Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they wanted to bring in "modern art" it should have been in picture form, and could be rotated to give many many artists coverage

I'm sorry if my comments make some of you mad, this is just my own opinion..........and I am glad my tax money didn't go for this . Denmark
's culture should have been respected and showcased

I'm unable to locate the source at the present time (damn it), but it's my understanding the wall art is actually on canvas, or something which can be removed if wished.

Thank you, Terri Terri. Muchly appreciated :)
progress.gif
The artwork in the Vistuble reflects the Kingdom of Denmark and the Danish Commonwealth. Furthermore, it honours the Crown Princess, with a large depiction of the state of Tasmania and the Australian mainland. A world map also features but on a 'smaller' scale.

Something which has occurred to me (perhaps slowly :p), and that I find incredibly charming is that the Vistuble seems to tell the story of Mary and Frederik.

To the right you have the representation of Denmark, it's isles and Greenland, which adorns the entrance into the Crown Princes' study.

To the left you have a depiction of Australasia, here encompassing the Australian mainland and New Guinea, with the State of Tasmania being the prominent focal point on the opposing side of the doorway. It is the left wing of the bel-étage that is to be used as the Crown Princess' personal administrative centre.

Between either side are two world maps contrary to the other, thus representing the opposite sides of the world.

At the top of the mid doorway is an illustration of Frederick VIII's Palace, now to be the principal epicentre of this (their) union.

And throughout the artwork can be found personal references to their relationship.

Tonight there's a TV show about the renovation of the palace!

Does someone have a link to watch it online??

I don't mind so much that they've incorporated this wall paintings to an old builidng. Here in Mexico we have a great tradition of muralists and you can see modern paintings in colonial buildings. Since they were done by people like Diego Rivera and such, nowadays they worth a lot and they keep restoring them.

I found lovely they have art telling their story, and I think is something thant the couple and those next to them appreciates more than strangers can, especially when you have struggled with distance or some other adversity. I have at home something that reminded me of that, on a wall we placed a series of pictures of the travels my husband and I have taken together, for us they are precious cause we struggled with distance too

Anyway, I don't think any of you has talked about the stairs. I work as a lighting designer and I found those balls rather something. I like them, they do create an impact and they give me the idea of a nordic place, it's a great concept. It gives the stairs certain individuality; however I'm not sure if the room is too dark, cause it looks dark, or if they have natural light, apparently not. Which means the lights will be on every single time someone uses them.

It makes me wonder about the energy criteria they've used for this project

Anyway, I don't think any of you has talked about the stairs. I work as a lighting designer and I found those balls rather something. I like them, they do create an impact and they give me the idea of a nordic place, it's a great concept. It gives the stairs certain individuality; however I'm not sure if the room is too dark, cause it looks dark, or if they have natural light, apparently not. Which means the lights will be on every single time someone uses them.

Underwater Lights
And Olafur Eliasson has created lamps for a stairwell to be implying that you are underwater. At the top of this new stairwell is a gigantic dented aluminum plate that resembles the surface seen from below on a sunny day.

The walls are bright balloons - luminaries made of bronze ring with a single monochrome LED's, which doubled the mirrors, so it looks as if there is a hole in the wall. It is Eliasson, where he is best.

Eliasson's luminous bubbles are lighting fixtures made of bronze ring with a single monochrome LED's, which doubled the mirrors, so it looks as if there is a hole in the wall.
This quote is from a review in the danish republikan newspaper Politiken
Det kongelige guldbur er fremragende renoveret - iBYEN.dk

A Google-translation
Google Translate

I really love all this renovation and mixing but only thing I just can't like is that "psychedelic" ceiling -it just makes me kind of nervous or so but on the other hand I don't have to live there.

But all in all work - traditional and modern - are beautiful and I'm sure too that those modern paintings are on canvas cause preservation of antiquities never don't allow to draw so new things on the wall :)

I really love this staircase with these interesting lamps - really want that kind of thing too. These lamps made so mystery and under water feeling... Very beautiful.

About traditional rooms - I'm just speechless cause there are really kept and followed historical aspect! Corgeus!

Frederick and Mary and their children must be very happy for their new beautiful home,,, sry, castle:flowers:

Paty, thank You so much for this link:). This documental was very interesting to see...!

Video of the special documental
Kronprinsparrets nye hjem 20100224

Worth the watch indeed ! Many thanks !

