Danish Residences General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Part two)

30:00 - She discovers a fledgling, a swallow, on the net. Who has just learned to fly. "... Ooh, but it really is difficult". (30:16).

31.00 - The robo-mover. QMII has as you know never been interested in technology, but it works and it's a tremendous help, because of the huge lawns.
The dachhunds were initially deeply fascinated and barked and jumped around the movers.
31:45 - "... Then they worked out that if they stood right in front of them (the movers) they could make it stop. And that confused them even more! Bit now it seems like they take them for granted".

When the DRF are not in residence the park is open to the public and the locals very much use the park. The circular bench is a particular favorite among the public. It was a present on her 70th birthday.
When sitting there QMII talks about the bench being good, because several people can sit here without necessarily having to interact.

H.C. Andersen visited Gråsten back in the 1800's when Gråsten was owned by a noble family and it was here he wrote The Little Match Girl.

33:43 - There are quite a few swans (DK's official national bird BTW) in the pond and "Here the swans have been on land and done what swans do... The worst thing is if the dogs find out and wants to perfume themselves. They can come up with that. THAT is no fun - when you get them inside again"!
34:14 - "Mind the swan-poos, they are big"!

34:30 - In late 1944 Gråsten was turned into a lazaret by the Germans and a few employees from the court rushed down to take the furnitures to safety in the church. But this table was left behind as the only thing, it was simply too heavy! (35:01)
The Germans left in June 1945 and the DRF returned in the late summer of 1945.

Back in the chapel, she talks about death.
She likes going to church, she likes following the year within the church calendar and to hear the sermons, that sometimes are good and at other times less than interesting, but then it shouldn't be a sensation every time she believe. It's just as much about being there.
She is well aware that statistically speaking it's closer now than it used to be. It's not something she thinks about that much though. And she tries to explain that as a Christian she is glad that to her death is not the end, it's not total oblivion.
(38:25-39:55) Death - "It's not a positive thing as such. But it's... It's something that is there... it's... It's that way it is, where there is life, there is death. But... But it's not JUST that. Eeh, it's more than the grass withering only to reemerge with the seeds. It's also not just that, it's something else after all, I think. That's what I believe you find in your Christian faith. - That one is not alone in... To say it bluntly, there... One shall not go into death alone, Jesus has been there himself. That I think is the essential. - But that doesn't mean you won't be very sad and probably afraid too when it comes closer. But for the time being the statistics say that the end is closer than it used to be".

40:50 - This house used to be lived in by the gardener, but after the DRF took over it became a kind of playhouse for the children and a place to be away from the main building.
Swings: "This you probably never become too old to do".
Then it starts to rain and she urges the crew to seek shelter inside, and also her LiW.

- And with that a very endearing portrait of QMII ends. It has been really enjoyable and also very interesting series for me to watch.
I hope it will eventually be shown abroad, otherwise you have to write DR1 and your local networks demanding they show it. ;)

:previous: thank you Muhler. :flowers: it is very much appreciated.
and yes a lovely summer day ;)

interesting to hear her talk about death...I love by the way how she interacts with the crew, it was cute how one of them helped her move the bench and then move it again.

again it was a joy to watch!

added:
"It ain't easy being Queen"
http://imageupper.com/s02/1/3/M1459266026318728_1.png

Last edited:
I have thoroughly enjoyed all of these personal tours of the residences of the Danish Royal Family and have come to find I have a soft spot for Queen "Daisy" Margrethe. She seems to be such a relaxed, open hearted soul that sees and enjoys the beauty around her and that is reflected in her keen sense of color and design. It is no wonder the people of Denmark love their Queen.

I love her whimsical nature too. She cuts quite the picture strolling around the gardens with that daisy umbrella. Its uniquely her. I noticed too that she also had daisy earrings and brooch on too.

Thank you again so much Muhler as your commentaries really give me a more in depth understanding of what was going on.

Thanks for fantastic translation and coverage, Muhler :flowers:

Another little personal detail I think was nice as well. When we (at 14.05 minutes into the clip) sees how Frederik, Mary and all four children have written in Margrethe's guest book after they last summer spend their entire summer holiday at Gråsten Palace.

