The Tower of London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Historical Royal Palaces have launched online curator talks. Tonight 7.00pm on 7th October, the talk was about Tower Of London and the trail of Anne Boleyn

Historic Royal Palaces @HRP_palaces
We’re back for our autumn series of online curator talks! [Party popper] Tonight we're venturing into the @TowerOfLondon on the trail of Anne Boleyn...
Join our all-star lineup of HRP curators @Lucy_Worsley, @TracyBorman and Jane Spooner at 7pm BST [Right pointing backhand index] http://bit.ly/boleyn-talk
7:59 PM · Oct 7, 2020·Twitter Web App​

Link to the registration, including some introduction: https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/whats-on/last-days-of-anne-boleyn/#gs.i5ailg

According to Historic Royal Palaces' twitter account, the recording of this talk will be available to watch for 24 hours after the recording.

Oh how awesome!! I missed this live, but as it's in the middle of the day in NY, I could listen in the future. I LOVE Lucy Worsley and Tracey Borman.

I hope there will be more talks scheduled!

It's sad to think that Merlina may be dead. However, the Ravens at the Tower don't always hang around the Tower buildings. Some fly away sometimes in search of mates or to explore new environs and every now and again they stay away for good or are never seen again.

:previous:
I thought their wings were clipped so they couldn't fly.

:previous: No, their wings aren't clipped nowadays. They were said to be clipped in 1940-41 when Britain feared invasion. There were few Ravens there and Churchill, aware of the legend that England would fall when there were no more Ravens at the Tower, ordered their wings clipped as they were in the habit of flying away.

Not now though. They enjoy the company of tourists but on occasion some have gone missing. I remember a tale of a male Tower Raven who set up a new home in the East End near a pet shop years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...on-tourist-numbers-fall-legend-birds-monarchy

I saw this on the news earlier it said Merlina has been there at the Tower since 2007.

I wonder how long ravens live? I read that they have the IQ of a seven year old and can recognize human faces.

Just looked it up. The common raven lives 10-15 years and the Australian raven lives for up to 22 years.

Now I can happily cross off my "learn something new today" box. ?

Could it be Corvid?

I'd say it's more likely to be old age than anything like Covid. She perhaps flew a longer distance than usual and couldn't make it back, and her body has gone unnoticed with so relatively few people about, though all the Tower ravens wear leg tags.

One of the ravens was brought back to the Tower from Greenwich some years ago, spotted by an observant member of the public.

And one of them at least could mimic the human voice, and said 'Good Morning' to Vladimir Putin and his entourage when he visited the Tower in 2004, to the astonishment of the Russians.

Last edited:
:previous:
Okay, it wasn't a very good pun by me. ?

The bird has probably been eaten or died of old age.

I wonder how long ravens live? I read that they have the IQ of a seven year old and can recognize human faces.

Corvids are very intelligent!
The brightest being crows and magpies. I guess ravens are high up there as well.
They do recognize faces. I can testify to that personally. The local magpies sure know who I am, I'm the biped who feed them cheese. (Birds are crazy about cheese, I can recommend it. Especially cheese used for pizza-toppings. Easy to eat and carry away for the small birds.) So it often happens they fly in and sit a few meters away: Got any cheese?
They couldn't care less about my wife and daughter.
Magpies also know what a gun is, or anything resembling a gun, like a stick. They go into hiding on the spot, otherwise you see them all over the place not being the least bit concerned about humans.
I have also seen magpies cooperate and outwit cats, dogs and gulls.
Crows have a tendency to go for the tail of a cat, driving it way that way. In return I've seen a cat try to lure a crow closer, using its tail as bait. The crow didn't fall for it.

I don't think wild Corvids are as intelligent as a seven year old, but they can certainly match a three year old, and the brightest appears to match the intelligence of a four or five year old.

Even more impressive, they tell their buddies about humans who are untrustworthy or trustworthy!
If you go for a walk then you can easily tell if the magpies really don't like you. Their warning calls will follow you. But you won't see them.

But the death-rate for magpie hatchlings is very high! They are very noisy and clingy to their parents once they have learned to fly, attracting attention.

They are fascinating to watch.

Last edited:
Not Australian magpies, Muhler. They don't get out of the way of anyone, whether you're carrying a stick or not! And watch out in the nesting season! Especially if you happen to be on a bike! As below!

Actually, I think Charles Dickens had a family pet Raven called Grip, who was extremely intelligent and who fascinated him. There was a Tower Raven called Grip as well, after the Barnaby Rudge bird.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20150820-the-mysterious-tale-of-charles-dickenss-raven

Last edited:
In May 1536 it was reported at the Execution of Anne Boleyn

"Even the ravens of the Tower sat silent and immovable on the battlements and gazed eerily at the strange scene. A Queen about to die!"

At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, 1.5 tons of gold, gilt and silver from the treasures of Buckfast Abbey were delivered to the Tower of London.
What was done with the gold, gilt and silver?

The Mint was situated in the Tower of London until 1810 so probably most of the gold and silver was used to increase the coinage. The King or some high officials may have utilised the gilt on objects like goblets and bowls for their own use.

An interesting insight into the Byward Angel which is a 14th century painting which survived and is found inside a chamber at the Byward Tower at the Tower of London.

What a miraculous survivor! Presumably the figure of Christ was destroyed at the Reformation.

The face of St Michael is very reminiscent of figures from the Wilton triptych. Also from the late C14th. Such a pity we will never know who the artist was or how much of their work is lost to history.

https://www.artfund.org/supporting-museums/art-weve-helped-buy/artwork/4699/the-wilton-diptych

The Tudor Chimney breast and Tudor rose Rose presumably cover the figure of Christ and miraculously the figures of John the Baptist, Our Lady and St John the Evangelist survived .

I'd imagine all were whitewashed over by the Reformers.

Thank you, extremely interesting and lovely. I like Jane Spooner as an historian.

This was wonderful to watch and now I wish that I could return to the Tower of London to see these wall paintings in person.

Its a virtually unknown and hidden treasure at the tower, I had never heard of it prior to watching the video.

Four baby raven chicks were recently born from their raven parents Huginn and Muninn at May 2021. Two of the ravens have been rehoused, whilst the other two remains in The Tower of London. The baby ravens that remained in The Tower of London are named Edgar and Branwen.

The Tower of London @TowerOfLondon
Well this is exciting: the Ravenmaster has TWO announcements to make… [Hatching chick] [Hatching chick]
For the third year in a row our breeding pair of ravens Huginn and Muninn have produced chicks, and we’re delighted to be welcoming two of them to join the Tower’s legendary corvid community! (1/2)
8:00 PM · May 4, 2021·Twitter Web App

The Tower of London
@TowerOfLondon
Replying to @TowerOfLondon
The Ravenmaster has named one Edgar, in honour of celebrated Gothic poet Edgar Allan Poe. But what about our other new recruit? We need you to help us #NameOurRaven!
Click the link to read our shortlist of names and vote for your favourite [Right pointing backhand index] http://bit.ly/NameOurRaven (2/2)
8:00 PM · May 4, 2021·Twitter Web App​

Branwen, Brontë, Florence, Matilda or Winifred? [Thinking face]
Thanks to everyone who has voted to #NameOurRaven so far! With over 26,000 votes already cast and just over a week to go until we announce the winning name, it’s all still to play for! Vote here [Right pointing backhand index] http://bit.ly/NameOurRaven
10:35 PM · May 11, 2021·TweetDeck​

Baby ravens Edgar and (?) are nearly ready to meet you [Waving hand]
Before we reopen the Tower tomorrow morning and announce the winning name, there are still a few hours left to #NameOurRaven!
Voting is open until 5pm BST [Right pointing backhand index] http://bit.ly/NameOurRaven
8:29 PM · May 18, 2021·TweetDeck​

BBC Breakfast @BBCBreakfast
Will it be Branwen, Brontë, Florence, Matilda or Winifred? [European castle]
On #BBCBreakfast we'll find out the name you've chosen for the Tower of London's new baby raven [Arrow pointing rightwards then curving downwards]
http://bbc.co.uk/weather
4:01 PM · May 19, 2021·Twitter Media Studio - LiveCut​

The results are in! Our new baby raven’s name is… [Drum]
[Black heart] BRANWEN [Black heart]
After the deity from Celtic mythology, whose name translates as “Blessed Raven” [Astonished face] Thanks to everyone who voted to #NameOurRaven!
Come and meet Branwen and her brother Edgar [Right pointing backhand index] http://hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london
4:54 PM · May 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

I saw something about the Byward Angel as part of one episode of Smithsonian Channel’s brilliant “Inside the Tower of London”...it’s gorgeous, and the story behind it is wonderful.

I’m in love with all the ravens now! The series spends some time on them, including last year’s newbie, Georgie. How wonderful that two new chicks will be Tower ravens ! The girl has been named Branwen..voted on by the people !

This was wonderful to watch and now I wish that I could return to the Tower of London to see these wall paintings in person.

No one can see the Byward Angel; it’s only opened to conservators every 5 years so they can check on its condition

The crypt of Church of Saint Peter ad Vincula must be full and from memory it houses the remains of

Anne Boleyn
Lady Jane Boleyn, Viscountess Rochford
George Boleyn, Viscount Rochford
Lady Jane Grey
Lord Guildford Dudley
Catherine Howard
Cardinal John Fisher
Sir Thomas More
Lady Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury

Oh how very much Anne Boleyn surely relishes the prospect of eternity with Lady Rochford and Thomas More. :)

Was this group of Henry’s victims put together on purpose?

Back
Top Bottom