Hampton Court Palace

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would love to have an opportunity to stay at Hampton court only that I would be scared to see a Tudor ghost haunting the place,otherwise it would be nice to have the chance to sleep at a palace.

I think Katherine Howard's ghost reputedly haunts the gallery at Hampton Court. Isn't this where she was dragged away screaming in her attempts to see Henry after he found out about her infidelities?

They have the most divine gardens there. I might put up with a ghost or two to look at them every day.

I would love to have an opportunity to stay at Hampton court only that I would be scared to see a Tudor ghost haunting the place,otherwise it would be nice to have the chance to sleep at a palace.

Actually, I would love to spend the night there to go ghost hunting!

I think Katherine Howard's ghost reputedly haunts the gallery at Hampton Court. Isn't this where she was dragged away screaming in her attempts to see Henry after he found out about her infidelities?

It was where she was arrested, after the king learned she cheated on him, while at chapel. She was under arrest for four days there, before being sent to the tower. Rumor has it, she escaped guards and went screaming downt the 'haunted gallery' begging the king to see her.

Jane Seymour's ghost is also said to haunt it. She is said to appear in the halls on the anniversary of her son's birth. She died there two weeks after giving birth to Edward.

Hampton court is one of the best grand Tudor palace along with st James palace.

The Pond Garden's three sunken gardens were once ponds for keeping freshwater fish until they were needed for the kitchen.
Under Henry VIII the Pond Garden was decorated with statues of heraldic beasts on poles and sundials.

If you walk through the sweet-scented laburnum arch walk in early summer, you will be very happy.

The laburnum is absolutely gorgeous!
The yellow flowers of laburnum are responsible for the poetic name "golden chain tree".

The brickwork of Hampton Court Palace was generally painted.
The heraldic carvings that crowned gables, turrets and cappings held ephemeral vanes and banners.

King Charles I was especially fond of Hampton Court.
The court's stately formality expressed his belief in an ordered hierarchy, with himself at the summit.

The turrets flanking the gatehouse in the Tudor West Front at Hampton Court hold roundels with the heads of Roman emperors.

Last edited by a moderator:
The laburnum arch

If you walk through the sweet-scented laburnum arch walk in early summer, you will be very happy.

Hampton Court was a favourite British residence of William III and Mary II, King and Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland, Prince and Princess of Orange. No wonder this residence is often used when it is about British-Dutch encounters.

In 1982 Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau used Hampton Court to organize a grand banquet. On this picture a group portrait is made in front of a gobelin hanging in the Baroque Palace, the extension build by William & Mary. On the picture you see:
- HRH Prince Claus
- HM Queen Elizabeth
- HM Queen Elizabeth II
- HM Queen Beatrix
- HRH Prince Philip
Source: ANP Historisch Archief http://www.anp-archief.nl/attachment/2114382

Seven years later Hampton Court was again used, now for a concert by the Bands of the Irish Guards and the Scots Guards. Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus were guests of honour. The youngest generation was invited too. On this picture you see:
- Prince William
- Prince Harry
- Prince Charles
- Queen Beatrix
- Prince Claus
- Princess Margaret
Source: ANP Historisch Archief http://www.anp-archief.nl/attachment/83261

Last edited:
Hampton Manor was once used by the Knights of St John until acquired by Thomas Wolsey. All Henry VIII's wives, with the exception of Katherine of Aragon lived at Hampton Court Palace at one time or another.

When Jane, Henry's Queen died, after the birth of their son, Henry fled, as he couldn't bear to be in the same place as his wife's body. He later married Katherine Parr at Hampton Park. His daughter Elizabeth ordered that the exotic new plants, including tobacco and potato be grown in the extensive gardens.

The Great Hall was often used as a setting for plays. Shakespeare performed there in 1603, and in 1604 King James convened a conference to resolve issues between the Anglican Church and the Puritans. Charles I and II both honeymooned at Hampton Court. Queen Anne began the Royal Stud in the stables. It was Queen Victoria who opened the Palace and gardens to the public in 1838.

Hampton Court is one of my favourite royal palaces. I've been there twice and would love to go again. The interior is indeed majestic though I'm less keen on the Gun Room, because I'm not a fan of the guns or the colours of the room as it's a little too masculine for my taste (but then again, it is a Gun Room so I guess that's expected). My favourite parts of the Palace are the Chapel Royal, The King's Staircase and of course the gardens.

