The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwaxia View Post
The 'Palace & Property Agency' were the builders responsible for the project, cost 163,5 million kroner, in other words, the tax payers, over and above the annual apanage, this is common knowledge, and a fact.

('163,5 millioner har den aktuelle ombygning af Frederik VIII’s Palæ kostet os' from this link:
Det kongelige guldbur er fremragende renoveret - iBYEN.dk )
And it would have cost the same amount if the palace wouldn't be used by the CP-Couple, as it hasn't been restored since the time that King Frederik and Queen Ingrid moved into it.
By the way, noone ever claimed, that M&F paid for the exterior. Why should they, as the palaces belong to the state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Apart from that a foundation also subsidiced the artwork. I cannot remember the name off hand, but you can easily find the details.
Realdania

Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
And it would have cost the same amount if the palace wouldn't be used by the CP-Couple, as it hasn't been restored since the time that King Frederik and Queen Ingrid moved into it.
By the way, noone ever claimed, that M&F paid for the exterior. Why should they, as the palaces belong to the state?

Yes, you're right, the price would probably be the same, the occupants names would be irrelevant.

I don't recollect saying anything about anyone 'claiming' anything about the exterior....lost me there! I just quoted the price, and who paid for it.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Does it alter a fact if it's from a republican newspaper? - facts are facts.

If you read my post you will see that I posted a link to the fund that paid for the artwork, it's the first sentence...(post 188)

With reference to Billed Bladet, and the article on the furniture, you can find it on page 54 and 55, you missed the bit about the Artwork, so maybe you missed that too.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I'll write a summary and post it later on.
Interesting article, I must have been sleeping.

However, the furnitures that are being renovated (incidentally by carpenters employed by the DRF), are the furnitures they have at disposal, whether they come from a depot somewhere or whether they are a part of the furnitures left over from Queen Ingrid. I maintain, that most of these were old and beyond repair or no longer modern, according to the info I have.

As for the article you posted. That was an info. Politiken is a republican paper and the sentiments expressed by the author were pretty republican.

But I don't get you meaning.
The renovation of the palais was paid for by the state, because the building belongs to the state, right?
The building, including paintwork and ceillings were brought back to the style it had in the 1830's. That was the whole idea of the project, right?
The artworks are an integral part of the building and as such belongs to the state, correct?
Exterior maintanaince of the building is the responsibility of the state, right?
Interior maintanaince of the building, woodwork, walls, ceiling and general wear and tear, is the responsibility of M&F, right?
Purchasing and/or renovation of furnitures are paid for by the CP-Couple/DRF, right?
The state does not pay for furnitures to the new palais, right?

Ergo, the taxpayers/state does not pay for furnishing M&F's new home, right?

If the DRF use a part of their apanage to renovate and purchase furnitures and that is an argument for the taxpayers paying for their furnitures, then my employer has paid for my house and our furnitures, and our car. - That is of course nonsense.
You can compare the DRF to public employees and their apanage to their wages. What people do with their salary once their expences have been paid is really nobodys business. Royals or not.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Where did you get the information that the didn't pay for the interior?
Doesn't the palace belong to the state? They wouldn't be responsible for upkeep or repairs, or the fabric of the building - only the furnishings ... the state has to pay to upkeep its own building! Frederik is allowed a form of tenancy as a royal - but has no particular rights, and not ownership, isn't that the case?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal View Post
Doesn't the palace belong to the state? They wouldn't be responsible for upkeep or repairs, or the fabric of the building - only the furnishings ... the state has to pay to upkeep its own building! Frederik is allowed a form of tenancy as a royal - but has no particular rights, and not ownership, isn't that the case?
Absolutely.

Amalienborg belongs to the state.
Should the monarchy be abolished tomorrow, the DRF can only take their privatelly owned furnitures, privately owned artworks and other personal belongins with them.
Apart from their private apartments, the DRF are in principle hardly allowed to do anything more than very minor alterations, without approval by the state.

Only Chateau Cayz and Marselisborg Manor belongs to the DRF.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Absolutely.

Amalienborg belongs to the state.
Should the monarchy be abolished tomorrow, the DRF can only take their privatelly owned furnitures, privately owned artworks and other personal belongins with them.
Apart from their private apartments, the DRF are in principle hardly allowed to do anything more than very minor alterations, without approval by the state.

Only Chateau Cayz and Marselisborg Manor belongs to the DRF.

And Schackenborg.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And Schackenborg.
True. And Schackenborg.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I'll write a summary and post it later on.
Interesting article, I must have been sleeping.

However, the furnitures that are being renovated (incidentally by carpenters employed by the DRF), are the furnitures they have at disposal, whether they come from a depot somewhere or whether they are a part of the furnitures left over from Queen Ingrid. I maintain, that most of these were old and beyond repair or no longer modern, according to the info I have.

As for the article you posted. That was an info. Politiken is a republican paper and the sentiments expressed by the author were pretty republican.

But I don't get you meaning.
The renovation of the palais was paid for by the state, because the building belongs to the state, right?
The building, including paintwork and ceillings were brought back to the style it had in the 1830's. That was the whole idea of the project, right?
The artworks are an integral part of the building and as such belongs to the state, correct?
Exterior maintanaince of the building is the responsibility of the state, right?
Interior maintanaince of the building, woodwork, walls, ceiling and general wear and tear, is the responsibility of M&F, right?
Purchasing and/or renovation of furnitures are paid for by the CP-Couple/DRF, right?
The state does not pay for furnitures to the new palais, right?

Ergo, the taxpayers/state does not pay for furnishing M&F's new home, right?

If the DRF use a part of their apanage to renovate and purchase furnitures and that is an argument for the taxpayers paying for their furnitures, then my employer has paid for my house and our furnitures, and our car. - That is of course nonsense.
You can compare the DRF to public employees and their apanage to their wages. What people do with their salary once their expences have been paid is really nobodys business. Royals or not.

I did not remark about the 'republican' comments from Politiken, it was a reference to the expenditure, and I am sure the same information regarding the economics can be found in any other Danish newspapers archives if you care to look.

The subsequent interrogative content of your post is a conundrum.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I did not remark about the 'republican' comments from Politiken, it was a reference to the expenditure, and I am sure the same information regarding the economics can be found in any other Danish newspapers archives if you care to look.

The subsequent interrogative content of your post is a conundrum.
Oh, I was merely trying to figure out what your point is and where we are in agreement and where we disagree.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #50, 2010.
Kongelige snedkere - Royal carpenters.
Written by Trine Larsen. (Who usually deal with Joachim and Alexandra).
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige...0snedkere.aspx

Trine Larsen went to the DRF carpenters shop, where carpenters John Bøge, Finn Johansen and the apprentise Christian Heltoft are busy restoring a number of old furnitures to be used at M&F's new home in Frederik VIII's Palais.

A number of furnitures have been selected from the collection of appropriate furnitures from other palaces (and depots I presume). Before being put to use in the renovated palais they go trhough a make-over at the carpenters shop.
The hand-picked carpenters don't just restore old furnitures, they also make new ones. It is however also a question of whether it's worth it, when they restore furnitures. However, furnitures that have a special significanse to the DRF will in particular be selected for renovation.
At present they are among other things working on a 250 years old cupboard, which has its home at Marselisborg.

Some of the furnitures are very old and fragile and as they are actually used, accidents do happen. Especially chairs are at risk of being damaged, as people either tend to dumb themselves into the chairs or may be a little more heavy now than people were, when the chairs were designed...
Newly made chairs are more... rubust.

Different sorts of tree are of course an issue, when restoring old furnitures and John Bøge explains: "One thing is wear and tear, another thing is when the furnitures have been damage by for instance heat. After the palaces had central heating and the furnitures stand in rooms that are occupied, the wood can work and thus need a helping hand. Or a drawer can suddenly be difficult to pull out and a lock can begin to cause problems. That's why we also have all sorts of wood in store and some of it has been drying for ten - twenty years, so that is just right to be used. We have 250 differen sorts of wood and if we can get away with it, we use wood from the DRF's own gardens, for instance at Fredensborg, Marselisborg or Cayz. The Prince Consort is very careful about gathering rare wood from Cayz. - Because here we can always use old and rare garden-wood, if someone shjould happen to have something lying around".

Finn Johansen summons up his work: "To be here at the (wood)-shop and just work in this house with these furnitures is something every carpenter dreams of".

The shop is located in the Amalienborg palace complex.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Gentry

Nice article thanks for posting

Please excuse my spelling and gramar, I have dislexiya.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Aristocracy

I like alot of the pictures, I think I find the mirrors (in the one hall I think) interesting. Though to be honest I would be very nervous walking in those rooms I would be afraid I would walk into them. Some of the artwork is very nice and interesting.

I think that is the first palace I have seen with light wood floors, they tend to be either dark wood or some kind of marble. (well from what i can tell from pictures and videos). Though to be honest most of the ones I have seen are the British palaces. I would think those would show more wear and tear. Unless they plan to use alot of rugs which would look nice in the rooms.

Thank you everyone who does the translations of the articles. You guys do a better job then google does.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Aristocracy

I've seen the artwork and it is very beautiful.

The artists have been well aware that it is mostly official rooms to be used and to be representing Denmark.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelly View Post
I like alot of the pictures, I think I find the mirrors (in the one hall I think) interesting. Though to be honest I would be very nervous walking in those rooms I would be afraid I would walk into them. Some of the artwork is very nice and interesting.

I think that is the first palace I have seen with light wood floors, they tend to be either dark wood or some kind of marble. (well from what i can tell from pictures and videos). Though to be honest most of the ones I have seen are the British palaces. I would think those would show more wear and tear. Unless they plan to use alot of rugs which would look nice in the rooms.

Thank you everyone who does the translations of the articles. You guys do a better job then google does.
I love the floors! That light wood is gorgeous. I also like that staircase with the globe lights.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Serene Highness

The huge mirrors (I know it is metal ) and the painting from Frandsen are my favourites
Old 12-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your economic situation.

But I can assure you that the palace is state property. Mary has no influence in the restauration what so ever.

The pictures are very nice. It is very funny with the boxes on the floor and the family being placed in the picture by a very arty photographer.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was an article that mentioned Mary and Frederik approving the art work that is on display. I thought I read something about the couple rejecting a few of the pieces that were initially submitted.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatos View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was an article that mentioned Mary and Frederik approving the art work that is on display. I thought I read something about the couple rejecting a few of the pieces that were initially submitted.
I dont´t remember the sources, but i´'ve read that too.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Aristocracy

Metal ah ok, sorry I must of missed it in the article. I don't know but the palace comes off as a very friendly and welcoming. I do like the light wood, and I like the lights on the stairs to.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Aristocracy

Gatos and Antonietta
The danish government decided to spend the money.

Mary did not decide to spend the money on any restauration.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonieta View Post
I dont´t remember the sources, but i´'ve read that too.
That's correct.
One of artists changed the agreed layout of his artwork, so he had to redo it. I cannot remember the artists name off hand, but perhaps someone else can?

Tags
danish royal history, danish royal palaces, palaces, residences