costs of running the place would be reduced very substantially.

However, such a modernization will cost a lot of money and I can't imagine how the DRF will come up with that sum alone.

In regards to funding I wonder if the RF could gift the home back to nation but keep it as an official residence to use. This way they give up ownership of it but retain the use of it. I know such a thing couldn't happen here in the UK as the media would have a fit over it but I don't know if that would be acceptable in Denmark?
Its always the same with big houses such as this one, it makes people think that the people who live in them must be rich when in fact they often don;t have the money in the bank to maintain them as much as is needed.

As Aarhus in particular and eastern Jutland in general wish to maintain the affilliation with the DRF by their presence at Marselisborg, it is not unrealistic to believe that the DRF, Aarhus municipality and other contributers will share the bill for renovating the manor at some point. - Something similar happened in regards to Frederik VIII's mansion, where M&F live.
Weren´t there also some funding for the renovation of Schackenborg?

Weren´t there also some funding for the renovation of Schackenborg?

Yes, that was a part of a public wedding present. Ordinary people could donate money o renovate Schackenborg.
Schackenborg was close to being downright derelict!

The donation helped and Joachim is continously renovating more of the place.
But the DRF itself had to spend a considerable and not budgetted sum on Schackenborg, so Joachim at least would have something resembling a home.

In Alexandra's time they had to walk from the bedroom through very cold rooms in order to get to the bathroom. - That might explain why Alexandra didn't stay that much at Schackenborg, certainly not compared to our Marie.

Such a public donation could be an option at a jubilee or a birthday. But not so much, I believe, when Frederik become king. - The death of QMII is hardly a reason to celebrate with a gift to the monarch.

Tommy100 pretty much nailed it, when he wrote that a manor/palace can be very much a burden for the family living there.

Such a public donation could be an option at a jubilee or a birthday. But not so much, I believe, when Frederik become king. - The death of QMII is hardly a reason to celebrate with a gift to the monarch.
Ooopss, forgot about the deaththing going on shortly before Frederik becomes king :whistling::ROFLMAO::whistling:

Fngslet for Marselisborg-indbrud - TV 2 Nyhederne

The police arrested a 22 year old burglar who had entered Marselisborg Manor through a window in the basement.
The alarm went off and the police apprehended the man on the scene. Around 23.00.

Very unusual for a burglary the public were barred from the court when the burglar was presented before a magistrate. - Of course that has something to do with the place he attempted to burgle.
So far he is to be held in costudy for 14 days, pending police inquiery.

- That costudy can, if need be, be prolonged indefinitely until he is put on trial.
I guess he's an amateur. The professionals know perfectly well which places are secured better than others and where the police response time is much quicker than otherwise.
Apart from that Marselisborg Manor is located in the middle of a large park, you would have a dog attached to your behind before you got any far.

ADDED: More from Jyllands Posten: http://jyllands-posten.dk/aarhus/krimi/article4715286.ece

The police was alarmed at 23.05. Several patrols were dispatched to Marselisborg Manor and the burglar was arrested on site ten minuttes later.
The man hadn't even had time to collect any loot.

- Many years ago a foreign burglar attempted to climb the wall around one of the gardens at Amalienborg. He found himself lying under several hundred kilos of guardsmen within moments.
In a couple of other cases the guards have fired warning shots.
And it happens from time to time that the guards have to take firm action against drunkards and fools who don't obey instructions about staying clear of the palaces.
In Sweden the the guardsmen are not allowed to arrest instruders, only to check intruders and wait for the police to arrive. Unless in selfdefence or to protect the SRF. Some years ago a mentally disturbed intruder entered one of the palaces in Stockholm. The guards arrived on scene, but had to stand and observe the intruder vandalise a room until the police arrived.
In DK the intruder would have been clubbed on the spot.

Last edited:
http://www.bt.dk/krimi/overvejer-at-lukke-slotspark-hvem-stjaeler-margrethes-roser

BT informs us that Aarhus municipality consider closing the park around Marselisborg at night. Someone steal roses.

There are many rare roses in the park and quite a few of them have been stolen, so the municipality urges visitors to the park to keep an eye out or if need be to close the park in the evening.

When the DRF are not in residence the park is open to the public and you can walk right up to the manor itself and apart from caretakers, gardeners and other employees, there are no around.

Theft of flowers and herbs are of course also a problem in botanical gardens.

This week, the Palace share summer pictures from the royal castles! Today the Marselisborg!

"Here are pictures from Marselisborg Castle in Aarhus, where H.M. The queen currently has a residence. The castle is surrounded by an English-style park with small lakes, a rose garden and a number of artworks. There is a change of guard with the Royal Life Guard at. 12.00 in the periods when the Queen is staying at the castle."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlSVVccAgmg/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

There has been a burglary at Marselisborg last night the local paper reports: https://stiften.dk/artikel/eftersøgning-i-gang-indbrudstyv-slap-ind-på-marselisborg-slot?rss

At 01.15 the alarm from Marselisborg went off and police patrols were dispatched to the place.
Upon arrival the police could tell that someone had gained access to the manor house, but the intruder had gotten away.
It is at present not known whether anything was stolen.

There was another attempted break in a few years back I recall but nothing was taken .

No, it's basically only amateurs who break in at the royal palaces, because they are full of alarms and all items imaginable are marked, so it's difficult to get rid of stolen items, even if you can get away, because while the average response time for the police in case a burglar alarms goes off is about five months, that does not apply to the royal residences!
And Marselisborg, being located in the middle of a large park, is surprisingly difficult to get away from - the dogs will be on your trail very quickly!

Marselisborg is located about five minutes (with sirens) from the main police station in Aarhus. So the burglar wouldn't have had much time.

No, it's basically only amateurs who break in at the royal palaces, because they are full of alarms and all items imaginable are marked, so it's difficult to get rid of stolen items, even if you can get away because while the average response time for the police in case a burglar alarm goes off is about five months, that does not apply to the royal residences!
And Marselisborg, being located in the middle of a large park, is surprisingly difficult to get away from - the dogs will be on your trail very quickly!

Marselisborg is located about five minutes (with sirens) from the main police station in Aarhus. So the burglar wouldn't have had much time.

Five months! Methinks they ought to move the police station a tad bit closer to the palace. ;)

https://www.bt.dk/krimi/46-aarig-mand-sigtet-efter-indbrud-paa-marselisborg-slot

Update on the break-in at Marselisborg.

There are few details, but the police have apprehended a 46 year old man and charged him with burglary. And as is routine he is set free pending further investigation until he is called in to face trial. Or alternatively the charges are dropped, which I think are unlikely in this case though. They either have concrete evidence or they don't otherwise they wont waste time arresting a suspected burglar.

https://stiften.dk/artikel/randrusianer-sigtet-for-indbrud-på-marselisborg-slot
The man is from another town, Randers. That explains a lot IMO. The local burglars wouldn't want to get anywhere near Marselisborg.

It is not known whether something was actually stolen.

- So my guess is that the police found fingerprints or DNA-traces. Had a look in the DNA-archive and went to pick him up. Often the police simply call the suspects and tell them to come in to the police station. And most do show up, because otherwise they will end up on the news with photo and name. And DK is a small country, it's difficult to hide for long.
Or perhaps he tried to fence something he had stolen and was reported to the police. It's most annoying for business if you deal in stolen goods to have the police running around all over the place...
It's also most irritating for the local burglars, who happens to be out, to be visited by the police investigating this. It ruins your daytime sleep! So I think our burglar would have few friends.

In 2012 a 22 year old man was caught trying to get in at Marselisborg and later convicted.

:previous: Yees. Unfortunately I was not exaggerating.
Due to limited resources the police generally don't respond to burglaries reported by the citizens, unless they believe they can catch one red-handed.
Instead you file an online report to the police. When that is acknowledged, also online, you send a copy to your insurance company - and unless your possessions are found, that's pretty much all you will hear let alone see from the police.
Unless the items stolen exceeds a value of IIRC around 80.000 DKK = A little more than 10.000 Dollars and Euros, the police will usually archive the case straight away.
That is of course frustrating for the general public, to put it mildly!

Sooo the Police ensure they actually show up if a leading politician reports a burglary... That happened recently. The politician in question was impressed with the police and expressed that online. The comments quickly pointed out that such service was far from the norm for ordinary citizens.
As for the royal residences: Here they show up in force! Partly because it's hugely embarrassing for the local police if someone breaks in at a royal residence and gets away.
And partly because it's a rehearsal. One day the alarm may sound for real!

Last edited:
Stunning colours from the palace gardens and I knew there would be Marguerite daisy flowers ;)

Forgot to Post this. 4 companies/Trusts from Aarhus has donated 40 millions for a small renovation, securing for the future as it is called, og Marselisborg. It will include new energy efficient windows, a new copper roof and spir aswell as a new garden stair from the castel to the main garden. Some articles also talk about minor electric work inside the castle. The all talk about a timeframe of up to 10 years, so most likely this is just the begining of some major inside renovation, for when Mary and Frederik takes over...Because of the rules, the inside of the castle have not been propperly renoveted since i am guessing the 60'ies...

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/marselisborg-slot-fremtidssikres

The trusts are Salling Fondene (Supermarkets Bilka- Føtex - Netto), Holch Povlsen Foundation (Clothing/Investments. Bestselle, Zalando, Normal, Nemlig.com) Systematic (tech) and LINDBERG OPTIK, (Glasses)

In Danish...

Last edited:
Marselisborg Slot is going through a major renovation these months.
https://www.tv2ostjylland.dk/aarhus/dronningens-ferieslot-faar-nyt-kobbertag-det-er-lidt-vemodigt

The copper-roof is being replaced. It is believed it's the original roof from 1902 that is being replaced.
Apart from that the electrical wiring is also being replaced.

All that costs money. And as you may know Marselisborg is owned by the DRF, not the state, so that would be quite a financial burden on the DRF, if they hadn't been supported by a 40 million DKK gift from various foundations that traditionally have close ties with the DRF. Because I doubt the DRF could afford a renovation on that scale without a hefty loan that would mean they would be in serious debt for quite a number of years!
The foundations are mainly established by businessmen who have a strong affiliation with either the city of Aarhus or at least east-central Jutland.
Because the manor house is a much treasured place for the locals to go, because it's located in the outskirt of the Marselisborg Forest, so while there you usually pop around to have a look at Marselisborg.

Back
Top Bottom