The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I dont believe that either the Duke of Duchess has had anything to say about the refurbishment of the public areas of Kensington Palace. The UK press have as usual muddled the line between private apartments and public areas.

But do agree about the mesh, shiny spider's web thing - horrible.

It would be great to see the difference in the new/proposed layouts because a large part of the previously private gardens has been given over to the public area.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Aristocracy

As I discuss on my website, I really enjoyed visiting the Old Kensington Palace museum in 2009. I will be interested to see the renovated palace next time I am in London

Changing the Experience at Kensington Palace | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Serene Highness

Warren, thank you for posting that piece in its entirety.

KittyAtlanta, I think it's a stretch to blame Kate for a mesh satellite dish. I mean, seriously, satellite dishes are pretty standard in housing these days and, well, are there really any Brits who disdain the modern? No TV for them? Not even for ball games?

Attractiveness and utility are a trade-off, but both are in the eye of the beholder. Again, mind-boggling that one would think that such a decision were left to anyone but expert engineers, designers and architects.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Gentry

The "satellite dish" that KittyAtlanta is referring to is not a satellite dish per se, but a modern art sculpture that has been installed in one of the interior rooms at KP. It greatly resembles a mesh satellite dish.

Since this refurbishment has been in progress for some time, and these projects are years in the making, I really doubt that Catherine had any influence in the direction or scope of the project, much less the selection of the artists or art objects utilized.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

The 'modern' parts of the KP renovation are at attempt to appeal to a younger demographic who wouldn't otherwise be interested in visiting this kind of building. There are several 'traditional' royal palaces in the UK for people to visit, this is KP's attempt to differentiate itself. It's very different and perhaps not to traditionalists' tastes, but KP has to pay it's own way given that it receives no government subsidy. The only way it can do that is to get more paying customers through the door.

I'd say the chances of Kate having anything whatsoever to do with the renovation are precisely zero.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Good job on the restoration of the "traditional" areas. Not so keen on the "remodeling" with that very unattractive mesh satellite dish. Kate likes modern, so she probably approved that thing. Ugh. JMO.
William and Kate will be involved in the refurbishment of their new apartment which is only in the "rip out the asbestoes" stage and will not be ready to move into until mid 2013.

Their input into the layout, style and interior decoration of the public rooms of Kensinton Palace is nil! To be honest, I think there would be hell to pay if Kate tried to interfere in something under the control of the Historic Royal Palaces.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
To be honest, I think there would be hell to pay if Kate tried to interfere in something under the control of the Historic Royal Palaces.
But wouldn't she then "use her education" for the sake of the RF and thus do something valuable instead (to quote some members) just go shopping and don't do anything else...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Courtier

The renovation of KP was conceived and planned long before William and Catherine were engaged. They had no input.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Warren, thank you for posting that piece in its entirety.
Thanks PK, but that's my edited version of the original and longer MailOnline article.
I included what I found interesting and relevant and what I thought would be of interest to members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
But wouldn't she then "use her education" for the sake of the RF and thus do something valuable...
She studied Art History, not 'Old Royal Palace Rebuilding and Renovation'.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't care for the new look for KP.

I found it quite disorienting! I continually had to backtrack to get form one section to another. Also, none of the many pictures were labeled correctly so it was difficult to know who the people were! (Some were recognizable, like Queen Victoria or Disraeli, but others were not).

The courtiers who were gossiping were dramatic, but really didn't work with large groups, because you had to be seated with your ear next to the microphone to distinguish the words! Not practical at all.

The broadsheets were fun, but will need to be replaced constantly.

On the whole I was quite disappointed, and liked it better before!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Commoner

My son and daughter are heading to Europe mid May and by mid June they will be in London (he is now a geologist and is treating his sister to this trip). Kensington Palace is one of the attractions they will be seeing. After reading the above I'll be sure to ask them what they thought of the exhibitions there. However being that they are from Western Canada, where castles are somewhat rare , I have a feeling they won't be too critical and I hope they will have a better understanding of the BRF afterwards (I'm positive their education wasn't as extensive as previous generations re the BRF).

Can one take photographs whilst in KP?
Thou many-headed monster-thing, O who would wish to be thy king?--
Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 PM

Photography is not permitted in Kensington Palace, unfortunately. I did not care at all for the "new look" - it has lost that gorgeous unique ambience it had previously. I did appreciate the quality of exhibits from the Royal Collection and the Museum of London, many of which I was familiar with. But I did find the visit disappointing, compared to what I experienced in previous years before the make-over.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisabethChristine
Photography is not permitted in Kensington Palace, unfortunately. I did not care at all for the "new look" - it has lost that gorgeous unique ambience it had previously. I did appreciate the quality of exhibits from the Royal Collection and the Museum of London, many of which I was familiar with. But I did find the visit disappointing, compared to what I experienced in previous years before the make-over.
Oh really .... I love the new look . Much more family friendly . The children and I had a wonderful few visits this summer and the outside area is so much more opened up . The lovely grassy banks to sit on and the walkways with flowers above . And the outside area for the new coffee shop is really good idea . I loved the exhibitions too . As its on my doorstep I will be in their all the time .
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Majesty

Queen to hire out William and Kate's Kensington Palace garden:
Queen to hire out William and Kate's Kensington Palace garden - London - News - London Evening Standard
Old 06-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Courtier

Diana, and the baby buried in her garden | Mail Online

Does anyone know if the body of Rosa Monckton's child has been removed from KP? I know they probably won't/didn't publicly announce it.

KP was not privately owned by Diana or her family. It is a crown property & a private person should not be buried there. Diana crossed the line.

IMO, the body should never have been allowed to be buried there. The body should be exhumed and returned to the parents.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Courtier

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...20_964x821.jpg

Question about the KP Map. If the PM was #2 and the Wales was #5 how did one back into the other? #8 stand between them.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Majesty

Video:
Royal dresses on display at Kensington Palace:
Dresses from the collections of the Queen, Princess Margaret and Diana go on display as part of the new 'Fashion Rules' exhibition at Kensington Palace-
Video: Royal dresses on display at Kensington Palace - Telegraph

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Nobility

It will be interesting to see what happens at KP once the apartments of the Michaels and Gloucesters become available, along with Wren House. Prince Harry may find himself as the resident in the palace in the future!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens at KP once the apartments of the Michaels and Gloucesters become available, along with Wren House. Prince Harry may find himself as the resident in the palace in the future!
Other royals can move in, as long as they pay rent - so Beatrice and Eugenie; the Wessexes - if they want a larger London base than previously mentioned; homes for senior officials as now. Peerhaps even Camilla if she outlives Charles and wants a smaller London base. Lots of choices.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Other royals can move in, as long as they pay rent - so Beatrice and Eugenie; the Wessexes - if they want a larger London base than previously mentioned; homes for senior officials as now. Peerhaps even Camilla if she outlives Charles and wants a smaller London base. Lots of choices.
Yes, Cepe, all in the fullness of time. And while Charles may have a vague vision about a long range goal for who is where, life events do not unfold on one's predetermined schedule. Ditto, public opinion and finances, which will also play a role in decision-making.