The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Something to think about however is, when Charles becomes King he will have those responsibilities AS WELL as the ones handled by his father the DOE. HM has had the DOE to share responsibilities but what about Charles? Is he to handle both the responsibilities of the King as well as the management of the estates. I would think that would be a hefty portion on his plate.
All of these royal estates have factors and professional estate managers looking after the day-to-day. As for the planning and taking the long view, Charles' knowledge of animal husbandry, horticulture, dendrology, arable farming etc. is pretty formidable at this point and I think he's quite well-equipped to take on these responsibilities.

The question in my mind is, will his well-established views on organic farming, GM crops and non-mechanical farming methods (horses instead of tractors) cause friction with the factors and farmers who are entrusted to make money for the estates while keeping a lid on costs?

Old 06-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Royal Highness

Charles may well ask William or maybe even Harry to take on some of the roles to do with the Estates.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Aristocracy

Is Prince Philip living permanently at Sandrigham?
Old 04-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness

A number of newspapers/magazines have stated he is living at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate. How permanent this is no one really knows, certainly he has been to Windsor on and off as we have seen him at carriage riding things etc but I get the impression he now uses Wood Farm as his "base".
Old 04-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wonder why he choose the cottage which hasn't been lived in for sometime when he has use of the big house ?
Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
A number of newspapers/magazines have stated he is living at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate. How permanent this is no one really knows, certainly he has been to Windsor on and off as we have seen him at carriage riding things etc but I get the impression he now uses Wood Farm as his "base".
I would say he might spend some time at Windsor on occasion. Still, I don't think he has returned to Buckingham Palace since his official retirement.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Wonder why he choose the cottage which hasn't been lived in for sometime when he has use of the big house ?
1. I've read that he wants to get away from the "fuss" of lots of staff etc - a more simple life.

2. Sandringham House is open to the public and makes good income for the estate.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The big house is open to the public for most of the year - other than the two months when the Queen is in residence and the one weekend when Charles is their for the Sandringham Garden Show.

If Philip was to live in the big house permanently they wouldn't be able to open it for most of the year which would cut into their income and it would cost a lot more money to keep it operational for one man.

Wood Farm is smaller and easier to maintain. It is also where The Queen stays if she arrives a few days before the annual closing of the big house for her Christmas/New Year break - just as she stays at a smaller home at Balmoral if she arrives there before the closing of the castle to the general public.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

If Philip was to live in the big house permanently they wouldn't be able to open it for most of the year which would cut into their income and it would cost a lot more money to keep it operational for one man.
On the other hand the costs of using the royal chopper certainly went up. I don't believe they drive him down to Windsor.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think Philip always thought of living at Buckingham Palace as living "above the shop". Neither Philip or the Queen actually prefer BP as a residence from all I've gathered over the years.

As far as not living in the "big house", sometimes a place that is smaller and more contained is actually more comfortable. This isn't saying that Wood Farm is a small hovel, its anything but small. Both the Queen and Philip have used Wood Farm as their personal bolt hole over the years and its somewhere Philip likes to be.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'd forgotten that Sandrigham House was open to the public ,explains why he choose the cottage.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Royal Highness

Also. I remember reading somewhere, possibly the Daily Fail so take it with a pinch of salt, that the Queen knew if Philip was at BP or Windsor "in the thick of it" so to speak he would end up getting involved with things and thus not actually be retired from much. Whereas, at Wood Farm, he is away from any talk of "work".

I imagine Philip will go between Wood Farm and Windsor relatively frequently, especially when the family are there to visit as well, with trips to Balmoral when the Queen is there.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:13 PM
Majesty

Last I read Philip is renovating the kitchen. Whether there is a kitchen company involved or Philip has taken up DIY is unknown. Either way, I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

This article has a few details and insights (usual Daily Fail warning given)
Prince Philip is now living in a cottage at Sandringham | Daily Mail Online

How hard it must have been for the Queen to tear herself away. With the workmen finally gone, there was the shiny new kitchen — the first for 30 years — in the house where she and Prince Philip feel, and behave, like normal people.

They’d spent a few days together last week at Wood Farm, the spacious but modestly furnished cottage on the Sandringham estate that for years has been their bolthole from Palace formality. But the Queen — at 91 — had to return to her duties in London.

At Wood Farm, with its simple furnishings and open fires, Philip does have help. There is a page, housekeeper, chef and footman to take care of him, but unlike the liveried Palace staff, he prefers that they wear ordinary clothes.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Majesty

Dang, wrong estate!
Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Having just mapped Wood Farm, trying to figure out how many rooms it has, I discovered the local Bog and also my new favorite place in the UK. Scissors Cross is just that: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sc...65!4d0.4744667.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Sandringham's gardens were opened to the public by King Edward VII in 1908.
Sandringham's Museum was opened to the public by King George V in 1930.