Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In one of the Danish news articles it said that their personal apartment is 4,500-m2 in size, what would that me in square footage ???????

That would be around 45.000 square feet. Give or take a few.

I would imagen though, that thet is the area of the entire house, all floors, and not just the crownprince couple's private quarters. Where did you read that?

I dont know how much of the house will be used to representation, and how much will be private. But like with the Queen and prince consort, I asume that at least some of it will be used for representation and staff quarters.

That would be around 45.000 square feet. Give or take a few.

I would imagen though, that thet is the area of the entire house, all floors, and not just the crownprince couple's private quarters. Where did you read that?

I dont know how much of the house will be used to representation, and how much will be private. But like with the Queen and prince consort, I asume that at least some of it will be used for representation and staff quarters.
i agree with you it seems to big for them alone

There is substantial information on the renovation of FrederikVIII's palace at the following links.
Renovation of Frederik VIII’s Palace, Amalienborg
Palaces and Properties Agency - Renovation of Frederik VIII’s Palace, Amalienborg
The palace will be both the residence and house the administration of the Crown Prince Couple of Denmark. It will be used for official functions and is also being renovated as a suitable residence of Denmark's future King.

Art and Gardens at Frederik VIII

Palaces and Properties Agency - Art and gardens for Frederik VIII’s Palace

Energy Savings at Frederik VIII's Palace
Palaces and Properties Agency - Energy savings in Frederik VIII's Palace

BT has an article about the recently renovated home of Frederik and Mary at Amalienborg.

Kom på besøg hos Frede og Mary - Royale - BT.dk

It will be open to the public from 27 February until 30 May 2010. There will also be an opportunity to see art that has been created specifically for the palace.

It´s my plane that i will take a trip to Copenhagen and take a look at their future home and perhaps take som pic of it :flowers:

Oh lucky you!:flowers: it would be great if you could share those pics with us!

Does someone know when is planned that Frederik and Mary move to the new home?

Last edited:
:previous: Considering the renovations will be complete in the northern autumn this year, I think that they might move in late this year, or early next year. It is also possible they might wait until the Palace is closed from the public again to move in.

Will we get pictures of the private area the family will be staying in? or does anyone have details on how many rooms, living rooms in the family are will have?

It´s my plane that i will take a trip to Copenhagen and take a look at their future home and perhaps take som pic of it :flowers:
Oh please share when you get them! That would be so great for us!!!:D

Oh lucky you!:flowers: it would be great if you could share those pics with us!

Does someone know when is planned that Frederik and Mary move to the new home?

As I wrote in post 58, it wont be untill after the house has been viewed by the public. So April 2010 at the earliest...

As I wrote in post 58, it wont be untill after the house has been viewed by the public. So April 2010 at the earliest...

I hate to tell you all this,but my planes to taking a trip to Copenhagen blew up because my friend has caugth a ordernary flue ( not the scarry on) and she is preagnent,so oure trip is posponede until firther notist sorry :ermm:

I can't wait for the CP Family to move into Amalienborg. I really must go and see the Palace again. It's such a wonderful place.
:flowers:

This particular story has made a number of appearances throughout Australian newspapers these past months. The Herald Sun today has an article about the renovations aswell.

It's going to look extraordinary when the restoration is complete. Simply stunning!

However, I believe these photo's have been in circulation for a few weeks now.

Princess Mary's new home | Herald Sun

Wow! The Palace looks beautiful - just what you'd like a Royal Family to be able to entertain in!
Will they have to move far? - what becomes of the Palace they have been living in all this time - what will it be used for?
Just Curious,
-Shari-Aree

Wow this place is going to be so beautiful!!!!

Wow! The Palace looks beautiful - just what you'd like a Royal Family to be able to entertain in!
Will they have to move far? - what becomes of the Palace they have been living in all this time - what will it be used for?
Just Curious,
-Shari-Aree

Fredensborg is located around 40km's from Copenhagen so they don't have very far to move.

Amalienborg will become the Crown Princely family's principle residence, now and after Frederik's succession.

Chancellery House was not intended to be their official residence at any time, rather, was sought to be used whilst the Frederik VIII's Palace was placed under restoration.

It could be that Chancellery House shall remain the Crown Princely Family's personal quaters, and so serve as the their spring and autumn place of residence.

:previous:
The Palace does look beautiful, I didn't know that Danish artists have been commisioned to do each room, how beautiful. That will give a unique feel to the whole palace. :flowers:

I have read somewhere that some parts of the palace will be opened to the public. Is that true? Would be great to see it. The palace is quite impressive and I also think very nicely decorated in friendly colours.

The 'state' rooms will be opened to the public between February 28th and May 30th of next year; before the Crown Princely family take up residence. The family's private living quaters will remain just that, private, and so will not be open for public viewing.

i am not sure if this is the right forum but here is an articule about their new home!Hello! magazine

Mary of Denmark's new home is fit for a queen after a £13-million makeover

yes, lucky her, I was there several years ago but I can not remeber do they have like a private "back yard" or their home is like in a kind of apartment ?

Joachim had an apartment at Amalienborg..............since his marriage to Marie and with the addition of baby Henrik does he still have the same apartment, or did he get a larger one ?? Andf how large (how many rooms, etc).....thankyou!

What happened to Fredericks apartment---does he still use it ?? Also how largee is it????

Joachim had an apartment at Amalienborg..............since his marriage to Marie and with the addition of baby Henrik does he still have the same apartment, or did he get a larger one ?? Andf how large (how many rooms, etc).....thankyou!

What happened to Fredericks apartment---does he still use it ?? Also how largee is it????

Both the Crownprince and Prince Joachim still have their apartments on Amalienborg. I don't know the size and I cant remember ever having seen pictures of them. The apartments are located on the very top of Levetzaus Palæ also known as Christian the 8. Palæ. The apartments for Princess Benedikte and Princess Anne Marie - who are in N. P. Stilling's book only described as "relatively small" - are located in Brockdorffs Palæ. That is the one currently being renovated as future recidence for the Crownprince couple. What that will mean for the apartments I dont know, but I would imagen that they would be moved to one of the other buildings.

Christian VII's Palace is used for visiting guests/dignitaries and representation.

Christian VIII's Palace houses the Glücksburg royals museum (the Oldenburgs can be found at Rosenborg castle) as well as offices, a depot of the Queen's library and residence for the heir (until the renovations are finished on Frederik VIII's Palace). Prince Joachim also have a flat here, as will Anne-Marie and Benedikte after the renovations.

Christian IX's Palace has been the residence of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik since 1967.

Frederik VIII's Palace was the residence of Queen Ingrid and King Frederik and is currently undergoing renovations to become the residence for Mary and Frederik.

As mentioned above, Benedikte and Anne-Marie have/will have flats at Amalienborg. Benedikte had one, but Anne-Marie, I think, stayed with her mother when she was in Denmark.

The above is the current make-up of who lives at Amalienborg now. The administrative offices of the Crown Prince Couple are in Christian VIII. The CP Couple also uses the official reception rooms at Christian VIII, e.g. when CP Mary hosts her patronages for the New Year. Prince Joachim, Princess Marie, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie all have apartments in Christian VIII. (The apartments of Princess Benedikte and Queen Ann-Marie were moved from Frederik VIII to Christian VIII when renovations on Frederik VIII began)
However, the current residence (i.e. if they choose to sleep in the city) of the CP Couple is in Christian VII.

This following information is from http://www.crownprincecouple.dk/1bc0029
After Crown Prince Frederik moved out of Christian 8’s Palace in the spring of 2004 and during the ongoing restoration of Frederik 8’s Palace at Amalienborg, The Crown Prince and Crown Princess will use the apartment in Christian 7’s Palace as their city dwelling.

When the Crown Prince Family move into Frederik VIII's palace next year...the palace will be used by them and their staff alone...and both the private dwelling residence and administrative offices will be at Frederik VIII...instead of the private and administrative offices being in two separate palaces as it is now.

Back
Top Bottom