The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

If they pay market rent, then I don't think there would be an issue. Charles may help out older members of the family as the Queen does, but I dont believe younger one's will get help. Most people appreciate that they need a secure environment so long as they (the public) don't have to pay for it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Royal Highness

Kensington Gardens was once the private gardens of Kensington Palace. Queen Caroline, the wife of King George II, was an enthusiast for gardens. She commissioned the Serpentine and Long Water, a large lake at the eastern end of the Gardens created from a string of ponds.

Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany gave a statue of King William III of England to his uncle, Edward VII.
The statue of William III was placed outside the south front of Kensington Palace.
On July 31st, 2004, Lady Davina Windsor, daughter of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, married Gary Lewis at the chapel of Kensington Palace.
Kensington Palace was Lady Davina's childhood home.
What a wonderful setting for the bride!
John Vanbrugh worked for King George I on Kensington Palace, where three state rooms and a series of courtyards were added.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Nobility

What is likely to happen to the apartments currently occupied by Queen's cousins when they become vacant?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Courtier

Well i guess in time Anne, Edward and Andrew may need somewhere new to live and work from. I can't see them staying at Buckingham Palace once Charles is King as
1) if he and Camilla move in I doubt they'd want his brothers and sister hanging around all that much
2) Charles and Camilla may stay put at Clarence House and leave Buckingham Palace empty - if they do this I suspect they would rather the rest of the RF left so it could be opened up much more (the fact that other members of the RF have apartments there was used as a reason why it couldn't be opened more to the public at the recent Public Accounts committee.

My own guess would be that in time KP will become the "Aunt (and Uncle) heap" again.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry will get a large apartment when one becomes vacant.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
What is likely to happen to the apartments currently occupied by Queen's cousins when they become vacant?
They will be renovated (that asbestos issue will not go away) and re-assigned to family based on needs, contributions and ability to pay for housing. If the family does not occupy, they could become apartments for top aids.or used as office space.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Courtier

KP vacant apartments are now rented out to the public. (Thorough background checks.)

I am sure as more become vacant, they will rent them out.

W&K were originally offered a place at BP, then CH. I think the RF wanted to open KP to the public to generate revenue. (W&K didn't go along with plan.)

I don't see Princess Anne moving from St. James' Palace to KP.

Edward & Andrew will stay at BP.
BP is suppose to have 52 guest/royal bedrooms & 188 staff bedroom. There is plenty of room for Edward & Andrew without getting in anyone's way.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Majesty

Another side of the question is: would they want to stay in the home of their brother? Living in the same home as their parents is one thing but a brother and even a nephew - hmmm.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
KP vacant apartments are now rented out to the public. (Thorough background checks.)

I am sure as more become vacant, they will rent them out.

W&K were originally offered a place at BP, then CH. I think the RF wanted to open KP to the public to generate revenue. (W&K didn't go along with plan.)

I don't see Princess Anne moving from St. James' Palace to KP.

Edward & Andrew will stay at BP.
BP is suppose to have 52 guest/royal bedrooms & 188 staff bedroom. There is plenty of room for Edward & Andrew without getting in anyone's way.
The public areas of KP are open to the public already. They are run by the Historical Palaces people who also run the Tower of London and Hampton Court. They were occupying apt 1a as office space before being given other spaces to make room for William and Kate.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Please stop calling the duchess "Kate". Her name is Catherine. Prince william even calls her Catherine. Just saying.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Courtier

Interesting first post.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie1990uk View Post
Please stop calling the duchess "Kate". Her name is Catherine. Prince william even calls her Catherine. Just saying.
I'm drifting off-topic here, but I think it's fine when people call Catherine 'Kate', as that AFAIK has been her nickname since childhood, even though William calls her Catherine. It's like people calling Sarah Ferguson 'Fergie', Queen Maxima 'Max', CP Mette-Marit 'MM', and so on. It's not as if we're calling her 'Waity Katie' or another negative nickname.

I think people are also more familiar with Kate than Catherine, which is why I often say Kate to my friends and family and Catherine on here. If I said Catherine to my friends, they would come back with "Catherine who? Don't you mean Kate?" My family seem to be more comfortable with Kate, but know that her full name is Catherine.

To conclude, there are a few people here, including myself, who refer to Catherine by her full name. If others always call her Kate and nothing else, then I will too.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Actually when they were in the USA, I was listening to video of them talking and he called her Kate.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Courtier

Kensington Palace

Yes he has called her Kate several times. Even in the engagement video! And there was once for a short time only an article about her work for party pieces on the company's homepage written by her mother. She also called her Kate.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A tour of Kensington Palace from CNN

Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:

I agree. And people should also stop calling her Princess Kate and Duchess Kate. It's so very wrong.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Also an interesting first post.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I agree. And people should also stop calling her Princess Kate and Duchess Kate. It's so very wrong.

They've said previously they don't mind when she's called Kate. In the intro video at the bafta event in 2011.

And William often calls her Kate.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Nobility

I got a bit of a shock at the "Diana" wallpaper when I visited Kensington Palace - all sad blue eyes. I was suprised to see it.

(But then Windsor Castle was selling plush corgi dogs wearing crowns, sitting on cushions saying "God Save the Queen" - so maybe things aren't that "stuffy" these days.)

Anyway, I was very taken with the wallpaper and photographed every version of Diana represented on it, and spent more time with that, than some of the other things.

And no trouble taking photos the day I went - I got some good shots of the Queen's, Princess Margaret's and Diana's dresses that were on display.

And what different figures they had - the Queen and PM petite and hour-glass and Diana broad-shouldered and just big.

(Still travelling and can't upload photos from my tablet.)
Old 11-02-2014, 04:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I think a lot of younger people think that basically the Queen is old and has shrunk a little. It takes seeing something like that to make you realise just how attractive and petite she and her sister were in their hey-day and that she and her sister wore some absolutely gorgeous, fabulous, to-die-for gowns.