Windsor Castle

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BAD SERIES - It is more like the Fiona Bruce show. I thought the Buckingham Palace episode was rather dull and boring as well. How many time did she look to the ceilings and so? Damn,...

Windsor Castle is by far my favourite Royal Residence. It's so beautiful, and St George's Chapel is so stunning. I wish to get married there, ahahaha.

Queen finally goes green as Windsor Castle turns to hydroelectric power - Telegraph

After several failed attempts, the Queen will finally go green today when the final turbine will be installed on a new hydroelectric scheme to power Windsor Castle. The second of two 40 tonne Archimedes screws will be lowered into place on the River Thames. The massive £1.7 million hydroelectric project is expected to start generating electricity from the New Year, powering Windsor Castle as well as more than 300 homes. It has taken years for the scheme to get off the ground after previous attempts failed because of problems with funding.

The Queen already has a hydroelectric plant in Balmoral and the Prince of Wales has installed solar panels and wood chip boilers across his estate – although he is less keen on the aesthetic of wind turbines. However the Archimedes screws are the biggest project to date as part of a wider drive by the Royal Household to both cut bills and reduce their carbon footprint.The Queen has struck a deal with a power company to buy the electricity generated by the turbines to heat and light her home. Though details are confidential The Queen will save "a huge amount" on her electricity from the hydro scheme under the deal.

Merry waves of Windsor: Green Queen uses water power to run her castle | Mail Online

...Yesterday two giant turbines – based on a 2,000-year-old design by Greek mathematician and engineer Archimedes of Syracuse – were lifted into the River Thames to generate power for Windsor Castle. Lowered into Romney Weir by crane after months of preparation, the pair of 40-ton steel 'screws' will provide almost all the electricity needs of the royal estate. The Archimedes screws have cost £700,000 each to make and another £1million to install. They will provide the palace's power needs – the equivalent of 400 homes – for up to 90 per cent of the time.

One of my favorite British total residences! It maybe old and built a ling time ago but the inside is beautiful with the inside being designed by every monarch during their time and in the end it come out looking spectacular;)

windsor castle floor plans

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have detailed plans of the castles middle and lower wards similar to the ones posted here of the upper ward?

Thank you

Windsor castle was built by William the conquer and since the castle has been designed and remodeled during every reign and it went from wood to stone but nonetheless Windsor castle is one of my all time favorite British royal residences and hope to visit someday as I am planning on going to London.

Isn't that supposed to be the Queen's favorite residence? I always remember the anecdotes about how William would pop over for tea from Eton with his Granny one day a week so she could give him lessons on constitutional history.

Last edited:
I just love the Jubilee - we're getting so much information about the Queen, her life, the jewels, the Royal Family, history, the residences and various and sundry data that ordinarily we wouldn't have if it weren't for this major event.

Last edited:
Such a cute little cottage, I remember seeing a photo of princess Elizabeth at the doorstep of the cottage, it looks so homey. Could even be a guest house I think.

Thanks so much for your insightful article on Windsor Castle. I think out of all the royal residences, Windsor is my very favorite. If only the walls could talk eh? Its seen the good and the bad and all the ups and downs over the centuries but has remained standing steadfast through it all. Truly a fitting symbol of the House of Windsor and the monarchy.

If I had the opition of living in London in a monstrous home with hardly any privacy, or at Windsor, in the country, near a (reasonably) small city, there wouldn't be a contest. Buckingham Palace would be used to kiss hands with the PM and recieve heads of state. I'd live at Windsor in the spring and earrly summer, Balmoral in the late summer, Walmer Castle in the fall (I know it's for the Lord Warden, but I'd take over as Sovereign again), and Sandringham from Christmas until March.

democratnmonocole said:
If I had the opition of living in London in a monstrous home with hardly any privacy, or at Windsor, in the country, near a (reasonably) small city, there wouldn't be a contest. Buckingham Palace would be used to kiss hands with the PM and recieve heads of state. I'd live at Windsor in the spring and earrly summer, Balmoral in the late summer, Walmer Castle in the fall (I know it's for the Lord Warden, but I'd take over as Sovereign again), and Sandringham from Christmas until March.

You do realise that's what the Queen does? I suspect she's at Windsor more than at BP.

As it is under the direct flight path to Heathrow it does have the disadvantage of planes low overhead all day and night.

The Queen has a regular routine now - Monday to Thursday at BP and then either Thursday or Friday down to Windsor for the weekend from late September to late November and again from mid-February to July. Balmoral for August and September and Sandringham from late November to mid-February.

