The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2019, 03:35 PM
Aristocracy

I could only find one image of the inside of apartment 1 (when it was occupied by Princess Marina). The dining room certainly looks a lot smaller & less grand than the one at Clarence House.

https://blog.hrp.org.uk/curators/she...incess-marina/

Old 10-01-2019, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I could only find one image of the inside of apartment 1 (when it was occupied by Princess Marina). The dining room certainly looks a lot smaller & less grand than the one at Clarence House.

https://blog.hrp.org.uk/curators/she...incess-marina/
Thanks for the link to the article. Yes, the dinning room appears to be small, but elegantly simple. Clarence House always looks a tad cluttered to me.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Thanks for the link to the article. Yes, the dinning room appears to be small, but elegantly simple. Clarence House always looks a tad cluttered to me.
Yes I can see what you mean. The designer is called Robert Kime. He's well known for a sort of rather plush English country house style.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Any pictures or details about the new part the Gloucester's are moving to?
Old 10-03-2019, 06:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Any pictures or details about the new part the Gloucester's are moving to?
Their new home is reported as being the Old Stables but I'm not exactly clear where that is. I think it's the building bordering the green (where helicopters sometimes land) on the north side of the palace.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Aristocracy

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4Pld_kctDX4/maxresdefault.jpg

This is the Old Stables I think.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hmmm that's still a pretty sizeable residence for a couple who are downsizing.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Hmmm that's still a pretty sizeable residence for a couple who are downsizing.
I'm quite sure that the building is divided into flats. It looks quite pokey to me and I hope there's a garden in the back and not just the car park visible in the picture. Brigitte needs somewhere nice to have her morning coffee in the summer.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have serious doubts the story of the couple moving into the stable block is true.

The stables have been converted into small two bedroom flats that have been used by staff and rented out to public people as well. I have found pictures of one of them that belongs to an architect.

Though they may be downsizing, the couple is not likely to move into a two bedroom flat. They use their apartments as their office as well. There are other larger apartments that are free in the palace including the one that belonged to Christopher Geidt which was considered for the Sussexes by many. Its definitely smaller then apartment 1, but would still allow the couple offices and room for their family to visit.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I have serious doubts the story of the couple moving into the stable block is true.

The stables have been converted into small two bedroom flats that have been used by staff and rented out to public people as well. I have found pictures of one of them that belongs to an architect.

Though they may be downsizing, the couple is not likely to move into a two bedroom flat. They use their apartments as their office as well. There are other larger apartments that are free in the palace including the one that belonged to Christopher Geidt which was considered for the Sussexes by many. Its definitely smaller then apartment 1, but would still allow the couple offices and room for their family to visit.
You may well be right. Who knows what to believe in the media these days.

That's interesting about the architect's flat. I knew that flats in the old barracks on the opposite (south) side of the palace complex (the building immediately next to the Royal Garden Hotel) had been rented on the open market but not ones in the old stables on the north side of the site.