Danish Residences General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i managed to watch the video, i loved the beautiful interiors of the palace. and what a great guide to have QM taking us round! :)
thanks mulher for the helpful explanations. i am looking forward to the next episodes on grasten, fredensborg and marselisborg. (it would have been great if they also filmed in christiansborg, but i guess this is only a government palace...!)

Okay, let's have a look at what the whole thing was about.
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningens-slotte/dronningens-slotte-amalienborg-1
Riddersalen ( The Great Hall/Knights Hall). This is where the dinners take place and where the ladies of the DRF curtsy upon entering the room.
QMII's first New Year Court was when she was fifteen.
She hopes the Crown Princess will continue the tradition.
- I hope that was helpful. I think it's a series well worth watching outside DK as well.
If you have questions I or other Danish members can answer please give the approximate time it happens. :)

It was Muhler. Cant thank you enough for the translations. :flowers::flowers:
Not understanding Danish but this was still a joy to watch! Very beautiful places and to have the Queen herself talk about was a true joy to see.
and the old footage of the family, very nice!
I didnt know she attended at 15 her first New year's court, I always thought it was at 18.

One of the more charming scenes in this episode was when she talked about Frederik taking over. She clearly has confidence in him and you do not need a degree in reading facial expressions to realize that she is proud of him as well.

this was a very cute moment! aww baby Frederik :wub: (its like looking his kids).
http://40.media.tumblr.com/7b05edd7d204bb46f608cc59d320bb1a/tumblr_o3nquxetIH1turje1o5_500.png
And yes, the Queen spoke of Frederik with great pride (you can tell it in her face without understanding what she said)

Last edited:
I didnt know she attended at 15 her first New year's court, I always thought it was at 18.

You are welcome. :)

That was a surprise for me as well, so who knows? Perhaps Bella's first New Year Court is only some seven or eight years away.

That was a surprise for me as well, so who knows? Perhaps Bella's first New Year Court is only some seven or eight years away.

and Christian 5 years away. Hopefully.
but maybe this has changed, Nikolai is 16 and hasn't attended. Wonder at what age Frederik and Joachim attended

Thank you so so much for your translation/explanation Muhler :flowers: Having watched it live last night I may go and watch it again tonight with your translation in front of me :)
As you can tell from my signature etc I'm a huge admirer of QMII and seemed to have amassed quite a collection of memorabillia about her (books, magazines, DVDs). This includes a wonderful DVD called Droningens Danmark which has QMII giving her guide to various parts of Denmark and what they mean to her. Although I can't understand a word of it I still love it as her obvious love and enthusiasm for her country comes over and it has lots of old footage of home movies of the Royal family when she was a child which are fascinating to watch. I couldn't borrow you to do a similar translation for that DVD could I Muhler? (only joking!)

:previous: You are welcome. :)
Yes, I know the series. QMII knows a lot about DK! Partly because she's a well-read and well-informed woman with a keen interest of history, but also because she has by now visited most towns in DK on her summer cruises and been briefed in advance. :graduate:

I may be able to help you with some details if you can find the specific clip on the Net, but an entire DVD will have to wait for when I retire. ;)

:previous: You are welcome. :)
Yes, I know the series. QMII knows a lot about DK! Partly because she's a well-read and well-informed woman with a keen interest of history, but also because she has by now visited most towns in DK on her summer cruises and been briefed in advance. :graduate:

I may be able to help you with some details if you can find the specific clip on the Net, but an entire DVD will have to wait for when I retire. ;)

LOL!

I've just watched the programme again and I loved the bit at the end when she realised she was still wearing the mic.

Okay, let's have a look at what the whole thing was about.
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningens-slotte/dronningens-slotte-amalienborg-1

02.20: We start in Christian VII's Mansion, build by Count Moltke, who was very rich and influential.
Moltekes Gemak, stueetagen = Moltke's room, groundfloor.
Now a guestroom.
Now Christian VII's mansion is representation and guestrooms. But in the 1800's it was the seat of the Foreign Ministry. Later kindergarten for Frederik and Joachim.
Renovated 1996.
(03:40) This is where QMII talks about while royals are willing to accept primitive conditions, guests from republics - nah.
In the 1700's the same fabric was used for curtains, walls, furnitures and bedspread.

QMII was from childhood very interested in furnishing and decoration of the homes and she was taught by Queen Ingrid.

There are three stories in each of the mansions. Ground floor (stuen), the first floor (which is grander, hence the name beletage) and second floor (mezzanin).

06:10 Mezzanin. Several guestrooms furnished by QMII.
Klunkeværelset, these furnitures stems from the West Indies and were brought back after 1917 after the sale of the Danish West Indies. This is quality mahogany!

07:00 The Secret Stairs, that are not at all secret, just tucked away a bit.
07:40 On the repos between the mazzanin and beletage. This is hi-fi anno 1760! The window opens and those in the room below can hear when a little group of musicians sit on the repos and play. The sound is very good.

