Danish Residences General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grasten, is it private or state owned? Is it used at all at the moment, apart for summer holidays for the entire RF?
Gråsten was acquired by the Danish state in 1920 - used for judicial/police business, and as a library until 1935 - when it was turned over as a summer residence to the Crown Prince and Princess (Frederik and Ingrid). It is maintained by the Palace and Property organization - unlike Marselisborg, so I would say that it is state owned.

Rosenborg is now mosly a museum I believe. It is state owned, but does the RF ever use it?
Margrethe use the palace for small parties and other arrangements from time to time - http://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/artikel/258390

Frederiksborg: is it state or private property and does the RF ever use it. If they don't what is happening there through the year?
Frederiksborg Castle houses the Danish National History Museum and is open to the public. As far as I know it isn't regularly in use by the royals.

The list above and the Ermitage Lodge are all the palaces that the family is using/can use at the moment or are there more?
They also use Christiansborg Palace for events such as the reception after Christian's christening.

Kronborg Castle in Helsingør is also used for various representation. Queen Ingrid used it when she threw Anne-Marie and Constantine's silver-wedding anniversary.

Royal Palaces in Denmark

Sorry if this is not the best forum to post this, but I am travelling to Copenhagen at the end of April and wondered if any posters could tell me what are the best Royal Palaces to visit. I cannot see them all but would like to see the best ones. I'm an avid reader of this forum & a royal fan. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Moderators please move this to the appropriate forum, if this is not the correct place for my post.

Sorry if this is not the best forum to post this, but I am travelling to Copenhagen at the end of April and wondered if any posters could tell me what are the best Royal Palaces to visit. I cannot see them all but would like to see the best ones. I'm an avid reader of this forum & a royal fan. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Moderators please move this to the appropriate forum, if this is not the correct place for my post.

You should make a tour through the Royal Receptions Rooms at Christiansborg and make an Visit to Rosenborg Castle. There is an Room about every King for the Oldenburg-Dynasty and there also are the Crown jewels on Display. Then make an Visit to the Amalieborg Museum where the studies of Christian IX., Frederik VIII., Christian X. and Frederik IX. are displayed. Sometimes there guided tours through parts of Amalienborg. I was there in Summer 2005 and made a guided tour throguh Christian VII. Palais. Then you should visist Roskilde Domkirke, the burial place of the danish Kings. And Frederiksborg Slot, Kronborg Slot. You can also go to Fredensborg but is only open in July for the public but you can got in the Park (but not the one closest to the Casdtle, it is only open in July).

I noted mstaier said the he/she couldn't see them all, sooo...

1. Amalienborg Palace

2. Christiansborg Palace

3. Rosenborg Castle

I noted mstaier said the he/she couldn't see them all, sooo...

1. Amalienborg Palace

2. Christiansborg Palace

3. Rosenborg Castle

Those three would be the top of my list too MR - especially Rosenborg. Even if it is just for the crown jewels :D:D:D

Thanks for the replies...this has helped me greatly and I will see the three as mentioned by JessRulz & Madam Royale
1. Amalienborg Palace

2. Christiansborg Palace

3. Rosenborg Castle

Thank you to Stefan as well for your detail. I will try and see one out of Copenhagen if I get time and my husband agrees!!!:)

Thanks for the replies...this has helped me greatly and I will see the three as mentioned by JessRulz & Madam Royale
1. Amalienborg Palace

2. Christiansborg Palace

3. Rosenborg Castle

Thank you to Stefan as well for your detail. I will try and see one out of Copenhagen if I get time and my husband agrees!!!:)
It really doesn't take all that long by train to Roskilde :whistling: It is a pleasant little town, the cathedral isn't all that far from the railway station, and I would say that the cathedral there really is worth a visit for someone interested in the Danish royal family/history.

It's worth to note that tickets to Rosenborg and Amalienborg Palace Museum can be bought so that one ticket covers both museums. :flowers:

When i was in Copenhagen i bought the Copenhagen Card which is avalible for 1 or 3 days. There you get often free entrance in some Attractions and sometimes you the Price reduced.

Other residencies and places connected to the DRF.

The hunting lodge in Trend.

