Sandringham House

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whilst it was his birthday, he has 3 properties to live if we don't count the cottage? Why exactly does he need it when he has an apartment being renovated in KP, a house in Wales and rooms at Clarence house. bit of a waste really.

I don't see why money should come from the duchy or a house be built for him when an apartment is having millions spent on it.

I'm sure Charles was consulted and was part of this decision. And it makes perfect sense, odds are William may not inherit the throne (and the related properties) for 25+ years - the years when he will be raising his family. As I mentioned on another thread, I hope it is York Cottage that he is given - it is just lovely. And that is the home where George VI and Queen Mary raised their family and lived while they were still the D & D of York (hence the name) during his father's reign (Edward VII) and until Alexandra died (she loved it so, she wouldnt leave, even though her son had inherited the place).

It would make sense to give William a country home for his family. And it will cost only the improvements to the dwelling. As no title is being passed, he is just being given a structure on the existing estate.

Last edited:
Whilst it was his birthday, he has 3 properties to live if we don't count the cottage? Why exactly does he need it when he has an apartment being renovated in KP, a house in Wales and rooms at Clarence house. bit of a waste really.

I don't see why money should come from the duchy or a house be built for him when an apartment is having millions spent on it.

He no longer has rooms at Clarence House. They have temporary accommodation in a 2 bedroom cottage at KP and will move into their long term apartment later this year (not sure when?) and then Harry is expected to take over the cottage; they rent the property in Angelsey which is for use as long as he works at RAF Valley.

I think having a place of their own at Sandringham (which he will eventualy own anyway) gives them privacy. Also, when they do have children, great place to bring them up and not have them permanently under HMQ feet when the family are visiting. Nice balance. It's not being built for them - its one of many already there. Interesting if it is the one used by Earl Spencer, Diana's father, but I doubt it.

....Nice balance. It's not being built for them - its one of many already there. Interesting if it is the one used by Earl Spencer, Diana's father, but I doubt it.

I agree with everything you said.

Although, I dont think it will be Park House where Earl Spencer lived and where Diana was born, as it has been turned into a hotel for disabled people.

Park House Hotel - Sandringham Estate

it is lovely though.

Interesting if it is the one used by Earl Spencer, Diana's father, but I doubt it.

:previous:Park House, the childhood home of Diana, is not available. The building was given over to a charity for the disabled over a decade ago. They now operate it as a hotel for people with special needs.

I think York Cottage seems like the most likely choice for the Cambridges, but I really don't know how many cottages are on the estate besides York Cottage and Wood Farm. There's also the site of the former Appleton House that was used by Queen Maud of Norway, though the house itself has been demolished.

ETA: And I see MichelleQ2 and I posted the same answer at the same time! :D

Ooops! Thank you Thena and MichelleQ2. I didn't know that! York Cottage then - good idea.

I'm just sorry Appleton House is no longer there; it seemed, as Queen Maud put it, a perfect paradise.
There are actually quite a few cottages on the grounds, so the Queen has a lot of options.
York Cottage is lovely, but perhaps they'll go for something lesser-known.

York Cottage is my favorite; it looks like a lovely country home.

I think HM may also be trying to insure that Sandringham doesn't fall into neglect with the next generation. I have no idea as to Charles & Camillas affinity for Sandringham as a property. The Queen has very strong emotional ties with her family, especially her father at Sandringham. Philip has turned it into a very successful working farm and I believe this is where the largest of the Queen's stables are located. As each court passes through, the court calendar changes and different homes have fallen off the court calendar. Look at the Isle of Wight since Queen Victoria. HM knows Balmoral is in safe hands as Charles loves Scotland. Giving William a country house on the Sandringham estate, knowing his love for the area insures another generation of royals will grow up on the estate and perhaps keep the Christmas tradition alive.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 407
I don't think the Queen has any concerns as to the future of Sandringham when she's no longer with us. Charles has more than demonstrated, not only with Highgrove but with the Duchy of Cornwall itself, that he is more than capable of running and maintaining a farm and a substantial house.

It would appear that Sandringham holds a special place in the hearts of the royal family as a whole. Charles has certainly hosted shooting parties there for his friends.

I think the Queen giving William and Kate the use of a cottage at Sandringham is an acknowledgement that they're going to be giving up their rented house in Anglesey fairly soon. After that, they'll have KP as their main base and the cottage at Sandringham as their country retreat. Balmoral's too far from London to make it convenient for short stays, particularly when the Cambridges have children.

This cottage will also allow Kate to get to know the estate and the community of which she will one day be mistress. Her children will also get to know Sandringham and the royals' love affair with the place will continue into the next generation.

my comments about Charles and Sandringham had nothing to do with ability to run the property - I think he is more than capable at successfully running all of the estates and has shown great interest. It was more a comment on whether the Sandringham house was going to fit significantly into his royal calendar. I think Charles has definite ideas on what property he likes. Charles and Camilla have never spent a great deal of time at Sandringham. I believe they only go for Christmas and havent spent any extended time there as Camilla has her family and they have Highgrove.

But I do agree with you regarding Anglesey. I think the timing bodes well that they will be in need of a private retreat once they lose Anglesey.

I don't see any reason why Charles wouldn't continue the tradition of spending part of the year there. From what I understand, Charles has hosted weekend parties at Sandringham for years now. We saw from his recent tribute to his mother that the beaches in Suffolk hold many happy memories for him.

He might not spend Christmas there in the future, but I think Charles realises the value of the personal link between the Sovereign and the estate and its community, and will maintain the tradition of spending time there.

I wonder if maybe part of the reason in giving Wills and Kate a cottage on the estate is to help with the "overcrowding" reported at Sandringham last Christmas. Once William and Kate have their own family they could maybe stay at their house and still be with the Queen during the christmas festivities.

I thought hardly anyone actually stayed at SH, most people leave the same evening.

I thought hardly anyone actually stayed at SH, most people leave the same evening.
I think that must have stayed at least one night because the family tradition is that presents are given on Christmas Eve, and then on Christmas Day they are there for the Service and lunch.

I remember that there was articles in the media about HM inviting the wider family (ie the Chatto's) and that they had to use staff quarters. I'll try and find it.

EDIT: Found the article - 27 family members were invited according to the DM:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ord-27-royals-stay-Christmas-Sandringham.html

Last edited:
I wonder if maybe part of the reason in giving Wills and Kate a cottage on the estate is to help with the "overcrowding" reported at Sandringham last Christmas. Once William and Kate have their own family they could maybe stay at their house and still be with the Queen during the christmas festivities.

One day William will own Sandringham outright and maybe HM felt it would be appropriate for W&C to have a 'piece' of it now.

cepe said:
I think that must have stayed at least one night because the family tradition is that presents are given on Christmas Eve, and then on Christmas Day they are there for the Service and lunch.

I remember that there was articles in the media about HM inviting the wider family (ie the Chatto's) and that they had to use staff quarters. I'll try and find it.

EDIT: Found the article - 27 family members were invited according to the DM:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2075945/Queen-invites-record-27-royals-stay-Christmas-Sandringham.html

I didn't know that. Bit silly really.

The royals used to celebrate Christmas at Windsor Castle until they moved the celebrations to Sandringham. They had tons of space at Windsor for the extended family.

The royals used to celebrate Christmas at Windsor Castle until they moved the celebrations to Sandringham. They had tons of space at Windsor for the extended family.

I've always thought part of the attraction of Sandringham was that it was away from the staff at BP. Windsor is a 30 minute drive from central London - so Christmas there does not get you away from "work." Sandingham is a 2-3 hour trip and which helps enforce the idea of a Christmas Holiday for the family and staff. Since space is short at Sandringham - that helps with the issue as well.

With the gift to the Duke of Cambridge, the Queen neatly solved the problem of creating space for the expanding family (we hope) to come over the next years. I can just see the Wessex, Chatto and Phillips etc. children being told they will all get to bunk down in Uncle Will's basement like a big Christmas Camp. LOL. At least, that would be how my family solved the issue. ;)

Which royals and when?

Which royals and when?

Pretty much the entire clan used to gather at Windsor until the early 70s. After that it became the Queens family with the QM and Princess Margaret and her family at Sandringham. Now I suppose as that group have expanded Sandringham is becoming too small so its either a case of some staying at other houses on the estate or drop Margarets side from the annual attendance. Maybe tearing down part of the old Sandringham House wasn't such a good idea after all.

NGalitzine said:
Pretty much the entire clan used to gather at Windsor until the early 70s. After that it became the Queens family with the QM and Princess Margaret and her family at Sandringham. Now I suppose as that group have expanded Sandringham is becoming too small so its either a case of some staying at other houses on the estate or drop Margarets side from the annual attendance. Maybe tearing down part of the old Sandringham House wasn't such a good idea after all.

I think the change from Christmas at Windsor happened in 1992 after the fire at Windsor. That forced Christmas to Sandringham. And a subsequent reduction in the family members ... Gloucesters, Kents etc. as long as QEQM and Margaret were alive Linleys and Chattos were included. Not sure after

I googled to see if I could find when Christmas moved to Sandringham and found this quite interesting article about a former footman:
Queen's ex-footman on Christmas with the Royal family - Telegraph

30 years ago, when Chris Ely worked as a royal footman, the Royal family celebrated Christmas at Windsor Castle before retiring to Sandringham for New Year and the ensuing six weeks.
He cannot understand why this year, what with it being the largest Royal family gathering in decades with 27 guests, they should choose to spend Christmas at the Norfolk estate where many of those attending may have to sleep in the servants' quarters.
"It is kind of cramped, Sandringham, and when we went up there after Christmas at Windsor, we were always reduced to three small teams, each working just two weeks, thank God. Who wants to be in stuck in Norfolk in the middle of winter?
"Norfolk in winter was never the best place to be. The family went there to kill animals but for us there wasn't a lot to do and the house wasn't the most comfortable to work in.
"What with so many of them going this year I don't know where they are going to put everybody, including the staff."

Who on earth does Chris Ely think he is to lecture the royals on where they celebrate Christmas? He seems to think he's some kind of expert and that the royals shouldn't go to Sandringham because there's nothing for the staff to do. He needs to get off his high horse.

Who on earth does Chris Ely think he is to lecture the royals on where they celebrate Christmas? He seems to think he's some kind of expert and that the royals shouldn't go to Sandringham because there's nothing for the staff to do. He needs to get off his high horse.

Ha ha I appreciate your concern..But just see the other way..Sometimes loyal long-time servants are much concerned and more aware of our needs and can make better choices about things like where to hold an event ..how to deal with a situation..within their purview, of course..just musing..

The Queen and some members of the royal family still spend some Christmas time at Windsor before going off to Sandringham but Windsor did offer more room for the royals.

I like Sandringham too. Those places look very cozy and I bet the family have a good time sitting by the grand fireplaces, having tea, playing games and just having fun.

As members of the royal family are preparing to spend Christmas at Sandringham House, take a good look at the breathtaking views of the royal estate during the summer months-

Sandringham Estate 360 Virtual Tour - Norfolk, United Kingdom

Some of the views I personally never seen before.

It really is quite a beautiful estate. Looking at the Big House though, its hard to believe that the Royal Family runs out of rooms for people over the Christmas holidays. That place seems HUGE!

Victoria, the sister of Edward VII, had a country house built in Germany in the style of Sandringham House. The country house was called Schloss Friedrichshof. She was the Dowager Empress Frederick at this time.

Back
Top Bottom