The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Nobility

For a very detailed description of the new State Coach Britannia, take a look at this site: The State Coach Britannia
The craftmanship is absolutely breathtaking. Enjoy.

I sincerely doubt when construction began on this beautiful coach (2005 or 2006?) that the concept of a recession was on anyone's mind.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

[
And very expensive. I still think it is a terrible waste of money, just look at the list of coaches the Queen already has, one among them has only been used three times during her long reign....
I really don´t think it is money well spent beautiful or not whoever is paying for it.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I am sure they are having a good laugh at BP/CH that Australia, the strong republican outpost, with its republican government, and almost continual talk of a referendum, is spending money on a royal carriage that we can all agree is not really required!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well I certainly agree with this. Definitely not needed. Then when the Queen visits somewhere they quite often give her jewellery.....
I wonder if, when the cost of this coach is published, the republican movement doesn´t take on new impetus.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I just think it was a bad decision by the government, and they are the ones who ought to be questioned over it, and not the recipient who did not ask for it.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Majesty

The government that gave the $250,000 in 2007 and promised the $100,000 to help with shipping has been out of power for over a year now so they can't be questioned. It was voted out of office in late 2007 and I don't remember this being an issue in that campaign so I don't think too much will be said about it now. The Prime Minister at that time lost his seat later that year so he can't be questioned by Parliament.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

A very bad choice of present I think but, of course, I don´t for one second think that the Queen had anything to do with it, it would have been ungracious for her to have refused it.
Well if no one can be blamed and the coach is bought etc etc. that is that. I only wish, but of course no one knew what was going to happen in the future, that the money was there to help the people who have lost so much in these criminal fires.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Commoner

Does anyone know if and or when the State Coach will be delivered to HM?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Serene Highness

According to a report I read dated in February 2009, the coach was to be delivered within the next few weeks but I cannot any confirmation on line that it was delivered by the Spring of 2009.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Majesty

According to this Wikipedia article the coach has been delivered and is now in the Royal Mews:

State Coach Britannia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I too can't find any reference that is has been delivered but the Telegraph does report a detailed description of the carriage.

Gold inlaid carriage which may carry Prince William to wedding completed for the Queen - Telegraph

This article is dated to May 2009 and again has a description

http://www.downau.com/publications/a...ageDriving.pdf
Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Commoner

I see that according Wikipedia it will now be delivered to the Queen in spring 2010. Let's hope so!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Prince's wedding carriage ready to roll - World - NZ Herald News

The State Coach Britannia is the Australian master coach builder's creation and has taken six years to complete since he originally proposed the idea to Buckingham Palace.

Mr Frecklington received a A$250,000 federal government grant in 2006 to complete the carriage, which is now finished and ready to be flown to Britain.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Update on the State Coach Britannia

from the Sydney Sunday Telegraph, 31 January 2010:

"[The coach] was finished last year but plans to ship it to the UK have not been finalised. Buckingham Palace stressed it was up to Mr Frecklington to decide when to send it.
A palace spokesman said "It's not one that has been commissioned by the Royal Household. Therefore it's not an official carriage, it's a private initiative. So we don't have any information about it, or any response about it, because it's something that's entirely private. It would be a matter for Mr Frecklington. We don't know anything about the progress or what he intends to do with the vehicle once he's completed it."

In the meantime, visitors have been paying $15 a head to see the coach on tours organised by Mr Frecklington. He told The Sunday Telegraph he had been in contact with Buckingham Palace last week, but preparations for shipping the coach had been delayed because of "winter" arrangements at the Royal Mews. "I'm ready to take it to London" Mr Frecklington said. "Hopefully it won't be long and there'll be an announcement. I've been on the phone to the Palace this morning."
Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 AM
Courtier

I can't wait to see the Queen in the new coach! It sounds like a masterpiece on wheels!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
According to this Wikipedia article the coach has been delivered and is now in the Royal Mews:

State Coach Britannia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How wonderful that its made up of pieces of palaces.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Update on the State Coach Britannia
"I'm ready to take it to London" Mr Frecklington said. "Hopefully it won't be long and there'll be an announcement. I've been on the phone to the Palace this morning."

Winter is over by now and summer nearly there. Does any one have information about this so awaited State Coach Britannia ? Will it be delivered a day in London ?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Heir Apparent

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8396321/Wedding-coach-has-distinguished-109-year-history.html

Wedding coach has distinguished 109-year history

The open-topped State Landau in which Prince William and Kate Middleton will make their first journey as a married couple was built in 1902 for King Edward VII’s coronation.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

£900,000 State coach made for the Queen 'missing' - Telegraph

A £900,000 handmade state coach designed as a gift for the Queen's 80th birthday has vanished in Australia.

The jewel-encrusted 2.75 tonne black carriage, made with $250,000 (£161,000) of Australian taxpayers' money, was supposed to be delivered in 2006, but government officials have admitted they have no idea where it is.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 AM
Majesty

It isn't actually missing at all but a political issue being made by one side of politics.
No missing this Royal coach on Google | thetelegraph.com.au

Super coach found in North Head shed where it has always been
Super coach found ... in the North Head shed where it's always been - Government - News - The Manly Daily

You can pay to be taken on tours of it if you are able to get to North Head in Sydney.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Iluvbertie,

I find these articles extremely amusing. You would think the government officials would know where the coach is before stating that it is missing. But what is the point of making this a political issue? Are the taxpayers of Australia obligated to pay more money for the coach? Or is the expense of getting it to England to be borne by the hard working people of Australia?