Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My book arrived today...Would really help if I could read and understand Danish...There are a few photos but I think the words would shed more light on them...Kan du hjaelpe mig? ;) That is about all I have learnt

Try write the captions down and request a translation here. :)
A little help: Ø = oe, Æ = ae, Å = aa.

The Regent Couple live in one palace. M&F in another. A Third is a museum and the fourth have rooms for some ceremonial purposes and contains apartments for Benedikte and Joachim, perhaps Nathalie and Anne-Marie as well. Apart from that there are also guest rooms here and there.

Muhler, how large is Joachim & Marie's apartment? Didn't Frederick & Mary also have an apartment their (theey lived their during the renovations of their palace)..and how large was it & who is living their now?

Muhler, how large is Joachim & Marie's apartment? Didn't Frederick & Mary also have an apartment their (theey lived their during the renovations of their palace)..and how large was it & who is living their now?

Quite big, I understand.
Before he took over the apartment he uses now, he had an apartment above one of the gates in the palace. You know, the "wings" going from the mansions themselves and that became pretty cramped once he had a family, but he nevertheless lived there for periods with both wife and children.

Frederik's bachelor apartment at Amalienborg took up at least half a floor. But once he got married, he and Mary soon after moved to Kancellihuset at Fredenborg and that became their main home, so I guess for years that apartment was basically only used for sleeping after a late night, a change of clothes, a quick lunch and on one occasion a New Year party.

J&M´s apartment is on top of the palace with the museum :) And so is the apartment for Benedikte and Anne-Marie :)

There was a minor fire at Amalienborg Palace yesterday,suppose Mary and the kids were making pancakes for uncle Wills and Auntie Catherine...:p

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe

lucien said:
There was a minor fire at Amalienborg Palace yesterday,suppose Mary and the kids were making pancakes for uncle Wills and Auntie Catherine...:p

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe

I hope it wasn't anything serious otherwise its a cute gesture for the kids to do that for their aunt and uncle ;)

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #46, 2011.
Margrethe kan ikke bo på Amalienborg - Margrethe can't live at Amalienborg.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

In the 2. July this year, Denmark experienced a cloud burst and Copenhagen in particular suffered from the almost biblical rain - certainly in Danish terms. (*)
That led to the electricity going out at Amalienbor and also that water poured into the basements of all four mansions, and also in the administrative mansion, The Yellow Mansion, next to Amalieborg.
That led to severe damage in Christian IX's Mansion, where the Regent Couple resides. The kitchen, the laders, the staff dining room were among the rooms suffering from severe water damage.
That means that QMII and PH will remain at Fredenborg for some time yet, rather than moving into Amalienborg as they usually do every winter. (**)
The Regent Couple is expected to move in at Amalienborg around New Year. When the renovations have been completed. Actually they are supposed to return to Amalienborg on day of New Year, a few hours before QMII delivers her live New Year speech at 18.00.

The rooms have been dryied up again and that takes time due to the thick walls of the mansions and the damages have been surveyed. Floors several hundred years old have been ruined and have had to be replaced.
The steward of the mansion, Jens Greve reassure us: "Easy now. We will be ready for the coronation jubilee. We work as much as we can. Both the mansion of the Queen and the mansion where the guests will saty, will be ready. I guarantee that".

It wasn't just wooden floors that were ruined. The new excersize room, used by the staff (as well as members of the DRF) was affected too. The instruments of torture there were litterally drowned.
Rooms with silverware were also affected, so a lot of polishing has probably taken place as well.
It appears M&F's mansion suffered the least.

(*) The weather really is getting weird! Noticably in the last ten fifteen years. When I was a child and young, such torrential rains was a sensation. Now it's a yearly occurance, happening several times a year.
When severe storms happened it was something you talked about for years, now such storms are almost also yearly events.
There is in my eyes little doubt that the climate seems to be changing. - If that is so, and the main reason is human activities, we can at least do something about it.
However, if this is a natural fluctuation, and I believe it is, we are pretty much screwed.

(**) Actually the Regent Couple stay longer and longer at Fredensborg as the years go by.

Last edited:
Has anyone visited it and what is it like because like Buckingham palace I hope to visit amalienborg in the future.

Do they also have "guest" suites.............
During the Queen's 40th celebrations they had numerous visitors from other countries, did they all stay at the Palace, or did they stay at hotels in the area ?
What about their hair-stylists, dressers, security teams..?

