The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Aristocracy

Clock Court KP.
The Drawing room before, during and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc00040c22.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	276746   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc00041e73.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	276747   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc00042d06.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	276748  

Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Aristocracy

Clock Court KP.
Princess Margaret in her Drawing Room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc00043bba.jpg
Views:	6819
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	276749  

Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

Dear Vanya,

Thanks for posting the delightful photographs. It seems a lot of work went into renovating and rehabbing those apartments. I am afraid I do not know who occupies what in Kensington Palace. I must get over to London to see this magnificent building in person.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Commoner

Paul Burrell's name has been much tarnished in the past few years, but his second book, "The Way We Were" is well worth the price for the wonderful photos of Diana's apartments Burrell said he took a few days after she was killed.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Dear Vanya,

Thanks for posting the delightful photographs. It seems a lot of work went into renovating and rehabbing those apartments. I am afraid I do not know who occupies what in Kensington Palace. I must get over to London to see this magnificent building in person.
Hello Vasillisos!
I'm glad you enjoyed them! I'm glad the KP photo's came out all right!
And yes it took an awful lot of work, in the book I read it mentioned that they went over budget.
I also remember an anecdote that the Queen the QM and Pr. M use to sit her garden (at KP) and they could eavesdrop on the tourist's passing by. Apparently the garden wall backs onto a public walkway. I don't know how reliable that story is...
Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen2 View Post
Paul Burrell's name has been much tarnished in the past few years, but his second book, "The Way We Were" is well worth the price for the wonderful photos of Diana's apartments Burrell said he took a few days after she was killed.
Yes I have seen that book. If you compare, Margaret's apartment is FAR grander, not that I would turn down Diana's!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
From what I've read, I thought the apartments once used by the late Princess Margaret were opened to the public.
refer Kensington Palace - Refurbishment (27 April 2010) at post #85
quotes
...the £12 million refurbishment of its state apartments and gardens...is well underway already and set to be completed by 2018. The first phase, of opening new rooms dedicated to Queen Victoria's life and reign, will be ready in 2012, with four more to follow.

...the opening of Princess Margaret's apartment, which since her death in 2002 has been used as a temporary exhibition space. The interiors will be restored to the Sixties and Seventies, when Princess Margaret and Tony Snowdon were the most stylish couple in London, including the smoke extractor in the kitchen that he designed himself.

This part of the palace will carry a permanent display devoted to Princess Margaret and Princess Diana's extensive collection of dresses.
Diana's apartment, which still belongs to the Royal Household, is used as office space.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya Trubetskoy View Post
Hello Vasillisos!
I'm glad you enjoyed them! I'm glad the KP photo's came out all right!
And yes it took an awful lot of work, in the book I read it mentioned that they went over budget.
I also remember an anecdote that the Queen the QM and Pr. M use to sit her garden (at KP) and they could eavesdrop on the tourist's passing by. Apparently the garden wall backs onto a public walkway. I don't know how reliable that story is...
I imagine these three women would come up with some wild remarks, depending on what they heard on the other side of the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
refer Kensington Palace - Refurbishment (27 April 2010) at post #85.
Thank you Warren. You are, as usual, a fount of knowledge and wisdom
Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Yes I have seen that book. If you compare, Margaret's apartment is FAR grander, not that I would turn down Diana's!
I'm not surprised Margaret's apartment(s) were grander than Diana's. RHIP
Old 04-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana's apartments.
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Clock Court KP. The Hall before and after.
Thats Pr. M in the before picture. Again sorry if they come out upside down!
I will preface this by saying that I could be wrong; however, I believe the hall is part of apartment 1A Kensington Palace. Clock House is in a different wing of the palace.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Commoner

If this was discussed before, I apologize for repeating it, but at one time, the US government wanted to take over KP for it's new embassy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...s-embassy.html
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Commoner

i prefer PM's old drawing room's ceiling over the new. as for PD's apartment: all i can say is it's beautiful and very comfortable
Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I've noticed that the decor for both the Princesses' apartments are quite similar. I guess that's the style TBRF prefers.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
refer Kensington Palace - Refurbishment (27 April 2010) at post #85
quotes
...the £12 million refurbishment of its state apartments and gardens...is well underway already and set to be completed by 2018. The first phase, of opening new rooms dedicated to Queen Victoria's life and reign, will be ready in 2012, with four more to follow.

...the opening of Princess Margaret's apartment, which since her death in 2002 has been used as a temporary exhibition space. The interiors will be restored to the Sixties and Seventies, when Princess Margaret and Tony Snowdon were the most stylish couple in London, including the smoke extractor in the kitchen that he designed himself.

This part of the palace will carry a permanent display devoted to Princess Margaret and Princess Diana's extensive collection of dresses.
Diana's apartment, which still belongs to the Royal Household, is used as office space.

I think the current exhibition- Enchanted Palace- is wonderful!

It's so clever; using limited space (due to the refurbishment), KP has created a sort of fairy-tale: find the Seven Princesses!

It's a treasure hunt: using the clues found in each room, it is possible to identify seven princesses who once lived in KP. ( Mary, Charlotte, Anne, Caroline, Victoria, Margaret, Diana).

The exhibit is slightly creepy and rather poignant- a terrific transitional presentation!

Has anyone else been there? What did you think?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Cutmantle View Post
Princess Margaret's former butler Harold Brown had an apartment that was also part of the original Apartment 1 occupied by Princess Marina.
Purely speculation.... but I wonder if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are going to move in to Princess Margaret's former butler's apartment?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Despite the overly exagerrated tone of this article it does have a great map of KP where some of the members live.
Kate Middleton: Will Duchess of Cambridge feel trapped in Princess Diana's prison? | Mail Online
Old 06-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

It seems unfair that William, who is the future King, will have to put up with a tiny apartment while minor Royals like the Kents and Gloucesters have much larger ones.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It seems unfair that William, who is the future King, will have to put up with a tiny apartment while minor Royals like the Kents and Gloucesters have much larger ones.
Mirabel, I'll have to agree with you on that one. I am not proud of it, but I feel the same way.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But he really doesn't need the extra space at this time. Besides, he will be king eventually and have the big house. I'm sure the Cambridges will get one of those larger apartments (or something else entirely) once the Kents and Gloucesters are gone and there are some little Cambridges running around.