Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
Amalienborg Palace

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q79/MaryMessageBoard/Palaces/org.jpg

Amalienborg Palace is the winter residence of the Danish monarch.
The Palace consists of four palaces planned around an octagonal courtyard, in the centre which stands an equestrian statue of Frederik V (founder of Amalienborg Palace).
The Palace was constructed on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the coronation of the first King of the House of Oldenborg, Christian I. The four palaces were designed by Nicolai Eigtved, the court architect.
The four palaces are:
Christian VII's Palace (originally called Moltke's Palace)
Christian VIII's Palace (originally known as Levetzau's Palace)
Frederik VIII's Palace (originally known as Brockdorff's Palace)
Christian IX's Palace (originally known as Schack's Palace)​

----
www.ibl.se - Amalienborg, Christian 8. Palais - 20030521 Copenhagen, Denmark - Christian 8. Palais at Amalienborg Castle, Denmarks crownprince Frederik private home. Photo: Steen Brogaard / Colourpress

www.ibl.se - Amalienborg, Christian 8. Palais - 20030521 Copenhagen, Denmark - Christian 8. Palais at Amalienborg Castle, Denmarks crownprince Frederik private home. Photo: Steen Brogaard / Colourpress

Attachments

• Amalienborg007_a.jpg
    Amalienborg007_a.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 4,601
  • Amalienborg006_b.jpg
    Amalienborg006_b.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 4,143
Last edited by a moderator:
www.ibl.se - Amalienborg, Christian 8. Palais - 20030521 Copenhagen, Denmark - Christian 8. Palais at Amalienborg Castle, Denmarks Crownprince Frederik private home. Photo: Steen Brogaard / Colourpress

Check out the painting in the background. Isn't that Frederik?

www.ibl.se - Amalienborg, Christian 8. Palais - 20030521 Copenhagen, Denmark - Christian 8. Palais at Amalienborg Castle, Denmarks Crown Prince Frederik private home. Photo: Steen Brogaard / Colourpress

www.ibl.se - Amalienborg, Christian 8. Palais - 20030521 Copenhagen, Denmark - Christian 8. Palais at Amalienborg Castle, Denmarks Crownprince Frederik private home. Photo: Steen Brogaard / Colourpress

The famous staircase - the site of many royal photos!

Attachments

• Amalienborg005_c.jpg
    Amalienborg005_c.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 4,152
  • Amalienborg004_d.jpg
    Amalienborg004_d.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 4,155
  • Amalienborg003_e.jpg
    Amalienborg003_e.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 4,077
  • Amalienborg002_f.jpg
    Amalienborg002_f.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 4,391
  • Amalienborg001_g.jpg
    Amalienborg001_g.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 4,758
Thank you too Alexandria. I love to see pictures like this. They say so much more about royal than anything else ever can. Look at the majestic staircase, the wonderful parquet floors, the life size portrait of CP Frederick (is that narcissistic or does that term not apply to royals?), and the sheer size of the rooms. Wonderful.

He has a perfect private home. It's really nice, I mean it doesn't need to be that full of things "gold" just to look elegant though.

1. Amalienborg Palace - official residence of Queen Margrethe II

2. another pic

3. Knights Hall in Amalienborg Palace

4. another picture

5. Chinese Lounge at Amalienborg Palace
A newly restored Boucher Gobelin tapestries hangs on the wall of the Chinese Lounge in the Amalienborg Palace. Woven from wool and silk in 1754, the tapestry was owned by King Louis XV of France. Copenhagen, Denmark.

6. ;)

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 823
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 790
  • A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,095
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 857
  • Chinese.jpg
    Chinese.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,190
  • horse.jpg
    horse.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 3,746
Amalienborg Palace is the home of Queen Margrethe II and the Prince Henrik.
Amalienborg Palace is a major piece of Danish architecture and commonly regarded as the finest Danish example of rococo architecture. It comprises four palaces, all of which are identical from the outside, but different inside.

It was built in commemoration of the Oldenburg royal family's 300-year reign in 1749. From the outset, it was conceived as town mansions for four noblemen and their families. The Palace consists of Christian VII's Mansion, Christian VIII's Mansion, Frederik VIII's Mansion and Christian IX's Mansion. The mansions surround an octagonal area, with Saly's equestrian statue of Frederik V in the middle. The royal family resides at Christian IX's Mansion

Attachments

• Ama.jpg
    Ama.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3,688
"Amalienborg Palace"

I heard 4 buildings make up the complex known as "Amalienborg Palace". And what is it, 2 or 3 of these buildings are separate palaces? and 1 or 2 are used for government functions?

Too bad there aren't aerial shots of the other palaces, like there is for Schackenborg (and one or two others)?

