Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the book I have it seems to say "sitting hall".

A kind of "forstue" I presume? I.e. for say a couch, table and a couple of chairs.

The link I provided is a vidcap from the documentary about the renovation. I didn't know this floorplan is also featured in the book.

:previous:
I visited the palace twice, with two different groups of friends, but the plan of the palace I got lives its own life in the bowels of a book somewhere :D! What I do remember is that we saw their their semiprivate dining room (seats about 20) - the one with Tal R's painting!

viv

Hi Viv,did you have a favourite area of the Palace from your 2 visits?

A kind of "forstue" I presume? I.e. for say a couch, table and a couple of chairs.

The link I provided is a vidcap from the documentary about the renovation. I didn't know this floorplan is also featured in the book.

There is a "provisional floorplan 2005" in the book, which I can recommend, BTW.
The "forstue"/"sitting hall" seems to be quite big, more like a second sitting room on the private floor.
The room which has nr 9 in your floor plan has the text "garderobe".

Last edited:
Thanks, Nordic.

That makes perfect sense. A second sitting room upstairs, where the kids can crash. Or where Frederik can watch soccer, while Mary is sobbing to Sound of Music downstairs. :p

As for the garderobe/wardrobe #9. I learned some time ago that the Lady's Maid, and presumably Frederik's valet as well, actually works on the Mezzanin. We learned afte the death of the former LM, that she was very, very close to the family in her daily work. And it is a mighty big wardrobe with an awful lot of floorspace, so this must be the workplace of the Lady's Maid.

#9 defenetly must be Mary's wardrobe, it make sense, for all her staff and the ladys'maid to take care and be there and from outside I think it does not have windows? either! reall would love to be a fly to see all the palace! must be incredible! one thing I notice when I was there last month is that all the windows has heavy courtains, I guess so no paparrazi zoom with any camara, but I thought make the room darker and I thought may be in the ohter side they have the light but when I went trhough one of the side streets I though the same so we were actually talking with my husband that it must be dark there all day having alwasy the windows cover! i guess only the top floor must have light?

Found the 'kitchen' photo...fingers crossed the link works
http://asset.ninemsn.com.au/img/000/000/209/993/princess-mary.jpg

This kitchen must be on the beletage, as seen by the great graphic provided by Roskilde :)

Den nye Kongebolig

To the right of the beletage diagram it shows rooms like: spisestue, privat kokken, tagterrasse, etc And this must be where the twins 1st birthday photos were taken...

This is a MASSIVE house! Considering all the rooms (and their functions) are spread out...and the staircases (trappe) are on the other side of the floor...I am not sure whether there are elevators or whether the DRF are believers in using them...bit of stairwork for exercise is probably good for you ;)

Dansk venner: What does anrettergemak mean? Cannot find a translation for it anywhere...

I think it means pantry and I think it make sense becasue it is close to the kitchen and where they eat everyday, but wish we could have photos fro the private areas ould be sonice to see it!

Dansk venner: What does anrettergemak mean? Cannot find a translation for it anywhere...

Not a danish-speaker myself, but "anretter" plugged into Google Translate was "pantry", which sort of makes sense as there's an "anretterkøkken" (køkken=kitchen) on the lower level.

:previous:
I visited the palace twice, with two different groups of friends, but the plan of the palace I got lives its own life in the bowels of a book somewhere :D! What I do remember is that we saw their their semiprivate dining room (seats about 20) - the one with Tal R's painting!
viv
Isn't the Tal R painting in Frederik's office? At least it was there when I visited the palace.
According to the booklet I bought the painting in the Dining Room on the bel etage (next to the former Throne Hall, now Reading and Music Room, and the Green Hall and the private kitchen) is by Kaspar Bonnén.

AnnaNotherThing
This is a MASSIVE house! Considering all the rooms (and their functions) are spread out...and the staircases (trappe) are on the other side of the floor...I am not sure whether there are elevators or whether the DRF are believers in using them...bit of stairwork for exercise is probably good for you ;)

My impression was more like: Cute little palace! :) You can feel that the four Amalienborg palaces were originally built for nobility not for royalty. Compared with other palaces I have seen F+M's palais is not massive.
AFAIR there are elevators.
And in my English guide "anrettergemak" is translated into "Serving Kitchen". There is one next to the Banqueting Hall on the ground floor and one next to the Reading and Music Room and subsequently the Dining Room on the bel etage (this one is with the Bambi painting by Kathrine Aertebjerg).
"Gemak" is actually an oldfashioned expression for "room", perhaps best translated as "chamber".

