The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
BT has more on Cayz and it's pretty interesting!

PH has previously spoken about Frederik inheriting Cayz, because Joachim already had an estate, but now it seems more open who will actually inherit Chateau Cayz. Frederik once he becomes king certainly won't have time to run Cayz as well!

- So will Cayz become a family business? with say a share for each of the grandchildren?
Perhaps with Joachim as manager, because he has the education, the experience and the contacts? - Not to mention that Cayz is close to our Marie's family.

Why he doesn't put in Joachim as a manager, but your guesses would be as good as mine.
Why woud Joachim have been a good manager? He didn't seem to do that well with Schackenborg?
And if the production and selling and marketing has been leased, there is no business anymore.
All that's left is a summer residence. Or am I wrong?

Joachim may not have an "estate" but he has private property, which Frederik doesn't have. I think it would be wise for him to have "security" too. Nobody knows what the future brings for the royal families.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Why woud Joachim have been a good manager? He didn't seem to do that well with Schackenborg?
And if the production and selling and marketing has been leased, there is no business anymore.
All that's left is a summer residence. Or am I wrong?

Joachim may not have an "estate" but he has private property, which Frederik doesn't have. I think it would be wise for him to have "security" too. Nobody knows what the future brings for the royal families.
Because Joachim did manage to modernize Schackenborg from a state where it was derelict to a functioning business. Of course that costs money, but he can't be completely inept, when we consider Joachim not having a big piggybank to support him.
Anyway, he will have learned a lot and unless he really is completely inept, he would be a natural choice as a manager.

FOLLOW UP: http://www.bt.dk/danmark/ekspert-der...riks-livsvaerk

There is an interesting point in this article.
Only 5 % of businesses are taken over by the child/ren of the owner. The most common reason being that the children don't have the skills or the interests. Another major fact is that the children have been discouraged by seeing the hard work put in by the parent, and don't want to go through that one themselves.
Another reason is that the children don't believe they can live up to the expectations of having living parent and former owner looking over their shoulder and commenting on what they do. I.e. it ruins the relationship.

- And in that respect and from what we know of PH's character, it is probably unlikely that he will mind his own business.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
There is an interesting point in this article.
Only 5 % of businesses are taken over by the child/ren of the owner.
It would be interesting to know whether or not the estates of the Danish nobles (godser, grevskaber osv.) are among the 5% or not
Old 04-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
It would be interesting to know whether or not the estates of the Danish nobles (godser, grevskaber osv.) are among the 5% or not
Many of these are de facto family-businesses, aren't they?
Old 04-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I actually don´t know, but they too have generation-change, so...
Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Because Joachim did manage to modernize Schackenborg from a state where it was derelict to a functioning business. Of course that costs money, but he can't be completely inept, when we consider Joachim not having a big piggybank to support him.
Anyway, he will have learned a lot and unless he really is completely inept, he would be a natural choice as a manager.

FOLLOW UP: Ekspert: Derfor vil Joachim og Frederik ikke overtage Henriks livsværk - Danmark | www.bt.dk
A functioning business indeed.
When it comes to Joachim you really have your pink glasses on, haven't you?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:

In Sweden with the end of the entailed estate system many of the properties was transformed into a kind of joint-stock company where generation changes aren't as apparent as in private property. I know the landholdings of the nobility is somewhat different in Swe & Dk (in Sweden there's still entails on dispensation from the government and the nobility still controls a major part of the landholdings) but could it in this aspect be similar so generation changes aren't that visible?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
A functioning business indeed.
When it comes to Joachim you really have your pink glasses on, haven't you?
Debt is not the same thing as a badly run business.
It takes money to earn money.
Otherwise most businesses are ineptly led.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

It appears that Prince Henrik is making a very solid business decision to sell the grapes to a co-op. Many wineries and vineyards in Europe and US sell their harvest to larger organizations who in turn produce wine in larger quantities and one would hope with a better economy of scale. I am sure they will keep the estate for a family vacation retreat. They have eight grand children so the place will soon be filled with teenagers and young adults with their friends and eventually their own families.

A shrewd business decision by Prince Henrik. Even if Prince Joachim would have been interested in running the business, due to the small scale of the property and production it would never be anything other than a hobby. But a hobby that would require lots of someones time yet with questionable financial rewards.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Majesty

A few more details are emerging today in BT: Prins Joachim til BT: Derfor har jeg aldrig overvejet at overtage fars vinproduktion - Royale | www.bt.dk

Joachim, who visited the town of Tønder today was asked about whether he had considered taking over the wine-production at Cayz.
Joachim replied: "Without revealing any state secrets I can tell that the Crown Prince and I have been involved in the decision. And nothing has been done without informing us".

Has Joachim considered expanding into wine production himself, especially when living at Schackenborg?
J: "I have never considered that. Partly there is the geographical distance between Denmark and France, which would make it difficult to look after both productions and if the circumstances are not optimal, then it's not the right thing to do. But having said that, I think wine production is interesting and it isn't completely alien to me".
Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Majesty

The Cayz saga continues Prins Henriks bror ærgrer sig: Joachim ville være en oplagt vinbonde - Royale | www.bt.dk

Now it's apparently Joachim's fault.

PH's brother Etienne de montpezat has spoken to the press and said: "I have neither spoken with Frederik nor Joachim, but I am a little surprised.
I don't know why they are not keen on wine production. It does seem to me that Joachim and his wife Marie are very fond of France, the nature and life in the countryside, so it would be obvious that he would manage Cayx".
But perhaps they are too busy in DK and he adds: "They are fond of coming here, is my impression. We see Joachim each summer and we have a lot to do with them. It seems like he is very fond of the country, our region and the wine, so I am a little surprised".
Old 04-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The Cayz saga continues Prins Henriks bror ærgrer sig: Joachim ville være en oplagt vinbonde - Royale | www.bt.dk

Now it's apparently Joachim's fault.

PH's brother Etienne de montpezat has spoken to the press and said: "I have neither spoken with Frederik nor Joachim, but I am a little surprised.
I don't know why they are not keen on wine production. It does seem to me that Joachim and his wife Marie are very fond of France, the nature and life in the countryside, so it would be obvious that he would manage Cayx".
But perhaps they are too busy in DK and he adds: "They are fond of coming here, is my impression. We see Joachim each summer and we have a lot to do with them. It seems like he is very fond of the country, our region and the wine, so I am a little surprised".
Unless Margrethe and Henrik still plan on leaving Cayx to Frederik, ( which, as an outsider, would seem fair to me, given how much money and effort they supposedly put in to setting up Schackenborg for Joachim). Then it would make no sense for Joachim to take over running the place.

i think if Joachim had the interest and/or talent it takes to run an estate he would still be running Schackenborg. So Uncle Etienne's idea that he should do that again.. except now with wine!! .. doesn't seem too logical.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Unless Margrethe and Henrik still plan on leaving Cayx to Frederik, ( which, as an outsider, would seem fair to me, given how much money and effort they supposedly put in to setting up Schackenborg for Joachim). Then it would make no sense for Joachim to take over running the place.

i think if Joachim had the interest and/or talent it takes to run an estate he would still be running Schackenborg. So Uncle Etienne's idea that he should do that again.. except now with wine!! .. doesn't seem too logical.
That is a good point.
All the money and effort for Schackenborg for Joachim and the all that money and effort fo Cayx for Joachim again, would be a little bit off.

the decision to lease it makes sense for both sons and grandkids