Taffelsalen, beletage. This room was from the beginning meant as a dining room, so the wall-decoration depicts fish and animals that can end up on the table.
When eating dinner back then (1760) you were only issued one wineglass. When you wanted more wine, a servant took your glass, rinsed it in the sink and poured new, or the same wine, up for you.

12:30 Vestibulen. Here foreign dignitaries are received. This also where the cameras are positioned at the New Year Court.
QMII appreciate there is live on the square all year round.

15:00 The garden behind the mansion, established 1754 and now brought back to it's original state.
The two rectangles of grass are called by the Frenchification of the English words bowling-greene (don't ask me to write it in French!).
In QMII's childhood, she and her sisters and classmates sometimes went here to play ball, but back then it was only a lawn with a few trees.
Later she and her sister walked to school, regardless of the weather on Queen Ingrid's insistence, because that was healthy and fresh air and all that. Also through knee-deep snow on occasion.

18:00 Kongens salon, stueetagen = the King's Chamber, for the visiting head of state. Furnished by QMII, who insisted on a large bed. Now where to put such a thing with doors and windows all over the place? In the middle of the room.
But first we go through the office at disposal for the head of state.

Galleriet, beletage. Here the guests can mingle. The chairs and couches are not too deep, because that's a problem when wearing big gowns!
21:30 - A voliere in the back of the garden. It has not yet been restored, but it will be - or Frederik will ensure it will be.

Fløjlsgemakket, beletage (The Velvet Chamber)
The velvet was a present from the French King to Moltke. Restored in the 1990's. Here guests are received and shake hands with the DRF.

Riddersalen ( The Great Hall/Knights Hall). This is where the dinners take place and where the ladies of the DRF curtsy upon entering the room.

Rosen, beletage. - The outermost room. Here a good deal of what is left of the original table set of Flora Danica is displayed. The set was meant as a present for Tzarina Katharina of Russia, but she died so the DRF kept the set.

Kollonnaden. Build in 1794 from wood, because it was meant to be temporary.

30:00 Christian IX's Mansion. QMII's private residence.
Den blå forstue, beletage - the Blue Front Room.
QMII is very fond of the painting of PH. It encapsulates him.

Arbejdsværelset, stueetagen QMII's office, ground floor.
A nervous QMII giving her first New Year speech, from this office.
Here she on Wednesdays receive the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister, separately. They sit in the couch where QMII is briefed.

Den gule salon - The Yellow Salon, which is a semi-private part of the mansion.
The gobelin on the wall was the wedding present from the government and Parliament.
The room is also used to receiving foreign prime ministers and such like. I.e. the notch below head of state.

34:50 an very shy Princess Margrethe to her first State Council when she turned eighteen.

At noon on her birthdays, she is cheered by the people and it was her dad who taught her to embrace the cheers. She is however a bit shy on her eighteenth birthday.
The first time she ever saw a guards parade, with drums and fifes, was in 1945 after the Liberation, when the Royal Lifeguard took over from the police in guarding Amalienborg. She was five years old.

Fanegemakket, stueetagen - the Colour Chamber, ground floor. Is where the colours of the Royal Lifeguards stand and are brought back after the guards have been relieved.
The latest colour bear QMII's monogram.
They were first brought over here on the evening of Frederik IX's death and QMII received the colours.
Around 42:00 you can tell QMII's confidence in Frederik being ready to take over, and pride.

At the very end. She forgot to return the microphone.

- I hope that was helpful. I think it's a series well worth watching outside DK as well.
If you have questions I or other Danish members can answer please give the approximate time it happens. :)
Muhler, I add my thanks to the chorus that has already sent their praises to you on the RF!' I was delighted to discover that HM had done much of the room decoration herself; I have seen the 'storage castle' Rosenborg so that I can well imagine HM historical expertise has stood her in good stead when making a choice of what to exhibit in each exquisite room:flowers:I am curious however why HM took the decision to share the castles with the Danish people at this point in her life? I watched carefully how she moves through the rooms and down the stairs-this exercise is not easy for her. I wonder whether the Prince Consort's actions have influenced her decision to invite the camera's into the palaces? (I was, BTW, entertained by his portrait with a horse and wonder whether HM would have preferred him pictured with the horse's other end!:D)
I will miss the next two weeks instalments as I am flying to Amsterdam on Sunday: do please leave the links up as I shall enjoy them on my return! Mange mange :flowers:tak

I love her comment when talking about being slightly worried when using the Flora Danica " Either you die of fright or you carry on... and you can't really die of fright every day, can you"

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Muhler, I add my thanks to the chorus that has already sent their praises to you on the RF!' I was delighted to discover that HM had done much of the room decoration herself; I have seen the 'storage castle' Rosenborg so that I can well imagine HM historical expertise has stood her in good stead when making a choice of what to exhibit in each exquisite room:flowers:I am curious however why HM took the decision to share the castles with the Danish people at this point in her life? I watched carefully how she moves through the rooms and down the stairs-this exercise is not easy for her. I wonder whether the Prince Consort's actions have influenced her decision to invite the camera's into the palaces? (I was, BTW, entertained by his portrait with a horse and wonder whether HM would have preferred him pictured with the horse's other end!:D)
I will miss the next two weeks instalments as I am flying to Amsterdam on Sunday: do please leave the links up as I shall enjoy them on my return! Mange mange :flowers:tak

I expect the links will be up here at the TRF as long as they are working. Probably a couple of months. So if anyone wants to download the vids it might be a good idea to do it now, while they can still be viewed.

As for why showing the palaces. Well, partly because the DR has never hidden behind the walls and partly because one of the keys to the DRF having the strong position they have within the tribe is that we know them, we know how they live, we know how they think, we know about it when they have problems. So we, the rest of the tribe, can relate to them.

I was on a tour inside the Chr.VII´s Mansion three weeks ago, so let me add a few things :flowers:

06:10 Mezzanin. Several guestrooms furnished by QMII.
Klunkeværelset, these furnitures stems from the West Indies and were brought back after 1917 after the sale of the Danish West Indies. This is quality mahogany!
This is where QMII says "Det er kram" :lol:

07:40 On the repos between the mazzanin and beletage. This is hi-fi anno 1760! The window opens and those in the room below can hear when a little group of musicians sit on the repos and play. The sound is very good.
There´s a story going on that the three princesses, I.E. Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie, once sat on the repos during a dinner, so they could see how to do it and how to behave when having a larger dinner. But the princesses enjoyed themselves by throwing peas at the guests from the repos :ROFLMAO:

12:30 Vestibulen. Here foreign dignitaries are received. This also where the cameras are positioned at the New Year Court.
QMII appreciate there is live on the square all year round.
The stairs here are slippery as H*** :eek: It´s stairs made of marble. Even I had to take care and walk slowly down otherwise I would have been on my behind and down the stairs quite fast :eek:

Galleriet, beletage. Here the guests can mingle. The chairs and couches are not too deep, because that's a problem when wearing big gowns!
And there are paintings ALL over the wall.

Inside Riddersalen, which is 130 square meters, there is a display of the original curtain. The present curtains are made after this original and you can clearly see it, when you see it live.
Depending on whether they sit around round tables or long tables there can be around 65-90 people, if I remember the numbers right :ermm:

Rosen, beletage. - The outermost room. Here a good deal of what is left of the original table set of Flora Danica is displayed. The set was meant as a present for Tzarina Katharina of Russia, but she died so the DRF kept the set.
The room is called "Rosen", because there is a rose on the ceiling. It is after the word "Sub Rosa" meaning "all what is said under the rose is to be kept in this room". So this is where the servants could talk freely about the lordship. (Think Upstairs/Downstairs or Downton Abbey).

What a totally amazing tour! So much history and so much beauty to behold in those rooms. I especially loved the crystal chandeliers and got a mental flashback of how beautiful it would have been many years ago when those chandeliers were lit with candles (I'm supposing of course that's how it was). I think my favorite room was the one in Christian VII's palace with the green bed, walls and furniture. It just looks so cozy and you feel like you'd want to curl up and go to sleep.

It was a very well put together documentary and I just loved how it first showed Queen Margrethe as a kid on the swing and panned into her now on it.

Thank you so much Muhler for the room by room commentary that added so much for us that don't speak or read Danish. :flowers:

Very impressive and enjoyable program. Although I didn't understand a word of it, you can tell some things, like the melancholy in her voice and face when she speaks about her father. She also seems to enjoy watching the goings-on in the square, with tourists taking pictures or just passing through. In the pics of Fred as a toddler, I can see that the love of red pants started early! Like Queen Elizabeth, QM carries her handbag with her, even on a tour of her own home. It must be a ''queen thing.''

Muhler, your translations are a help to us non-Danish speakers. Thank you. :flowers:

I really loved the video, and it was a big help reading your information Muhler first. Many Thanks for that. I do hope they put out a cd on the series, and make it available to all of us around the world. Cheers

As a follow up on the programme, where QMII clearly expressed her confidence in Frederik being ready to take over BT has posted a very positive article about how he has been prepared in recent years. (Thanks, Roskilde)
Dronning Margrethe afslører: Sådan forbereder jeg Frederik til livet som konge - Royale | www.bt.dk

Unfortunately I simply haven't got time to go into details right now. But I will point out the survey towards the bottom.
The question is: Will Frederik be a good king? Yes (ja), no (nej). As you can tell a massive majority believe he will.

