The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The Duke asks them to clear up the mess they had left, they then decide to douse it in petrol and suddenly it is the Dukes fault!
Exactly my thoughts.... sounded like a story in the DM though!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

How many Rooms are in Windsor Castle??

Old 04-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

anyone knows aboutthe appartments build next to windeser castle, i think actually were in the grounds of wideser castle and the queen gave this appartments to peope who was in the second war?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Courtier

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5357626/Windsor-Castle-antique-furniture-to-be-sold-at-auction.html
Old 05-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Exactly my thoughts.... sounded like a story in the DM though!
I would expect that they have chain saws and wood chippers in the U.K., too? (Or is that just my colonial frame of mind?)

Has anyone heard any follow-up about the couple having sex on the Queen's lawn?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Here's a great picture of Windsor Castle from Wiki showing its vast extent...

Windsor Castle from the air

(when the pic comes up, click on it again to make it even bigger!)

Old 07-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Woah! thats Enormous
Old 08-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kleine Zeitung.de is reporting that in the park of Windsor Castle the European Championship of riding will be hold. On Sunday, Queen Elizabeth II, will attend the Championship.

Reit-EM im Privatpark der Königin > Kleine Zeitung
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Serene Highness

I had the pleasure of traveling to England in 1988 and walked near Windsor Castle. I loved the collection of buildings outside the Castle's gates and if memory serves, isn't there a statue of Queen Victoria near one of the gates?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

http://www.windsor-berkshire.co.uk/images/castle2.jpg

This statue?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, that's it! Thank you so very much. Some day I hope to return to England and try to do some genealogical research. I recently discovered through the census records that my great-grandfather was in service to the Dowager Countess? of Antrim in the late nineteenth century.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Louisa McDonnell?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I believe the surname was McDonnell, I thought the first name was Laura or maybe that was the name of a daughter who resided in the household. My papers are scattered at the moment but my grandfather was staying with his grandfather the night the census was taken. But we are getting off topic, I'm afraid, sorry to the group.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Commoner

Windsor Castle Book-THE BEST

I just got a book from the library: For The King's Pleasure, The Furnishing and Decoration of George IV's Apartments at Windsor Castle By: Hugh Roberts Published 2001 by Royal Collection Enterprises Ltd.

It is simply the BEST book I have ever come across, if you are interested in the UNSEEN sections of the Castle. It talks all about the renovations that George IV started in the 1820's and focuses on the rebuilding and decoration of the Private Apartments. It has some of the best pictures, paintings and drawings of the almost all the rooms on the East and South wings of the Castle. Most of which I have never seen before. It has paintings and drawings and detailed descriptions of almost all those rooms and present day photographs of all the rooms in the East wing from the North wing down to where the White Drawing Room. But it is the detailed Map of the Private Apartments and Drawings and Paintings of those rooms that I have never seen before. I never thought that there was even a book out there that would show you that.

I wish I knew how to scan and load, at least the map of the Private Apartments, but sorry I do not.

I have recently found out that you can request books from the Public Library. If they do not have the book you can ask them to locate the book in just about any public library or university library in the USA. I have been getting and looking at and reading books that I never thought that I would see, because my local public library system would never have and I would never be able to afford to buy. Like this book about Windsor Castle retails on Amazon for $95.00 new and $82 used. I never could afford that. I have gotten books, this way, that sell for $200.00 to $300.00.

If you can get your hands on this book, I swear, you will be thanking your lucky stars.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness

Sounds like a wonderful book. I will be looking for a copy.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Commoner

Oil under Windsor

I recently came across an article from 1994 stating that oil might have been discovered on the grounds of the castle. I tried to find out the out come of the exploration but came up with nothing. Does any have any more information about this?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Commoner

I found a small mention of the possibility of oil under the castle on Wikipedia's listing on Windsor Castle. They said the Queen had given the ok to drill an exploratory well, but I have not been able, so far, to find anything about the outcome.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Can you provide the article, because the Wikipedia I'm looking at doesn't mention anything about oil.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:40 AM

Virtual tours

I found this website with marvellous 360° virtual tours and photos of different sites in and around Windsor. Click on Map view for all places. http://www.windsor360.com
Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

Windsor Castle's Round Tower to open for first time in 40 years
Windsor Castle's Round Tower to open for first time in 40 years - Telegraph

Tags
windsor castle virtual tour photo