The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Castle Mey was the only house she owned. Clarence House is owned by the crown. Royal lodge as part of Windsor Great Park also owned by crown. Birkhall is part of the Balmoral estate which is privately owned by the Queen. The same situation with WK with Amner Hall at Sandringham- they live there but it's owned by the Queen.

The household staff and expenses of the Queen Mum would have to come from her allowance from the Civil list.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

I imagine (and I have no knowledge I really am just guessing) that the Queen would have helped her mother out rather than see her give up one of her residences.

Remember Royal Lodge was her house where she and the King lived with their 2 girls so it was probably seen as 'the family home' even if it was owned by the Crown.

The Castle of Mey was the only house she actually owned herself so whilst I guess she could have sold that or given it to someone else she maybe wanted to still have one property that she owned and could use for capital or other means.

Birkhall is part of the Balmoral Estate and it allowed the Queen Mother to join in the annual summer holiday whilst still maintaining her own household as Queen Dowager and as an independent lady, it will also have allowed the Queen and her children to have their own space as a family whilst still being close to 'granny'. In addition don't forget Balmoral was once her and Bertie's so it wouldn't be fair to effectively 'kick her out' by not giving her somewhere to stay.

Clarence House was her official residence, her London home. She effectively house swapped with Elizabeth & Philip, she moving to their Clarence House home and they to Buckingham Palace. She needed a city home and office and don't forget Buckingham Palace had to accommodate the Queen, Philip, their children and later grand children as well as guests, staff etc. Kensington Palace was full of aunts, cousins, Margaret, staff and later Diana and elements of the Royal Collection.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Castle Mey was the only house she owned. Clarence House is owned by the crown. Royal lodge as part of Windsor Great Park also owned by crown. Birkhall is part of the Balmoral estate which is privately owned by the Queen. The same situation with WK with Amner Hall at Sandringham- they live there but it's owned by the Queen.

The household staff and expenses of the Queen Mum would have to come from her allowance from the Civil list.

I am aware she only owned the one house which is why I was suggesting she could have transferred another one of them to another royal to keep her costs down. She was drastically overspending her civil list income.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Serene Highness

I suspect to a certain extent, the Queen would have been expected to help her mother out financial. Most of the main assets Bertie would have had would have had to have been passed down to his eldest daughter as she became Queen. I'm sure he expected, and QEII was more than happy to oblige, that his wife would be looked after by her eldest daughter.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother have some staff who would work at some of her various residences?
If this had been done, would not less expenses have had to have been paid to the staff?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

A portion household staff would travel to the various residences. Someone like Billy Tallon would go where the Queen Mum would go.

The Queen is at Sandringham some of the BP household has gone to Norfolk too, then they will go back to BP. The same later on when the Queen moves to Windsor and Scotland.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:01 AM
Administrator

Please note that general posts regarding the Queen Mother's spending habits, income, etc. have been moved to HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (1900-2002) .

If you would like to discuss the jewels of the Queen Mother, you may do so here Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Jewellery and The Queen Mother's Jewellery from Mrs Greville .

Let's stay on topic.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 01-20-2015, 04:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Back on topic of the residences. Between the late 1860's and the 1920's Royal Lodge was a grace and favour residence for members of the Royal Household.

Therefore it's a bit peculiar that Queen Mary disapproved of the Yorks taking over Royal Lodge on their marriage, on the grounds that they wouldn't be able to afford it..
She told them that a caretaker would be needed, the house in her opinion was very small, the gardens would be expensive to maintain and they would be expected to contribute to all the local charities based in Windsor.

However, both the Duke and Duchess had fallen in love with the house, delapidated though it was.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 AM
Gentry

If I remember correctly queen Mary originally wanted them to stay and reside , and continue to reside at White lodge (the home of HER YOUTH) , but it's maintenance would have depleted the Duke of Yorks funds and neithe he nor the Duchess liked it. it was then that they found and fell in love with Royal Lodge . ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Nobility

Was she permitted to stay at Walmer Castle whenever she liked or just for occasions relating to her position as Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports?

She had even more homes than even Prince Charles now has.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Was she permitted to stay at Walmer Castle whenever she liked or just for occasions relating to her position as Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports?

She had even more homes than even Prince Charles now has.
Other than owning the Castle of Mey, she did have the use of several residences which, I think, enabled her to be in residence close to her family and yet live independently. Charles now has the use of Clarence House and Andrew has the use of Royal Lodge. I think it was stated that QEQM only stayed at Walmer Castle when she was there in her role as Warden.

I find the closeness of QEQM and her family to be very heartwarming. Although her daughter may have been the Queen, QEQM was very much the matriarch of the family just as Philip is very much the patriarch.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon