Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what you say make sense, they might have a small ki6tchen for everyday use for them and an ovesize for the banquets

I thought State events took place at Fredensborg? :)

I don't understand...why do they have to move out of their current home? Isn't that a palace as well?

I thought State events took place at Fredensborg? :)

State Events take place either at Fredensborg Palace, or the the Royal Receptions Rooms at Christiansborg Palace or at Christians VII. Palace which is one of the four Amalienborg Palaces. As Frederik and Mary will also use the Palace which is now renovated once Frederik is King it should be possible to host there smaller official dinners and receptions.

Last edited:
I don't understand...why do they have to move out of their current home? Isn't that a palace as well?

I don't think they will move out of Fredensborg altogether but maintain it as a weekend/country home with the newly renovated palace in Copenhagen as their main city residence. Perhaps it will be like Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle for QEII.

I don't think they will move out of Fredensborg altogether but maintain it as a weekend/country home with the newly renovated palace in Copenhagen as their main city residence. Perhaps it will be like Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle for QEII.

OK, thank you for exlaining, windsorgirl.

The palace was found to be polluted (oil & gasoline on the lawn; asbestos in the pipes and use of lead paint) during the renovation process...Now that the renovation is complete, all of these harmful agents have been removed. These were part of the reasons why the renovations took so long and were so expensive.

can't wait to see soe photos sfrom the inside!!!!!

No, it is a smaller house attached to the Palace called Kancelihuset.

Fredensborg if i'm right, is a bit of a travel to copenhagen, and if rumours are true we may have a new King and Queen soon, and they will need to be near the capital.
They will probably use it for weekends & holidays away, and possible parties. :)

Fredensborg if i'm right, is a bit of a travel to copenhagen, and if rumours are true we may have a new King and Queen soon, and they will need to be near the capital.
They will probably use it for weekends & holidays away, and possible parties. :)

Actually it is only about 40 km from Amalienborg and can easily be done, as evident by the fact that Fredensborg is already "main" recidence of the Queen, with atleast 6 months of living a year. And she maneges to get by.

But as I pointed out, at Fredensborg they only live at a smaller house, at Amalienborg they would get one of the 4 mansions.

But as I pointed out, at Fredensborg they only live at a smaller house, at Amalienborg they would get one of the 4 mansions.

But it's only Frederik, Mary, Christian and Isabella. Plus a certain amount of staff.
They've managed for nearly 5 years. A mansion is going to be little use.
If they wanted they could of lived in Fredensborg Palace, and not Chancellery House.

But it's only Frederik, Mary, Christian and Isabella. Plus a certain amount of staff.
They've managed for nearly 5 years. A mansion is going to be little use.
If they wanted they could of lived in Fredensborg Palace, and not Chancellery House.
The Crown Prince Couple will use the top part of the palace as their private residence. The Crown Prince Couple's staff will also use the same palace permanently. The palace will be their main residence. They currently live at the Chancellery House. Fredensborg Palace is used by Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik and their staff. Therefore the CP Couple cannot live at Fredensborg "if they want".

The Crown Prince Couple will use the top part of the palace as their private residence.
The Crown Prince Couple's staff will also in the same palace. The palace will be their main residence.

Yes I realise.

They currently live at the Chancellery House. Fredensborg Palace is used by Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik and their staff. Therefore the CP Couple cannot live at Fredensborg "if they want".

I also realise this, but i'm sure Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik and the staff would have relocated. If the Crown Prince Couple would of liked to of lived in the Palace.

I know little about these things, but isn't a move to the Amalienborg Palace a sign of upgrading the Crown Prince's position as he, inevitably, gets closer to being King?