It was my pleasure, Tarlita, Osipi & Midwestmom. :)

:previous: very nice article
94% think he will be great King. :flowers:

"In relation to the upbringing, education and values, he is completely ready. He has been for many years now. But the Crown Prince had as a young trouble accepting his fate, his future was chiseled into the kingdom's constitution. Now he has put youth identity crisis behind them. It was partly his involvement in the military and partly family life with his children and wife, who strengthened and matured him, "said historian and royal family expert Jon Bloch Skipper to BT.

"But he has a great feel for what's what. I can feel it, "says Margrethe with a satisfied smile playing on her lips.
He is Queen approved :cool:

Thank you for the BT article link Roskilde and Muhler! From the article, we also find out some new information about CP Frederik's preparation to be King or as the article states " different and more invisible royal chores that go on behind the thick walls of Amalienborg". CP Frederik regularly attends the weekly meetings between the Queen, Prime Minister and other ministers. We know that CP Frederik attends state council meetings monthly...but I think that this is the first time that we know about these more regular meetings.
Yet another example of the work going on behind the scenes that we knew nothing about.

Thanks, Muhler. Very informative!
Denmark deserves a Monarch who is very knowledgeable about it's history and culture.
It's clear, Margrethe enjoys being Danish.
Hopefully, Frederik and Mary can enstill passion for both Denmark and service in their children and educate them more in line with Margrethe.
Fred's struggle seems to have overwhelmed much of his adult life.

Margrethe spending a lot of time with her grandchildren could be difficult, due to her smoking.. but it's a shame when generations don't pass on very important cultural traditions and drive. I hope Margrethe makes a priority of sharing time and history.

I loved watching the show, I've always wanted to see inside Amalienborg in details, I've been to the museum but that wasn't quite the same.

But can any danish members tell me what she was saying about her mother's birthday when standing in front of the Flora Danica?...I understood most of the things she said but I couldn't quite catch that:)

Thank you for the BT article link Roskilde and Muhler! From the article, we also find out some new information about CP Frederik's preparation to be King or as the article states " different and more invisible royal chores that go on behind the thick walls of Amalienborg". CP Frederik regularly attends the weekly meetings between the Queen, Prime Minister and other ministers. We know that CP Frederik attends state council meetings monthly...but I think that this is the first time that we know about these more regular meetings.
Yet another example of the work going on behind the scenes that we knew nothing about.

I agree. Hopefully more light is put on the work behind the scenes. we get a little glimpse of it in a few articles. For example when they changed prime ministers last year, i believe the new prime minister stated how Frederik has been involved.

It was a great article to read, not only does the Queen have full confidence in him but also the majority of the Danes :flowers:

:previous: Yep. :p

I intend to watch it and you'll get a guide like the one last Sunday either later Sunday evening or sometime Monday.

I lived for a number of years in Aarhus, so I know Marselisborg and surroundings pretty well.
The park is open to the public when the DRF are not in residence, so you can literally walk right up to the building.
And because the park is open to the public, Aarhus municipality takes care of the park, so the DRF save money.

Reactions: eya
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningens-slotte/dronningens-slotte-marselisborg-slot-2
This is the programme about Marselisborg.

It still provides a look into QMII's personality.

This episode was very much QMII in holiday mode, relaxing. But also very much QMII as the interior decorator. Especially her sense of using colors.
Some of the bronze sculptures in the park are by PH.

Marselisborg is described by QMII as "a big house with little room".

There really isn't that much to write about, so I suggest you relax and quietly watch QMII relaxing, without being distracted by what is being said.

Tomorrow I'll point out a few details about what is being shown and said.

Reactions: eya
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningens-slotte/dronningens-slotte-marselisborg-slot-2
This is the programme about Marselisborg.

Some of the bronze sculptures in the park are by PH.

I think that I'm still in shock about the very erotic male & female bronze sculpture. :D:whistling:I mean...when I first saw the little statute inside the house...that made me blush (and I'm a black woman!):lol::p
But when I saw the large scale sculpture in the rose garden...I was like Wuh Loss!!!!:ohmy::ohmy: I still can't get over it!!
Prince Henrik is a man with a very interesting mind and way of expression....and I will leave it at that!!:ROFLMAO::whistling:

If I remember correctly the statue was a 70th birthday present to QMII from PH. I'm fairly certain there was a bit of a discussion about it on these boards at the time, lol.

So glad there has been a bit of comment about "that" sculpture. Did PH make that himself??
I have enjoyed both episodes so far, but I find that sculpture disturbing and disrespectful of their intimate relationship....but I am a prude. I am sure there is a thread on the subject, but I have no idea how to find it. Would someone kindly post a link?

Thanks, Ana

Each to his own I suppose.

Having been in the park several times and seen the sculptures up close I like them.
And it's a beautiful theme everyone can relate to: an erotic embrace.

Back
Top Bottom