The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Nobility

BAD SERIES - It is more like the Fiona Bruce show. I thought the Buckingham Palace episode was rather dull and boring as well. How many time did she look to the ceilings and so? Damn,...

Old 09-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Windsor Castle is by far my favourite Royal Residence. It's so beautiful, and St George's Chapel is so stunning. I wish to get married there, ahahaha.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 AM
Administrator

Queen finally goes green as Windsor Castle turns to hydroelectric power - Telegraph

After several failed attempts, the Queen will finally go green today when the final turbine will be installed on a new hydroelectric scheme to power Windsor Castle. The second of two 40 tonne Archimedes screws will be lowered into place on the River Thames. The massive £1.7 million hydroelectric project is expected to start generating electricity from the New Year, powering Windsor Castle as well as more than 300 homes. It has taken years for the scheme to get off the ground after previous attempts failed because of problems with funding.

The Queen already has a hydroelectric plant in Balmoral and the Prince of Wales has installed solar panels and wood chip boilers across his estate – although he is less keen on the aesthetic of wind turbines. However the Archimedes screws are the biggest project to date as part of a wider drive by the Royal Household to both cut bills and reduce their carbon footprint.The Queen has struck a deal with a power company to buy the electricity generated by the turbines to heat and light her home. Though details are confidential The Queen will save "a huge amount" on her electricity from the hydro scheme under the deal.

Merry waves of Windsor: Green Queen uses water power to run her castle | Mail Online

...Yesterday two giant turbines – based on a 2,000-year-old design by Greek mathematician and engineer Archimedes of Syracuse – were lifted into the River Thames to generate power for Windsor Castle. Lowered into Romney Weir by crane after months of preparation, the pair of 40-ton steel 'screws' will provide almost all the electricity needs of the royal estate. The Archimedes screws have cost £700,000 each to make and another £1million to install. They will provide the palace's power needs – the equivalent of 400 homes – for up to 90 per cent of the time.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I bet Charles is beaming ear to ear on this one too. Its fantastic!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Serene Highness

One of my favorite British total residences! It maybe old and built a ling time ago but the inside is beautiful with the inside being designed by every monarch during their time and in the end it come out looking spectacular
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM

windsor castle floor plans

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have detailed plans of the castles middle and lower wards similar to the ones posted here of the upper ward?

Thank you
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Serene Highness

Windsor castle was built by William the conquer and since the castle has been designed and remodeled during every reign and it went from wood to stone but nonetheless Windsor castle is one of my all time favorite British royal residences and hope to visit someday as I am planning on going to London.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Isn't that supposed to be the Queen's favorite residence? I always remember the anecdotes about how William would pop over for tea from Eton with his Granny one day a week so she could give him lessons on constitutional history.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatus View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have detailed plans of the castles middle and lower wards similar to the ones posted here of the upper ward?

Thank you
Old-Maps - the online repository of historic maps - maps page

click on the right side '1871 Town Plans - Windsor' and you can see floorplan of ground floor of middle and lower ward of the castle.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Courtier

The cutest house on Windsor grounds
A Wendy house fit for a Queen: The secrets and history of the tiny Welsh cottage in the grounds of Windsor where generations of royals have played | Mail Online

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=51.438...0Bwthyn%20Bach
Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a great story. Also, can I just say that the more I see of the York girls, the more I enjoy them?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I just love the Jubilee - we're getting so much information about the Queen, her life, the jewels, the Royal Family, history, the residences and various and sundry data that ordinarily we wouldn't have if it weren't for this major event.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

Such a cute little cottage, I remember seeing a photo of princess Elizabeth at the doorstep of the cottage, it looks so homey. Could even be a guest house I think.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

The 20th Anniversary of the Windsor castle fire

The 20th Anniversary of the Windsor Castle Fire | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynHarris View Post
Gosh I can remember watching it live on Sky News,hard to believe 20 years have passed!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynHarris View Post
Thanks so much for your insightful article on Windsor Castle. I think out of all the royal residences, Windsor is my very favorite. If only the walls could talk eh? Its seen the good and the bad and all the ups and downs over the centuries but has remained standing steadfast through it all. Truly a fitting symbol of the House of Windsor and the monarchy.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Commoner

If I had the opition of living in London in a monstrous home with hardly any privacy, or at Windsor, in the country, near a (reasonably) small city, there wouldn't be a contest. Buckingham Palace would be used to kiss hands with the PM and recieve heads of state. I'd live at Windsor in the spring and earrly summer, Balmoral in the late summer, Walmer Castle in the fall (I know it's for the Lord Warden, but I'd take over as Sovereign again), and Sandringham from Christmas until March.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by democratnmonocole
If I had the opition of living in London in a monstrous home with hardly any privacy, or at Windsor, in the country, near a (reasonably) small city, there wouldn't be a contest. Buckingham Palace would be used to kiss hands with the PM and recieve heads of state. I'd live at Windsor in the spring and earrly summer, Balmoral in the late summer, Walmer Castle in the fall (I know it's for the Lord Warden, but I'd take over as Sovereign again), and Sandringham from Christmas until March.
You do realise that's what the Queen does? I suspect she's at Windsor more than at BP.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Majesty

As it is under the direct flight path to Heathrow it does have the disadvantage of planes low overhead all day and night.

The Queen has a regular routine now - Monday to Thursday at BP and then either Thursday or Friday down to Windsor for the weekend from late September to late November and again from mid-February to July. Balmoral for August and September and Sandringham from late November to mid-February.

She also has a week at Holyrood House in July.

She already has five homes. She doesn't need to add Walmer Castle to the list.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You do realise that's what the Queen does? I suspect she's at Windsor more than at BP.
I am well aware of what the Queen does. If you had bothered to take the ten seconds or less to actually READ

Tags
windsor castle virtual tour photo