The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2016, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Very interesting. Looking forward to. Is tha Amalienborg Part about all 4 Amalienborg Palaces or only Christian IX's Palace?

Old 03-04-2016, 04:32 AM
Majesty

Not sure.

I think Amalienborg in general and Christian IX's Mansion and the representative mansion in particular. There is little point in QMII showing around in M&F's home - even though I'd like to know what she thinks.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Not sure.

I think Amalienborg in general and Christian IX's Mansion and the representative mansion in particular. There is little point in QMII showing around in M&F's home - even though I'd like to know what she thinks.

She did say she likes bold colors
Old 03-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Majesty

For those who may wish to watch the programme where QMII talks and guides us through two of the four mansions at Amalienborg, here is a link you can hopefully see: https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1#!/,autoplay=true

The programme starts in five minutes from this is posted.

I expect to write a review later.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Unfortunately I can not see it. So i wait for the review from you Muhler!!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Majesty

What a pity.

But usually a permanent link will be uploaded at some point and when that happens I'll write a more detailed account of what is going on.

It was every bit what I had expected and I sincerely hope it will be shown outside of DK.
It makes a colossal difference that it's QMII who is the only one showing around and talking about the places. It makes it so much more personal.

The main focus was on the representative Christian VII's mansion. Which is used at New Year Courts and sometimes to house visiting heads of states but also sometimes for gala dinners. Here we see QMII curtsy. That was a tradition started by Queen Ingrid, who thought it was appropriate that DRF ladies curtsied once a year. That happens at the grand New Year Court when they enter the Knights Hall. QMII hopes Mary will continue the tradition. Mary and our Marie also curtsy upon entering that hall in front of the guests. I.e. members of the government and representatives from the Parliament.
It was renovated back in 1996 and QMII had very much had a say in redecoration of this mansion.
QMII makes an interesting observation. At the renovation she insisted on more bathrooms being made, because while visiting royals are used to things being a little old-fashioned from their own palaces. Staffmembers of visiting president have difficulty understanding that they should be say three to share one bathroom!

There is for understandable reasons less focus on Christian IX's mansion, that is after all where she lives. But we get a tour of her office - as it looks on a day to day basis. I.e. with plenty of papers and files lying around. - They clear it away for the New Year speech.

There is a tradition for the heir to take over the mansion used by the grandparents. QMII finds that very practical.
The Monarch has two mansion at her/his disposal at any given time. Where she lives and the representative mansion. The other two mansions are used by the heir and the last as museum, library and apartments for members of the DRF.

Very practical Christian VII and Christian IX mansions are connected by a colonnade which the DRF use after the grand New Year Court. Presumably to get their feet up and have a little chat before saying goodnight. Something akin to "Did you see the dress the Minister for Education wore? Was that from a curtain or what?!?"

We were also shown the chamber for the colours of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment. On the evening her father died, the colours were transferred from the mansion Frederik IX lived in to QMII's mansion and she received them. That was a special moment for her. That's it, you are on.

On several occasions she fingers a brooch in the shape of a horseshoe. That was presented to her by her father on 5th June 1953 (Constitution day), the day the new Constitution was signed and she was now the official heir.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Commoner

I did manage to watch it live (from the UK) even though I couldn't understand a word :-) Thank you so much (as usual) for your translation/explanation Muhler. I knew the Queen curtsied at the New Year court but I hadn't realised it was her mother that had introduced it. I know where I will be for the next 3 Sunday evenings.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you Muhler, such great details
Old 03-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
QMII makes an interesting observation. At the renovation she insisted on more bathrooms being made, because while visiting royals are used to things being a little old-fashioned from their own palaces. Staffmembers of visiting president have difficulty understanding that they should be say three to share one bathroom!
It was the best comment in this part Well, that comment has to compete with the comment about the furniture being "kram". Her pride when she said that - priceless
Old 03-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Commoner

OK - I'm curious now. What does "kram" mean please. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibrarianDaisy View Post
OK - I'm curious now. What does "kram" mean please. Thanks!
I simply don´t know the English word for it But I can try to explain. It means that the furniture made of solid mahogany is creme de la creme of craftmanship and you cannot find it better.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Commoner

Thanks FasterB
Old 03-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Majesty

One of the more charming scenes in this episode was when she talked about Frederik taking over. She clearly has confidence in him and you do not need a degree in reading facial expressions to realize that she is proud of him as well.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
One of the more charming scenes in this episode was when she talked about Frederik taking over. She clearly has confidence in him and you do not need a degree in reading facial expressions to realize that she is proud of him as well.
And add to that that she just calls him Frederik Whereas when she spoke about the tradition with the yearly curtsy, she calls CPss Mary for "The Crown Princess".
Old 03-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Majesty

Are you able to watch this outside DK?
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningens-...-amalienborg-1

If you are, I will write a more detailed account, room for room, tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Danish Residences General Discussion

Even if the program is supposed to be about the palace it does give us a great insight to the very heart of the queen. What a gem she is. The Danes are so lucky to have her. She comes across as although grand not stuffy at all and the love she has for her palace is evident.
I love the way it has been produced and set up. It almost feels like you're there being shown round by the queen yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:

YES! Mange tak Muhler, I will wait for your views as I try to understand the Queen's commentary!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Nobility

Thanks very much for the link, what a very well-produced program! I agree with everything generously written so far, and I would add that some of the things the Queen says, are very informative as to her thinking and personality. The Queen mentions, when speaking about the passing of her father, that when the banners were moved from his Palace on the night of his death, over to hers, she knew that the duty and task was hers, for life. She once again in my eyes makes clear that the Danish monarchy is based on a life duty, and that the duty ends at the death of the monarch, when it is transferred to the heir.

It's very enjoyable to see the inside of the Palace, and I can't wait to see the next episode!
Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
The Queen mentions, when speaking about the passing of her father, that when the banners were moved from his Palace on the night of his death, over to hers, she knew that the duty and task was hers, for life. She once again in my eyes makes clear that the Danish monarchy is based on a life duty, and that the duty ends at the death of the monarch, when it is transferred to the heir.
Yes, I noticed that too. She´s Queen of Denmark til her last breath.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Yes. I can see.

Tags
alexandra manley, castles, christian iv, countess alexandra, danish royal history, danish royal palaces, denmark, palaces, residences