I've one very weird question and don't know where to write it - how Ziggy will be living in Amalienborg? I understand that at the first floor there will be official rooms and family will be living on the third floor. I don't wanna believe that the dog will be allowed to walk in these official rooms. Surely there will be some house for dog at the garden but I wanna believe that they let Ziggy into the castle too. But I'm sure that Ziggy will not have so much freedom as maybe in Chancellery house ...

Or what do you think?:)

Well ziggy was in the video, is the first time I see a dog in a site!. She will probably leave there, the place is big enough

I'm amazed by Mary's level of danish. Talking about construction or any other techincal sutff in a foreign language means you have an excelent grasp of it

The renovations on Frederik and Mary's home,the Frederik VIII's Palace,Amalienborg Copenhagen:

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe:)

I think they did a wonderful job of mixing the old/rocco with the new/modern, and highlighting contemporary Danish artists. I love the paint colors chosen for the walls. I think it's a perfect livable modern palace! I hope we get to see it when it's "finished" - ie with furniture! I wonder what styles will go in the various rooms. Will they reupholster family antiques or purchase new stuff?

I've watched the video, but don't understand Danish, so now I'm wondering if the room with the sink is not a kitchen (or children's room as I originally thought) but a staging area for serving food in a formal dining room -- kind of a butler's pantry but larger, since the real kitchen is probably on a different floor altogether.

I thought it was supposed to be a kitchen but I don't see any appliances. I could see it being a butler's pantry/staging area, but then the animals on the wall seem a little out of place if it's not a child-orientated area.

I thought it was supposed to be a kitchen but I don't see any appliances. I could see it being a butler's pantry/staging area, but then the animals on the wall seem a little out of place if it's not a child-orientated area.

It's not the real kitchen. It's more to prepare the dinenr before serving it. The real kitchen is probably in the basement. .

Wow, incredible castle. Mixing old and new can be quite tricky, I would have loved to see the murals as paintings as well for it can become tiresome sooner than later, but a beautiful painting is always loved. But...since its not my house!! I look forward to seeing things once the furniture is added. I so wish we could see a princess's closet-dressing area-bath. I know that sounds kinda creepy but I would just love to see how things are stored and organized...since our Mary is so modern maybe she will break tradition some day and give us all a peek!!!!!!

Windsorgirl; Here is the special DR site for the docu that provide a link to wacht it. Try that link as well. Click on "Se dokumentaren" Kronprinsparrets nye hjem - dr.dk/DR1

DR wil broadcast during March and April the Duco, "The Royal House Inside"
There is a special site for it also, Is in that page where I find the picture for my avatar and there is a lot of avatar material there!

Patience is a virtue: Your link worked -- I just had to be patient enough to give it a minute to load. Many thanks!

I watched parts of the documentary last night and it looks wonderful. :)

the summer in Denmark is ok so you do not need air condition like here in vegas but i wonder in the winter how they will hit this huge rooms?????

Thanks for all the links to the photos and video, I like the changes and most of the artwork especially the oval painting.
Seeing the video really made me wish I could visit.

I just watched this video, and I really enjoyed it - and was in awe of all the work, efforts and deliberations that have been put into this restoration.

Amazing that they find relicts of ornaments from an old hidden ceiling under the flooring so they can copy and recreate the ornamentation and bring it back to around 1820.

It was quite funny hearing one of the architects using the words 'accessories' and searching for an equivalent Danish word -and Mary helping him by saying 'nips'. She seems to have a quite extensive Danish vocabulary.

They are also going to have a rather large pool. Has that been completed?? Will it be an indoor or a outdoor pool??
Because it is going to be part of the CP Couple's residence, will other royal members of the family be able to make free of it, or is it considered just the CP Couples private home, and they would have to wait for a invitation ??
They also have an outdoor pool at their Khancellory House which I believee is for their use only, except by invitation

They are also going to have a rather large pool. Has that been completed?? Will it be an indoor or a outdoor pool??
Because it is going to be part of the CP Couple's residence, will other royal members of the family be able to make free of it, or is it considered just the CP Couples private home, and they would have to wait for a invitation ??
They also have an outdoor pool at their Khancellory House which I believee is for their use only, except by invitation

I didn't know they were getting a pool, i doubt its outdoor as there is no where to put an outdoor pool.
I don't think the other members of the DRF will have to invited to use their pool, they are family of course but I don't see Joachim travelling everyday just to swim in the pool.

Love what they've done to the old building. Difficult to incorporate old and new styles, but they've done well. Would love to see if they use some of the old furnishings from the original times of 1940's. The chandeliers look great all polished up. At least they can change some of the art work if they want. The port of Nyhaven is immediately recognizable. Does anyone know when they move in?

Back
Top Bottom