Big overview. The lodge is located in the middle of a forest and yet close to a fjord:
Trend 2 copy - Kopi.jpg - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Closer view. Pretty undisturbed:
Trend, south of the town of Løgstør copy - Kopi.jpg - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

-----------------------

Gråsten Slot.
The summer meeting place for the family and where Queen Ingrid used to live.

A closer view. The whitish patch near the palace is a shallow lake:
http://www.box.net/shared/qurx5n1k3l

View of the palace and Gråsten town:
http://www.box.net/shared/c6i9mocn98

--------------------------

Frederiksborg Slot.
A beautiful castle where the coat of arms of the DRF are hanging.

The castle and the town of Frederiksborg:
http://www.box.net/shared/yljigc1k37

Closer view of the castle:
http://www.box.net/shared/xsqe43zx6r

Last edited:
I guess we can put this under residencies.

In Billed Bladet #18, 2011 a Lars B. Nielsen ask about the bunker reserved for the Monarch in times of war.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/Sporg%20Jon/Spoergsmaal%20og%20svar/2011/4/Blev%20der%20bygget%20en%20hemmelig%20atombunker%20til%20kongehuset.aspx

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that there indeed were two such bunkers, one may still be in use.
One bunker is located in Rold Forest in Northern Jutland and it's called REGAN VEST, which stands for REGeringsANlæg = Government facility West.
The other bunker is located in Northern Zealand.

- Apart from that Jon Bloch Skipper doesn't reveal more.
However the bunker and the purpose is now de-classified. During the so-called "grey period" prior to a full scale war, the DRF and a number of the most senior government ministers, and other key figures were to be transported to these bunkers and they were to stay there during a nuclear attack, or an invasion. In case of an invasion, the plan was to evacuate them as far as it was possible.
As it was expected that at least one of these bunkers would be knocked out neither the government nor the DRF were all placed in one bunker.
It was from here that Denmark would be governed in the aftermath of a nuclear war.

The Danish system was pretty identical to the British system, with a number of regional bunkers dotted all over the country. In these bunkers would be gathered a number of military and civillian key persons and regional politicians as well as government ministers.
In case of a nuclear war these regional commands would take control and excerzise what was basically dictatorial powers over the area.
I was in the Home Guard before joining the army again and in case of an invasion we were still under command of the general staff, but as everything was expected to break down after a nuclear war, we would as such be under the command of the local regional centre.
Our jobs were to maintain order, to search for wounded and perform triage both locally and at the interrim medical facillities and also to secure the regional centre and to ensure that commands from these centres were carried out. Another more morbid task was to deal with corpses. Geological surveys had already selected which areas were best suited for mass graves.

Last edited:
I guess we can put this under residencies.

In Billed Bladet #18, 2011 a Lars B. Nielsen ask about the bunker reserved for the Monarch in times of war.
Billed-Bladet - Blev der bygget en hemmelig atombunker til kongehuset?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that there indeed were two such bunkers, one may still be in use.
One bunker is located in Rold Forest in Northern Jutland and it's called REGAN VEST, which stands for REGeringsANlæg = Government facility West.
The other bunker is located in Northern Zealand.

- Apart from that Jon Bloch Skipper doesn't reveal more.
However the bunker and the purpose is now de-classified. During the so-called "grey period" prior to a full scale war, the DRF and a number of the most senior government ministers, and other key figures were to be transported to these bunkers and they were to stay there during a nuclear attack, or an invasion. In case of an invasion, the plan was to evacuate them as far as it was possible.
As it was expected that at least one of these bunkers would be knocked out neither the government nor the DRF were all placed in one bunker.
It was from here that Denmark would be governed in the aftermath of a nuclear war.

The Danish system was pretty identical to the British system, with a number of regional bunkers dotted all over the country. In these bunkers would be gathered a number of military and civillian key persons and regional politicians as well as government ministers.
In case of a nuclear war these regional commands would take control and excerzise what was basically dictatorial powers over the area.
I was in the Home Guard before joining the army again and in case of an invasion we were still under command of the general staff, but as everything was expected to break down after a nuclear war, we would as such be under the command of the local regional centre.
Our jobs were to maintain order, to search for wounded and perform triage both locally and at the interrim medical facillities and also to secure the regional centre and to ensure that commands from these centres were carried out. Another more morbid task was to deal with corpses. Geological surveys had already selected which areas were best suited for mass graves.

