St James's Palace

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyalistRiley

Courtier
City
Brisbane
Country
Australia
St James's Palace, located only a short distance from Buckingham Palace remains the official home of the Monarchy (as it is officially the Court of St. James) yet is only used for the occasional reception and houses many offices and apartments. Does anyone know why it is still the official home of the monarchy and if there is any public access to the Chapel Royal and Reception Rooms?

St James's Palace, located only a short distance from Buckingham Palace remains the official home of the Monarchy (as it is officially the Court of St. James) yet is only used for the occasional reception and houses many offices and apartments. Does anyone know why it is still the official home of the monarchy and if there is any public access to the Chapel Royal and Reception Rooms?

Saying the "Court of St. James" sounds a lot more classy and refined than saying the "Court of Buckingham!"

Posts about the cost of the royal family have been moved to the Royal Finances thread.

wbenson
British Forums Moderator

Are St James Palace and Clarence House physically connected?

Interesting how you can visit Clarence House but not St James, even though they are the same building

Interesting how you can visit Clarence House but not St James, even though they are the same building

Might that be because St J is not really a palace and really just offices and a few apartments for members of the royal family

Might that be because St J is not really a palace and really just offices and a few apartments for members of the royal family

No St. J P has lovely staterooms inside, I think there kept private in a bid to make it an exclusive location for royal invitations

Good point. I think the sense of 'mystique' that surrounds some aspects of the monarchy is one of its strengths.

Does anyone have a picture of the whole palace? I've seen pictures of Clarence House (the part that's painted white) and a small part of St. James Palace, but never an outside shot of the whole thing.

Thanks Warren for those pictures. It's the first time I've seen an overhead shot of this palace. So it looks like Clarence House is on the corner of it. I wonder what that large square building is to the left of the palace(?)
http://wccampbell.com/albums/London2005/St_James_Palace_Guard_001.sized.jpg
I have to say looking at this picture St. James isn't a very "pretty" palace. And it looks like it might be one of the oldest. Maybe they're just not able to refurbish the outside because it's all brick.
Personally I think Buckingham Palace looks much nicer.

The white building to the left is part of the Queen's Chapel on the linking road between St. James's Street and The Mall, called Marlborough Road.

Be honest, I never like St James Palace.
It look nothing special outside.

This is going to be tricky to explain, but hopefully I will make sense!

In the aerial photo of St. James Palace there is a large square portion of the palace to the lower left with its own courtyard. It appears that the clock tower with sentries is on the upper right side of this portion of the palace. Is this correct?

Then, there is a large "L" shaped section moving off of the square portion to the upper left and a smaller "L" shaped sectio moving off the square portion to the upper right. (This second "L" portion on the upper right branches off from what I think is the clock tower.)

On the top of the L portion on the upper left, it appears that this portion ends in a large white rather than red brick section. Is that Clarence House?

Or, just above this is another large white building with a roof that is partially green and partially glass looking. Is that Clarence House?

If Clarence House is the former then it is defintely physically part of St. James' Palace. If it is the later then it simply stands rather near the palace but is not physically part of the palace.

Oh, I justed noticed that the "L" section on the upper right leads to another portion of the palace. This portion seems to have a large square or rectangular building on the right and this portion also seems to end in a large white building. Is that Clarence House?

Sorry to be confusing if I am.

So it houses some of the Royal Family? Is it Princess Beatrice, Prince William and Prince Harry? I thought everyone who had a London spot lived in BP.

What is the large building just above to the left?
Harold, that's Lancaster House.
quote:
Queen Victoria is said to have remarked to the Duchess of Sutherland on arriving at Stafford [Lancaster] House, "I have come from my House to your Palace."

This is why:

> Interior 1
> Interior 2

picture from Wikipedia Commons, public domain.
Lancaster House, 2006

Attachments

• 800px-Lancaster_House_London_April_2006_032.jpg
    800px-Lancaster_House_London_April_2006_032.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:
I don't think the Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie have private residences in London. They probably have some privacy in the huge house in Windsor owned by their father. Prince Andrew's London residence is in Buckingham Palace. They probably have bedrooms as part of their fathers home there.
Princes William and Harry live in Clarence House, but it's a big place (over and acre of square footage). They probably have private entrances.

I don't think the Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie have private residences in London. They probably have some privacy in the huge house in Windsor owned by their father. Prince Andrew's London residence is in Buckingham Palace. They probably have bedrooms as part of their fathers home there.
Princes William and Harry live in Clarence House, but it's a big place (over and acre of square footage). They probably have private entrances.

Bea has an apartment at St J, as does Princess Anne.

Princess Alexandra also has an apartment @ St.James. The Dukes of Kent have offices here.

Well I'm embarrassed to say that a similar thing happened to me a few years ago at Horse Guard's Parade on the walkway between the parade ground and Whitehall. Alot of of people were walking along and some tourists decided to stop in the middle of everything and all of a sudden the guardsmen appeared walking in file. As I was trying to shove my way out of their path, me and a few other people got the shock of our lives when one of the guardsmen shouted the same thing "Stand clear of the Queen's Guard!!" or "make way for the Queen's Guard!" - something along those lines anyway!

Pity there were no photographs of the interior. :bang: That automated voice was pretty strange and unusual:eek:

When Charles and Diana got divorced, Charles moved into an apartment at St. James Palace (later his sons lived there with him).

What happened to that apartment? Who has it now?

Queen to rent out Palace for Olympics: Royals will let firms hire St James's Throne Room for £30,000 a day | Mail Online

Queen to rent out Palace for Olympics: Royals will let firms hire St James's Throne Room for £30,000 a day

n a break with nearly 500 years of Royal protocol, St James’s Palace has thrown open the doors to some of its most lavish state apartments for private firms to rent during the London Games. The Queen has personally approved the plans to allow businesses to take their pick of the Palace’s Throne Room, its Tapestry Room and the Queen Anne Room for glamorous parties.

Guests at St James's will enjoy an exclusive tour of the Palace as part of the exclusive celebrations. They will also be close to several key Olympic events, including the Beach Volleyball in Horse Guards Parade, and the marathon, which will start and finish in the Mall. Nearby Hyde Park will be the venue for some swimming events.

One source said: ‘The Palace is exploiting its historical heritage and its prime location. Officials have already begun contacting firms and charities who they think might be interested in using the Palace. 'They are targeting organisations who have an existing link with the Royal Household and that includes those who have Royal Warrants.'

Now, under the hire plan, firms will be able to invite guests to events in the Tapestry Room, which boasts an original Tudor fireplace and a selection of tapestries woven for Charles II, and the Throne Room, which contains a single throne for the reigning Monarch. The third room on offer, the upholstered Queen Anne Room, is dominated by a portrait of George III. Companies can entertain up to 500 guests for lunch, dinner or a drinks reception. It is understood catering will be carried out by Palace staff rather than by private firms.

All the dates are now reportedly sold out after an overwhelming response from big businesses.

Back
Top Bottom