Do they also have "guest" suites.............
During the Queen's 40th celebrations they had numerous visitors from other countries, did they all stay at the Palace, or did they stay at hotels in the area ?
What about their hair-stylists, dressers, security teams..?

There are guests suites at Amalienborg as well as at Fredensborg. There the most important guests will stay.
Most staff members will probably have to settle with a hotelroom somewhere or more modest accommodation in one of the palaces.

Hairdresser, stylists and advisors must be considered staff.
Security is the responsibillity of the Danish police even though some high profile guests maintain their own security cordon.

According to international guidelines. A delegation at an official statevisit is defined as twenty persons. They will be fed, accommodated and cared for at the expense of the host nation. The visiting nation will have to foot the bill for more than twenty members. (We learned that little detail in the documentary of the DRF behind the scenes).

However, it's more likely that the NRF and SRF only brought with them a minimum of staff. My estimation is as follows:
Perhaps a senior court member.
A couple of adjutants.
A couple of LiWs or someone equivalent to that.
Two to four bodyguards.
A valet.
A chambermaid.
A hairdresser/stylist.

Has anyone visited it and what is it like because like Buckingham palace I hope to visit amalienborg in the future.

I have visited Christian VII. Palais when i was in Copenhagen some years ago. it is the one which is used for official representation and has guestrooms. There are guided tours during the Summer Months. It is really beautful inside.
Sometimes there are also guided Tours through Christian VIII. Paialis and there is also the Amalienborg Museum in it.
Chritian IX. and Frederik VIII. Palais can not be visited as it are the Residences of the Royal Couple and the Crown Princely Couple.

A Google view of Amalienborg and surroundings, with some additional details:
Amalienborg and surroundings - Kopi.JPG - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

A more detailed view with additional info: http://www.box.com/s/m7qm4hyqp1njuurvdlc9

(You should know the drill by now. Always go full screen first, allowing the file a few seconds to load, then use the slider to zoom in).

(Perhaps a moderator will be so kind and delete the previous post?)

Updated floorplans, part one.

Mezzanin, the private apartment of M&F.
The floor with the small row of windows, right beneath the roof.
This is a screencap from a documentary, hence the poor quality.

Floorplan - Mezzanin - copy 2.jpg - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
1: (Can't remember and can't read it).
2: Nanny.
3: Children's bedroom.
4: Children's bedroom.
5: Frederik's dressing room.
6: M&F's bedroom.
7: Mary's dressing room.
8: (Can't remember and can't read it).
9: Mending room for the chambermaid.
- There are two rooms to the lower left, which are presumably guests rooms for the most personal friends and family.

There are additional guestrooms upstairs, and perhaps Christian and Isabella now have their rooms up there as well?
Frederik and Joachim lived in the "attic" as children and young. - They sometimes climbed out on the roof, freaking out their nanny, Else Pedersen.

Updated floorplans, part two.

(For this, I'll need a bit of help and if someone will provide more details, please do so :)).
(Some editing has already taken place, thanks to FasterB :flowers:).

The two lower (official) floors of M&F's residence. floorplan.jpg - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

We start at the first floor:
1: Main staircase. Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparrets nye Amalienborg
2: Meeting room. With the psycedelic ceiling. Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparrets nye Amalienborg
3: Havesal = Garden Room. http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2010/2/Kronprinsparrets nye bolig - 12.aspx
4: Butler's pantry, with the painting of Bambi being shot. Note the foodlift from the basement. Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparrets nye Amalienborg
5: Trongemak. Music and reading. - http://i2-images4.tv2net.dk/s/26/19673126-f7b2d4858d5312c8feb0fd0718414cef.jpeg
6: The terrace.
7: Waiting room, presumably with a secretary.
8: Mary's office. - The Erik Frandsen painting behind her desk. http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010060041A1328429291736794
9: Riddersal = Knights Hall/Great Hall. Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparrets nye Amalienborg And furnished? http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010010091W13285180712544851
10: (Don't know).
11: The private dining room. Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparrets nye Amalienborg
12: M&F's private kitchen. (The working kitchen's are located in the basement). http://www.purepeople.com/media/le-prince-vincent-et-la-princesse_m772519
13: M&F's private and very light living room.
14: The day-to-day staircase with the lamps, and toilets. Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparrets nye Amalienborg

Ground floor:
15: Main entrance.
16: Entrance hall and presumably wardrobe for official guests.
17: Hall.
18: Secretaries.
19: Basically a waiting room, before going to see Frederik. With adjutant?
20: Gobelinsal = Hall of Tapestries. http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2010/2/Kronprinsparrets nye bolig - 25.aspx
21: Vestibule. Designed as an impressive and stylish little walk to Frederik's office. - The world map painting. Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparrets nye Amalienborg
22: (Can't remember).
23: Frederik's office. Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparrets nye Amalienborg
24: The grand dining room. With the chandaliers and mirrors. Notice the pantry to the right, with stairs down to the kitchen. Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsparrets nye Amalienborg
25: Service entrance.
26: PET on duty and portner?
27: Presumably an additional guest room, or more likely accomodation for senior staff. Copy-room, daily depot for secretaries, coffee room for personal staff, secretaries and so on.