Coppyright Imagien scandinavia / Henrik Hildebrandt / 10045 / Amalienborg and Christian VIII.s Palace where Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson will live when it has been restored.

Attachments

• 29_Amalienborg_Frederik_1.jpg
    29_Amalienborg_Frederik_1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,625
http://kongehuset.dk

Amalienborg Palaces

Amalienborg is the monarch’s winter residence. It consists of four palaces set around a central octagon in the centre of which is the equestrian statue of Frederik V, the founder of both Amalienborg and the surrounding suburb of Frederiksstaden.

The palaces were originally constructed at the request of King Frederik V as part of the celebrations for the 300th anniversary of the coronation of Christian I, which marked the beginning of the Oldenborg dynasty. The plots for the four palaces were given free of charge to four prominent and wealthy noblemen on condition they agreed to build identical palaces, to the precise specifications and designs of the Royal Architect Nicolai Eigtved.

Amalienborg became the residence of the Royal Family after Christiansborg Castle burnt to the ground on the night of 26 February 1794. Within a few days, however, the King acquired both the Moltke and Schack Palaces. Amalienborg has been the Royal Residence ever since and all monarchs have lived in one or other of the four palaces.

Today the palaces are occupied as follows:

Christian VII’s Palace: Palace used by HM The Queen for official functions.
Christian VIII’s Palace: Residence of HRH The Crown Prince. The ground floor houses the Amalienborg Museum, which is part of The Royal Danish Collection.
Frederik VIII’s Palace: Former residence of HM Queen Ingrid who died in 2000.
Christian IX’s Palace: Residence of HM The Queen and HRH the Prince Consort.

1. 2. Amalienborg Palace (Amalienborg Slot), the royal residence in Copenhagen, Denmark.
3. Showing Statue of Frederik V on horseback and the Marmorkirken (Marble Church), officially known as the 'Frederikskirken', in the background.
4. Statue of Frederik V on horseback in the centre of Amalienborg Palace (Amalienborg Slot.
5. Another view of the Palace and statue.
6. Palace.
7. 8. View of Amalienborg Palace (Amalienborg Slot), the royal residence in Copenhagen.
9. 10. 5. Guards outside the Palace.
UPPA Pictures

Attachments

• Amalienborg 01.JPG
    Amalienborg 01.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Amalienborg 02.JPG
    Amalienborg 02.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,559
  • Amalienborg 03.JPG
    Amalienborg 03.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,639
  • Amalienborg 04.JPG
    Amalienborg 04.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 896
  • Amalienborg 05.JPG
    Amalienborg 05.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,784
  • Amalienborg 06.JPG
    Amalienborg 06.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,596
  • Amalienborg 07.JPG
    Amalienborg 07.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,332
  • Amalienborg 08.JPG
    Amalienborg 08.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,900
  • Amalienborg 09.JPG
    Amalienborg 09.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 888
  • Amalienborg 10.JPG
    Amalienborg 10.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,019
pics from google.earth of amalieborg

Attachments

• amalieborg.jpg
    amalieborg.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 918
Alexandria said:
Coppyright Imagien scandinavia / Henrik Hildebrandt / 10045 / Amalienborg and Christian VIII.s Palace where Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson will live when it has been restored.

So the Royal couple will move into Amalienborg once it has been restored thus leaving Fredensborg as a permanent residence or did you mean that they wil move in when Frederik becomes King?

GlitteringTiaras said:
So the Royal couple will move into Amalienborg once it has been restored thus leaving Fredensborg as a permanent residence or did you mean that they wil move in when Frederik becomes King?
I expect it will be so that they do as Queen Margrethe does, use the Amalienborg flat for parts of the year, and then live at Fredensborg and other castles for some of the year.

norwegianne said:
I expect it will be so that they do as Queen Margrethe does, use the Amalienborg flat for parts of the year, and then live at Fredensborg and other castles for some of the year.

I think you are rigth in that :)

Frederik and Mary are moving to Amalienborg Castle as their residence. But now comes alarming reports that the building is in a very bad shape and needs restaurations for some 60 millions danish crowns acording to architects. Minister of finance is applying for the money needed from the Parliament

http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=430944/

Oh, that's bad
But Why did they wait for all that time to restauration?:(
non-sense

Interesting. What is considered "very bad shape" for living to Fredrik and Mary is probably more than suitable for any normal person. It always makes me wonder whether or not all these elaborate and expensive "renovations" are really necessary, and worth the taxpayers' money.

The Swedish king wants millions of Swedish crowns to renovate his residence, so that he can have a "better view."

