The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Royal Highness

I just read that William and Catherine have begun to move into Nottingham Cottage in the grounds of Kensington Palace. The Mirror reports that their crates have been delivered there and are currently brought into the little house.

Prince William and Kate Middleton have chosen their 'perfect home' as their London residence in the grounds of Kensington Palace - mirror.co.uk

Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
But he really doesn't need the extra space at this time. Besides, he will be king eventually and have the big house. I'm sure the Cambridges will get one of those larger apartments (or something else entirely) once the Kents and Gloucesters are gone and there are some little Cambridges running around.
I suspect by the time the Kents and Gloucesters are "gone", the Cambridge couple will be installed at Clarence House.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I just read that William and Catherine have begun to move into Nottingham Cottage in the grounds of Kensington Palace.
I'd love to see a photo of it..
can't find anything on the www
Old 06-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
I'd love to see a photo of it..
can't find anything on the www
The article I posted on the page before has an aerial view of the cottage.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Aristocracy

I think it's definitely the best choice available for the Kensington Palace area.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
The article I posted on the page before has an aerial view of the cottage.
The building that the article claims is Nottingham Cottage doesn't fit the description of other articles I have read. For one thing, it looks too large to be the small cottage that has been noted they are moving into. The descriptions I have read are that the cottage is reached through an archway and has it's own private garden. I found another site that claims and shows a small cottage within the walled garden that Diana used as Nottingham Cottage. It makes more sense to me that this is the actual cottage rather than the one showed in the other article.

Thoughts?

Nottingham Cottage, Kensington Palace, Palace Green, W8 4PY
Old 07-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Heir Apparent

With all the forward planning done by the palace and civil servant I don't think the notion of three adult generations in need of accommodation was on any plan.

The present situation of the Cambridge's using Nott Cott as a pieds-à-terre for the next couple of years will work as they are not "setting up house" on a full time basis but, after that should the Queen still be in robust health then they may need to change their future plans for KP Apartment 1A and move the Cambridge's in there.

Later, as things progress, there is no reason why when the Cambridge's move to Clarence House apartment 1a would probably be a suitable home for Prince Harry, should he too have married.

Security being what it is in this new age, it seems a no brainer to utilise the elegance that KP affords along with it's inbuilt security. Why reinvent the wheel when you have the perfect location. Obviously the Americans thought it doable before the longevity of it's tenants nixed that plan.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with you, Marg. In time, the Cambridge's could progress to Apt 1A at KP, and once they are at CH, Harry and family could use Apt 1A at KP.

IMO, the issue to resolve would be if Harry were to marry and have a family whilst Charles was still PoW. Some other suitable accomocation for Harry would then need to be found.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
That's a great news. To me, it symbolizes that taking care of charities and helping the others was a common goal for both.

That is a lovely comment.
I congratulate you on the way you think, it shows your kindness.

(I get a bit upset when I hear/read horrible things about Charles; he doesn't deserve it IMO)
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
The building that the article claims is Nottingham Cottage doesn't fit the description of other articles I have read. For one thing, it looks too large to be the small cottage that has been noted they are moving into. The descriptions I have read are that the cottage is reached through an archway and has it's own private garden. I found another site that claims and shows a small cottage within the walled garden that Diana used as Nottingham Cottage. It makes more sense to me that this is the actual cottage rather than the one showed in the other article.

Thoughts?

Nottingham Cottage, Kensington Palace, Palace Green, W8 4PY
Nottingham Cottage seem to form together with Kent Cottage one house, so it's semi-detached and rather small. It's vis-a-vis the North wing at Princesses Court, where Charles and Diana used to live at ap.8+9. It's somehow build into the back courtyard of Wren House if this helps.

Here's a quite good pic from the Daily Mail with explanation: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...20_964x821.jpg

Nottingham Cottage was where the former governess of the Queen, Mrs. Crawford used to live after she retired but when she wrote the book about the little princesses, she was kind of mobbed by the other inhabitants of KP for her breach of silence and decided to relocate. She still lived there and was in the then Princess Elizabeth's good graces when she was phoned by her and told that the princess had just given birth to her first child, a son. One of the last tenants, AFAIK was a relative of a senior member of the Royal Household who used the cottage not only as his living space but as a workshop as well and that was against the rules of his tenantship - security issues etc. Here's an article: Peer's son runs his building firm from Margaret's palace | Sunday Mirror Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

Here's an excerpt in which Paul Burrell describes the space seen from the entrance of Ap. 8&9 to Nottingham Cottage:
"About two hundred yards ahead of the door there was a block called the Upper Stables. Staff quarters filled the first floor and Princess Margaret's garage was underneath. To the left, a group of cottages was used by senior members of the Royal Household: Kent Cottage, Nottingham Cottage and Wren Cottage. To the right, there was a dead end: a towering brick wall with a black door set in it, which led to the State Apartments and the Orangery. The princess used that gate to nip out into Kensington Palace Gardens for a walk, or to go Rollerblading at around 8 a.m. when few people were around. To reach it, she had to pass the door to Prince and Princess Michael of Kent's apartments. "

According to the London postcodes, there are more cottages/flats under this postcode of W8 4PY: all in all 13 properties.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think the current exhibition- Enchanted Palace- is wonderful!
Im so happy to hear you love the Enchanted Palace exhibit. I will be there late October and am going to the Eerie Evening tours they are doing Halloween Weekend. I have been to KP before, but will be curious what new things they have done.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Commoner

Happy Halloween- Haunted Tour of Kensington Palace

Sounds like a fun tour: Hauntings at Kensington Palace « The Royal Post
Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethkelly
It was... I was fortunate to go Sunday evening. While the ghost stories were interesting and a new spin on the KP tour, I enjoyed the access to Princess Margaret's apt 1-A to be the most interesting along with we saw a little bit of the renovations being done to that part of the castle for the Victoria exhibit for next year (opens Mar 2012 they told us ). I couldn't help thinking as we were going through that part of the palace that this may in fact be the future home of William & Catherine in 2013.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Restoration project discovers rude graffiti at Kensington Palace - Telegraph

When a workman at Kensington Palace scrawled an obscene remark on a piece of concealed timber more than a century ago, he must have thought his crime would never be detected.

However, a £12 million restoration project of the royal residence has discovered the culprit’s handiwork in pristine order, providing a glimpse of the banter between palace staff at the turn of the 20th century.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Is anyone living in Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone's former apartment at Clock Court, KP ?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Is anyone living in Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone's former apartment at Clock Court, KP ?

Wasn't that apartment broken up after her death, and made into smaller ones?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Serene Highness

I know that Queen Victoria was born there and that princess Diana had an apartment there but who else? And how many apartments are there?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I know that Queen Victoria was born there and that princess Diana had an apartment there but who else? And how many apartments are there?
I am not sure how many apartments there are because some have been divided in the past.

There were at least seven princesses; there's a current exhibit called Enchanted Palace that delves into their lives.

Here's an interesting article about it:

Kate Middleton and the curse of Kensington Palace: Can she escape? | Mail Online
Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Nobility

Will Prince Harry move into lavish London bachelor pad?

It has previously been reported that Harry will move into Nottingham Cottage once the Cambridges move into apartment 1A in 2013. However, it seems that another larger apartment is on hold for Harry.

Sir Michael Peat, former private secretary to the Prince of Wales, is vacating apartment 4B and it has been confirmed that his replacement will not be getting 4B or any other grace-and-favor property. It's only speculation at the moment that Harry will get 4B, but the official response from Clarence House is, "Who knows?"

The article also mentions that 4B has six bedrooms, so it's smaller than 1A but much roomier than Nottingham Cottage. Maybe a little big for a bachelor pad, but perfect for a family once Harry settles down?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Courtier

I hope Kate and William will stay in Kensington Palace until William becomes King and they have to move to Buckingham Palace.
And Harry can move to Clarence House when Charles moves to BP.