I also realise this, but i'm sure Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik and the staff would have relocated. If the Crown Prince Couple would of liked to of lived in the Palace.
When the Crown Prince Couple become King and Queen, then and only then will they move into Fredensborg Palace. It's like Queen Elizabeth II and the Prince of Wales. Prince Charles will move into Buckingham Palace only when he is King. The same goes for CP Frederik and his family as far as Fredensborg and Marselisborg is concerned since these are only used by the reigning King/Queen. Fredensborg Palace is used by the Queen for various activities in her role as Head of State.
http://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?dogtag=k_en_pal_freden
The Queen receives Heads of State from all over the world at Fredensborg during State Visits. Here too Ambassadors of foreign countries present their credentials to the Queen.
I know little about these things, but isn't a move to the Amalienborg Palace a sign of upgrading the Crown Prince's position as he, inevitably, gets closer to being King?
If Frederik VIII's palace was habitable at the time of the Crown Prince wedding in 2004, then CP Frederik and CP Mary would have been able to move in immediately. But the renovation and upgrade of the palace delayed it by 5-6 years.

But yes...CP Frederik and CP Mary are taking on more official duties since the Queen is getting older and Prince Henrik has semi-retired and spends more time at his Chateaux in France.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not upgrading just tradition :) The crown princely couple has always had one of the palaces at their disposal. The Frederik VIII's palace which Frederik and Mary will occupy was renovated in 1935-36 for the then crown princely couple, later king Frederik IX and queen Ingrid.

It's interesting to know how many rooms are at the private floor - guess that at least 20? One possibility is to see how many windows there are but guess that there are many rooms that have no windows... well as much I have been visiting several mansions and palaces...

What do You think? :ermm:

Yesterday the Royal House site reported that before Prince Frederik and Princess Mary will move into Frederik 8 Palace, it will be open to the public from February 27 to May 30. And on February 22 an official presentaton for the press will take place.
Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

Google Traducir

I'd like to be in Demark during this period, I would love to see the renovated palace, I think it would be so interesting to see.

yes pity, that we will never see photos of their private areas, i would love to see the kitchen, master bathroom and her dressing room area!!!!!! i bet is to die for!

Can you imagine how large the room/rooms that store all her gowns,furns,hats,shoes,suits--etc -- it would have to be climate controlled as well as high security (many of those clothes are worth a fortune)

Can you imagine how large the room/rooms that store all her gowns,furns,hats,shoes,suits--etc -- it would have to be climate controlled as well as high security (many of those clothes are worth a fortune)
yes you are right, i would love to be a fly and see it!!!!!!

For some weird reason I can't see any pictures... :sad:

Photos of the renovated Frederik VIII Palace, future home of the Crown Princely Couple
Slots- og Ejendomsstyrelsen - Frederik 8.s Palæ

Here you can see a map of the Palace and its residents since its construction
http://www.ses.dk/en/SlotteOgHaver/...tte og haver/F8 pressekit UK/1_Floorplan.ashx

Facts about the hiatory of the Palace
http://www.ses.dk/en/SlotteOgHaver/...og haver/F8 pressekit UK/6_Facts_history.ashx

Some additional info
Palaces and Properties Agency - Press kit opening of Frederik VIII's Palace

On wenesday 24 February at 8:00pm

Danish DR Tv, will broadcast a special on the newly restored King Frederik VIII's palace at Amalienborg
Kronprinsparrets nye hjem - dr.dk/DR1http://translate.google.com/transla.../Dokumentar/2010/0219103032_1.htm&sl=da&tl=en

http://translate.google.com/transla.../Dokumentar/2010/0219103032_1.htm&sl=da&tl=en

Last edited:
I'm overwhelmed -- the results are beyond stunning IMO. There is one room with a sink and lots of cabinetry and animals painted on the walls. Could that be a children's art room?

Wow I really think they messed the mark on this big time. I understand wanting to make the place more modern but that was not the way to go. It doesn't mess well at all, if they wanted a more modern touch, it would have been better to go with the modern furniture, or more toned down art work. The modern works are in the banqueting hall, the dinning room, meeting room, reception room which just makes it so much worse because those are the ones that will be used in the course of their public duties. I see this as nothing sort of a failure at the attempt to combined the two. It's not that I don't like the art, I actually do like most of them, but not in the context of the palace, and the functions of the rooms. It's disappointed that with the budget they were given this is what they came up with.

Back
Top Bottom