Last edited:
There is an elevator going all the way up. It's located next to Mary's office, In the little room seperating her office from the room on the garden side. Just opposite the toilet.
I don't think M&F use the levator a lot but it's handy for transporting furnitures and what not up to the private apartment.

Anrettergemak does indeed mean pantry as several of you says.

Isn't the Tal R painting in Frederik's office? At least it was there when I visited the palace.
According to the booklet I bought the painting in the Dining Room on the bel etage (next to the former Throne Hall, now Reading and Music Room, and the Green Hall and the private kitchen) is by Kaspar Bonnén.

Yep, you're right, it hasn't changed place :)! The dining room with Kasper Bonnéns painting is situated almost above Frederik's office, that's why I confused them!

Hi Viv,did you have a favourite area of the Palace from your 2 visits?
There was a painting in the ceiling of a conference room, it was a modern take on a baroque doomsday-like theme by artist Eske Kath. The colours were very strong and maybe you'll tire of them in the long run. It wouldn't work in a bed-sit! But ..if I could 'steal' one of the new fixed paintings, this would be it!

viv

Last edited:
It is massive ... or that just compared to my home .... I am really envious all that cupboard space,just stunning.

It is massive ... or that just compared to my home .... I am really envious all that cupboard space,just stunning.
now we are two!!! and can you imagine her wardrobe, where all her shoes, handbags, hats , accesries, clothings, dresses, and the jewellery all organize and tidy!!!! wow, i want that too!!!!!!

I actually tend to believe that one who hasn't visited their mansion would be a bit surprised about that it isn't so big or massive after all. I'm not saying that it is the same size as a normal house :p but in terms of we're talking about a castle/palace it isn't big or massive. I was very surprised when I visited F+M's mansion to the opening in the spring 2010. I had thought it was much bigger and larger than it actually is ;)

Last edited:
But they have 4 floors of big! I have one floor of small...which is sadly probably about the size of Mary's wardrobe ;)

I actually tend to believe that one who hasn't visited their mansion would be a bit surprised about that it isn't so big or massive after all. ;)

No it's not monstrously big and yet... I remember wondering what it would be like to live in these high ceilinged rooms, like Queen Ingrid did! One of the rooms we went through used to be a private room (bedroom?) if I remember correctly! Maybe one doesn't think about it if brought up in a palace?

Anyway I'm glad that I don't have to foot the bill for the heating ...:D

viv

yes, i though about the heating bill and electric bill too! and if you wake up in themiddleof the night to go to the bathroom you have to walk a lot not mention i s youlisten the kids to cry and go walking to the other side of the corridor! but even that i would love to have a place like that! and to live in a place with such history! and secure! they ever get worry that they go to get rob!

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #21, 2013.

Where a Jette Højsgaard would like to know why there is no palace chapel at Amalienborg.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies, that Amalienborg originally wasn't build as a palace. (*) But as homes for four distinguished noble families, (some of which you may recognice) Moltke, Levetzau, Brockdork and Løvenskiold.
However when the royal palace, Christiansborg Slot burned to the ground (**) in 1794 the DRF were suddenly palaceless and they took over Amalienborg.
The DRF became so attached to the place that even after Christianborg was rebuilt, they remained attached to Amalienborg and now it's the official residence - and has aaalways been so and no one can imagine it has ever been different.

The official church of the DRF is actually the chapel at the current Christiansborg Slot, which is the seat of the Parliament and not Holmens Kirke, the naval church as many believe. Holmens Kirke is just one of the preferred churches of the DRF and indeed is a beautiful and cosy little church positivelt oozing atmosphere and history.

(*) In fact Amalienborg is populary known and often called Amalienborg Slot = palace here in DK, but it's correct name is simply Amalienborg.

(**) That fire took place at night and there is a story about a servant risking his life to fetch a wig for the king, who stood outside, so that the Monarch would look appropriate.

The papers have reported an incident at Amalienborg a Saturday evening: Påsat brand foran kronprinsparrets hjem - Billed Bladet

A young man, described as not being ethnically Danish looking, went up to a sentry box outside M&F's mansion, poured some inflammable liquid on the sentry box and set fire to it.
The guards put out the fire almost at once using fire extinguishers. I guess they are stored in the sentry boxes or just inside the gates.
The man got away.
The police is not treating it as something more serious than an act of vandalism.

It is not known whether M&F were at home, but they were not in any danger. - And may not even have known about it until the next day.

- The guards from time to time have to take action against nutcases, drunks and what not, especially at night.
My guess is that this was a nutcase, someone high on something or a dare.

There are two sentry boxes outside each mansion and depending on circumstances, there are at any given time one or two guards outside each mansion as well as guards on permanent stand-by in the guards room, currently in the basement of the mansion which the Regent Couple occupy. - Once Frederik become king, the guard room will be moved to the mansion M&F live in.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the picture Mary took of the Riddarsalen their home?
I think it was part of the series of private pictures that she released around her 40th birthday.
I can't find it anymore.

Perhaps someone can offer an explanation?

Here is a scan of an ambulance entering a gate at Amalienborg: https://app.box.com/s/u3lkdrfobukg5rlt7jod

What on earth is an airforce ambulance doing at Amalienborg?
The logic thing would be to use an ambulance from Copenhagen Firebrigade (or whoever you use over there on the Devil's Island...;):p) the nearest airforce base is after all some distance away.

Last edited:
On April 15,1689, King Christian V celebrated his birthday at the Sophie Amalienborg Palace with the presentation of a German opera.:castle2:

Perhaps someone can offer an explanation?

Here is a scan of an ambulance entering a gate at Amalienborg: https://app.box.com/s/u3lkdrfobukg5rlt7jod

What on earth is an airforce ambulance doing at Amalienborg?
The logic thing would be to use an ambulance from Copenhagen Firebrigade (or whoever you use over there on the Devil's Island...;):p) the nearest airforce base is after all some distance away.

Could have been nearby when the call was made.

:previous: That's a very plausible answer.

Based on a Q&A in Billed Bladet I can add this trivia:

There is a fitness room at Amalienborg, which is used by the employees as well as the DRF, mostly, it is presumed, by M&F.
There is also a fitness room at Kancellihuset at Fredensborg.

And PH had some instruments of torture set up inside Fredensborg Palace itself, which he is supposed to be using. - Good for his weight and back, buuuut....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, if my post doesn't fit here.

My husband, my son (3,5 years old) and I want to travel this year to Copenhagen and I would like to visit Amalienborg together with my two boys.

Are there audio guides in German provided and does it make sense visiting Amalienborg with such a young child?

How exciting if you, your husband and son come to Copenhagen, Principessa :flowers:

I hope you will get warm sunny weather.. Then Copenhagen is the most beautiful city in the world (said by Dane, I know) I will suggest you to take a boat ride called "The Canal Tour", the boats sail to our biggest cultural attractions - Amalienborg Palace, the Opera House, Christiansborg, The Little Mermaid, Trekroner Fort etc.
http://www.stromma.dk/globalassets/...g/ctc_the-grand-tour/00_ct_the-grand-tour.jpg

Amalienborg Palace for a 3,5 year old? Well, lets face it, Amalienborg doesn't look like a real castle. It's four large square buildings placed opposite each other with a roundabout in the middle (Actually CP Frederik's own words). But I have had my own children with me and they had a great time - the guardsmen are always a hit. I would definitely suggest you to go see Amalienborg.
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/214/4/...kkorps-giver-koncert-i-haderslev-den-juli.jpg

Go and visit Nyhavn too - and have a lunch there. Very Danish and meget hyggeligt (very cozy) :)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Nyhavn_MichaD.jpg

Last edited:
Råd i taget på Amalienborg
An article about the roof of the mansion the Regent Couple live in at Amalienborg is now in such a sorry state that it must be fuly renovated.
The last time the roof was renovated was in 1937, so you can safely say it's about time!

The cost will no be covered by the DRF but by the state, as the state owns Amalienborg and exterior costs for repairs and maintanaince is covered by the state.

Here are a few of the photos I took of M and F's Amalienborg Palace.

These are from the back, as I'm sure most people who are interested would have seen the front in many other photos over the years.

Notice the gold crown on the "Alarm" sign.

This is the garden door that is on the street - across from the canal and the bus parking area.

Attachments

• IMG_7037.jpg
    IMG_7037.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_7157.jpg
    IMG_7157.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_7161.jpg
    IMG_7161.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_7181.jpg
    IMG_7181.jpg