Hever Castle, Kent

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anne Boleyn's father died at Hever Castle on the 12th of March 1539 and his mother Lady Margaret Butler was the last of the family to live there and died at an unknown date after her sons death.

Anne's mother Lady Elizabeth Howard had died in April 1538.

Hever seems to have been a place full of oak and other dark wooded panelled walls. Wonderful to look at today, especially in natural light or with electric lighting.

It doesn’t take much imagination however to imagine how dark it must have appeared to the inhabitants after sunset, lighted by only a few candles in each room, and with very small windows. Whenever I’ve visited such castles and palaces, beautiful though they usually are I’m always thankful to have been born in an age of electricity!

Last edited:
Hever seems to have been a place full of oak and other dark wooded panelled walls. Wonderful to look at today, especially in natural light or with electric lighting.

It doesn’t take much imagination however to imagine how dark it must have appeared to the inhabitants after sunset, lighted by only a few candles in each room, and with very small windows. Whenever I’ve visited such castles and palaces, beautiful though they usually are I’m always thankful to have been born in an age of electricity!

Its a castle I really would love to see some day!

Hever Castle has two of Queen Anne Boleyn's prayer books, or Books of Hours. They were made in Belgium in about 1450 and were printed on vellum.

Back
Top Bottom