- As you can tell there are a couple of blanks.
I would be happy if someone will add details about the function of some of the rooms, and not least the artwork in those room. - I could dig it up myself, but I'm too lazy. :p

Last edited:
As an interior designer and architect, I found this extremely interesting! Thanks for the explainations and translations!

thank you muhler, very interesting. from what I see from the birthday-pictures of the twins, I guess they removed the wall between the private kitchen and the dining room in order to have an open space as it is usual today in modern houses.

Last edited:
You're a treasure, FasterB :flowers:

Now, you've been there. Can you, or someone else, identify the room Mary is in in this pic: Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Grey walls. Which means that it is not Trongemakket.

And this: Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Grey walls? Mirrors, chandeliers.
My best guess is that they are from Riddersalen :flowers:
It looks like the couch from this photo from Berlingske - Thanks to member Roskilde :flowers:

PS Du har postet samme billede to gange, er det meningen? :whistling:

Last edited:
My best guess is that is from Riddersalen :flowers:
It looks like the couch from this photo from Berlingske - Thanks to member Roskilde :flowers:

PS Du har postet samme billede to gange, er det meningen? :whistling:

Fixed.
Can't help it, you know. My chromosomes prevents me from multi-tasking. :whistling::p

And that's why I have you to help, FasterB :D

Thanks Muhler for your work in getting this information to your devoted readers! With regard to your question 'where is this', my guess, based on the colour and 'gut instinct' (heavily influenced by the comfy sofa) would be the 'music/reading room'.:whistling:
It can´t be the music/reading room, ´cause that room has purple walls and don´t have the straight lines on the "pillars" :flowers:

Fixed.
Can't help it, you know. My chromosomes prevents me from multi-tasking. :whistling::p

And that's why I have you to help, FasterB :D
:lol::whistling::lol: But of course :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for all the photos and explanations! it is such a big place that I wonder how it is for the kids from their bedroom in themorning to go downstairs to the kitchen is seems a long way! now wonder they will nedd 2 more rooms for the twins when they grow! the livingroom next to the kitchen probably more a familly rooms make sense, probaly is where they spend more time there, tv, music, etc......

Do the Crown Prince Couple live in Amalienborg all year round or do they move to another castle for the summer? And how long do they stay there?

Do the Crown Prince Couple live in Amalienborg all year round or do they move to another castle for the summer? And how long do they stay there?

They live at Fredensborg just outside Copenhagen.

They live at Fredensborg just outside Copenhagen.
This is partially correct. They lived at Fredensborg from 2004 until the winter of 2010 (before the birth of the twins). The now live full time at Frederik VIII's palace at Amalienborg.:flowers:

Terri Terri said:
This is partially correct. They lived at Fredensborg from 2004 until the winter of 2010 (before the birth of the twins). The now live full time at Frederik VIII's palace at Amalienborg.:flowers:

I thought they also kept the Fredensborg residence (Chancellory House) and divide their time....Especially as there are a lot of outdoor opportunities for the children at Fredensborg property.

I think they kept it, but not using like in previous years. Queen and P Henrik can switch the palaces but for family with 4 young children (2 in school) it would be totally unreasonable.

:previous: Agree.

Especially as long as the twins are so young.

As it is now, M&F can walk up the stairs from their office if the twins need some attention. It's simply more convenient than having the twins at Fredensborg and M&F at work in Copenhagen, an hour away.

But in a couple of years when the twins start in the nursery, I think we will see M&F use Kancellihuset as a regular sommer/weekend-retreat. After all it's a great place for the children.

I thought they also kept the Fredensborg residence (Chancellory House) and divide their time....Especially as there are a lot of outdoor opportunities for the children at Fredensborg property.
Yes, what outdoor opportunities does Amelienborg Palace have for the kids?

Is the only outdoor space they have at amalienborg only the palace back yard or do they go elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom