The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for posting these pictures Dierna23. This chapel is gorgeous! The blue & gold ceiling is beautiful.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Aristocracy

Love the work done in the Chapel!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I love the inside of the chapel, the detail is incredible.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Aristocracy

Here is a story about the chapel. The story is told in a sort of mystical way I might say, but worth watching.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Forgive what is probably a silly question from an American, but suppose the queen decided she wanted to live in Hampton Court, or any other royal residence she doesn't currently inhabit.
Would she be able to do so, or is that not an option?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Forgive what is probably a silly question from an American, but suppose the queen decided she wanted to live in Hampton Court, or any other royal residence she doesn't currently inhabit.
Would she be able to do so, or is that not an option?

Technically she probably could but these other places don't have the security etc and there are many people whose livelihoods would be affected as well as their homes. There are a number of people who live at Hampton Court for instance. Many of the people who work there live nearby so saying well they could have the same jobs in the home she gives up isn't quite that simple as their pay wouldn't increase but their access to work changes etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Courtier

renting an apartment at Hampton Court Palace

Apparently, there are apartments within the Palace available for rental by vacationers. Here's a link to the site with information:
Historic Royal Palaces > Home > Hampton Court Palace > Plan your visit > Accommodation in the palace
Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder how much it would cost to rent lodgings in the palace? It would be fantastic to spend days and nights in such history!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks to Santa, I found the fourth and final season of The Tudors under our tree a few days ago. Thanks to one heck of a vicious bug that's been doing the rounds, and nailed me on Boxing Day, I haven't been able to look at it until this morning. As I do w/most DVD TV Seasons of shows I love, I usually go straight to the Special Features first and on this one, there's a special about Hampton Court Palace, which was made to mark the 500th Anniversary Celebrations and is hosted by Natalie Dormer, who played Anne Boleyn in the series.

It is excellent!! We see the gardens as they were during Henry's time, the Kitchens, the Great Hall and that tapistry that starts this very thread. Also during the visits to the Great Hall, Natalie asks the Tudor expert who is her and our guide if it would be allowed for her to sit in the Queen's chair. The look on her face as she asks is priceless!!

I just thought I'd mention that for those interested in seeing more of Hampton Court Palace.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Apparently, there are apartments within the Palace available for rental by vacationers. Here's a link to the site with information:
Historic Royal Palaces > Home > Hampton Court Palace > Plan your visit > Accommodation in the palace
I know this is way old but OMG!!!!!! I would so love to stay there! I am obsessed with Tudor history! I'll have to keep this in mind for when I visit England one day.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Serene Highness

I would love to have an opportunity to stay at Hampton court only that I would be scared to see a Tudor ghost haunting the place,otherwise it would be nice to have the chance to sleep at a palace.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Katherine Howard's ghost reputedly haunts the gallery at Hampton Court. Isn't this where she was dragged away screaming in her attempts to see Henry after he found out about her infidelities?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

They have the most divine gardens there. I might put up with a ghost or two to look at them every day.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I would love to have an opportunity to stay at Hampton court only that I would be scared to see a Tudor ghost haunting the place,otherwise it would be nice to have the chance to sleep at a palace.
Actually, I would love to spend the night there to go ghost hunting!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

At first glance they look the picture of elegance, all serene expressions and ruffled silk set against spectacular backdrops.
But the baroque beauties shown in these portraits were among the most scandalous socialites of their day, living a life on the edge as mistresses to the 'merry monarch' Charles II.

Read more: Ravishing baroque portraits of Stuart women who inhabited the court of 'merry monarch' Charles II to be shown at Hampton Court exhibition | Mail Online
Old 03-09-2012, 03:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I think Katherine Howard's ghost reputedly haunts the gallery at Hampton Court. Isn't this where she was dragged away screaming in her attempts to see Henry after he found out about her infidelities?
It was where she was arrested, after the king learned she cheated on him, while at chapel. She was under arrest for four days there, before being sent to the tower. Rumor has it, she escaped guards and went screaming downt the 'haunted gallery' begging the king to see her.

Jane Seymour's ghost is also said to haunt it. She is said to appear in the halls on the anniversary of her son's birth. She died there two weeks after giving birth to Edward.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

Hampton court is one of the best grand Tudor palace along with st James palace.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Majesty

Old 04-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Royal Highness

The Pond Garden's three sunken gardens were once ponds for keeping freshwater fish until they were needed for the kitchen.
Under Henry VIII the Pond Garden was decorated with statues of heraldic beasts on poles and sundials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
If you walk through the sweet-scented laburnum arch walk in early summer, you will be very happy.
The laburnum is absolutely gorgeous!
The yellow flowers of laburnum are responsible for the poetic name "golden chain tree".
The brickwork of Hampton Court Palace was generally painted.
The heraldic carvings that crowned gables, turrets and cappings held ephemeral vanes and banners.
King Charles I was especially fond of Hampton Court.
The court's stately formality expressed his belief in an ordered hierarchy, with himself at the summit.
The turrets flanking the gatehouse in the Tudor West Front at Hampton Court hold roundels with the heads of Roman emperors.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Courtier

The laburnum arch

If you walk through the sweet-scented laburnum arch walk in early summer, you will be very happy.