According to the article the very foundation of the home is in a terrible state. Royalty or commoner, no one should live in a place that has the extensive damage that the palace has.

But being royalty of course they can live in a luxurious place like their current residence at Chancellory House.;)

Yes, no one really should be allowed to live under such conditions, but the issue is that if they decide to renovate the palace, it will most likely come from taxpayers. Whereas a commoner would have to pay from their own pocket. However they have other beautiful estates where they can go live for now.

Amalienborg is owned by the Danish state and is only at the disposal of the royal family who is representing the state.
(I believe the same goes for the Swedish castle/royal family.)

Therefore it's of course the Danish state (=the Danish taxpayers) who has to pay for the restauraton.
And that is why the Minister of Finance is applying for the money needed from the Parliament and not the Queen.:)

This beautiful castle is cultural heritage and I think it's a shame they waited with the restauration until the fundament is in a terrible state.

Btw, this information is not new.
I read exactly the same thing around the time of the wedding, almost two years ago now.
(F&M moving into the Chancellory House until the restauration is finished...)
I wonder why they waisted another two years.

I'm glad that the government appears to be addressing the problem of the ageing palace. I believe the problems are not simply a refit, but taking care of ageing woodwork, roof etc. I recall seeing photos from the time of their engagement showing windows where the paintwork was very old and worn leaving deep weather lines in the wood.
As the palace is part of all Denmark's heritage, it stands to reason that the work should be carried out.

SarahLindeau said:
Interesting. What is considered "very bad shape" for living to Fredrik and Mary is probably more than suitable for any normal person. It always makes me wonder whether or not all these elaborate and expensive "renovations" are really necessary, and worth the taxpayers' money.

The Swedish king wants millions of Swedish crowns to renovate his residence, so that he can have a "better view."
This restoration is more than necessary - there seems to be dry rot in the woodwork and there can be no doubt that the restoration work just has to be carried out.

When princess Margrethe and prince Henrik were to take up residence in the Palais Christian IX (a part of Amalienborg Palace) that too needed renovation - pictures from back then show how dry rot had ruined most of the stucco from the 18. century. When the similar Palais Christian VII was renovated in the 90 it too had serious dry rot problems in the stucco and panels.

Does anybody have pictures of the newly restored palace? Interior and exterior?:)

Has a moderns Princess doesn't she prefer to live in an Apartment?

marezdote said:
Here are some sites I found that have pictures and info on Amalienborg.

http://www.copenhagenpictures.dk/amalborg.html
When the site claims that the bear hats on the guards are always worn - it is quite mistaken. These hot summer days, the guards are wearing lighter hats in blue, more like caps. (I biked across the palace square today;))

A recent expose in Ekstra Bladet was about how Mary's (note how it is Mary and not Frederik...) renovation of their palace, ended up with 40 bathrooms.

I didn't stop to buy it, so that I could read the article, but I was reminded of the renovation of the Norwegian Palace - when Queen Sonja was vilified for spending too much money - and King Harald escaped with little critique at all.

I think a common denominator in these recent renovation cases is that the palaces simply haven't been maintained well enough, during the royals' stay there, and when the royals move in as a crown prince couple, and live there until they die, as in the case of Queen Ingrid, of course it is going to need renovations afterwards.

Well if it needs to be done, then it needs to be done.

Obviously they, whomever that may be, waited far too long and as a result the palace is in horrible condition thus costing a lot of money to upgrade the place.

40 bathrooms?! Huh. I don't believe it.

:)

The renovations are probably needed to upgrade the security of the castle. Since the couple will probably entertain government officials and foreign dignataries at the castle, renovations will be needed for that.

Mary will be the focus of any criticism because she will be the one turning a castle into a home for her family.

GlitteringTiaras said:
Well if it needs to be done, then it needs to be done.

Obviously they, whomever that may be, waited far too long and as a result the palace is in horrible condition thus costing a lot of money to upgrade the place.

40 bathrooms?! Huh. I don't believe it.

:)

The part of Amalienborg where Frederik and Mary will live in future is the Frederik VIII. Palais which was the residence of King Frederik IX. and Queen Ingrid, who lived there until her death in November 2000. The last Renovation was in 1935 when it was renovated for Frederik and Ingrid before they moved in. But it will take probably until 2009 until the renovations are ready.
There are 3 other Palaces: Christian IX. Palais: Residence of Queen Margrethe II. and Prince Henrik during the Winter.
Christian VII. Palais: used for housing of State-Guests and Banquets
Christian VIII. Palais: on the ground floor there is the Amalienborg Museum and in then there are Appartements for Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte when the stay in Copenhagen. Until 2004 Crown Prince Frederik had also an Appartement in the Palais.

Back
Top Bottom