The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 AM
Aristocracy

I very much agree with your latter prediction - that the houses will likely see more use as the children "fan out".

Looking even further into the future there may be some difficulties. Frederik and Mary's children - at least the three youngest - will have to be treated rather equal (Christian, being the future king will be in a special position).

Depending on the lives they will lead, Isabella and the twins may chose a life far away from the public eye, or they may go the road of Joachim, and become an appendix of the Royal House somewhere in the countryside or similar.

And then it'll be a problem where to "place" the three younger children.

This haven't been an issue since the changeing of the constitution in 1954, where it was decided that only the decendants of Christian X could inherit the throne. This effectively limited the "real" royals into a very narrow group - of whom half remained childless (IIRC).

Now the generations soon begin to push at that boundary. While there's still plenty of houses, with the children of Mary and Frederik, we will likely need six households (Mary+Frederik, Joachim+Marie, Christian, Isabella, Vincent, Josephine).

Schackenborg is reserved for Joachim+Marie.

That leaves Amalienborg (that has four palaces, three of which is habitalbe IIRC), Gråsten, Fredensborg, Marseillesborg. And I suppose Sorgenfri.

That's a "full house" (although with a reserve of apartments at Amalienborg (at least).

Depending on what we would expect of the younger princes and princesses it may be necessary to purchase - or make available - further residences for future generations.

Of course, a solution á la Alexandra could be interrim or permanent for the more peripheral royals.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Courtier

Thanks for answering my questions, Muhler...really appreciate it

And I also love your speculation-riddled reply to nwinter's post too...you know I love a bit of speculation and fortunetelling...BUT another question...do you really think, say the twins or even Athena will be ALLOWED to live overseas? They still heirs to the throne, albeit 3rd (Vincent), 4th (Josephine), and 9th, (Athena) but heirs all the same, I also realise that they will move further down the ladder as Christian has children but really?...I really can't see that happening...The (unspoken) expectation is that the royal stays put and the spouse comes in...And Denmark is their home, where they grew up and what they are familiar with...Chances are with the opportunity of 'free accommodation and expenses' there is not much incentive to be self-sufficient

My allocation would be this:

F&M (while Regents) Amalienborg
Christian (newly married) Fredensborg, like his parents before him
Isabella (urban chic) apartments at Amalienborg
Vincent and Josephine (sharing with big sister) bachelor/bachelorette pad, Amalienborg, aka Party HQ circa 2032

Nikolai (decides to restore and modernise) Marselislborg
Felix (as second son gets) Schackenborg
Henrik and Athena (share) Graasten, because it is near where they grew up in Schackenborg

Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh, yes. No problem.
Benedikte married a German and settled in Germany. Her children don't live in DK.
Anne-Marie married a king, so no problem there either.

Interesting allocation of residencies.

However, it's very unlikely any of Joachim's children will take over and run any residence. They may very well live in a house on the estates but not in the palaces themselves.
It's an entirely different matter for Frederik's children, especially Christian. Since they are likely to have more official duties than Joachim's children (you never know, perhaps Athena turns out to have an exeptional talent for representation) it's also more likely and acceptable that they have a palace of their own.

If you look at Madeleine in Sweden, that's what I predict for some of the eight children. I.e. marrying and settleling abroad, only returning home for special occasions.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Courtier

OK, cool...thanks Muhler...I actually think Fred and Joachim have put a real spanner in the works by being so (re)productive...I think Margrethe may have had the foresight to only have two kids and then those two kids only having two kids would make for easy of distribution (of assets to the 4 grandkids) but with the birthrate ballooning out to EIGHT...Maybe they are struggling to comprehend their (the 8 kids) future role and placeand where to accommodate them in the Danish royal family...
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
My allocation would be this:
F&M (while Regents) Amalienborg
Christian (newly married) Fredensborg, like his parents before him
Isabella (urban chic) apartments at Amalienborg
Vincent and Josephine (sharing with big sister) bachelor/bachelorette pad, Amalienborg, aka Party HQ circa 2032
Nikolai (decides to restore and modernise) Marselislborg
Felix (as second son gets) Schackenborg
Henrik and Athena (share) Graasten, because it is near where they grew up in Schackenborg
That's speculation as good as it gets !

IMO the big question is the future use of Graasten Palace! Before Schakenborg returned to DRF ownership and in the times of Queen Ingrid, Graasten was the pivotal place in the special link between the Danish Royal Family and the population of Southern Jutland, who were under German rule 1864-1920. The Southern Jutes are said to be the most loyal and royalistic of the Danes, and Graasten has been perceived as an advanced royal stronghold, if you like. Besides, it was the summer rally point for Queen Ingrid's grand children!
Queen Margrethe dediced to keep the pot on a slow burner by gathering the family for two weeks during summer. But what will happen when she is no more?
There's also the mothballed Sorgenfri Palace north of Copenhagen. The main building is empty, but one of HM's cousins (Count Christian) is living in one of the buildings on the grounds. The fact that the RF hang on to it indicates, that it could come in handy later on.

Like other Danish posters I tend to believe that the children of Prince Joachim will be relegated to minor royalty ranks, perhaps with the exception of Prince Nikolai, the first born of the lot and apparently a smart kid! And except for Christian, IMO most of them will find careers and partners abroad.

viv
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Royal Highness

I very much doubt that Graasten will go to anyone else than Frederik and Mary and their children, it's very much a "summer residence" kind of thing for the family (along with Fredensborg and Cayx), and also I think it is a place that means a lot to Frederik considering how close to Queen Ingrid he was.

Queen Margrethe also once said (in a book about Aarhus, I believe) that she hoped that Frederik would continue to use Marselisborg, but again, that doesn't mean that Joachim's family can't use it. I do think I've heard something about it only being inheritable to the heir of the throne though.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Which of these residences are owned by the state and which are private property? If they are owned by the state how could QMII leave them to anyone?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Marselisborg and Trend are private. The rest are owned by the state.

The palaces are for the DRF to use as they please, so it's basically up to the head of the family i.e. the monarch to work out how.
The reason I don't believe anyone but the children of the monarch/heir will be allowed to settle in the palaces themselves is firstly not to establish a sense of ownership for anyone but the monarch to any palace but also to avoid say Vincent being evicted some time in the future: "Sorry, Vincent, we are running low on palaces and Christian needs room for his two sets of twins. So you have to pack up and move out".
But just as importantly, because apart form the 200 years during the period of Absolutism, the Danish kings were constantly on the move, living in castles and palaces all over the realm and thereby maintaining an affilliation with the whole country instead of just living in Copenhagen and only come visiting to the other parts of the country for a few hours.
It may sound like a trivial matter but locally it means a lot!

It was seriously considered buying back Marselisborg by Aarhus municipality because the DRF was rarely there. Now the locals are very pleased and dare I say a bit proud that QMII is so fond of the place.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Marselisborg and Trend are private. The rest are owned by the state.

Isn't Schacjkenborg also owned by Joachim?

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Isn't Schacjkenborg also owned by Joachim?
Yes, but Schackenborg is owned by Joachim and not the DRF. - I can only imagine the manor going to one of Frederik's children in the horrible eventuality that all Joachim's children die - or more likely none of them want to run Schackenborg.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

This thread is meant to discuss Danish royal residences, not to predict the future countries of residence of (royal) children. Those interested in discussing clairvoyance can go to this forum:
Main Forums - David Icke's Official Forums
Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Commoner

I don't remember which interview I read it in, I think it was the book published for the Jubilee, but Queen Margrethe very clearly stated that she intends to pass Graasten on to Frederik & Mary while she's still alive. So the only speculation regarding that residence is when Margrethe decides it's the right time to do it.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Serene Highness

Aren´t all of you forgetting that CP Frederik is getting Gråsten? :)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Aren´t all of you forgetting that CP Frederik is getting Gråsten? :)
You mean it's earmarked for his future use?? ! I plead guilty of ignorance, if that's been decided already! IIRC I read somewhere that Frederik will inherit Chateau de Cayx, which of course also serves as as a sort of back- up should Denmark ever become a republic.

It just leaves a rhetorical question: How many palaces are Fred and Mary going to take over and actually make use of, when their time comes?

viv
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
You mean it's earmarked for his future use?? ! I plead guilty of ignorance, if that's been decided already! IIRC I read somewhere that Frederik will inherit Chateau de Cayx, which of course also serves as as a sort of back- up should Denmark ever become a republic.

viv
Of course It´s earmarked for his future use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
It just leaves a rhetorical question: How many palaces are Fred and Mary going to take over and actually make use of, when their time comes?
Well, my guess is: Amalienborg, Fredensborg (whether it´s Kancellihuset or the main castle IDK), Marselisborg, Trend, Gråsten and Caïx.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is a 23 pic gallery from the bunker REGAN East: Se de fantastiske billeder: Her er atombunkeren i Nordsjælland | www.bt.dk

Located in a forest in Northern Zealand this was were the Regent Couple where to go in case of war or something similar... Certainly after REGAN West was closed down.

It is about to be closed down. The new REGAN bunker is located somewhere in central Jutland.
In the early 90's an artist was brought in to decorate the bunker, presumably for psycological reasons but if I was cooped up in a bunker like this the sight of these strong colors would seriously drive me nuts! - I think it's over the top. But then again, who knows? Perhaps the psycologist had a point. The mere thought is actually pretty chilling.

By the way, the text in pic #10 reads: You can also regret, that you regretted.
The text in pic #18 reads: Time does not go, it comes.

I lived in Aarhus towards the end of the Cold War and there the bunker containing the Navy Operational Command is located. And I remember agreeing with a friend that the most sensible thing to do, should the baloon go up, would be to buy a case of beer and go sit as close to the fence as possible and wait...
Old 09-28-2013, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

It sure is bright in that bunker with all those colours!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Let's go through the bunkers again, because it can be a bit confusing!

During the Cold War a large bunker was build in north central Jutland. That was called REGAN West. Here the Regent Couple were to go in case of an emergency, along with other key figures. Back then Frederik was just a child, so he would follow his parents.

Later on another bunker was build in Northern Zealand, called REGAN East. It was decided that the Regent Couple should go here, while Frederik (still unmarried) should go to another bunker located somewhere in central Jutland.
At the same time REGAN West was being shut down.

Now REGAN East is being shut down as well - but the bunker in central Jutland is still operational.
It is said to be located near the village of Finderup. Ironic, because Finderup is also the seat of the most well known assassination of a Danish King in history. - The Murder in Finderup Barn in 1286, where King Erik Klipping was murdered under circumstances that to this day is still hotly debated and very fascinating. But that's a story for another day.

And as a litte curiosum: Last year a large air raid shelter located very close to Schackenborg was put up for sale.

Underneat Christiansborg there is also a shelter, where some government ministers as well as MPs were to stay, protected mainly by a company from the Army Home Guard.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

Those bright colors are indeed interesting, are we sure prince Henrik wasnt involved in the design or the queen? : ) lol

I do like the trees around it, so pretty
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent

There doesn't appear to be a seperate thread for the hunting lodge in Trend.
Perhaps such tread should be created? - Since M&F spend time there three or four times a year.

If so I'll add a Google view and the usual background info.

Here are four pics of the hunting lodge from different angles.
As you can see it's located in the middle of a forest.

http://www.seoghoer.dk/Nyheder/Royal...BCAE06A09.ashx

http://www.aalestrupclassic.dk/image...en-2010-47.jpg

http://multimedia.ekstrabladet.dk/ar...6__561644m.jpg

http://i2-images3.tv2net.dk/s/56/224...965322c80.jpeg

ADDED: I checked on Google maps. Quite a few of the trees to the north and west of the lodge have been cut down. - That's what happens in forestry, new ones will grow up.

Tags
castles, danish royal history, danish royal palaces, denmark, palaces, residences