The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
But it makes no sense for William to take on the role, when Charles is both more experienced and the heir.
This may be plain supposition or I'm recalling bits and pieces of various tidbits I've read over the years but I do think that Charles has already been instrumental in various aspects regarding the management of different estates such as the gardens at BP and has probably been discussing how things should be for years with Philip. In this respect, Philip would be handing over the management of the Sandringham estates to his right hand man.

This isn't like handing down to the heir the family jewels or paintings or something that is an honorific position but is mostly a responsibility. I will put it at the same level as the DoE grooming Edward to eventually take over the Duke of Edinburgh Award organization (along with the Duke of Edinburgh title eventually).

This position for William has probably never even crossed the minds of the House of Windsor for even a fleeting moment. This is a family that makes its decisions very carefully with a lot of planning and foresight to the future. They don't do things on a whim or hand things out like Halloween candy. Another aspect to look at with Philip handing over the management of Sandringham to Charles is that it is yet another indication that the reality of Charles becoming the monarch is approaching sooner than far off in the future and the ducks are being lined up in a row. It is dealing with the realities of life and I think, not only prepares the family to transition into Charles' reign easier but also helps them accept easier the passing of their beloved parents, grandparents and great grandparents.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

William has no estates to manage. Charles includes him in meetings for the Duchy of Cornwall but that's at Charles's pleasure and not up to William.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness

Something to think about however is, when Charles becomes King he will have those responsibilities AS WELL as the ones handled by his father the DOE. HM has had the DOE to share responsibilities but what about Charles? Is he to handle both the responsibilities of the King as well as the management of the estates. I would think that would be a hefty portion on his plate.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'd imagine that Sandringham house and grounds look very scenic and festive at the moment given the wintry weather over the UK!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Something to think about however is, when Charles becomes King he will have those responsibilities AS WELL as the ones handled by his father the DOE. HM has had the DOE to share responsibilities but what about Charles? Is he to handle both the responsibilities of the King as well as the management of the estates. I would think that would be a hefty portion on his plate.
I would think that after years of managing Highgrove and the Duchy of Cornwall, Charles has established a staff of experienced and trusted people that will handle different aspects of what is needed. As time passes, perhaps he will consult with William. Its prudent to also remember that William lives on and is part of the Sandringham estate already. Another nice little duck put in an orderly row eh?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would think that after years of managing Highgrove and the Duchy of Cornwall, Charles has established a staff of experienced and trusted people that will handle different aspects of what is needed. As time passes, perhaps he will consult with William. Its prudent to also remember that William lives on and is part of the Sandringham estate already. Another nice little duck put in an orderly row eh?
I agree. When I first heard the news I thought that it was too much to ask Charles to do, bearing in mind the management of the estates was something the monarch's consort did and not something he had to bother herself with, and it seemed to be imposing an onerous obligation onto Charles at a time when he is taking on more of his mother's duties as well as managing his own. However Charles does have that experienced staff who have worked with him for years and I am sure they could manage the estates quite adequately with minimal input from Charles.

I would really like to see William take more of an interest in the natural history of Britain like Charles has, but Charles thinks in the long term and I am confident that plans are in place to ensure that the estates don't suffer if William doesn't wish to involve himself in more than a cursory fashion. You are either a gardener at heart or you are not. I am a gardener but my husband is not. It doesn't make him a bad person.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Traditionally when there is a King the King handles all of the King stuff as well as managing the estates. The Queen has had Philip handle those duties but her father and grandfather had managed the estates when they were king so this is a move back to what the situation was in the earlier reigns.

The Queen Consort handles more of the entertaining stuff - which The Queen has handled during her reign - approving menus etc.

Maybe she will include Camilla in the planning for the next couple of State Visits so she is ready to take over those responsibilities when the time comes.

William and Kate, hopefully will have another 30 or so years before they have to take up those responsibilities.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Makes sense. HM, despite being monarch, still allowed her husband to be head of the family, and she did the "womanly/wifely" stuff inside the house and left the man of the house to look after the outside, and now there's to be a man in charge things are going to revert to the "proper" order.

But Charles does enjoy the outdoors and he will do a good job of managing the estates, and with a bit of luck William might develop an interest in them too. I have a feeling Camilla will do a splendid job of organising the house-managing stuff, and I'm sure she'll have plenty of help available when she needs to do it.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Heir Apparent

William has been attending the meetings of the Duchy of Cornwall for several years now.He probably has been schooled by his father and grandfather in estate management since he was a youngster.

Since the Cambridges will be spending lots of time in Norfolk. Wills can be Charles's man on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Flying restrictions to be put in place over the Sandringham estate, including Anmer Hall.

Royal Sandringham flying restriction over estate - BBC News

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Appleton Water Tower on the Sandringham Estate and was built in 1877 to supply the family with water after the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII, and his eldest son, fell ill with typhoid - caused by drinking dirty water.

History behind landmark on Sandringham Estate to feature on Channel 4 programme - News - Eastern Daily Press
Old 11-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Appleton Water Tower on the Sandringham Estate and was built in 1877 to supply the family with water after the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII, and his eldest son, fell ill with typhoid - caused by drinking dirty water.

History behind landmark on Sandringham Estate to feature on Channel 4 programme - News - Eastern Daily Press

And didn't that happening change the course of History...Makes you wonder, huh?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

^ I didn't think it was the Duke of Clarence who fell ill from typhoid. I thought Eddie died from pneumonia, a complication of influenza? I believe his brother the Duke of York had typhoid shortly before his brother's death and was recuperating from it when Clarence died.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

At different times they both had it.

Eddie had it in 1877, George in 1892. Their father had it in 1871, and of course his father may have died of it in 1861.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The Prince of Wales recuperated at Sandringham after his bout of typhoid in 1871. He had been given a fright and for a time his womanising disappeared. He grew close again to Alex.

Alexandra wrote to her sister in law Louise from Sandringham about her joy at being spared widowhood.

'Oh dearest Louise, you who knew what I suffered and saw my utter despair and misery - you would hardly know me now in my happiness. We are never apart and are enjoying our second honeymoon. Never, never can I thank God enough for all His mercy when He listened to my prayers and gave me back my life's happiness.'

Sadly, the 'second honeymoon' didn't last.

If Bertie HAD died in 1871 I suppose Eddie would have been made Prince of Wales in the later 1870's. If Eddie hadn't died we might have experienced a King Albert Victor I on the British throne in 1901.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen bans drones at Sandringham over fears pilots could spy on Royal Family | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Sandringham offers a treasure trove of royal artifacts | The Japan Times
Old 10-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Have you seen the church, gardens, and museum of Sandringham?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I come from Norfolk and have been to Sandringham many times. The church and gardens are lovely, the House is a bit of a Victorian monstrosity, but all of it is well worth a visit I think.