Nice story. Thnks for sharing...

The Royal Castles at Legoland

I know the dates at the photos says XX/XX/2010, but they are all taken in week 42 this year. I must have set the date wrong... :(

But here it goes: The royal residences at Legoland:

Schackenborg Manor:

Attachments

• Schackenborg1.jpg
    Schackenborg1.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 603
  • Schackenborg2.jpg
    Schackenborg2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 415
  • Schackenborg3.jpg
    Schackenborg3.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Gråsten Castle:

Attachments

• Gråsten4.jpg
    Gråsten4.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 416
  • Gråsten1.jpg
    Gråsten1.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Gråsten2.jpg
    Gråsten2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 405
  • Gråsten3.jpg
    Gråsten3.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Kronborg Castle:

The first two are taken from the boat ride and the last three on land:

Attachments

• Kronborg3.jpg
    Kronborg3.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 384
  • Kronborg4.jpg
    Kronborg4.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 401
  • Kronborg2.jpg
    Kronborg2.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 381
  • Kronborg1.jpg
    Kronborg1.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 406
  • Kronborg5.jpg
    Kronborg5.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
And the last ones, the CP Family at Kancellihuset. I don´t know why, but I didn´t take any photos of Fredensborg Castle...

The third photo is taken by one of the gardeners at Legoland, who was taking care of the trees at the exibitions :flowers:

Attachments

• Kancellihuset1.jpg
    Kancellihuset1.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 389
  • Kancellihuset2.jpg
    Kancellihuset2.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Kancellihuset3.jpg
    Kancellihuset3.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 461
  • Kancellihuset4.jpg
    Kancellihuset4.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Great.
Love the tiny details of the crownprince's family!

I found some photos from an earlier visit at Legoland :)
IIRC, then these photos are form 2007

Amalienborg Palace
939188609_bb329c455a.jpg

939185983_c957eb7a03.jpg

939143055_7aaec455d0.jpg

939994178_ca257ae0b7.jpg

Amaliehaven/ The Amalie Gardens
939183323_eff9b43a20_b.jpg

939180829_559922501e.jpg

939155801_d5c236d1b3.jpg

Fredensborg Slot
939122471_34992d2dc9.jpg

939115679_e90a55913a.jpg

Look, Ziggy is sitting in Christians pram :lol::lol::lol:
post-23-1185701157_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Lego Castles! They are very detailed!

Thanks, FasterB :)

So you were nephew-sitting during the autumn holiday?

Hope you had a nice trip.

Thanks, FasterB :)

So you were nephew-sitting during the autumn holiday?

Hope you had a nice trip.
How could you guess that? :whistling: My parents, nephew and I went to Legoland for two days and Givskud Zoo for one day in the autumn holiday :flowers:

And btw, I met a giraffe. The following photos are taken without zoom. I just called at the giraffe and then (s)he came :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzk.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzk.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 380
  • zzzzzzzzzzzj.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzj.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 333
Hope you said hello to Samson.
You may remember that he's an expat from Copenhagen. ;)

For foreign viewers...eeh, readers.
Samson is a gorilla. He became a household name in DK, in the 90's. - Not least after falling in love in a female reporter and masturbating while looking at her - on prime time TV.:lol:
After which, realising he couldn't get the reporter, lovely as she was, he proceeded to eat boogies out of his nose to console himself.

To this day I believe the reports from the zoo's in DK is among the best reality TV ever shown, and the participants, among them Samson, were among the most intelligent and endearing characters yet. - Whatever they did, it made a whole lot more sense than what most humans do.

You can actually find the infamous clip of Samson on YouTube.

- On another note. The Legoland view of M&F's private garden at Kancellihuset is probably the best we have. Even the swimming pool is very detailed.

