The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Ut oh! Quick! Hide the pens and paper and the silver. Its the Daily Fail readers coming!

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 09-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, they'll probably scrawl graffiti on a wall somewhere inside, with a red crayon!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Majesty

Nice reading the speculation on the future of Highgrove. These days it is still in use and is even used for cultural events. Music has become part of the place.

As to future occupants, I cannot see William and Catherine forgoing Anmrr Hall and I think it may take extreme measures to move them from their London base, Apartment 1A Kensington Palace.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Rudolph are you treating?
Old 12-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Majesty

I forget..how big are their KP apartments?

LaRae
Old 12-04-2017, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Question just came to me: does Charles still use Highgrove as a weekend retreat? He has Clarance House and his place in Scotland, plus he travels so extensively. Has Highgrove gone it's own way these days, on automatic, as a tourist attraction? Anyone know?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:19 AM
Majesty

Charles still uses it and Harry and Megan were rumoured to have spent some time there during their courtship. Terrific place to be if they did as Charles and Camilla only spend time there when they have a long weekend or some such.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Question just came to me: does Charles still use Highgrove as a weekend retreat? He has Clarance House and his place in Scotland, plus he travels so extensively. Has Highgrove gone it's own way these days, on automatic, as a tourist attraction? Anyone know?
As I understand it, Clarence house is their 'working home'. Birkhall they spend new years at and some time in the summer when in Scotland. Highgrove is their main country retreat.

I know most people seem to think that 'the long country walks' Harry and Meghan took were at Windsor. I have a feeling some if not many may have been at Highgrove. Far more privacy from any press then Windsor since they kept low key and were never spotted. And it's Harry's childhood home, he'd likely wish to share it with her.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Highgrove not being in use by Charles would be like a day without sunshine.

That's his bolthole. Its his sanctuary. Its the place he most likes to call home. Every inch of the Highgrove estate is perfectly attuned to Charles the man from the wildflowers to the Stumpery.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, All, for the insights.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I've never heard that he was not using it. I thnk its his favourite home..
Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Highgrove is also convenient to Raymill, Camilla's home. I don't think Charles would want to be miles away. I agree that Highgrove is Charles's sanctuary. I don't know how often he gets to relax there now though, as his workload has increased even more in recent times.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
My understanding is that Highfrove is used every weekend that they are not in Scotland or abroad. it is also used when they are not doing engagements in London or elsewhere in the country.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
My understanding is that Highfrove is used every weekend that they are not in Scotland or abroad. it is also used when they are not doing engagements in London or elsewhere in the country.
He pretty much lived there during the later Diana years, while D had the London apartments.. so I am sure he still spends as much time there as he can
Old 12-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Highgrove is a place where Charles has built it from the ground up. Literally. This is most likely the closest thing he has to calling "home" and he's done wonders with the place. Its not just a place to hang his hat but an ongoing love affair with the land. Between Birkhall and Highgrove, I would bet that these two are where Charles feels the most comfortable.

Its not just his home though. He's built it up to continue on to be a profitable business for the Duchy of Cornwall. Not only did Duchy Originals start there which is now a very profitable business but there are also tours and a restaurant at Highgrove.

This man is one shrewd businessman.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...inable-farming

Old 12-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Courtier

So true Osipi. It’s remarkable what Charles has done with Highgrove. I always think he’s happiest there, just a man in his home.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
So true Osipi. It’s remarkable what Charles has done with Highgrove. I always think he’s happiest there, just a man in his home.
The heck with being in his house. I'd think it'd be more fitting to say he's happiest when digging in his gardens. Being at one with the Earth.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Courtier

Happy gardening!
Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Before the marriage in 1981 the Prince of Wales was offered at least two houses as residences in the Country -

Chevening House, Kent .

Built between 1617 and 1630 to a design reputedly by Inigo Jones and greatly extended after 1717.
Formerly the principal seat of the Earls Stanhope, under the Chevening Estate Act 1959 (amended 1987) the house and estate are held in trust by the Board of Trustees of the Chevening Estate to serve as a furnished country residence for a person nominated by the Prime Minister, so qualified by being a member of the Cabinet or a descendant of King George VI..

This magnificent House and estate , conveniently placed for both London and Sandringham was rejected by the Prince of Wales, reportedly because his late Wife [and then fiance] didn't care for it...

Chevening is now used as the Country residence of the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, currently Mr Boris Johnson.

The other House, Belton House in Lincolnshire, is of even greater Architectural and Historic significance, built for the Brownlow family in 1680
Belton has been described as a compilation of all that is finest of Carolean architecture, the only truly vernacular style of architecture that England had produced since the Tudor period. The house has also been described as the most complete example of a typical English country house, and is now in the care of the National Trust.

It's location, near Grantham in Lincolnshire is fairly remote from London, hence its rejection by the Prince.

Either of these Houses would be a far more fitting residence for the Heir to the throne [imo],than Highgrove, which [prior to the alterations made by the PoW] was fit only for a 'Country Parson' to live in], and is of considerable architectural mediocrity..

Pictures of both these wonderful Houses are easily to be found on 'Google Images', but non-copyrighted aren't easy to track down, so I haven't posted any images here.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

According to the article below Charles was having second thoughts about Chevening as early as April 1978 (and probably before) and finally rejected it in 1980, before he began his relationship with Diana.

Chevening House, Kent

Tags
duchy of cornwall, duke of cornwall, highgrove, prince charles, prince of wales