I also wish that it was used for more royal events. I think the Chapel Royal would be a beautiful place to have a royal wedding but it's too small for all the guests (having said that I guess it depends on how many guests are there). The only wedding within the BRF that has been held at Hampton Court in recent times is IIRC Lord Frederick Windsor (son of Prince and Princess Michael) and Sophie Winkleman. I'm not sure whereabouts in the Palace they got married in though.

Hampton Manor was once used by the Knights of St John until acquired by Thomas Wolsey. All Henry VIII's wives, with the exception of Katherine of Aragon lived at Hampton Court Palace at one time or another.

When Jane, Henry's Queen died, after the birth of their son, Henry fled, as he couldn't bear to be in the same place as his wife's body. He later married Katherine Parr at Hampton Park. His daughter Elizabeth ordered that the exotic new plants, including tobacco and potato be grown in the extensive gardens.

The Great Hall was often used as a setting for plays. Shakespeare performed there in 1603, and in 1604 King James convened a conference to resolve issues between the Anglican Church and the Puritans. Charles I and II both honeymooned at Hampton Court. Queen Anne began the Royal Stud in the stables. It was Queen Victoria who opened the Palace and gardens to the public in 1838.

Thank you for your fascinating post. :flowers: I wonder why Catherine of Aragon was the only one of Henry VIII's wives who didn't stay there. Perhaps she just preferred the other royal palaces. I also didn't realise that after Jane Seymour's death Henry VIII refused to go to the Palace, or that it was the venue for Shakespeare's and other plays. I've read that Mary I spent her honeymoon at Hampton Court, but I would need to double check that.

Here are some of my own photos of Hampton Court, which were taken last spring:

Attachments

• Hampton Court.jpg
    Hampton Court.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 702
  • Hampton Court Fountain.jpg
    Hampton Court Fountain.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 695
  • Hampton Court Gardens.jpg
    Hampton Court Gardens.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 647
  • Flower at Hampton Court.jpg
    Flower at Hampton Court.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 676
  • Hampton Court Palace Gardens 2.jpg
    Hampton Court Palace Gardens 2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 635
Thank you for your fascinating post. :flowers: I wonder why Catherine of Aragon was the only one of Henry VIII's wives who didn't stay there.

Hi HereditaryPrincess,
I think the reason Catherine of Aragon didn't stay at HP at any time is it was Cardinal Wolsey's palace for most of her marriage. It was essentially over by the time it came into Henry's possession (after Wolsey's fall when he couldn't engineer a divorce) so it's unlikely she'd accompany him to HP, especially as Henry had made it pretty clear he was trying to replace her.

I also think she wasn't that keen on Wolsey but I don't know if this is historical fact or I've picked this up from a film/TV programme!

Love your pics! HP is one of my favourite palaces, you can almost smell the history. :flowers:

Its doubtful that Catherine ever stayed there as the Cardinal only started work on it in 1514 and it wasn't completed until 1525.The Cardinal only really lived in it for a few years until he passed it onto the king as a gift in 1528.I maybe wrong but I believe that Queen Catherine wasn't particularly fond of Cardinal Wolsey .

Here are some photos I took at Hampton Court Palace.

Attachments

• IMG_1883.jpg
    IMG_1883.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1867.jpg
    IMG_1867.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 206
Some more photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 198
More of my photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 154
More of my photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 158
Thanks for posting these lovely photos. It's been many years since I visited Hampton Court but it all looks as lovely as I remember.

More photos I took.

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 187
Hi Curryong.

We loved it.

The maze, the wagon ride around the grounds, the costumed courtiers gambling and challenging each other about who was cheating - at the top of their voices making us jump, the gardens of course, the deer, the swans.

Attachments

• IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 152
Sun Lion your photos are fantastic!! As if I'm there.

Hampton Court Palace flower show to highlight the plight of refugees

https://t.co/XR8Ft4KXfD

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing. Such an amazing place, I will never forget it. :flowers:

Fantastic photos of a truly remarkable and beautiful place to be. As I most likely will never visit there in my lifetime, these are the next best thing.

Thanks Sun Lion!

Over at YouTube is a BBC special celebrating the 500th Anniversary of Hampton Court. It's co hosted by Lucy Worsley and David Starkey and shows a full scaled production/reenactment of little Prince Edward Tudor's Christening as one of the Events held to mark the Anniversary. Combine that w/all the History they cover in it and I highly reccomend it.

On the iPad, so can't link it, but hopefully someone can. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom