Kensington Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure thats the case, at the end of the day they are all part of one palace so I'm sure at most its simply a case of knocking through, at least unlocking a door.

Could the Sussexes be moving into this apartment? This could be their main London residence, with Frogmore as their country retreat.

Could the Sussexes be moving into this apartment? This could be their main London residence, with Frogmore as their country retreat.

They arent likely to be given such a massive apartment. The Gloucester home is larger then the Cambridges. While arguably they may need a different London base then their cottage, apartment 1 would be a huge stretch. There are other apartments free which would be far more likely.

We dont know if it would be used at all. Quite possible it remains vacant until a new couple needs it down the line. Just because the Gloucesters moved doesnt mean someone is moving right in.

As for the Cambridges they already have more space. With the division of the Sussex household, the office space they once shared is now their own. Kensington was also building new office space which will likely open up more room if needed. I dont see a massive apartment like 1 being turned into offices.

Last edited:
I think it will sit empty like it is until something needs to be done....either staff housing, more offices etc. Might even sit empty till George marries. Unless there are already plans in the works.

LaRae

I doubt the Sussex's would move in, it was made pretty clear that Frogmore would be their home. Also, whether right or wrong, the backlash over the costs of the Frogmore renovations suggest that another officially funded residence for them just wouldn't be accepted.

Kensington Palace is used by so many people and organisations - the Royals who live there, staff who have accommodation there, some people even rent out apartments on a commercial basis and then there is the Royal Trust and Historic Royal Palaces organisation. I could see a mix of uses whilst still keeping the basic structure in tact ready for a pretty easy change back into one main apartment for a senior royal in the future.

Unless it is all going to become used by one senior royal in the near future I doubt we will hear much else about it for now.

Two royal reporters, Russell Myers and Roya Nikkhah, commented that the apartment is being reserved for the Cambridges. Nothing is for sure but it makes sense to me.

The Cambridges from what I read said they will stay where they are until William is the Monarch.

Not sure how much credit I put in what Russell and Nikkhah say.

LaRae

The Cambridges from what I read said they will stay where they are until William is the Monarch.

Not sure how much credit I put in what Russell and Nikkhah say.

LaRae

They are staying at KP so for me at least it makes sense to use the Gloucesters apartment. The two residences are connected and one way or another the Cambridges are going to need a larger base as Prince and Princess of Wales.

Are the two apartments together larger or smaller than Clarence House?

Are the two apartments together larger or smaller than Clarence House?

A good question. Would Princess Louise, the last person to occupy the whole of then apartment 1, have been given a larger London home than Alfred Duke of Edinburgh? I would presume not given their respective places in the royal hierarchy. Clarence House does have four proper floors (as opposed to attics/basements) compared to KP's two. Unless it was smaller when the Edinburgh's first took up residence?

Thanks for the link to the article. Yes, the dinning room appears to be small, but elegantly simple. Clarence House always looks a tad cluttered to me.

Yes I can see what you mean. The designer is called Robert Kime. He's well known for a sort of rather plush English country house style.

Any pictures or details about the new part the Gloucester's are moving to?

Any pictures or details about the new part the Gloucester's are moving to?

Their new home is reported as being the Old Stables but I'm not exactly clear where that is. I think it's the building bordering the green (where helicopters sometimes land) on the north side of the palace.

Hmmm that's still a pretty sizeable residence for a couple who are downsizing.

Hmmm that's still a pretty sizeable residence for a couple who are downsizing.
I'm quite sure that the building is divided into flats. It looks quite pokey to me and I hope there's a garden in the back and not just the car park visible in the picture. Brigitte needs somewhere nice to have her morning coffee in the summer.

I have serious doubts the story of the couple moving into the stable block is true. :ermm:

The stables have been converted into small two bedroom flats that have been used by staff and rented out to public people as well. I have found pictures of one of them that belongs to an architect.

Though they may be downsizing, the couple is not likely to move into a two bedroom flat. They use their apartments as their office as well. There are other larger apartments that are free in the palace including the one that belonged to Christopher Geidt which was considered for the Sussexes by many. Its definitely smaller then apartment 1, but would still allow the couple offices and room for their family to visit.