Last edited:
Hope you said hello to Samson.
You may remember that he's an expat from Copenhagen. ;)
No, unfortunately I didn´t get the chance to say hello to Samson :sad: It was raining and my nephew couldn´t care less about Samson :lol:
So we took the Safaritour in car three times instead :ROFLMAO:

Btw. talking about animals that every dane knows... Do you remember Brutalis? :whistling::ROFLMAO::whistling:

- On another note. The Legoland view of M&F's private garden at Kancellihuset is probably the best we have. Even the swimming pool is very detailed.
I should have taken better photos of all the castles, but it was raining, hailing (kæmpe hagl) and I don´t know what both days we were in Legoland, so most of the time we stood inside or tried to a take a tour in an inside ride :)

Btw. talking about animals that every dane knows... Do you remember Brutalis? :whistling::ROFLMAO::whistling:

I sure do :lol: A rhino, who was in so many ways more human than the humans he was among.
Do you remember when the elephants had a hang-over and the vet at the zoo phoned the police to see if they could help him with a breathalizer test on the elephants?
(They did manage to get a test and the elephants were drunk).
That was at same time the royal elephants from Thailand moved in.

I sure do :lol: A rhino, who was in so many ways more human than the humans he was among.
Do you remember when the elephants had a hang-over and the vet at the zoo phoned the police to see if they could help him with a breathalizer test on the elephants?
(They did manage to get a test and the elephants were drunk).
That was at same time the royal elephants from Thailand moved in.
Oh yes, that was soooooo hilarious :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I wish that they would make a rerun of the series :flowers:

Such detail.........thanks for posting

FasterB said:
I found some photos from an earlier visit at Legoland :)
IIRC, then these photos are form 2007

Amalienborg Palace

Amaliehaven/ The Amalie Gardens

Fredensborg Slot

Look, Ziggy is sitting in Christians pram :lol::lol::lol:

WOW They look like the mini versions of the actual royal residence and it's hard to believe it's made of Lego :0

Why do I get the feeling that Denmark TV is better then American tv. I will have to look those up on youtube. Ok I have to ask why and how did the elephants get drunk.

Ok to stay on topic, those castles look very life like. Muhler or FasterB would you know how long it took the artists/builders to do that? If I ever get to Denmark that would have to be one of the places I go to.

Why do I get the feeling that Denmark TV is better then American tv. I will have to look those up on youtube. Ok I have to ask why and how did the elephants get drunk.

Ok to stay on topic, those castles look very life like. Muhler or FasterB would you know how long it took the artists/builders to do that? If I ever get to Denmark that would have to be one of the places I go to.

I don't know how long it took the builders (yes, they are really artists in their fireld, as you say) to plan and build the Lego-Kancellihus.
What they do is that they study the plans of the building, then thoroughly photograph it from every possible angle.
From that they start to figure out what kind of standard bricks they can use and to draw, mold and cast special bricks.
Then it's "only" a matter of putting the whole thing together with glue and place it in Legoland. - Viola!

The story with the elephants was hillarious.
It all started with the elephants acting a bit weird, when they were being hosed. One of them kicked his/her "play-bucket" around. The elephant always did that, but a good deal more enthusiastic this time! :dizzy:
Strange! As the other elephants were also extraordinarily merry the keepers wondered if their fodder, containing fruits had fermented. That couldn't be established right away, (the elephants had eathen the evidence) so the vet was called and the elephants looked decidedly intoxicated, but how to know for certain?
Got it! Call the police and ask them if they know how to perform an alcohol test on elephants.
I don't know how that conversation was but it must have been interesting!
Something akin to this perhaps
- The police.
- The is the vet from Copenhagen Zoo. I believe our elephants are intoxicated and I wonder if you can help us perform a breathalizer test?
(Silence).
- Hello? We would like to establish whether our elephants are drunk. - Hello? No, they are grey, not pink...
The vet in some way actually managed to persuade the police to borrow an alcometer and now came the tricky part. How to persuade an elephant to blow into the alcometer? An elephant with lungs as big as a cathedral, mind you.
They got hold of a big plastic bag for garbarge and the elephants breathed into that bag, after which they squeezed the bag, holding the alcometer close to the open hole.
The test was inconclusive however.
But the next day one of the elephants was filmed, litterally leaning against the wall, with the trunk hanging down limp. - And you almost see a speech-bobble over it's head saying: "Oh, my head, oh, my trunk"! :sick::headache:

I didn't leave anything out, did I FasterB?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom