The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Nobility

Why do royal families have personal properties - in their own countries and abroad? (real state, jewels, works of art). Because they are wise. What would happen if the Danish decide to abolish the monarchy? Frederik should have means to support himself despite eventual compensation offered by the State. The abolisment of the monarchy in Denmark is very much unlikely to happen in our life time but not an impossible event. Royal know much better than us that History repeats itself and that you should not put all your eggs in the same basket.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Nobility

Some Photos of Interior of Chateau de Caix

Hi Again Everyone,

About a year ago I described these photos in a post earlier in this thread.

I've just learnt - !!! - how to scan and attach them.

They were published in a magazine fifteen years ago, that I had put aside for some other reason - now forgotten - and came across when I started a clean out last November.

I thought it should be okay to share them, as there is a thread regarding CP Mary on magazine covers - current magazines.

I know I was interested in the interior of this building when we all saw the summer holiday photos of CP Mary and family, with the twins as little babies, on the outside terrace the year they were born. (This was before I rediscovered this magazine in my cupboard - bit funny to think I had an eight page article, not found until months later.)

This first photo is of the hall. It had been bricked up at some stage, and then rediscovered when the Chateau was restored.

The obelisk on the table is a model of one standing in the grounds that was presented to Prince Henrik on his 60th birthday.

Cheers Sun Lion.

P.S. - I'll be back with more.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 1

Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I have spend 3 holidays near the Chateau. It is the most beautiful countryside - it is set in a wide valley of a winding river with high land around it. Truly wonderful place to visit.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I have spend 3 holidays near the Chateau. It is the most beautiful countryside - it is set in a wide valley of a winding river with high land around it. Truly wonderful place to visit.
Hi cepe,

I remember a post from you earlier in this thread saying you had been in this area - have you called in yet to buy any wine from the shop there?

Cheers, Sun Lion.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

To be honest, I dont like Cahors wine. I'm sure the fault is mine.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Nobility

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 2

This second photo is of the two-storey great hall with gallery - (see the model ships suspended at the top).

This was the solution to a major ceiling collapse during the restoration - creating the gallery.

Also note the Oriental touches everywhere throughout the different rooms - and the animal hide on the lounge/settee.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 3

This third photo is of Prince Henrik's study, which was formerly the kitchen.

The fabrics are French and the furniture is Danish.

The tapestry is by a Danish artist, Agnes Slott-Moller.

(This room also has an animal hide on the floor - to the right in the photo.)

Sun Lion.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 4
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 5

The fifth photo is of one of the bathrooms that were placed in the towers of the Chateau, by the Royal Couple, during the restoration.

The mirror was a gift from Queen Margrethe to Prince Henrik during a trip to the Far East.

Sun Lion.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 6
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 7

The fouth photo is of the "White Room".

The paintings on the wall are by the Queen herself, and the mirror was made by Prince Henrik from an old frame.

Animal hides on the lounge and floor.

(Another photo has Prince Henrik standing on the other side of this room, by the look of it, and the hide on the floor is from a large, fluffy brown bear.)

Sun Lion.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 8
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 9

The wall plaque, in the sixth photo, which was a gift, is placed above the winery, which is built into a cliff below the Chateau.

The text is in Latin and reads - "The Queen and the Prince undertook this restoration thinking of those who lived and built here before".

Sun Lion.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 10
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 11
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image Photo 12

The seventh photo is of the dining area.

The Queen designed the fabric, incorporating her and Prince Henrik's monograms, and it was then woven in India.

The light fitting seems to be of a crown.

This is the other end of the two-storey great hall, the above second photo.

These Oriental temple vases, candlesticks and censer, in the eighth photo, where among the earliest things the Royal Couple bought together.

The Chinese silk wall hanging has been in the Prince's family for generations.

Miniatures of the Queen, her husband and her two sons hang by this doorway, in the ninth photo

How do you like the creepy crawlies in the tenth photo - the Queen doesn't - they're from Malaysia.

That is an arrow slit, from the olden days of the Chateau, in the wall.

This is in one of the bathrooms.

A piece of furniture the Queen loves, in the eleventh photo.

(I've mis-labelled this photo "Danish Furniture, but it is actually based on a design by an Austrian architect, Joseph Franck.)

And the little "Temple of Love", where the Royal Couple often enjoy their after-dinner coffee, in the moonlight, in the last photo.

(And yes, that is a cannon sitting in the temple. Remember the other cannons we've seen in photos of the terrace. No tresspassing or else!)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. Being kicked off the computer again by a busy husband, so see you all sometime later.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Courtier

Thank you Sun Lion, that is one very beautiful place to be.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Royal Highness

the place is beautiful. thank you Sun Lion for sharing
Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Sun Lion.

Don't be too harsh on yourself, Cepe.
It may not be wholly unjustified that PH's wine in DK is also known as Chateau de Rævepis = Chateau de Fox Piss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
To be honest, I dont like Cahors wine. I'm sure the fault is mine.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Wonderful photos thank you so much for sharing. We should all have a clean out now & again and hopefully find these sort of treasures. They scanned really well too.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Courtier

So nice to see pictures of the inside............thank you