I have serious doubts the story of the couple moving into the stable block is true. :ermm:

The stables have been converted into small two bedroom flats that have been used by staff and rented out to public people as well. I have found pictures of one of them that belongs to an architect.

Though they may be downsizing, the couple is not likely to move into a two bedroom flat. They use their apartments as their office as well. There are other larger apartments that are free in the palace including the one that belonged to Christopher Geidt which was considered for the Sussexes by many. Its definitely smaller then apartment 1, but would still allow the couple offices and room for their family to visit.

You may well be right. Who knows what to believe in the media these days.

That's interesting about the architect's flat. I knew that flats in the old barracks on the opposite (south) side of the palace complex (the building immediately next to the Royal Garden Hotel) had been rented on the open market but not ones in the old stables on the north side of the site.

Last edited:
Read in today's mail that the Gloucesters and the Earls of Harewood have send over 300 pieces of "their collection" to Christie's to be auctioned off soon. Tha DM writes that because the Gloucesters moved into their country seat of Barnwell Manor in Northamptonshire they don't need so many things anymore.
The lots include a large set of dining room chairs...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...llection-Kensington-Palace-items-auction.html

Looked up Barnwell Manor - wiki & Co. claim that the Gloucesters stopped living there - but are said to have moved back in September. Did you read anything more about that move? And why should an elderly couple who has lived for so long in Central London now move back into the deepest countryside?

Last edited:
Read in today's mail that the Gloucesters and the Earls of Harewood have send over 300 pieces of "their collection" to Christie's to be auctioned off soon. Tha DM writes that because the Gloucesters moved into their country seat of Barnwell Manor in Northamptonshire they don't need so many things anymore.
The lots include a large set of dining room chairs...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...llection-Kensington-Palace-items-auction.html

Looked up Barnwell Manor - wiki & Co. claim that the Gloucesters stopped living there - but are said to have moved back in September. Did you read anything more about that move? And why should an elderly couple who has lived for so long in Central London now move back into the deepest countryside?

and even more interesting: who is moving into the Gloucester's old apartment? Will this be the new Sussex London pad?:whistling:

and even more interesting: who is moving into the Gloucester's old apartment? Will this be the new Sussex London pad?:whistling:

While it is a very interesting question, and I certainly have no insider knowledge, I would be very, very surprised if this became the London residence of the Sussexes. I'm not sure who it might become a residence for but I suspect we had better turn our guesses and attentions to just about anyone but the Sussexes.

And why should an elderly couple who has lived for so long in Central London now move back into the deepest countryside?

Because at 70 they are fed up with the hysteria of the city.
Can't blame them ...

I'm in agreement with Heather. It just doesn't seem plausible with Windsor and Frogmore Cottage being just approximately 25 miles away from London, it wouldn't make sense for the Sussex family to have two residences so close together. So I think we can rule out Harry and Meghan returning to Kensington Palace.

I don't think Harry and Meghan will move into the apartment. I think they love the quiet and privacy of Windsor.

I've said it before but personally I think Apartment 1 (or parts of it at least) will go to William and Kate to be used as official entertaining areas and possibly additional office space as their roles move more to Prince and Princess of Wales.

I don't think it will go to the Sussex's simply as they have made their main residence in Windsor and that is close enough to not requite a large London base as well. The usual procedure seems to be large country residence + smaller apartment for use in the city. (Though with a possible change in reign I'm not saying whats gone before will be the same). These apartments are really just parts of an old palace divided up, so maybe a larger than Nottingham Cottage apartment can be created for the Sussex's and other parts given over to the Cambridge's as their roles as heirs grow.

Or maybe they are being earmarked for Edward/Sophie and Anne for after the change of reign when maybe Charles won't want his siblings sharing BP with him (Although I think Anne at least is based out of St James' as well as having private rooms there).

In reality none of us know but its fun to speculate.

As part of ongoing restoration golden Chandeliers return to Kensington Palace after 200 years.

As part of ongoing restoration golden Chandeliers return to Kensington Palace after 200 years.

Fascinating! Wonderful to think that such superb craftsmanship still survives.

The book that the Head of Collections references at 0.53 would be W.H. Payne's History of the Royal Residences 1819.

Isn't it just wonderful,they did a superb job!

Back
Top Bottom