The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

New Princess of Wales Display to go up to help mark Kensington Palace 200th Anniversary-
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ning-gown.html

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I wouldn't mind either, but we wouldn't have paparazzi after us as soon as we go out
Its quite central, but I remember going to see Margaret's apartment some years ago and it was really - disappointing. I can't remember much about it which suggests that her dťcor wasn't that fantastic.. and I don't think ti was as big as I expected... I get the feeling that some fo the apartments the rooms are not htat big and like many things in life it is not as glamourous as you'd expect. And there isn't a lot of choice for Royals in London. I think they take KP because it is there, not because they are mad about it...

Old 02-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its quite central, but I remember going to see Margaret's apartment some years ago and it was really - disappointing. I can't remember much about it which suggests that her dťcor wasn't that fantastic.. and I don't think ti was as big as I expected... I get the feeling that some fo the apartments the rooms are not htat big and like many things in life it is not as glamourous as you'd expect. And there isn't a lot of choice for Royals in London. I think they take KP because it is there, not because they are mad about it...
Wow some people said her apartment was beautiful but you arenít wrong in saying that the apartments rooms are small no wonder we get the 56 room numbers for Will and Kate.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Wow some people said her apartment was beautiful but you arenít wrong in saying that the apartments rooms are small no wonder we get the 56 room numbers for Will and Kate.
Has that 56 room number ever been substantiated by a credible source?
Old 02-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Has that 56 room number ever been substantiated by a credible source?
I think so by Anthony he said that majority of the rooms are small though.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose that even in a palace space is at such a premium in central London, that the rooms even of royal apartments are a bit poky.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I suppose that even in a palace space is at such a premium in central London, that the rooms even of royal apartments are a bit poky.
Still itís the biggest apartment in Kensington Palace so it must be nice.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Still itís the biggest apartment in Kensington Palace so it must be nice.
If you mean Margo's I didn't find it all that attractive......
Old 02-15-2019, 02:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If you mean Margo's I didn't find it all that attractive......
I think Dianaís was nice even though the decor is outdated. But the good thing about Margaretís apartment is Will and Kate can have their offices near their home.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Why would that matter?
Old 02-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Why would that matter?
I think anybody would want their offices near where they live and not travel far.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think anybody would want their offices near where they live and not travel far.
Not necessarily, a little travelling distance between work and home can help to take your mind of work and switch to private life..(works that way for me )
Old 02-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Not necessarily, a little travelling distance between work and home can help to take your mind of work and switch to private life..(works that way for me )
Also gives you something to do if you're not working full time! I'm part-time volunteering at a local charity shop and even though it's only a few minutes walk from me, I enjoy getting out and about since I hate being stuck indoors. Guess it depends on whether you're an indoors or outdoors person.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Royals tend to live near their offices, for security reasons.... but I can't imagine why i'd worry about how far Will and Kate have to travel...
Old 02-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I'm not mistaken, Will and Kate and Harry and Meghan all have office space to use within KP separate from their residences. W&K live in Apt. 1A and H&M live in Nottingham Cottage but they have rooms in Diana's old apartments that they use for office space and reception rooms and the like.

People, for the most part, hear the word "palace" and instantly have luxurious and spacious and wonderful rooms pop into their heads. These are really relatively *old* buildings and like most old buildings, are cramped, drafty, small and sometimes even dreary. There was a *lot* of work that needed to be done to Margaret's old apartment before the Cambridges moved in and its the same now with Frogmore Cottage for the Sussex family.

I think I've read that Balmoral is one place where the heating system is quite outdated and the bedrooms still could use those hot water bottles to warm things up. One thing for sure is that these older residences are *not* the epitome of luxury and modern conveniences.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 02-15-2019, 07:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Will and Kate and Harry and Meghan all have office space to use within KP separate from their residences. W&K live in Apt. 1A and H&M live in Nottingham Cottage but they have rooms in Diana's old apartments that they use for office space and reception rooms and the like.

People, for the most part, hear the word "palace" and instantly have luxurious and spacious and wonderful rooms pop into their heads. These are really relatively *old* buildings and like most old buildings, are cramped, drafty, small and sometimes even dreary. There was a *lot* of work that needed to be done to Margaret's old apartment before the Cambridges moved in and its the same now with Frogmore Cottage for the Sussex family.

I think I've read that Balmoral is one place where the heating system is quite outdated and the bedrooms still could use those hot water bottles to warm things up. One thing for sure is that these older residences are *not* the epitome of luxury and modern conveniences.
Right. Also, the State Rooms at Kensington Palace arenít really used by the royals. Theyíre used by Historic Royal Palaces for events, displays, public tours and offices. The Cambridgeís, Sussexís, Gloucesterís and Kentís are all confined to apartments and have very small reception rooms to use.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-15-2019, 07:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
New Princess of Wales Display to go up to help mark Kensington Palace 200th Anniversary-
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ning-gown.html

Small correction, the new Diana display is not part of the celebration. The original Diana exhibit is closing in a few weeks time. Its being closed to make room for a new exhibit for the anniversary. They are creating a small display though of a few of Diana's pieces, to continue to show at the palace.

The new exhibit, to celebrate the anniversary, is of Queen Victoria.

https://www.hrp.org.uk/kensington-pa...9/#gs.YZEUvetJ

Its not the 200th anniversary of Kensington palace. Its the 200th birthday of Queen Victoria being celebrated. She was born May 24, 1819. Victoria was born and later baptized at Kensington palace, why the display is there.

Kensington palace is of course much older, parts dating back to the 1609, though expanded over time.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Right. Also, the State Rooms at Kensington Palace arenít really used by the royals. Theyíre used by Historic Royal Palaces for events, displays, public tours and offices. The Cambridgeís, Sussexís, Gloucesterís and Kentís are all confined to apartments and have very small reception rooms to use.
Well they have Windor, Buckingham, and even St James for reception rooms.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 AM
Courtier

I wonder how big Apt 1 is really compared to 1A?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I wonder how big Apt 1 is really compared to 1A?
I don’t think there’s any definitive answer https://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/201...t-i-found.html the 9th photo in this article has a nice birds eye view of the two apartments.
This article https://www.businessinsider.com/prin...-palace-2018-5 claims that apt. 1 is slightly larger than apt. 1A.