The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Majesty

Andrew and the Wessexes have big homes near Windsor yet also have flatlets in BP that are convenient for overnight stays when there are evening engagements in central London. I don't see why the Sussexes should be left without a bolthole.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

New pictures as the work conrtinues at Frogmore Cottage

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...ttage,_windsor

Old 03-10-2019, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

If the Sussexes do vacate Nott Cott, I wonder who'll get it?
The RF won't let it stand empty.

Maybe Beatrice? She must have someplace she stays when in London, she won't want to go back and forth to Royal Lodge late at night.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:27 PM
Majesty

I've just got a feeling that the Šussexes will keep Nott Cott for the time being. It's just very nice for engagements in central London when they might not want to face a drive home, especially if there's another engagement early the next day. In their private lives too there might be late night parties. It's just a very convenient bolt hole IMO.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I've just got a feeling that the Šussexes will keep Nott Cott for the time being. It's just very nice for engagements in central London when they might not want to face a drive home, especially if there's another engagement early the next day. In their private lives too there might be late night parties. It's just a very convenient bolt hole IMO.
IMO, it would make sense to keep Nott Cott as a London bolthole.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:09 AM
Majesty

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dsor-home.html

Noise insulation allegedly being added at FC
Old 03-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

Well now is certainly the correct time to do it. If, in fact, the loud noise from landing and take-off planes are a problem, I would want also. Can be quite annoying.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Well now is certainly the correct time to do it. If, in fact, the loud noise from landing and take-off planes are a problem, I would want also. Can be quite annoying.
Especially with a newborn in tow.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Majesty

"Renewed claims today that Frogmore Cottage won’t be ready for Harry and Meghan to move into this month as planned. Builders told the Sunday Express last month it was likely to be Easter before the Sussexes moved in but sources close to the couple have maintained they are on track"

Via Richard Palmer Twitter
Old 03-27-2019, 03:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
"Renewed claims today that Frogmore Cottage won’t be ready for Harry and Meghan to move into this month as planned. Builders told the Sunday Express last month it was likely to be Easter before the Sussexes moved in but sources close to the couple have maintained they are on track"

Via Richard Palmer Twitter
I guess they will move when they move. No point speculating, as the Press don't seem to know the exact status of the renovation.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:46 AM
Commoner

Quote:

This is one of the reason why I really don't understand FC as a main residence. I know people talk about how the Queen loves Windsor etc but I am currently looking at a country home to buy and Windsor is awful for that. You cannot even enjoy your garden in peace. There is no quiet. When I asked potential neighbours they said you get used to it but really... I have enough of the airplanes & helicopters in central London so why spend millions to not even be able to enjoy your garden in peace? That being said since, apparently, they wanted a country home as a main residence I don't think they had many other choices that close to London :/
Old 03-27-2019, 09:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I guess they will move when they move. No point speculating, as the Press don't seem to know the exact status of the renovation.
That’s it in a nutshell! Everyone knows, when it comes to home renovations, dates to move in moves from time to time. This whole thing is completely natural.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
This is one of the reason why I really don't understand FC as a main residence. I know people talk about how the Queen loves Windsor etc but I am currently looking at a country home to buy and Windsor is awful for that. You cannot even enjoy your garden in peace. There is no quiet. When I asked potential neighbours they said you get used to it but really... I have enough of the airplanes & helicopters in central London so why spend millions to not even be able to enjoy your garden in peace? That being said since, apparently, they wanted a country home as a main residence I don't think they had many other choices that close to London :/
First things first. Harry and Meghan are not *buying* Frogmore Cottage. They're approved by HM, The Queen and the Crown Estate as as being suitable tenants for the property. Frogmore Cottage is a Grade II listed house in the grounds of Frogmore House built in 1801 and held in trust for the British nation as part of their history. Yes, the Queen loves being at Windsor Castle but the fact is that its not *her* castle. She's the current resident is all as is her prerogative. Charles, as King may never spend time there at all during his reign. Its personal preference. It may surprise you just how little property the British Royal Family actually "owns". In a nutshell its Balmoral and Sandringham. Back in the time of the abdication of Edward VIII, George VI had to wangle how to get them back for Britain Its a story worth delving into. Those are their "piles".

Frogmore Cottage has been chosen as the "home" for Harry and Meghan much like Bagshot Park is the home of the Wessex family and Royal Lodge is the home of Andrew. All in the same area. They're given the use of the properties and they do pay rent and pay for the upkeep but the property will always "belong" to the Crown Estate.

Making Frogmore Cottage a residence again is doing something. Its preserving it for history. Harry and Meghan are just going to be temporary residents for the time being.

BTW: I lived very close to Detroit Metropolitan Airport once upon a time and it taught me to think of my hearing impairment as a blessing. I can sleep through any kind of noise.

Nice to meet you EvaH. You're jumping right into the mix. Wish I had that kind of guts when I first joined.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 03-27-2019, 10:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I would think one of the main reasons is that it was given to them as a gift along with the fact that the Queen was also paying for the huge restorations so far noted at around 3,000,000 pounds. That brilliant gift is rather hard to turn down. Besides I read somewhere that they will be keeping their rental home for the next year or so. Security still in view daily there so it is still being protected from vandals or nosey tourists. If they are not "outdoors" people like William and Catherine, it won't bother them that much. Some people can't take the pollen and bugs or are allergic to things. We just don't know their personal status or their likes. Posing for photos and living daily are two different things. I am sure they know exactly what they are doing and so did the Queen.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
You are right, there would not have been many choices for H&M of a property on a royal estate close to London.

Windsor can be noisy, but as you have heard, residents get used to it. Quite large parts of Buckinghamshire and Surrey, near the M25, do suffer because of the noise from LHR.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I would think one of the main reasons is that it was given to them as a gift along with the fact that the Queen was also paying for the huge restorations so far noted at around 3,000,000 pounds. That brilliant gift is rather hard to turn down. Besides I read somewhere that they will be keeping their rental home for the next year or so. Security still in view daily there so it is still being protected from vandals or nosey tourists. If they are not "outdoors" people like William and Catherine, it won't bother them that much. Some people can't take the pollen and bugs or are allergic to things. We just don't know their personal status or their likes. Posing for photos and living daily are two different things. I am sure they know exactly what they are doing and so did the Queen.
The Queen and / or Prince Charles would have paid for a home for Harry, irrespective of whether a suitable home was found on the Windsor estate or not. This was done for all of the Queen's children, and each of the homes was individually leased from the Crown Estate on an arms length basis (Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park) or purchased (Gatcombe) using funds provided privately by HM / other family finances.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
First things first. Harry and Meghan are not *buying* Frogmore Cottage. They're approved by HM, The Queen and the Crown Estate as as being suitable tenants for the property. Frogmore Cottage is a Grade II listed house in the grounds of Frogmore House built in 1801 and held in trust for the British nation as part of their history. Yes, the Queen loves being at Windsor Castle but the fact is that its not *her* castle. She's the current resident is all as is her prerogative. Charles, as King may never spend time there at all during his reign. Its personal preference. It may surprise you just how little property the British Royal Family actually "owns". In a nutshell its Balmoral and Sandringham. Back in the time of the abdication of Edward VIII, George VI had to wangle how to get them back for Britain Its a story worth delving into. Those are their "piles".

Frogmore Cottage has been chosen as the "home" for Harry and Meghan much like Bagshot Park is the home of the Wessex family and Royal Lodge is the home of Andrew. All in the same area. They're given the use of the properties and they do pay rent and pay for the upkeep but the property will always "belong" to the Crown Estate.

Making Frogmore Cottage a residence again is doing something. Its preserving it for history. Harry and Meghan are just going to be temporary residents for the time being.
All the wittering about Frogmore Cottage in the DM and on YouTube is so asinine. Do they really think anyone in their right mind would spend that amount of money on "five old staff flats to turn it into to a royal residence? It was originally built and used as a royal residence and over decades, fell into disuse. Then came the Barbarians, with little or no laws to stop them, ripping into it to provide 5 flats that they could never keep fully tenanted.

It's the sins of omission that get me as half a truth is worse than an outright lie. Just as the social media keep showing an overgrown back yard and a rather ordinary two story house just inside a wrought iron fence with No Trespassing signs and a road running right past it. By sheer dint of repetition people relate the one with the other and od course, can't see where all the money went.

There are tales of Meghan holding up progress by changing her mind and wanting walls moved or altered at the last minute. Grade II any one?

Couple of questions
1. Are all such extensive renovations required to use double glazing, and
2. Ditto for insulation?

I would dearly love to see the finished restoration and the garden but I imagine security will prevent that.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

It just stands to reason that if Meghan had a question about what she'd like and what she envisioned into her future home (which I think will be the *sole* home of the Sussex family) , she'd ask and it would be taken to the Crown Estate to deliberate if its a go or not go for the property in question . If it fits and works. it a green light. If not, ahhh well. was worth a try.

Summer in England.. we'll be two flies on the wall and see the inside of the place. Debating whether the very short lifespan of a fly is worth it.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The Queen and / or Prince Charles would have paid for a home for Harry, irrespective of whether a suitable home was found on the Windsor estate or not. This was done for all of the Queen's children, and each of the homes was individually leased from the Crown Estate on an arms length basis (Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park) or purchased (Gatcombe) using funds provided privately by HM / other family finances.
If my brain cells are actually still working, years ago, there was a property (pile) that Charles had in mind for Harry. I believe the property started with a "H". I'm not about to delve back through the archives here and find the name of said pile (or lack of pile). The intention was good but what happened is that the kid grew up and picked for himself (with his love) where they wanted to live.

Family takes care of family but they don't force things on the kid. I think that the best move made by the monarchy is to allow personal preference to figure into anything and everything having to do with the monarchy.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If my brain cells are actually still working, years ago, there was a property (pile) that Charles had in mind for Harry. I believe the property started with a "H". I'm not about to delve back through the archives here and find the name of said pile (or lack of pile). The intention was good but what happened is that the kid grew up and picked for himself (with his love) where they wanted to live.

Family takes care of family but they don't force things on the kid. I think that the best move made by the monarchy is to allow personal preference to figure into anything and everything having to do with the monarchy.
That is exactly what I am saying. There was no pressure on H to live in Windsor. A house would have been leased / bought for him, as was the case for Anne, Andrew and Edward, wherever he wanted.

The property you are alluding to was purchased and developed by the Duchy of Cornwall and was in Herefordshire. It was initially rumoured to be for William, and then for Harry. Clearly neither of the boys chose to use it.