Sandringham House

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Small Drawing Room, Ballroom, Ballroom Passage.

The Ballroom is where the RF watch films.:flowers:

Attachments

• 35225797.jpg
    35225797.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,967
  • rf_31_edited.jpg
    rf_31_edited.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,921
  • rf_30_edited.jpg
    rf_30_edited.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 667
The Ballroom is where the RF watch films.:flowers:

My dear Vanya,

What a beautiful house. I think I would much rather live in Sandringham as opposed to Balmoral or even the Crown Properties such as Buckingham Palace or Windsor--no, I think I would like to live in Windsor too!

Thanks for posting these photographs.:flowers: Where did you find them? I am also curious about who is featured in the portrait in the first photograph. It looks like a young Queen Mother.

Your very welcome, I'm glad you enjoy them!
I too would love to live in Sandringham, I think it's the most beautiful of all the Queen's homes, well windsor is very nice as well!!!
I don't know who that portrait is of...Good question!
Maybe the Duchess of Kent, Queen Victoria's mother???

Last edited by a moderator:
My dear Vanya,

I am not sure but I don't think it would be the Duchess of Kent. Although Edward may have been fond of his grandmother, Victoria did not really have any connection to Sandringham unless she presented the portrait to Edward and Alexandra as a gift.

I thought it might be the Queen Mother because it resembles the cover photograph on the Shawcross biography. Her majesty is wearing a dark dress which is slightky off her shoulders and she is wearing the Indian tiara. In addition, it appears that the portrait contains some ermine robes which to me signifies that the subject has been crowned. But then upon closer examination, the style of the portrait appears to be too old to be the Queen Mother. Could it be a member of the Danish royal family and thus a relative of Queen Alexandra?

Hello Vassillisos!
I'ts a real mystery! I must confess I do not know, perhaps it is a member of the Danish Royal Family.
My guess that it was the Duchess of Kent was based on the portrait of the Prince Consort that is in the reflection of the mirror, and that these portraits were a gift from QV to Edward and Alexandra, father and grandmother.
But I really don't know who this mystery portrait is of!!!:sad:

I think it looks like it could be Alexandra's mother - Queen Louise of Denmark.

My dear Iluvbertie,

I think you are correct. I searched for portraits and photographs of Queen Louise and they look similar to the subject in the portrait. It makes sense doesn't it because Alexandra loved Sandringham and it was probably a gift from her parents or maybe Edward VII.

It would also fit with the Prince Consort in that it is Alexandra's mother and Bertie's father.

More Photo's of Sandringham!

Main staircase (where Princess Diana fell/tripped when preg w/ Pr. William).

Turkish room.

Attachments

• sandringhamc_673944a.jpg
    sandringhamc_673944a.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,699
  • sandringhamd_673945a.jpg
    sandringhamd_673945a.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 768
Front entrance hall.

Library, formerly the bowling alley.

Attachments

• sandringhame_673946n.jpg
    sandringhame_673946n.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3,302
  • sandringhamf_673947n.jpg
    sandringhamf_673947n.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,981
Wasnt Diana born on the Sandringham estate? Park House, if im not mistaken

It is Queen Louise of Denmark. I was watching a DVD on Sandringham last night and they showed the portrait - it is one of a pair (the other of Alexandra's father, Christian IX is further to the left). I was so excited when I heard the narrator comment on the portraits as I remembered this thread.

My dear MichelleQ2,

Thank you for confirming this information. The DVD sounds fascinating--where did you obtain a copy?

That is horrible and hopefully it wasn't foul play. Nevertheless, I hope once the remains are identified it will bring resolution to this person's family if there is any.

Last edited:
wow isnt that strange? I guess being on such a huge property you wouldnt even know there was a body. I wonder what happened. as for the jewels, one of my favorite tiaras. yippeeee! girls of great britain is absolutely magnificent.

According to the BBC news, a body of a woman was found on the estate on New Years Day and the police are treating it as murder.

That headline to the story is very misleading. The body was found in some bushes on the Sandringham estate, not in the residence itself, but that might have to do with the Google translation. At any rate, this is a shocker especially if death wasn't due to natural causes. This is turning out to be a Sandringham Christmas that is memorable in several ways.

Last edited:
wow isnt that strange? I guess being on such a huge property you wouldnt even know there was a body. I wonder what happened. as for the jewels, one of my favorite tiaras. ...[snipped].

Lady Gabrielle is quite right; the Queen's two private estates are very large indeed. I have been to both several times - or rather, the public bits! The saying goes that if you position yourself carefully [i.e. fairly centrally] 'it all belongs to the Queen as far as the eye can see'. I always feel at Balmoral and Sandringham that if you don't take note very carefully of where you are going, you could easily get yourself completely lost very quickly indeed.

It's the same with Windsor [although of course this is not the Queen's private property.] Position yourself carefully on the [Crown] Estate, and you literally feel as if you are in the middle of nowhere [apart from the planes flying overhead to and from nearby Heathrow.] Yet the huge connurbations of Slough etc are compartively very close indeed.

Compare all this with the Principality of Monaco, which can easily fit in its entirety into London's very central Hyde Park.

The fact that the press is reporting that the body was found on the Sandringham Estate makes it sound much closer to Sandringham House [and the BRF] than it actually was. The BBC are now reporting that the body was found at Anmer [the village where the Duke and Duchess of Kent used to have their country home before they moved to Henley on Thames]. Thus, the gruesome discovery was made at a site some distance away from the Queen and the Duke, who would not ever have been in close proximity to the location.
Alex

Last edited:
:previous: Hopefully this woman can be identified soon and be properly put to rest. She must have family or friends who've been worried about her.

Well the news here is saying that the woman was murdered. IT seems the BRF have a true murder mystery on their hands! Where is Sherlock Holmes when you need him?

Well the news here is saying that the woman was murdered. IT seems the BRF have a true murder mystery on their hands! Where is Sherlock Holmes when you need him?

I was saying the same thing to a friend on fb who shared the article about this. Of course knowing Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson, we'd be seeing a great deal of hilarity and adventure while they're trying to see what actually went on. And if I remember correctly, the housekeeper was more keen on all this then the two detectives combined. Of course I could be wrong, since it's been a long time since I've read these stories.

I can imagine there must be a number of families who have missing loved ones and are looking at this case with trepidation.

Back
Top Bottom