They all, including the children themselves, have signed. Notice that Isabella has written a heart after her name (typically girls of that age) And how the children also have signed for Ziggy and drawn a brown dog paw and written 'vuf vuf ' :D :D

http://45.media.tumblr.com/56f193c8bf7b0400d28a07654ba2606f/tumblr_o4rn4bjctM1vnawh1o3_500.gif

Last edited:
(Part two)

30:00 - She discovers a fledgling, a swallow, on the net. Who has just learned to fly. "... Ooh, but it really is difficult". (30:16).

31.00 - The robo-mover. QMII has as you know never been interested in technology, but it works and it's a tremendous help, because of the huge lawns.
The dachhunds were initially deeply fascinated and barked and jumped around the movers.
31:45 - "... Then they worked out that if they stood right in front of them (the movers) they could make it stop. And that confused them even more! Bit now it seems like they take them for granted".

When the DRF are not in residence the park is open to the public and the locals very much use the park. The circular bench is a particular favorite among the public. It was a present on her 70th birthday.
When sitting there QMII talks about the bench being good, because several people can sit here without necessarily having to interact.

H.C. Andersen visited Gråsten back in the 1800's when Gråsten was owned by a noble family and it was here he wrote The Little Match Girl.

33:43 - There are quite a few swans (DK's official national bird BTW) in the pond and "Here the swans have been on land and done what swans do... The worst thing is if the dogs find out and wants to perfume themselves. They can come up with that. THAT is no fun - when you get them inside again"!
34:14 - "Mind the swan-poos, they are big"!

34:30 - In late 1944 Gråsten was turned into a lazaret by the Germans and a few employees from the court rushed down to take the furnitures to safety in the church. But this table was left behind as the only thing, it was simply too heavy! (35:01)
The Germans left in June 1945 and the DRF returned in the late summer of 1945.

Back in the chapel, she talks about death.
She likes going to church, she likes following the year within the church calendar and to hear the sermons, that sometimes are good and at other times less than interesting, but then it shouldn't be a sensation every time she believe. It's just as much about being there.
She is well aware that statistically speaking it's closer now than it used to be. It's not something she thinks about that much though. And she tries to explain that as a Christian she is glad that to her death is not the end, it's not total oblivion.
(38:25-39:55) Death - "It's not a positive thing as such. But it's... It's something that is there... it's... It's that way it is, where there is life, there is death. But... But it's not JUST that. Eeh, it's more than the grass withering only to reemerge with the seeds. It's also not just that, it's something else after all, I think. That's what I believe you find in your Christian faith. - That one is not alone in... To say it bluntly, there... One shall not go into death alone, Jesus has been there himself. That I think is the essential. - But that doesn't mean you won't be very sad and probably afraid too when it comes closer. But for the time being the statistics say that the end is closer than it used to be".

40:50 - This house used to be lived in by the gardener, but after the DRF took over it became a kind of playhouse for the children and a place to be away from the main building.
Swings: "This you probably never become too old to do".
Then it starts to rain and she urges the crew to seek shelter inside, and also her LiW.

- And with that a very endearing portrait of QMII ends. It has been really enjoyable and also very interesting series for me to watch.
I hope it will eventually be shown abroad, otherwise you have to write DR1 and your local networks demanding they show it. ;)
Mange mange tak Muhler (do you say stor mange tak:flowers:) because I know stor means 'big'! Thank you so very much for your helpful commentary, translations and insights that made watching this lovely series even richer. I shall indeed write to our CBC asking them to purchase these documentaries as a way of celebrating Danish Canadian relations:previous:

You are welcome, Gerry, Polyesco, Roskilde & Osipi. :)

Well Gerry, "mange, mange tak" is actually fine, alternatively "rigtig mange tak" or "en stor tak". - And thus ends this mornings DK-lesson. :graduate:

The viewer ratings and reception of this series has been very good here in DK, shown as it was during evening-coffee-time, not least because it was IMO such an honest portrait of QMII, being herself and without the immense insecurity of her younger days. She has accepted herself for better or worse and to me she appeared genuinely happy and relaxed. - The reason I think, is that she, just like the rest of the country (by and large), feels M&F are now fully prepared to take over and that must be a huge burden off your back.
There was no doubt a very good rapport between her and the crew, formal yet informal at the same time and that would be a tremendous factor as well.