She also has a week at Holyrood House in July.

She already has five homes. She doesn't need to add Walmer Castle to the list.

You do realise that's what the Queen does? I suspect she's at Windsor more than at BP.
If you had actually bothered to take the ten seconds OR LESS required to read what I wrote, rather than engaging in a petty and self-indulgent tangent, you would know that what I wrote was how *I* would divide up my time between the royal residences, not what *The Queen* currently does.

As it is under the direct flight path to Heathrow it does have the disadvantage of planes low overhead all day and night.

The Queen has a regular routine now - Monday to Thursday at BP and then either Thursday or Friday down to Windsor for the weekend from late September to late November and again from mid-February to July. Balmoral for August and September and Sandringham from late November to mid-February.

She also has a week at Holyrood House in July.

She already has five homes. She doesn't need to add Walmer Castle to the list.

I am well aware of what Her Majesty does. If you had bothered to take less than ten seconds to actually READ what I wrote, rather than engaging in a petty and petulant tirade, you would have know that I was saying what *I* would do if I were the Sovereign, besides requiring everyone to actually READ what people write in The Royal Forums, rather than inventing what posters would like other posters to have written. And the Queen actually spends Monday or Tuesday (reports vary) to Thursday in residence at Buckingham Palace. On the other hand, I would move the Court to Windsor Castle (ie. Ambassadors would be accredited to the Court of Windsor, not St. James's) and would drive to London to receive the PM and the Privy Council on Tuesdays, then turn right round and go back to Windsor. The remainder of my routine would remain unaltered as laid out in a previous post. :)

I am well aware of what Her Majesty does. If you had bothered to take less than ten seconds to actually READ what I wrote, rather than engaging in a petty and petulant tirade, you would have know that I was saying what *I* would do if I were the Sovereign, besides requiring everyone to actually READ what people write in The Royal Forums, rather than inventing what posters would like other posters to have written. And the Queen actually spends Monday or Tuesday (reports vary) to Thursday in residence at Buckingham Palace. On the other hand, I would move the Court to Windsor Castle (ie. Ambassadors would be accredited to the Court of Windsor, not St. James's) and would drive to London to receive the PM and the Privy Council on Tuesdays, then turn right round and go back to Windsor. The remainder of my routine would remain unaltered as laid out in a previous post. :)

Well when you become The King, you can set out your plan nicely ;)

In this short video, Royal Collection Trust conservator, David Wheeler, begins the process of conserving an 18th century vase from the Royal Collection:

Very Interesting Tips on How to Restore Porcelain-

Royal Collection Trust: Restoring Porcelain, Part 1 - YouTube

Royal Collection Trust: Restoring Porcelain, Part 2 - YouTube

Royal Collection Trust: Restoring Porcelain, Part 3 - YouTube

Royal Collection Trust: Restoring Porcelain, Part 4 - YouTube

Royal Collection Trust: Restoring Porcelain, Part 5 - YouTube

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 56m
'Willow arches' have been installed along the Long Walk, Windsor Castle, marking 60th anniversary of HM's coronation. pic.twitter.com/bRJhkIWynq

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 56m
'Willow arches' have been installed along the Long Walk, Windsor Castle, marking 60th anniversary of HM's coronation. pic.twitter.com/bRJhkIWynq

Thanks for the share - this is a wonderful installation. The craftsmanship is spectacular. I wonder how far down into the ground they are anchored? Te DM also did a piece on this and it has a number of pictures. I found myself imagining the arches in the rain or in snow - it would make lovely patterns and visuals.
Six spectacular willow arches unveiled outside Windsor Castle to mark 60th anniversary of Queen's Coronation | Mail Online

On the outer walls at the southeast corner of Windsor Castle is the Queen's Tower. The Queen's Tower at one time was called the Victoria Tower.

In 1416 King Henry V feted the Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund at Windsor Castle to enlist Sigismund's support for the English claim to France.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

King Henry II often stayed at Windsor Castle.
In 1175 he had the outer stone curtain wall built so that more troops could be garrisoned there. :yeoman::yeoman:

Queen Elizabeth I was very fond of Windsor Castle.
Sometimes she stayed there the whole of autumn and Christmas.
Shakespeare wrote The Merry Wives of Windsor to please Queen Elizabeth.

In Castles of Britain and Ireland, Rodney Castleden wrote:

There is also an outstanding art collection, including works by Leonardo, Rembrandt, Rubens and Van Dyck.

What are some of the works of Leonardo, Rembrandt, Rubens and Van Dyck at Windsor Castle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom