Royal Lodge, Windsor

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There have been several news stories lately about Andrew being unable to afford the upkeep of Royal Lodge. Although I have no doubt that he will stay here long term, if he was forced to move due to financial reasons, what sort of property would be suitable for the Duke of York? It would need to be smaller and more affordable, and assumably within commuting distance to London.

Should the Duke of York choose to downsize, I suspect a house on the Windsor estate or on the Sandringham estate would be found for him to secure a long lease on.

An appartment at Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace or Sandringham House ?

An apartment at BP or Windsor is unlikely, IMO. They will remain with the monarch, and if required, apartments for working members of the BRF will be provided selectively at BP.

Andrew, if he chooses to downsize, may end up with a smaller home on the Windsor estate, something akin to Frogmore Cottage or Adelaide Cottage.

Andrew doesn't pay any rent for Royal Lodge. This was agreed when he paid for the required renovations prior to moving in.

That is correct. He paid a lump sum amount and agreed a certain minimum spend on renovation in lieu of a 75 year lease on the property.

Here is a copy of the National Audit Office report into the lease of Royal Lodge (and other Crown Estate properties let to members of the RF) - it gives all the facts to save any misunderstandings.

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2005/04/royal_property_leases.pdf

That was a very insightful and informative document. Many thanks! I was surprised to read that Princess Alexandra has a 150 years leasehold of Thatched House in Richmond Park, starting from 1994. Does this mean James and Marina Ogilvy will enjoy the pleasure of a long and carefree lease after their mother?

I cab not see what the "unbearable costs" are for the Duke of York, as the agreed renovations and refurbishments were al done shortly after signing the 75 years leasehold?

Perhaps Andrew could move into KP? There are several places standing empty.

(Or perhaps he could exchange with William? Adelaide Cottage should be sufficient for his needs now).

I cab not see what the "unbearable costs" are for the Duke of York, as the agreed renovations and refurbishments were al done shortly after signing the 75 years leasehold?

A large, old house with extensive gardens sitting in 100 acres isn't cheap to maintain. It probably requires permanent, full-time staff plus extra people at busy times (eg in the garden). He'd have to keep the roof and windows in good repair plus all the many general maintenance tasks you have to do. As anyone who has had an old house can tell you, this can amount to some hefty bills. A significant amount of aristocratic grand houses are now managed commercially to provide the income required to maintain the house and grounds. Those who still have completely private estates have other income streams.

Those initial repairs and renovations were done 20+ years ago so its likely even those things fixed then are now needing more work.

It is a big expense to keep a house like Royal Lodge. I can't say I feel sorry for Andrew but I can see he may no longer be able to afford the upkeep.

There are articles in several different newspapers, reporting that Andrew is worried that the King will turn off the water and electricity ti Royal Lodge in order to force the Yorks to leave. How likely is this scenario?

I don’t know where this information is coming from, but so long as a tenant is abreast of his power and water bills and not getting behind in them, then no utilities can be turned off. And Andrew also has a long lease on Royal Lodge.

Last edited:
There are articles in several different newspapers, reporting that Andrew is worried that the King will turn off the water and electricity ti Royal Lodge in order to force the Yorks to leave. How likely is this scenario?

It is against the law in the UK for a landlord to turn off a tenant's heat, light or water for the purpose of forcing them out - it is considered a form of harassment.

But I've no idea what the legalities of Andrew's situation is - if he is considered a renting tenant, with all the attendant legal rights.

Whilst what may or may not be going on in relation to Royal Lodge remains a private matter between Andrew and the King, here is my take.

The issue relates to the cost of securing the property, which is funded privately by the King, and not the state as Andrew is no longer a working royal. Royal Lodge is outside the "secure" Windsor perimeter, the area that is kept secure at the cost of the state. Charles probably wants Andrew to move to a property within the secure perimeter to save those ongoing costs, perhaps to Frogmore Cottage, Adelaide Cottage or a similar property.

