Glücksburg Castle, Glücksburg, Germany

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H.M. Margrethe

Courtier
City
Odense
Country
Denmark
In my summer vacation this year me my boyfriend and my inlaws went to se Glúcksburg castle in Germany.
I think it is a magnificent castle and i am a bit sorry that i did not got any pictures of it :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
It was like takeing a trip with the history of the Royal family of Denmark from King Christian 9. and up til Queen Margrethe 2. What a ruch.

How exciting. I have to go there one day. I was in Glücksburg once when I was a child, it's a beautiful town, but we didn't see the castle though.

The castle even has a special ''offer'' that you can get married there. How romantic :wub: http://www.schloss-gluecksburg.de/heiraten.html

Some information and pictures of the Castle:

-Glücksburg Castle was erected between 1582 and 1587
-The Castle is Germany's largest "water" castle
-The Castle is built on the site of a former Cistercian monastery called Rudekloster
-The initials of the Castle's motto (from Duke Johann the Younger) "Gott Gebe Glück Mit Friden" {God grant happiness with freedom} are found above the entrance to the Castle

The Castle from the Water
The Castle Chapel
The Green Vestibule
First Floor - Dining Room
First Floor - Red Hall
First Floor - Empress' Drawing Room
Attic
The Orangery
The Rose Garden

(Schloß Glücksburg: Home)

I visited Gluecksburg Castle fifty years ago when I was nine, and was visiting relatives living near the Danish border. To me, then, it was the fairytale Castle par excellence!
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, sometimes visits the castle when he catches up with his Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Gluecksburg relatives.

Does Denmark own this castle ?

Do any of the Danish Royal family spend time their

My dear JessRulz,

Thank you for posting the links to the marvelous photographs. What an impressive castle-- the first photograph makes Glucksburg Castle look like it floats on the water. Does the Danish royal family own this spectacular building? I cannot decipher the websites and I do not know the castle's history.

:previous:

It does, doesn't it? The Danish Royal Family do not own this castle, it is owned by the Glücksburg Castle Foundation, which is chaired by Prince Christoph of Schleswig-Holstein, head of the House of Glücksburg. No one lives in the castle now.

This image of the castle is beautiful. The composition and colouring is stunning.
(Source)

:previous:

It is gorgeous! Thank you so much for the information about the castle's ownership.:flowers:

This castle is the seat of the House of Glücksburg originally ducal house, was used by the kings of Denmark as a royal residence.

Family members named Glücksburg Castle are related to almost every dynasties in Europe.

The castle is one of the most famous sights of Schleswig-Holstein. It now houses a museum and is open to visitors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glücksburg_Castle

This castle is very beautiful! :flowers:

Glucksburg Castle featuring the Red Hall and the White Hall

I love the modesty of our castles,
compared to German ones it looks like Ikea style :D

Though I was surprised at Oslo castles finding the tablecloth wrinkled and obviously had not seen an iron. Guess they do it not for tourists but for the RF ;)

Back
Top Bottom