Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
<<40 bathrooms?! Huh. I don't believe it.>>

Could they be counting "public" bathrooms? I imagine the couple will host balls or large dinner events that would have more than an average amount of people. When people here in the US host something extra large at their home like a BBQ as a graduation party, sometimes they bring in portapotties...I'm guessing that a temporary toilet in front of Amalienborg wouldn't be cool :)

Debby

GlitteringTiaras said:
40 bathrooms?! Huh. I don't believe it.

:)

Well you never know when you've got to go :p Maybe they cater for when guests arrive- i couldn't imagine them all sharing a couple of toilets but then 40 seems a lot too- if that is true.:D :)

tabbitha said:
Well you never know when you've got to go :p Maybe they cater for when guests arrive- i couldn't imagine them all sharing a couple of toilets but then 40 seems a lot too- if that is true.:D :)

Actually, it is not 40, but 20, an increase of 4 from the last renovation. Not really that much, when you think about that the mansion is about 5000 m2. And as dlws92 said, it does not only include the provate bathrooms but also the once for "public" use when there will be parties etc., and I am sure also bathrooms for the staff, some of whom may both work and live there...And when you consider that the last renovation was, as mentioned in 1935, it suddenly doesnt sound that crazy. Normaly I wouldnt respond, but one of the tabloids here have been running a particular horrendous campaign as of late, about the royal and their spending, confusing many things.

As someone mentioned, Amalienborg is indeed owned by the state and if, God forbid, we should one day become a republic, the place would be theres to sell or do with as they pleased. The renovation and maitenence has been shabby for a long time, and as someone mentioned it has been years since they first descovered the problems, only to start a formal renovation a few years ago...

And so for a tabloid to use that as a opportunity to write a critical story about the royal family, only proved that they will do anything to sell papers. It would of couse have been interesting to have seen to tackle the real issue and problems, mainly that despite financial difficulty, saving on maitenance and restoration is the worst thing that you can do, as it ALWAYS ends up being much more expensive...But I guess all the politicians are on summerbreak...

When I wrote my treatise about royal portraiture in Denmark I was permitted to study the works of art at Amalienborg in the four palais royales and I can assure you all, that this place is far too small for 40 bathrooms - even if they were placed with only ten in each palais...

Everyone who has seen a plan of the palais royales at Amalienborg knows that there are not even 40 rooms in each of them...

Whist I am not a Danish citizen, I can tell you that should any 'Heritage' building be left to fall into disrepair, be it (in the case of New Zealand) the Governor General's dwelling or the Prime Minister's, I would feel anger at allowing our (short) history to be endangered.

I also expect the government to foot the bill to keep these buildings not only in good repair, but in a degree of luxury. Our diplomatic guests deserve to be hosted in comfort and 'style', by which I mean equal at the very least to that which is provided by the best Hotel in the country. Anything less is false modesty and lack of grace! :eek:

(Having one's guests queueing for the bathroom is NOT a good look.)

MARG said:
(Having one's guests queueing for the bathroom is NOT a good look.)

Or offering them one with the sanitary installations of the beginning of the last century! :D

I was permitted to study the works of art at Amalienborg in the four palais royales...

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the make-up of Amalienborg? There are four palais royales inside that makeup the palace itself?

politikgirl said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the make-up of Amalienborg? There are four palais royales inside that makeup the palace itself?
Amalienborg (it is never referred to as "Amalienborg Castle/Palace" in Danish, as far as I'm aware, just Amalienborg) is four palaces around a "town square."

This illustration (PDF) may explain it visually better: http://www.ses.dk/db/files/amalienborg_pdf_.pdf

wasn't one of their residences already restored? as far as i remember there was some criticism about a kitchen of the place where they currently live/will be living was restored, and cost lots of money. where was that kitchen? in the chancellory house or in amalienborg? i see no reason for restoring a kitchen with so much money that won't be used anymore...

norwegianne said:
Amalienborg (it is never referred to as "Amalienborg Castle/Palace" in Danish, as far as I'm aware, just Amalienborg) is four palaces around a "town square."

This illustration (PDF) may explain it visually better: http://www.ses.dk/db/files/amalienborg_pdf_.pdf

Very Interesting.! Thanks, but In which palace do they live ?
And where do they live in summer ?

Thanks in Avance!!

Paty said:
Very Interesting.! Thanks, but In which palace do they live ?
And where do they live in summer ?

Thanks in Avance!!

Their future Home will be frederik's VIII. palais which is Nr. 3 on this illustration

I have been looking through this thread, and I have some questions:

Amalienborg has four palaces, if I am correct:
Christian VII palace, for what do they use this?
Christian VIII palace, for the CP and CPss
Christian IX palace, again, what is happening here?
Frederik VIII palace, residence of The Queen?

And finally, where do princess Elisabeth and her brother Count Ingolf live. Where do Benedikte and Anne-Marie stay when they are in Denmark, do they have their own appartments somewhere? And does Joachim have a place to stay in Copenhagen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amalienborg has four palaces, if I am correct:
Christian VII palace, for what do they use this?
Christian VIII palace, for the CP and CPss
Christian IX palace, again, what is happening here?
Frederik VIII palace, residence of The Queen?

And finally, where do princess Elisabeth and her brother Count Ingolf live. Where do Benedikte and Anne-Marie stay when they are in Denmark, do they have their own appartments somewhere? And does Joachim have a place to stay in Copenhagen?
Christian VII's Palace is used for visiting guests/dignitaries and representation.

Christian VIII's Palace houses the Glücksburg royals museum (the Oldenburgs can be found at Rosenborg castle) as well as offices, a depot of the Queen's library and residence for the heir (until the renovations are finished on Frederik VIII's Palace). Prince Joachim also have a flat here, as will Anne-Marie and Benedikte after the renovations.

Christian IX's Palace has been the residence of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik since 1967.

Frederik VIII's Palace was the residence of Queen Ingrid and King Frederik and is currently undergoing renovations to become the residence for Mary and Frederik.

As mentioned above, Benedikte and Anne-Marie have/will have flats at Amalienborg. Benedikte had one, but Anne-Marie, I think, stayed with her mother when she was in Denmark.

Christian VII's Palace is used for visiting guests/dignitaries and representation.

Christian VIII's Palace houses the Glücksburg royals museum (the Oldenburgs can be found at Rosenborg castle) as well as offices, a depot of the Queen's library and residence for the heir (until the renovations are finished on Frederik VIII's Palace). Prince Joachim also have a flat here, as will Anne-Marie and Benedikte after the renovations.

Christian IX's Palace has been the residence of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik since 1967.

Frederik VIII's Palace was the residence of Queen Ingrid and King Frederik and is currently undergoing renovations to become the residence for Mary and Frederik.

As mentioned above, Benedikte and Anne-Marie have/will have flats at Amalienborg. Benedikte had one, but Anne-Marie, I think, stayed with her mother when she was in Denmark.

Benedikte and Anne-Marie have already flats/Rooms at Christiansborg VIII. Palace since the renovation of Frederik VIII. Palace started. Frederik and Mary have rooms at Christiansborg VII. Palace at their disposal when needed.

Also worth a Visit is Christian's VII. Palace at Amalienborg. It is also open in the Summer-Months but only on Saturdays and Sundays are guided tours there.

Frederick & Mary future official residence

I've heard that there are renovation in one castle of Amalienborg palace and the work will be finish in 2009. Then the castle will be official residence for Fr & M and they decide if they move to Amalienborg or stay at Fredensborg. Does somebody know something more about that?

I've heard that there are renovation in one castle of Amalienborg palace and the work will be finish in 2009. Then the castle will be official residence for Fr & M and they decide if they move to Amalienborg or stay at Fredensborg. Does somebody know something more about that?

Yes, that is true. Renovations are currently taking place in one of the palaces at Amalienborg and will be completed in 2009 for Mary, Frederik and their children to move into as their official residence. Earlier this year, M&F had a meeting with the designers who would be designing the interior of the apartments :)

Yes, that is true. Renovations are currently taking place in one of the palaces at Amalienborg and will be completed in 2009 for Mary, Frederik and their children to move into as their official residence. Earlier this year, M&F had a meeting with the designers who would be designing the interior of the apartments :)
So, how does it work? do they have like an appartment inside the palace? how big are this appratments? how is divided the palace? for them, emplyes, security, visitors?

So, how does it work? do they have like an appartment inside the palace? how big are this appratments? how is divided the palace? for them, emplyes, security, visitors?

I dont really know, but I would imagen that they would have more than "an apartment", since it will be their primary recidence. They will likely get at least a floor. Something will be used to representation, but I supose it it likely that they would still use some of the rooms that are currently at Christian IX's Palace, since they would already have been build for representation...

I dont really know, but I would imagen that they would have more than "an apartment", since it will be their primary recidence. They will likely get at least a floor. Something will be used to representation, but I supose it it likely that they would still use some of the rooms that are currently at Christian IX's Palace, since they would already have been build for representation...

They will have the entire Frederik VIII's Palais (Brockdorff Palais) which was until 2000 the residence of Queen Ingrid. Just the same as Queen margrethe II. and Prince Henrike have the entire Christian IX's Palais since 1967. At the moment the have appartements in the Christian VIII's Palais when they have to stay over night at Copenhagen.

They will have the entire Frederik VIII's Palais (Brockdorff Palais) which was until 2000 the residence of Queen Ingrid. Just the same as Queen margrethe II. and Prince Henrike have the entire Christian IX's Palais since 1967. At the moment the have appartements in the Christian VIII's Palais when they have to stay over night at Copenhagen.

Well, obviously. But just like with Christian VIII's Palace, something will most likely also be used for something else. Representation, staff etc.

Do any of these Palaces has an indoor pool? I think I read that Mary & Fred have an outdoor pool (a wedding gift) at Chancellory House (where they had a pool party for Isabella's Christening.....

Do any of these Palaces has an indoor pool? I think I read that Mary & Fred have an outdoor pool (a wedding gift) at Chancellory House (where they had a pool party for Isabella's Christening.....

I didn't know they had an outdoor pool. It would be wonderful if Amalienborg had an indoor pool but they don't have much garden for outdoor one. Does Amalienborg have any outdoor space for a garden?
x

I didn't know they had an outdoor pool. It would be wonderful if Amalienborg had an indoor pool but they don't have much garden for outdoor one. Does Amalienborg have any outdoor space for a garden?
x

There is no outdoor pool at Amalienborg. If there were one I would have seen it, as Amalienborg is open to the public and I live close by. I do very much doubt that there is an indoor pool. Amalienborg is a listed building which in 1794 became the residence of the King/queen. Making an indoor pool simply isn't in accordiance with danish law regarding listed buildings.

There is no outdoor pool at Amalienborg. If there were one I would have seen it, as Amalienborg is open to the public and I live close by. I do very much doubt that there is an indoor pool. Amalienborg is a listed building which in 1794 became the residence of the King/queen. Making an indoor pool simply isn't in accordiance with danish law regarding listed buildings.

I was commenting on the supposed outdoor pool at Chancellery house. And yes I would have seen it aswell as I have seen pictures from Google Earth and have walked around Amalienborg myself.
x

Perhaps the outdoor pool was at one of the other Palaces ... it was an ariel shot of a Palace.............

Acording to this article from Danish tabloid EB, the crownprince couple will not more into Amalienborg until 2010. From January - March, the renovated palace will apparently be open to limited public viewing and they will therefore not begin the move until April of 2010, at the earliest.

In one of the Danish news articles it said that their personal apartment is 4,500-m2 in size, what would that me in square footage ???????

Back
Top Bottom