If this is indeed the case, I have sympathy with the King's view. Andrew potentially has decades to live, and this cost saving on security could go a long way in keeping Andrew in good financial health, through a subsidy from Charles.

I accept that Andrew has an existing lease on Royal Lodge, and therefore, is within his right to continue living there, but this is a different issue.

have you links for these articles ,we can assess them by the source!

The King has no authority over Royal Lodge as he is not the owner.
The owner is the statutory corporation called The Crown Estate.

That makes these articles about cutting off utilities most likely pure "click bait nonsense".

That makes these articles about cutting off utilities most likely pure "click bait nonsense".

I agree, it is just nonsense that the tabloids are running with.

Whilst what may or may not be going on in relation to Royal Lodge remains a private matter between Andrew and the King, here is my take.

The issue relates to the cost of securing the property, which is funded privately by the King, and not the state as Andrew is no longer a working royal. Royal Lodge is outside the "secure" Windsor perimeter, the area that is kept secure at the cost of the state. Charles probably wants Andrew to move to a property within the secure perimeter to save those ongoing costs, perhaps to Frogmore Cottage, Adelaide Cottage or a similar property.

If this is indeed the case, I have sympathy with the King's view. Andrew potentially has decades to live, and this cost saving on security could go a long way in keeping Andrew in good financial health, through a subsidy from Charles.

I accept that Andrew has an existing lease on Royal Lodge, and therefore, is within his right to continue living there, but this is a different issue.

They may be arguing about it, as I think Andrew would prefer to stay, but it is a matter that will probably be resolved in due course, with a solution acceptable to both parties.

I agree, it is just nonsense that the tabloids are running with.

Its coming close to Silly Season and the tabloids sadly love their sensationalism fodder :whistling:

The Crown Estate is owned by the King by virtue of him being Monarch and sovereign. Please believe that he does have a say the management of properties and its occupants.

Last edited:
One of the reasons given for the apparently wanting Andrew ri leave is the cost of security. However if we are to believe that the Wales family could move into RL then surely they would have the exact same security costs?

One of the reasons given for the apparently wanting Andrew ri leave is the cost of security. However if we are to believe that the Wales family could move into RL then surely they would have the exact same security costs?

The Wales family are protected by Met officers at all times however, and the Home Office pays. I understood from what I read a few months ago that Andrew no longer receives that sort of security as he is a non-working royal, and so Charles had taken over paying for his security.

What a fine image that would be: elderly brother kicks not-so-elderly brother out of family home he’s lived in for decades.

What a fine image that would be: elderly brother kicks not-so-elderly brother out of family home he’s lived in for decades.

Simplistic, designed to excite, clearly missing the reasons for the potential move, IMO.

If Andrew were able to fund his security privately, I am sure this potential move would not be a point of discussion.

The Wales family are protected by Met officers at all times however, and the Home Office pays. I understood from what I read a few months ago that Andrew no longer receives that sort of security as he is a non-working royal, and so Charles had taken over paying for his security.

That is correct, the Home Office would cover the cost of security for the Wales family (if they did indeed end up living at Royal Lodge), but not for Andrew as he is not a working member of the BRF.

Or elderly brother finds a lovely comfortable, affordable, secure home for his not so elderly brother, who lost a career through his behaviours , that he can afford to maintain. Always two slants on the same story.

If Andrew were able to fund his security privately, I am sure this potential move would not be a point of discussion.

Agreed but I also wonder if he can afford to maintain Royal Lodge as it's an old property and a lot of land.

Agreed but I also wonder if he can afford to maintain Royal Lodge as it's an old property and a lot of land.

we dont know what money Andrew has, its up to him and Charles to sort out wehre he lives, and if he would be better to take a smaller house.

we dont know what money Andrew has, its up to him and Charles to sort out wehre he lives, and if he would be better to take a smaller house.
Yes that's obvious. I'm not sure what the point of your reply is.

that its a non story, all this stuff about Andrew clinging to the doorposts or Charles turning off his heating

Back
Top Bottom