What I saw was a grandma telling us about episodes and funny little details from a long life - and that is always interesting listening to.
My parents and grandparents are long dead, so in a funny way she reminds me of my mother-in-law.
It was feel-good TV that at the same time didn't leave you more stupid than before the show started. - And we need a dose of feel-good TV these days!

Well Gerry, "mange, mange tak" is actually fine, alternatively "rigtig mange tak" or "en stor tak". - And thus ends this mornings DK-lesson. :graduate:

The viewer ratings and reception of this series has been very good here in DK, shown as it was during evening-coffee-time, not least because it was IMO such an honest portrait of QMII, being herself and without the immense insecurity of her younger days. She has accepted herself for better or worse and to me she appeared genuinely happy and relaxed. - The reason I think, is that she, just like the rest of the country (by and large), feels M&F are now fully prepared to take over and that must be a huge burden off your back.
There was no doubt a very good rapport between her and the crew, formal yet informal at the same time and that would be a tremendous factor as well.

What I saw was a grandma telling us about episodes and funny little details from a long life - and that is always interesting listening to.
My parents and grandparents are long dead, so in a funny way she reminds me of my mother-in-law.
It was feel-good TV that at the same time didn't leave you more stupid than before the show started. - And we need a dose of feel-good TV these days!

I agree (especially with the parts in bold) thank you again for the translations. I do hope it comes out in English one day, I would watch it again:flowers:

Muhler, thank you so very much for all the translations and notes on the programs! You are the BEST! I could not have enjoyed it near as much without your help.

Summaries of Q&A in Billed Bladet #13, 2016.

Where people have noticed a couple of details in the recent documentaries.

Camilla Smedegaard Larsen would like to know who the artist is who painted the painting with birds of the Faeroe Islands that is hanging at Marselisborg. https://app.box.com/s/nda6q177q2w7b2kisiyvuepqom8yds7v

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that the painter is Edward Fuglsø (Fuglsø BTW means Bird Island, very appropriate).
It was the Faeroese Parliament's present to QMII on the occasion of her 40th jubilee and not as QMII said a present for her 70th birthday. - But then not even queens can remember everything...

Peter and Hanne Poulsen wondered why QMII carried a handbag around in her own home.

Jon Bloch Skipper explains that it's simply to have necessities ready, like tissues, keys, notebook and so on - but no mobile! QMII does not own a mobile.
- I'll add that we mere moratals rarely have to go more than from say the kitchen to the living room to fetch something we need, but a palace is a little bit bigger...

You are most welcome, Princess Gertrude :)

Jon Bloch Skipper explains that it's simply to have necessities ready, like tissues, keys, notebook and so on - but no mobile! QMII does not own a mobile.
- I'll add that we mere moratals rarely have to go more than from say the kitchen to the living room to fetch something we need, but a palace is a little bit bigger...

Looking at the sizes of these estates, I'd even wager that sometimes that handbag could serve as an overnight bag and carry a map just in case one gets displaced. :D

Another necessity I've noticed is a good, trusty golf cart. Those things are so cool, fun to drive and goes slow enough that one can smell the roses.

Thanks for fantastic translation and coverage, Muhler :flowers:

Another little personal detail I think was nice as well. When we (at 14.05 minutes into the clip) sees how Frederik, Mary and all four children have written in Margrethe's guest book after they last summer spend their entire summer holiday at Gråsten Palace.

