Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a mess, the lovely palace looks quite awful, the mix between old and new is tasteless.

I didn't like either the mix between old things and new ones...

Last edited:
the new paintings definitely contrast a bit too much with the palace, it's true. however, they are just paintings and the structure of the palace hasn't been modified appart from the implementation of the wall, so in case other generations want to come back to its original state, i believe it would be possible.

the original bits look gorgeous though, i'm not sure what their state was when they started, but it seems that they have done a great job in the restauration.

i'm not a fan of some of the paintings but i think the children's room and the hall by olafur eliasson look great!

It's looks like a cheap makeover

It's always very delicate to introduce modernity in old homes like this. Being not a big fan of contemporary art, i think, however, they did a great job! Color shemes are very interesting, quite fresh, and we can see that they made a clear difference btw state rooms (quite conventional, yet modern, colors) and more private quarters (with more "adventurous" paintjob).
The whole palace reflects perfectly the young and dynamic CP couple, and after all the building is not a museum but trully a living home! All is a matter of taste of course ... but it's fun, quite chic, and it shakes the more conservative sensibilities so i must say i like it!

i'm not a fan of some of the paintings but i think the children's room and the hall by olafur eliasson look great!

I thought the one with the animals was one of the children's rooms too at first, but it's acutally the kitchen. The sink is visible in the picture, and the link with the layout states which painting is in which room. I can't understand why they would put that in the kitchen. To remind them of the next hunting season?

I saw the floor plan but i do not see bathroom or bedrooms?

I saw the floor plan but i do not see bathroom or bedrooms?

Only the official rooms and State Rooms where shown and only those are open to the public.

Thanks for the link guys!
I don't like the contemporary art that was added to walls/ceilings...I feel like it should all be kept much the same as it was originally. Some of those colors are BRIGHT! But everyone has a right to decide what they want in their own home, more power to them!

I didn't like either the mix between old things and new ones...
I would have to agree with some of you. This mix of original and new is not a good one. And I'm quite confused about the floors. Are they not finished yet or they going to leave them looking unfinished?

I thought the one with the animals was one of the children's rooms too at first, but it's acutally the kitchen. The sink is visible in the picture, and the link with the layout states which painting is in which room. I can't understand why they would put that in the kitchen. To remind them of the next hunting season?

I've watched the video, but don't understand Danish, so now I'm wondering if the room with the sink is not a kitchen (or children's room as I originally thought) but a staging area for serving food in a formal dining room -- kind of a butler's pantry but larger, since the real kitchen is probably on a different floor altogether.

I, too am not appreciating the addition of modern art. It's very hard to tell the palace from a museum without seeing furniture in the rooms. Right now, it looks far from a home. It's certainly not the Louvre! ;)

If the crown prince couple ever allow photos of the building after they've settled in, I'd be much more interested in that.

I would have to agree with some of you. This mix of original and new is not a good one. And I'm quite confused about the floors. Are they not finished yet or they going to leave them looking unfinished?

They do look unfinished. Perhaps they are waxed but unvarnished to preserve a more natural look. Or (more likely) waiting to finish the public viewing before final varnish.

Is this the result, if we only listen to artists and designers, but not to our own feelings?

No. The Crown Prince Couple were fully involved in the renovation process. They chose the artists and gave the final approval of the artists' work before they were incorporated into the palace renovations. They actually rejected the artwork of a particular artist and he's working on a new one for the couple.
Google Translate

Furthermore, there will be a documentary hosted by the Crown Prince Couple on Wednesday about the renovation process.
Google Translate

Many more photos from http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/editorial/all/quick-search.html?page=1
Put in "Amalienborg" in the top left hand corner and click on the search button if the photos do not automatically come up.

It's always very delicate to introduce modernity in old homes like this. Being not a big fan of contemporary art, i think, however, they did a great job! Color shemes are very interesting, quite fresh, and we can see that they made a clear difference btw state rooms (quite conventional, yet modern, colors) and more private quarters (with more "adventurous" paintjob).
The whole palace reflects perfectly the young and dynamic CP couple, and after all the building is not a museum but trully a living home! All is a matter of taste of course ... but it's fun, quite chic, and it shakes the more conservative sensibilities so i must say i like it!

I agree with you. A few of the walls are not to my taste at all, but I'm not living there:) I do like the mix of old and new, and it shows their preference. I think for the most part it's beautiful.

This is many years down the line, but will this be Christian's home when he's an adult? How does that work?

Just splendid!!! The Hall, Wintergarden room, Dining Room (my personal favourite), Reading and Muisc lounge and Green Hall would have to be the loveliest room's in the Palace. Elegantly restored, very tasteful and nothing short of charming. I'm sure it will all come together when the furnishings are brought in. It's a bare space atm so it's no wonder it may seem perculiar to some.

The room that could be mistaken as a children's room, is actually a Serving Kitchen.

The artwork in the Vistuble reflects the Kingdom of Denmark and the Danish Commonwealth. Furthermore, it honours the Crown Princess, with a large depiction of the state of Tasmania and the Australian mainland. A world map also features but on a 'smaller' scale.

I'm liking the contemporary influence very much. Every inch a 21st century palatial residence.

I really look at the photos and video and i feel like most of the people here I don't like the mix of the contemporary, but of course it is with the taste of the people who lives there if they like it good for them,, still a mistery for me this room kitchen or what? with this 2 big marble ? islands? what it is underneath ?cabinets? and this look steinles steel rectangulars on top of the island? the floors what is going on there? or they will do it when the exibition finish so the people walking along does nt ruin the floor? still i would love to see furnished and to see bathrooms, kitchen and Mary's closet!

Amalienborg

I think the renovation is very special, a fantastic mix of modern and old. The serving kitchen is not of marble I guess, it is made of plain wood like the floors, they are increadibly beautiful. In the northern countries they often use the plain wood for floors which I think gives the rooms a very natural and cosy athmosphere. Of course it would be nice to see the private rooms too but I can understand they do not want everybody to see them - I would not like it either.

Is this the result, if we only listen to artists and designers, but not to our own feelings?
I could not disagree more with you.
I think this palace reflects very much the CP Couple's feelings, taste and image. Modern and traditional at the same time. Daring Choices. Adding something totally new but keeping the old elements which deserve to be kept. Royal splendour with a very intimate touch.
And the choice of colour in the upper floor definitely reflects Mary with her fondness of subdued colours, whereas the ground floor reflects Frederik's fondness of strong colours.
I don't like every painting or wall colour but I do think that the outcome is indeed very special and original.

The floors are actually typical for Scandinavian palaces and also for the epoque this palace was built in (18th Century/Empire). And I guess they will be covered with carpets.

I was so happy when I saw the pictures from the renovation! While I may not have chosen all the artists for my personal taste, I am in awe of this mix of keeping traditions - the formal state rooms which have been so beautifully restored to former glory - and introducing contemporay art, modernism, in a several hundred years old building. I just love it :flowers:
In my view, it is in keeping with the best traditions of cooperation between artists and the royal house.

Restoration and innovation - who could ask for more?

Berlingske Tidende has a very favourable review of the end result. They are rarely this enthusiastic, but the commentators claim that the result has way surpassed their expections and hope for the renovation process.

I'm sure the combination of old royal splendour and modern art - this type of modern art - isn't to everyones liking. I just love it, not everything but most of it. Especially the work of Kaspar Bonnen - just perfect fitting new painting into a royal room. And Jesper Christiansen - what an adventure for the eyes - and not just for them - LOL. The danish CP couple is gutsy, they didn't play it save.

Samtidskunst indsat i historiske rammer på Amalienborg - Realdania

Google Translate

I agree...It does look a bit...Oh dear...And from what I understand, these are not the private rooms but the public once...?

i can understand Fred have something modern he probably is tired of all the classic or rocco of a palace, even it is not my taste the moder part i admire them for doing what they like!

I was so happy when I saw the pictures from the renovation! While I may not have chosen all the artists for my personal taste, I am in awe of this mix of keeping traditions - the formal state rooms which have been so beautifully restored to former glory - and introducing contemporay art, modernism, in a several hundred years old building. I just love it :flowers:
In my view, it is in keeping with the best traditions of cooperation between artists and the royal house.

Restoration and innovation - who could ask for more?

I entirely, concur. The more I view the pictures the more I fall in love with the end (or near enough) result. What I'd really like to see are photo's after the furniture is moved in. Now that would be a sight to behold!

i can understand Fred have something modern he probably is tired of all the classic or rocco of a palace, even it is not my taste the moder part i admire them for doing what they like!

Precisely :)
Even my non-royalist architecture husband just loves the result. He saw the room with the dark/black walls on TV and said it looked simply magnificient.

If they wanted to go modern I would have had to objection what they did in their private quarters.................but they did this in the very public areas where they will entertain foreign diplomats, etc ...
pop-art (Beetles, etc) paintings are way out of place in the traditional rooms.
Although everyone knows she is from Tasmania she is "now" a princess of Denmark....I loathed that painting (I think it was in black) with the map showing her home country...
I loved the floors and the otheer "traditional" rooms

If they wanted to bring in "modern art" it should have been in picture form, and could be rotated to give many many artists coverage

I'm sorry if my comments make some of you mad, this is just my own opinion..........and I am glad my tax money didn't go for this . Denmark
's culture should have been respected and showcased

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom