03-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Approximately between 1150 to 1170, Robert FitzRanulph built a square keep at Middleham in North Yorkshire.
At Middleham, the keep was built close to an earlier castle.
The earlier castle was an earthwork motte-and-bailey fortification.
The keep's two storeys were constructed above a vaulted basement with two wells.
The ground floor was occupied by a large kitchen and an extensive cellar-pantry.
From 1270 onward, Middleham Castle was owned by the Neville family.
The castle's four towers were built and gradually developed in stages from the 13th to the 15th centuries.
In the late 14th century, Ralph Neville, created Earl of Westmoreland by King Richard II, constructed a series of residential chambers within the castle's thick curtain wall to supplement the accommodation provided in the keep.
Middleham Castle passed to King Edward IV.
Edward gave Middleham Castle to his brother Richard, the Duke of Gloucester.
Richard and his wife Anne lived in Middleham Castle. They lived in the castle with their son, Prince Edward and Anne's mother, the Countess of Warwick.
Alan Rufus, who built the wooden motte-and-bailey castle, was a nephew of William the Conqueror.
Alan was known as Alan the Red.