They all, including the children themselves, have signed. Notice that Isabella has written a heart after her name (typically girls of that age) And how the children also have signed for Ziggy and drawn a brown dog paw and written 'vuf vuf ' :D :D

http://45.media.tumblr.com/56f193c8bf7b0400d28a07654ba2606f/tumblr_o4rn4bjctM1vnawh1o3_500.gif

This was a very cute detail. The Queen looked very happy when she mentioned that the CP family stayed three weeks and enjoyed themselves

I loved how they signed in to the guest book, one for the future ;)
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d7c3d2c2089874e64862cf444c38fe60/tumblr_o4stcotCIn1turje1o1_500.png

It has been a wonderful series and I hope that DR1 release it on a DVD. Tak for the commentary Muhler - most helpful.

For those who wish to learn more about the Danish residences, in English: Royal Palaces

It was my pleasure, Tarlita & HereditaryPrincess. :)

I love how the Queen has the confidence to effectively 'present' her own show about the palaces. She is obviously knowledgable about each residence and its so much more interesting to hear her talking about them rather than some tv presenter using notes.
I'd love the Queen to have started a trend other monarchs decide to copy ;-)

I definitely agree. With the Queen taking us through the residences and adding her own personal histories and remarks, it made a whole world of difference in how one would see these magnificent buildings. Not only in a historical, museum like quality but also more on a personal, at home level. What I loved the best about all four of the presentations was my own personal discovery of just how artistic Margrethe is and all her personal touches in the various rooms from floral arrangements to needlework to etchings on the windows and doors.

Very well presented and interesting programs and of course, made all the better for us that don't speak Danish by our own Muhler.

:previous: Well, it comes with a royal recommendation, should foreign networks wish to buy the series.

Prinsesse Marie roser sin svigermors TV-programmer | BILLED-BLADET

Joachim and our Marie are being quoted in BB.
Marie: "We have absolutely seen all the shows. They were really, really good".

Joachim about his mother being a good presenter/guide: "That doesn't surprise me, since I know the Queen. It wasn't so unexpected.
What really surprised me was the big interest and very, very good reviews the programs got afterwards".

Joachim says to BB that the entire DRF have seen the series, including M&F.
QMII got the series on DVD beforehand and she was so pleased that she saw the first two episodes in one go. (And she doesn't watch much TV, apart from the news, as it is).

BB is wrapping up the series in the paper edition this week, with a number of interesting figures.

In a country of 5.6 million, 781.000 tuned in to watch the first show about Amalienborg. The second show about Marselisborg was watched by 820.000 viewers. The third show on Easter Sunday, unsurprisingly dropped to 615.000 but the final show was watched by 953.000 viewers.
The viewers ratings were overall 4.5 out of 5 possible, so that is pretty impressive!

There does not appear to be plans about the series being sold on DVD, so you have to write DR1 and pressure them if you are interested in the documentary being shown abroad. Or make your local networks aware of the documentary.

Those figures sound pretty impressive and seem to suggest that once people had heard about the first episode more people wanted to see it. Thanks as ever Muhler!

Those of you who have seen the Danish names for the various manors, palaces and castles in DK, may have wondered about the names.

Here is a guide:

Places ending in "borg", (like Ulfsborg) is derived from German burg = castle. In fact a late medieval castle.

Places ending in "hus", (like Koldinghus) is old Danish, originally meaning a large stone building, like a large impressive house, abbey or castle. Today the word simply means house. So in connection with a manor/castle it's an early medieval castle.

Places ending in "gård" or "herregård" is a large estate or manor. Gård = farm. Herregård = small manor.

Then there is the word "slot". It derives from German schloss and in Danish context it means a manor/estate/castle that is or has been owned by the DRF.

Hence Christiansborg Slot = Christian's Castle previously owned by the DRF.

I learned the bit about "slot" today, so it's been a good day. :)

No. Iceland played. :) - But I heard about it early today.

OK :) There was a show at TV 2 "En stor dag på godset" about Tranekær Castle where Count Christian Ahlefeldt-Laurvig told about the differences between the names :)

:previous: No, only watched the spoiler. :)

The palace gardens around Charlottenlund Palace were originally in the Baroque style. In the late 1800s, these gardens were changed into the English landscape style.

Back
Top Bottom